Poll: What is your preferred PvP Progression Scheme?

Darth_Philar

Vote your preferred PvP Progression method.

A. Random Drop/Bag - In this method, bags are acquired which will grant random gear upon opening.

B. Full Item Token - In this method, tokens are used to purchase gear that is fully modded.

C. Piecemeal Token - In this method, tokens are used to purchase mods, etc. individually.

D. Stat Normalization (No Progression) - Stats from gear are ignored, and players are given a baseline set of stats based on class/spec/etc.

Remember, this isn't a debate thread, it is a poll. Let's keep it civil!

Also, if I've missed a progession scheme above, let me know ASAP so I can add it before I get any/many votes. Please don't suggest hybrid methods that combine any of the listed methods, I'm asking for preferred method, not preferred combination of methods, Thanks!

The current polling results are:

A. - 00.00%

B. - 46.88%

C. - 40.63%

D. - 12.50%

Edited by Darth_Philar

Anything but the RNG bag system, just thinking about that system freaks me out.

The bag system was bad, for most players. My first 2 bags contained mainhand and offhand weapon, my guild told me to play the lottery :csw_jabbapet:

I vote for :

B. Full Item Token - In this method, tokens are used to purchase gear that is fully modded.

Edited by Icestar

I dont mind B or C. But I think people are under some illusion that individual mods will cost cheaper than the actually full gear piece itself. And if they do go to this system, and the individual mods do cost cheaper, I'm guessing it will only cost like 1/5 cheaper than the full gear piece with all mods.

Bioware knows how many people are buying X gloves(or whatever else piece of gear) to just pull out the mod or enhancement. They WANT this comm/time sink in the game for those that CHOOSE to optimize their gear.

Call me old fashion, but I love gear progression. If they change to the D system, then I'll probably stop subscribing and playing all together. It's the gear progression that keeps me hooked. I mean, PvP is fun and all, but nothing changes. There aren't tournaments, there's no WvWvW that switches servers every X weeks, it's just warzone after warzone.

Take away my grind for the next best tier of gear, and I'm gone.

Vote your preferred PvP Progression method.

A. Diablo 3

B. Star Wars: The Old Republic

C. Nothing I'm familiar with but this get's my vote. What game grinds like this and is it any good?

D. Guild Wars 2

This is what I read... :D

But I vote C. B is obviously in a close second place, but the ability to optimize as I go and not have to chase my own tail while grinding min/max would be nice.

Edited by UGLYMRJ

I would vote C. But keep in mind if that happens as a previous poster mentioned costs will go up. We'd probably be looking at something like 1500-2000 comms per armoring and 750-1250 comms per mod/enhancement. That would be 3000-4500 comms per main gear piece. So like buying a chest in each spot or worse, but on the positive side only having to do it once.:)

Interesting... I thought C would get more love. So people like the current gear progression as is?

Not expected.

A lot of the people who liked C voted for B and C. I'm considering doing a vote split on those but so far I'm only counting the first letter they listed (which has been B since it comes before C).

My preferred change is : leave the gear system as it is but make the grind shorter (e.g. award more commendations per WZ). I'm not sure what option of yours this fits into.

EDIT: I also like option C in the OP. Having to buy a second (3rd, 4th) set of boot/greaves/helmet et cetera, just to get mods makes the grind more annoying.

Edited by funkiestj

EDIT: I also like option C in the OP. Having to buy a second (3rd, 4th) set of boot/greaves/helmet et cetera, just to get mods makes the grind more annoying.

THIS... is what I don't like... I enjoy a decent grind... what I don't want to do is grind the highest tier of gear multiple times.

I would love to see gear and mods sold separately... create your look and optimize as you go allowing for the min/max on the first top tier grind... not the 3rd or 4th.

THIS... is what I don't like... I enjoy a decent grind... what I don't want to do is grind the highest tier of gear multiple times.

I would love to see gear and mods sold separately... create your look and optimize as you go allowing for the min/max on the first top tier grind... not the 3rd or 4th.

That's not a half bad idea. Sell modded set pieces for X tokens, individual mods for, idk, something like (x * .4) tokens. Actually, I like that a lot. Better than buying 5 sets of gloves and 4 sets of helmets every gear tier.

B

As long as players are never locked out of gear based on their rating or some other ranking function. Giving the winner of an Indy car race the best engine for the next race is an absurd idea. it only furthers the gap and gives early winners even more advantage over everyone else. It makes it even easier to rack up wins and get gear better than everyone else, again.

Can I propose a new solution:

E: Purchase with credits

I would rather grind for rank and just purchase gear once I reach those ranks, rather than grind for comms to purchase gear. This worked well in WAR after they made this change, you could just buy all the gear you wanted as you ranked up (up to RR70) after which it became RNG again.

There are obviously a few problems with purchasing for cash based on rank:

1) If someone didn't pvp at all whilst leveling, they'll have a massive wait for good gear at 50.

2) On level cap rises, high ranked players could just buy best gear immediately.

To solve 1) you need either more sets of armour so that you can offer lower ranked people more stuff, or you remove rank requirements on some of the gear (but not the top gear).

To solve 2) you need to split valor in to multiple tiers. So, you'd have a scale for "overall valor rank" which would be the sum of all valor earnt ever. Then, you'd have valor tiers for each expansion. So, at the moment you'd have "Overall Valor" plus "Initial Release Valor" or something. You tie gear in to the initial release valor ranks, and fluff to the overall valor. So, when a new expansion / level cap comes along, you create a new valor scale for that expansion and all valor earnt after expansion is released only contributes to the overall valor and the new scale.

example using lotro (max rank=15):

Overall Rank: 13

Shadows of Angmar Rank: 5

Mines of Moria Rank: 8

Mirkwood Rank: 10

Rise of Isengaurd Rank: 0

Riders of Rohan Rank: 9

So, what this is basically saying is that overall, I've done a lot of pvp and have a high rank. However, during initial release (SoA) I only achieved rank 5 as I didn't pvp much. During mines of moria, I started pvping a lot and would have achieved rank 8, giving me access to most of teh gear. During Mirkwood, I pvped a lot and achieved rank 10, however, I quit the game during the Isenguard expansion and this earned no ranks at all. Then I returned to the game for Riders of Rohan and started PvPing and achieved rank 9, givign me access again to the best pvp gear.

Imo, this is the best ranking system you can have. It is better than simply adding on new ranks each expansion. It gives veterans an overall rank they can show off and be proud of, but also resets the field each expansion so that new members / pvpers aren't penalised too much.