Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Horrid FPS

General_mars
01.01.2012 , 02:55 AM | #1191
Quote: Originally Posted by Ankhkharu View Post
I can't get my head around how come people with i5's and Q6600/8200/8300 like me get the same performance at low settings.

How is it even possible? I want to see explanation from Bioware on this, I'm not buying a new rig (which I could do NOW if I wanted to) until I get a guarantee that it will run the game better.
I've been scouring for information for a long while now. These are simply my opinions based on reading hundreds of pages of comments, dxdiags, etc., and various other websites. I lack "real" credibility. This is my observation: The recommended settings are understated. With that said I have proposed statements + questions. (Not directed at any individual person + N/A to everything). Just some food for thought.

1. Are you on a laptop or desktop?
2. The speed of the quad core processor matters. Do *you* have a Core i5 @ like 1.8 GHz? (or AMD equivalent)
3. What is the video card you are using? If NVIDIA is it from the 500 series? If ATI/AMD from the Radeon HD 6000 series? (or equivalents?) If not, how old is it?
4. Does said video card have a minimum of 1 GB of dedicated memory?
5. Do you have 8 GB of RAM? Is it DDR2 or DDR3?

- Many of the people who have had issues will answer something similar to:
1. Desktop
2. Core i5/17 (or equivalent) @ 2.5 GHz or higher.
3. Yes (either-or). New
4. Yes.
5. Yes. DDR3.

So then I ask what do you expect to run this game on: max, high, medium or low, and many people would be appalled when despite the good rig it should be run on medium settings (Assuming that they do not own the best parts of course. Every checker I've gone to + when building custom computers from places like iBUYPOWER or CYBERPOWERPC (for those who haven't heard of them -- they make gaming computers for cheaper than DELL/Alienware) they feature much of the same specs I mentioned and state that SWTOR should be run on Medium settings. I believe there is a slight expectations issue. (It also seems possible that there is a minute difference in performance between laptop - desktop even with similar parts)

I also think that the Min. Req's should state 4GB of RAM on Win7 not 2GB. If you have it the game uses all of it, check the resource monitor. It will probably say something like 1.3 GB for first swtor.exe, 300 MB or second swtor.exe (in applications) and in reource monitor it will tell you that you are using ~ 3.5 GB/"x" GB. This should be being avoided with dedicated video cards, but how many are using <4GB RAM with Video cards with only 512 MB of dedicated memory?

Also is it a general frame rate issue or is it simply spikes? I think for most it is spikes: turning the character, PvP, flashpoints, etc.

@ BioWare: give us view distance scaling, it would probably help a lot. (and there are other properties previous people have mentioned that would probably be beneficial, but distance scaling may have the largest impact).

I could be wrong about all of that + I apologize to the trolls + others who I will probably tick off. However, after over 400 pages on this I think it is necessary to develop groups based on commonalities. If you can identify the main group and isolate the outliers the problem can be more appropriately dealt with.
*General_Mars*

General_mars
01.01.2012 , 03:13 AM | #1192
*General_Mars*

Ankhkharu
01.01.2012 , 03:46 AM | #1193
It's unreasonable unexplainable drop of fps just by being in an area that has many players in it and staring at the wall (like centre core at the fleet). It happens to people with top of the line graphics cards and processors as well as those who meet/exceet recommended requirements. They both have same low performance, pretty much the same no matter what resolution they use.
Unlimited +++ Sçorpion @ToFN

T-Wadd
01.01.2012 , 03:56 AM | #1194
This is probably fairly obvious, but if your internet connection's wireless, get an Ethernet Cord and turn it to a wired connection. See if that helps, cause that's the only thing I can imagine.

As for me, I have to get a new entire freakin' computer. Joy.
"What is the air velocity of an unladen swallow?!"

Ellvaan
01.01.2012 , 04:08 AM | #1195
Greetings everyone!

This thread has passed our maximum 1k post threshold. We are therefore closing this thread and have re-created it here:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=114363

Please note that while this thread is being closed, it is still being diligently reviewed by our Customer Support Team to help resolve this game issue.

Thank you for your continued patience and cooperation in this matter!