How did Han get to Bespin with no light speed?

Stilanas

I think this qualifies as a plot hole. Sub-light speed is shown in the universe to be fairly slow. A friend of mine, playng tie fighter, once compared the amount of time it takes for one ship to fly across the length of a star destroyer, which has a known length. The ships seem to fly slower than cars, so there is not really a feasible way for the falcon to have gone from one star system to another in a reasonable amount of time. So in that sense, how could the falcon have gotten to Bespin?

Also, light speed is depicted really inconsistently. It might take days or hours to get somewhere, or it might take minutes to get from corusant to mustafar, just in time for Darth Sideous to rescue Vader.

I think this qualifies as a plot hole. Sub-light speed is shown in the universe to be fairly slow. A friend of mine, playng tie fighter, once compared the amount of time it takes for one ship to fly across the length of a star destroyer, which has a known length. The ships seem to fly slower than cars, so there is not really a feasible way for the falcon to have gone from one star system to another in a reasonable amount of time. So in that sense, how could the falcon have gotten to Bespin?

Also, light speed is depicted really inconsistently. It might take days or hours to get somewhere, or it might take minutes to get from corusant to mustafar, just in time for Darth Sideous to rescue Vader.

He fixed it for one jump if you payed attention they had just enough juice to make a jump Bespin from hoth.

Also they travel FTL aka Faster then Light which under Einstein theory is supposed to be imposable anyway but this isn't are world its star wars...

Also just cause I fell like posting something else for now. :cool:

Troll (provided by wikkipiddia :rolleyes:) : In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[4] The noun troll may refer to the provocative message itself, as in: "That was an excellent troll you posted".

Edited by atlasstar

Well, sublight could be anywhere from just under lightspeed to 1 mph I suppose, so the question is, how fast was the Falcon travelling. If it was in the same solar system as Bespin, then it just depends on speed and distance. At one tenth the speed of light, I think it would take 5 hours get from Earth to Jupiter. Let's say they are on the outskirts of the solar system and Bespin is hovering over a gas giant like Saturn or Jupiter. I think the trip could reasonably be made in one day. Still, they'd be stinky. I didn't see any showers on that ship, and they were still in the same clothes.

Fighters can travel very fast.

According to some of the books, some of the approach patterns and attack sequences they describe say they are traveling at near light, and therefro have no time to react to anything until they get to the battle.

And they never mention using the lightspeed drives to do it.

If they are traveling close to light speed, then no human could have the reaction time to fly the ship, never mind all of the problems with banking and turning. Also it takes far to long for them to cross a known distance for it to be near light. Finally, the lasers they are shooting at each other appear to fly slower than bullets, so there would be no way they could hit anything.

The entire reason Han and Leia sat in the cockpit looking at the computer was so they could find a station that they could make it to. That's when Han noticed Lando's place.

I mean, that's why they went to Lando's. Because he was close enough to do it.

That's also how Fett was able to determine where Han was heading (because it was the only place in the area), and it's how the Empire got there ahead of time and set up their little surprise.

All in all, it made perfect sense to me. There are quite a few moments in Star Wars that makes me go, "Huh?" but that's not one of them.

Time is also not a factor here. While they are traveling to Bespin they pan back to Luke traing with Yoda.

It's quite concievable that the trip took over a month. I think it's a safe bet that it was at least weeks because Luke was getting close to the end of his training when he got the visions of them being in danger. Luke also mentions he's come a long way since his mistake in the cave.

When Luke comes back from Bespin Yoda tells Luke he has nothing more to teach.

Relativity is a little tricky when it comes to light speed. Essentially what it boils down to is that nothing with rest mass is able to accelerate to light speed or beyond. There are a few outs though.

Wormholes created through spacetime warps could allow short cutting around the universe which would give the effect of faster than light travel without the ship actually travelling anywhere near close to light speed itself.

Space expansion can also exceed lightspeed as it did during the inflationary period. The Alcubierre Warp Drive is designed to take advantage of this by creating a localized big bang behind the ship while creating a localized big crunch in front.

Tachyons that have always traveled faster than light are found in some solutions. They can never travel at light speed or less. They must always travel faster than light. Neutrinos that appear to behave this way have recently been detected although the issue is not settled.

Quantum Physics also can account for strange phenomena such as a the very remote probability that I suddenly teleport to the Hercules Galaxy.

Star Wars uses the 5th dimensional hypers space as a short cut much like a wormhole. Without something like this there is no way Han travels at sub light anywhere in his lifetime.

The Falcon, and most ships of it's era going forward have more than 1 hyperdrive. A 'spare tire" secondary that's incredibly slower than the primary. Limited range and slow. And I assume there is some switch over time, or everytime the main drive didn't engage, they'd have just switched over to the backup and been away. Check both the wookieepedia entries on hyperdrive and Millennium Falcon. Has everything needed to cap the discussion.

Traveling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy! Without precise calculations we could fly right through a star or bounce too close to a supernova, and that'd end your trip real quick, wouldn't it?

-Han Solo

Hyperspace requires the user avoid things like planets and asteroids far in advance. For example, it's actually quicker to go to tatooine from alderaan then from alderaan to coruscant, despite alderaan and coruscant being very close together. this allows for the movie variable time length hyperspace journey.

In response to the comment about lasers travelling slower than bullets, the 'lasers' they use in the Starwars universe are usually supposed to be superheated tibanna gas, so in another universe might be known as plasma guns/cannons, throwing bolts of plasma rather than just light. How the guns accelerate the blobs of gas has not been described in any EU fiction or the favourite place to get technical information for the SW universe: the SW RPG books, that I know of.

