Prudent Player Precautions Before Nov 8 Server Merges

Andryah

I am not making the case for others to follow suit, just providing the steps I am taking to help mitigate possible issues caused by the merges. The steps I am taking relate to A) things not in game with the last merges (like Strongholds) that we have never seen via a merge before, B) things that represent separate databases on the server and as such could get glitched during merges.

Not that I feel we as players should have to take any of these precautions (we really shouldn't), just that $%#^ does happen and I really want to take any steps I can to mitigate impacts from any glitching from the merge activities. This is synonymous with being a defensive driver when in my auto, not that I should have to.. but %$^# does happen and so being proactively defensive to the extent possible is in my personal best interests.

So.... what I am doing:

1) Remove all listings from GTN prior to Nov 8 - REASON = just to be sure no items go missing via the merge, and the clearest way for me to keep tabs on this is to just make sure none of my characters have anything listed on the GTN.

2) Remove all mail from mail boxes for each character - REASON = just to be sure that nothing goes missing via the merge, and the clearest way to do that is to clean out all character mail boxes prior to Nov 8.

3) Move all characters to Fleet. - REASON = Fleet is historically the one safe place that a character can be parked to insure you can actually log in to said character when you load your client. My main defensive hedge here is to insure that merging servers in no way causes any of my characters to get frozen on infinite login after the merge and have to be moved by the studio to Fleet to fix the issues. This IS a known issue with character transfers in some cases over the past year or two, so it is particularly prudent since we have never seen server merges since strongholds were released.

4) Empty Legacy Storage - REASON = Since they will be somehow merging legacies in the Nov 8 merge, it is possible that something may get glitched or I may think I have something in storage but don't and then struggle looking for it in Legacy storage and/or open tickets for said "missing items". This insures that I know my legacy storage is empty for the merge and I can repack the legacy storage after the merge. Great time to actually clean out and reorganize some stuff too. We have never seen them merge legacy storage in a prior merge, so it is prudent to assume some issue of some sort.

5) Spread my credit wealth across multiple characters - REASON = just to be sure that I don't somehow after the merge have an issue with my main character that holds most of my credits and that I am unable to access them until whatever problem is resolved.

Again, not lobbying for others to follow my steps, just sharing what I feel are possible trouble points in the merge that I as a player can take simple and reasonable steps to mitigate in advance.

Edited by Andryah

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I took LOTS of screenshots clearly showing the following:

items in my storage (legacy and personal) and inventory. (including how many credits each character had)

what I had equipped,

what items in collections I had unlocked

collected decorations that were important to me.

What I had unlocked for each characters legacy unlocks.

Family tree

Strongholds window showing which SHs were unlocked and how many rooms were unlocked.

Some other stuff.

I'm not expecting to lose all my stuff. But, it's better to be safe than sorry.

These are great tips. I have done the following to prepare:

Taken screen shots of the following, or am in the process of doing so. Basically I've tried to document anything that can possibly be erased

1. Full list of unlocked decos

2. My stronghold list

3. My Legacy screen list of unlocked datacrons

4. My log-in screen showing all characters and levels

5. All of my characters' pets

6. All of my characters' vehicles

7. Everything I have unlocked in Collections

8. For those characters in a romance, I've taken a screen shot of the companion screen that says "you have started a romantic relationship with....")

9. My characters' lists of companions, which also show their influence levels

10. Everything that's sitting unclaimed in my cartel pack stash

Edited by IoNonSoEVero

Tomorrow it'll be clean up day.

All my legacy contains is mats, so don't care about that.

Mailboxes will have either credits or non-sold goods, most are fairly valuable. Only on the imp side though. So that'll have to be done.

I'll not be back in game for a long time after that but it'll be nice to come back to non-obliterated toons.

I'm all done for the merge.

--All 94 toons on the main account moved out of strongholds, check.

--Legacy banks with plenty of space for them to be combined without needing an overflow queue, check.

--Names on all 17 servers preserved to the extent that I can, check.

--3 quarts of pop corn made for post-merge forum PVP, check.

Good to go.

