Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Update and Information Request: Error Code 9000

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service (Read-Only)
Update and Information Request: Error Code 9000

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

fatal_nuisance
01.11.2012 , 05:36 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by JenHarkness View Post

Information we need:

1. Name of the server where you encounter disconnects
2. Day and time of a 1-2 hour block where you disconnected on average more than once every 15 minutes. (remember to tell us timezone!) We’re looking these up in the logs, so the more specific you can be the better!
3. Have you been receiving the disconnects continually? Are they during particular times of the day? Has it been consistent since launch? Do they tend to group up?
4. How reliably can you reproduce the disconnects? 100%? 75%?
5. Are you on a wired or wireless connection? If wireless, what brand and model of router are you using?
6. Do you share the network connection with others? If so, do they play SWTOR, and have they also experienced disconnects? Are their disconnects at the same time as yours?
7. What version of Windows are you running? Are you running 32 or 64 bit?
8. Are you running any antivirus or firewall programs or any other network filtering program?
9. Would you be willing to be contacted by a BioWare developer and work through some debugging steps hands on with us (most likely via phone)? If so, what timezone are you in?

Okay, so I have actually managed (I think, so far so good) to fix my disconnect issue. I set up static IP, used google dns servers, updated all drivers, port forwarded, added exceptions to my firewall, but the thing that seemed to finally do the trick was updating the firmware on my linksys e2000. I'm not sure if one of those or a combination of all did the trick but it seems like it did.

I was getting dc'd every 2 or 3 minutes before so here's the requested info from back then.

1. Encountered mainly on server The Maw.

2. Seemed to happen most around 6-8 pm mountain time.

3. The disconnects did seem to be continuous, some times more than others such as that above but fairly regular.

4. There didn't seem to be any definite contributing factors but it seemed to happen more in more heavily populate areas (i.e. korriban vs. fleet)

5. Wireless connection, linksys e2000.

6. I am the only person using the network at most times.

7. I am running windows 7 64 bit.

8. I am running Norton 360.

9. I would not be available consistently enough to be of much use for debugging.

EDIT:
Problems took place from January 2nd-9th. Hope this helps, thank you for your attention and the update.

TaramCaldar
01.11.2012 , 05:36 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by yagbrrash View Post
I haven't been receiving this error but something similar I believe. The game completely lags my internet every night since launch from 1-4am est. My server latency will consistently be between 500-1000ms. It not just my game that lags either it lags my vent and internet browser as well. I did a connection test on speedteset.net while in game and out during those times and my ping while in game was roughly 900 and when I closed the game it went back down to 80
I've noticed similar behavior as well... I haven't paid attention to what time it is but since I am typically on from about 9pm til about 2am it's probably during that same window. In some cases, as mentioned in my post above, it even causes the cable modem to reset it's connection.

gankatron
01.11.2012 , 05:37 PM | #13
1. Name of the server where you encounter disconnects -

Server: Hedarr Soongh, but I tried making a toon on a different server this morning with a "Light" population and dc'd in the character creation screen.

2 + 3. Day and time of a 1-2 hour block where you disconnected on average more than once every 15 minutes. (remember to tell us timezone!) We’re looking these up in the logs, so the more specific you can be the better! Have you been receiving the disconnects continually? Are they during particular times of the day? Has it been consistent since launch? Do they tend to group up? -

In the last 2 days constantly regardless of time; I have tried throughout 24 hours.

Prior I would get them more or less frequently depending on the day, but running BitTorrent in the background noticeably helped; on a bad day they went from once every 5-10 minutes dc, to once every few hours; I could tell when the BitTorrent dl would stop while playing as the latency would shoot up to 17k prior to a dc's, which occurred repeated once again, but were ameliorated upon starting a new dl.

They occur regardless of server population (Light to Full), but I feel the latency is worse if multiple things/players are around. They are worst in warzones and space combat, but will also occur while crafting without many people around.

They occur regardless of dl speed (SpeedTest.net) whether at 8Mbps or at 32 Mbps on COX Preferred Broadband Package (New Orleans); note that a friend in a different part of New Orleans has also had intermittent Error 9000 problems, but on different days than me; he has not been significantly affected in the last 2 days.

No new software installed other than occasional Windows updates, one of which occured in the middle of the 2 day period of constant Error 9000 problems (i.e. it did not originally instigate or subsequently ameliorate their occurance).