I don't think there is a problem with the Falcon getting to Bespin from the asteroid field, as Han said they were in the same sector. If a freighter can enter some kind of cruise mode and reach an appreciable fraction of C they travel could quite a long way in a day or two.

The question is, after the Falcon leaves Hoth, it appears that they immediately hit an asteroid field while running from the Imperial fleet and finding out they have no Hyperdrive, which suggests that planet Hoth is in the same system as Bespin, since star systems are usually at least a light-year apart in our part of our galaxy.

I guess the Star Wars galactic map could actually be set in the dense cluster around the center of their galaxy and so all the stars are right next to each other.

Edited by Gridfire

Bespin system in Anoat sector =/= Anoat system

Leia: "Where are we?"

Han: "The Anoat system"

System/sector doesn't matter the point is they were in the area where Bespin is, so then didn't need to use the hyperdrive they couldn't anyway.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

If you really want something to wrap your head around....... Why didn't they just blow up Yavin Prime instead of trying to get to it's Moon?! That's the real question that could of stopped any of the other 2 movies. Silly Grand Moff Tarkin wasn't so grand!

In the movie "A New Hope" Han says that the Falcon did the "Kessel run" in less than 12 parsecs. Back in 1977 most thought that a parsec in this reference was a measure of time, when in fact it is a measure of distance (as it is in reality). In the Jedi Academy trilogy of novels this is clarified when the Kessel run is better described; Kessel sits in the middle of a cluster of black holes and due to "normal" speed limitations on ships a specific set of routes are laid out. However, due to the Falcon's speed Han is able to cut corners by getting closer to those black holes and shorten the distance he had to travel from the edge of the cluster to Kessel. In order to do this the Falcon has to be an incredibly fast ship even at sub-light speeds in order to get out of the gravity wells those black holes generate.

Also what Annikhan says is 100% true. Due to the fact that after the decision is made to head to Bespin, the focus goes back to Luke and Yoda, there is no real way to know how much time has passed between when they start to when they arrive.

Contributing to this is the fact that the Empire arrives before the Falcon does. To accomplish this, Boba Fett had to determine their likely destination, communicate with the empire, and the Empire then had to mobilize its forces to Bespin. Even with hyperdrive this takes time.

If you really want something to wrap your head around....... Why didn't they just blow up Yavin Prime instead of trying to get to it's Moon?! That's the real question that could of stopped any of the other 2 movies. Silly Grand Moff Tarkin wasn't so grand!

Because Yavin Prime was a gas giant, not a terrestrial planet. To use our real planets... I'll give you the Death Star's take on them... "Space Dust" or "Damn..."

Mercury: Space Dust

Venus: Space Dust

Earth: Space Dust

Mars: Space Dust

Jupiter: Damn...

Saturn: Damn...

Uranus: Damn...

Neptune: Damn...

Pluto: Space Dust.

Yavin Prime is "Damn..."

The most simple answer is that yes, it's a plot hole. They can't be in the Anoat system because they were in the Hoth system and they didn't have a working hyperdrive, which was a pretty major plot point. George Lucas screwed this, and a few other things (like the 12 parsec Kessel Run) up because he was a movie director, not an astrophysicist, and people have been scrambling to cover his arse over it for years. Hence all the desperate theories and explanations offered by the hack writers of the EU novels which have been repeated so often over the years that they've become "canon".

The thing is, no-one cares when Arnold Schwarzenegger fires 3000 bullets from a 200 round belt of machinegun ammo, because it's just a movie. Star Wars, like Star Trek, attracts fans that aren't satisfied unless they can come up with a theory as to why his machinegun can get 3000 bullets out a 200 round belt. This can get taken to an extreme. Check out the Star Wars Technical Commentaries, by Curtis Saxton, a theoretical astrophysicist with way too much time on his hands.

Plus, it categorically proves that a Star Destroyer would kick the Enterprises' *** any day of the week. :cool:

Edited by Sithica

The most simple answer is that yes, it's a plot hole. They can't be in the Anoat system because they were in the Hoth system and they didn't have a working hyperdrive, which was a pretty major plot point. George Lucas screwed this, and a few other things (like the 12 parsec Kessel Run) up because he was a movie director, not an astrophysicist, and people have been scrambling to cover his arse over it for years. Hence all the desperate theories and explanations offered by the hack writers of the EU novels which have been repeated so often over the years that they've become "canon".

The thing is, no-one cares when Arnold Schwarzenegger fires 3000 bullets from a 200 round belt of machinegun ammo, because it's just a movie. Star Wars, like Star Trek, attracts fans that aren't satisfied unless they can come up with a theory as to why his machinegun can get 3000 bullets out a 200 round belt. This can get taken to an extreme. Check out the Star Wars Technical Commentaries, by Curtis Saxton, a theoretical astrophysicist with way too much time on his hands.

Plus, it categorically proves that a Star Destroyer would kick the Enterprises' *** any day of the week. :cool:

No....they were not in the Hoth System and its not a plot hole when clearly Han states they were in the Anoat system. The Anoat system is located between Hoth and Bespin, so they didn't need to travel far to get there.

Ok, I'll spell this one out clearly for the hard of thinking. Yes, Han clearly states they're in the Anoat system. But they took off from the Hoth system. Without a hyperdrive. This is not possible unless they spent a year or two crawling along at sublight speeds or found a handy wormhole or Gree jumpgate everyone forgot to tell us about. Therefore either:

a) Han's full of $hit and/or can't read a navigation computer.

or

b) Lucas got some trivial detail wrong that only obsessive fanboy apologists care about and everyone's been scrambling to cover his arse about it for the last thirty years.

This is pretty much the definition of what a plot hole is. So yes, it is a plot hole, and it'll still be a plot hole regardless of how many different desperate explanations people come up with to attempt to justify a simple script error in a fantasy movie.