I have a legacy bank on Shadowlands and JC. Both are max size and nearly completely full. I also own the max amount of strongholds on each server, and own a republic guild ship on each as well. I've already cleared my mailboxes, but that's about as far as I went. I don't have the time to go through and sort through everything I have. If I lose anything, then I'll just call it quits and not come back like I have in the past.

I have a legacy bank on Shadowlands and JC. Both are max size and nearly completely full. I also own the max amount of strongholds on each server, and own a republic guild ship on each as well. I've already cleared my mailboxes, but that's about as far as I went. I don't have the time to go through and sort through everything I have. If I lose anything, then I'll just call it quits and not come back like I have in the past.

You won't lose anything, you'll just have to wade through an overflow queue until you find a place to squirrel everything away.

I'm fine with sorting as I go, afterwards. But as of now, I literally do not have the time to spend sorting it all out.

Um yes you do. You have more than enough time. You play a video game for hours on end. We are not talking about cutting your grass here.

I am not making the case for others to follow suit, just providing the steps I am taking to help mitigate possible issues caused by the merges. The steps I am taking relate to A) things not in game with the last merges (like Strongholds) that we have never seen via a merge before, B) things that represent separate databases on the server and as such could get glitched during merges.

Not that I feel we as players should have to take any of these precautions (we really shouldn't), just that $%#^ does happen and I really want to take any steps I can to mitigate impacts from any glitching from the merge activities. This is synonymous with being a defensive driver when in my auto, not that I should have to.. but %$^# does happen and so being proactively defensive to the extent possible is in my personal best interests.

So.... what I am doing:

1) Remove all listings from GTN prior to Nov 8 - REASON = just to be sure no items go missing via the merge, and the clearest way for me to keep tabs on this is to just make sure none of my characters have anything listed on the GTN.

2) Remove all mail from mail boxes for each character - REASON = just to be sure that nothing goes missing via the merge, and the clearest way to do that is to clean out all character mail boxes prior to Nov 8.

3) Move all characters to Fleet. - REASON = Fleet is historically the one safe place that a character can be parked to insure you can actually log in to said character when you load your client. My main defensive hedge here is to insure that merging servers in no way causes any of my characters to get frozen on infinite login after the merge and have to be moved by the studio to Fleet to fix the issues. This IS a known issue with character transfers in some cases over the past year or two, so it is particularly prudent since we have never seen server merges since strongholds were released.

4) Empty Legacy Storage - REASON = Since they will be somehow merging legacies in the Nov 8 merge, it is possible that something may get glitched or I may think I have something in storage but don't and then struggle looking for it in Legacy storage and/or open tickets for said "missing items". This insures that I know my legacy storage is empty for the merge and I can repack the legacy storage after the merge. Great time to actually clean out and reorganize some stuff too. We have never seen them merge legacy storage in a prior merge, so it is prudent to assume some issue of some sort.

5) Spread my credit wealth across multiple characters - REASON = just to be sure that I don't somehow after the merge have an issue with my main character that holds most of my credits and that I am unable to access them until whatever problem is resolved.

Again, not lobbying for others to follow my steps, just sharing what I feel are possible trouble points in the merge that I as a player can take simple and reasonable steps to mitigate in advance.

Truly excellent advice!

I'm fine with sorting as I go, afterwards. But as of now, I literally do not have the time to spend sorting it all out.

I'm in the same boat. I'll be lucky if I get to log in at all before the merge. If something is messed up, I'll just submit a ticket and try another character.

Um yes you do. You have more than enough time. You play a video game for hours on end. We are not talking about cutting your grass here.

You have a lot of gall. Do you know me? I don't think so. Are you able to monitor my online activities? Just because I have a bit of time to read / post on the forums doesn't mean I'm able to log in to the game. My game time is limited right now. I'm not some basement dweller that has nothing better to do than play video games all day. I have a life and things that take priority over a game.

Edited by PorsaLindahl

How do you know she has the time? She may only play on the weekends. You may play every day but not everyone does. My boyfriend works 12 hours days and only gets to play on Sunday so during the week he doesn't play. so you are being a bit rude thinking everyone has all the time to log in just because you may be able to.

So.... what I am doing:

Thank you for the good advice! :)