Although I have a good system running 2 nVidia GTX285 in SLI and 8 MB of DDR2 RAM I have set all graphics features to the lowest or off positions (except fot the highest screen resolution) the Error 9000 problems persist.

4. How reliably can you reproduce the disconnects? 100%? 75%? -

100% in the last 2 days, they are unavoidable even with BitTorrent.

5. Are you on a wired or wireless connection? If wireless, what brand and model of router are you using? -

Only wired modem (Scientific Atlanta Webstar), no wireless router installed.

6. Do you share the network connection with others? If so, do they play SWTOR, and have they also experienced disconnects? Are their disconnects at the same time as yours? -

No sharing of network connection.

7. What version of Windows are you running? Are you running 32 or 64 bit? -

Win 7, 64 bit.

8. Are you running any antivirus or firewall programs or any other network filtering program? -

Symantec Antivirus and AdAware real time monitoring.

9. Would you be willing to be contacted by a BioWare developer and work through some debugging steps hands on with us (most likely via phone)? If so, what timezone are you in? -

Sure, US CST.

EDIT: Yesterday around early evening I logged on and did not get any Error 9000 dc's although the lag between button pressing and actual animated response in warzones was poor (I would end up going past my intended tab target as I would hit the keybind again because it didn't seem to show the next target initially). In other words it went from 2 days of constant dc's to none without any modification on my part. Since there was no BioWare patch prior to this I have to wonder if it is a throttling of service problem from COX that may switch locally from region to region as others in New Orleans have this problem on different days.

It is interesting that most posters here are using 64-bit Windows OS.

Here is a link to an article on COX broadband throttling: http://www.zeropaid.com/news/9110/co..._throttle_p2p/

Here is a link to a program to detect if your internet provider is throttling your connection (unfortunately I just found it so didn't run it during the 2 days of constant Error 9000 dc's): http://broadband.mpi-sws.org/transparency/

Edit2:
Error 9000 dc's are back with a venegence this morning; dc'ing about every 2 minutes, sometimes even while in character selection screen after a previous dc. My SpeedTest dl time is at 22 Mbps.
Black Sun an Empire Guild (http://theblacksun.enjin.com/)

Celwinn
01.11.2012 , 05:40 PM | #14

So far Wound Of The Force (West Coast PVP server)
Added: Shien (East Coast RP Server)

2. Day and time of a 1-2 hour block where you disconnected on average more than once every 15 minutes. (remember to tell us timezone!) We’re looking these up in the logs, so the more specific you can be the better!

Jan 11 2012 - Started around 5:30pm EST for me (Think that would be 2:30pm Server Time) and has been contuinous for a good hour now.
Added: Jan 12 - Started again around 5:30pm EST. It's been off and on since then.

3. Have you been receiving the disconnects continually? Are they during particular times of the day? Has it been consistent since launch? Do they tend to group up?

Continually for the past hour 5:30pm-6:30pm EST (2:30pm-3:30pm Server Time). It just started happening tonight. I have had the odd disconnection here or there, but nothing like what I'm experiencing now.

Added: So far it's been 5:30pm to present (will post time when it stops)

100%

5. Are you on a wired or wireless connection? If wireless, what brand and model of router are you using?

Wired connection (Ethernet)

6. Do you share the network connection with others? If so, do they play SWTOR, and have they also experienced disconnects? Are their disconnects at the same time as yours?

I share with 2 other people in the house. Neither plays TOR.

Windows 7 64 bit

8. Are you running any antivirus or firewall programs or any other network filtering program?

I'm running AVG Free 2012. Already set up an execption for TOR.

9. Would you be willing to be contacted by a BioWare developer and work through some debugging steps hands on with us (most likely via phone)? If so, what timezone are you in?

I would love that but the person has to be very patient. I'm a noob when it comes to this type of thing xD. (I know restarting my router, modem but beyond that, I have no clue }

Edit: Seems like when I posted this, the high MS ceased. I'm still watching out but it seems like I was just going through a rough spot.
Don't let the past define you

Kyla
01.11.2012 , 05:58 PM | #15
1. Name of the server where you encounter disconnects.
Shien
1/10/2012, between 8:30PM to 9:30PM EST.
Edit: Second player in my house disconnected as I finished this reply: 1/11/2012 6:59PM EST.
Seems to come at any time during the day. It has been consistent since launch. The disconnects tend to come in groups. Usually several disconnects close together, and then it might clear up for a couple of hours.
They seem to be fairly consistent almost every night I play. So, probably 90% chance to reproduce it any given night.
Wired, Linksys BEFSR41.
Yes, two players in this household. Both of us experience the disconnects. I'd say we disconnect simultaneously at least 80% of the time. There are occasions where one drops and the other stays up.
Both PCs are Windows 7 64-bit.
Avast! with all shields running. Windows firewall is turned off, no other firewall programs.
Yes. I'd even be willing to start keeping a log of when and where we disconnected if it helps you track down the source this annoying issue. Eastern time zone.

gankatron
01.11.2012 , 06:21 PM | #16
Virtually all Win 7 64 bit so far...
Black Sun an Empire Guild (http://theblacksun.enjin.com/)

Nutek
01.11.2012 , 06:30 PM | #17
1. Name of the server where you encounter disconnects.

Mainly Death Wind Corridor

Sorry, Too random to track. Last week. This week (last couple of days) has been better.

Beta and Early Access were completely fine. Started after patch for Live launch day for both of us. Pretty much every time we've tried to play since, on two accounts. (Mine and my wifes). We play evenings (EST) during the week. Random times on weekends. Can occur at any time. They do tend to bunch up and get progressively worse. some (most) evenings have been too frustrating to play much. We have not been teaming as we knew we would disconnect.

Up until this past Friday (6th) I would have said 100%. Since then however, it has got much better. Yesterday (10th) we were both able to play for 2 hours + without a disconnect. I think thats the first time since launch.

Wired Connection for both PCs to a router then to the cable modem. Original router was a linksys WRT wireless G. Replaced that to see if we could troubleshoot the issue. Now running a Cisco E1200 Wireless N. (Still both hard wired).
Also tried running straight to the cable modem with no router. This didnt help. Modem is a (new) Comcast issued Arris.

Yes,two of us share the connection. Both of us play, sometimes together, sometimes singly. Both of us experience the disconnects, again, sometimes one of us, sometimes both. There seems to be no particular pattern.
On some occassions we get massive lag spikes and the game drops. We can then log back in. Sometimes though, we get the huge latency, then kicked and then find our network is down completely. Really strange... All PCs, Modem and router need to be rebooted and, even then our DNS seems to be down until I forcibly refresh our IP with Comcast. Feels like being on the receiving end of a DOS attack.

Both PCs are Windows 7 64-bit Professional. Both fully patched.

One is running ESET NOD32 (Enterprise Edition), the other is running MSE. Have also tried running with no AV. Made no difference. Niether machine is running a Firewall at this time. Relying on our NAT to mask us.

Yes. Though i have not had an error in the last 36 hours, so not sure what i can tell you. I am in IT (network admin) so quite comfortable messing with the comp but am working fulltime, so it would have to be evenings EST, or weekends.

DragoVaughn
01.11.2012 , 06:57 PM | #18
1. Hedarr Soongh

2. Every day between 5pm to 11pm sometimes later est.

3. Not continual, happens random days, sometimes there's a good day sometimes not.

4. Can't happens randomly

5. Wired, use a linksys router

6. Two people play here, One time we got error 9000 at the same time, all others it's been just me.

7. windows 7 64 bit

8. Nope

9. Yes, EST

Calladerth
01.11.2012 , 07:09 PM | #19
SHII-CHO
Pretty much any day between Jan 2 and Jan 10. Mostly 8-11PM EST.
I had no problem until about December 30, 2011. Since then it's been every night. Not always 15 minutes apart, but consistent enough to be annoying. They do tend to group up. When it starts, I know the night is done.
Given how random the causes can be it's tough to say. Probably 50-75% though given the right timeframe.
I'm on a wired connection.
I do share the connection. It's just with one other computer, and that person does not play SWTOR.
Windows Vista, 32-bit
Just Windows Firewall.
Certainly. EST.

TonyACT
01.11.2012 , 07:22 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by JovethGonzalez View Post
Please try to only respond to this thread by answering these questions, as formatted. This will help us look through the responses much faster. Thank you!

1. The Harbinger

2. Just now - at around 12.05 and 12.12 pm Australian Eastern Summer Time

3. Twice in a row just now

4. Random

5. Wired

6. Shared, they are not playing SW: ToR

7. Windows 7 32-bit

8. Microsoft Security Essential. Have had no problems with any other MMO.

9. Yes. Australian Eastern Summer Time.