Identity crisis..."that name is not available"

-Rxu-

Its happened to us all (maybe), you try a new server and want to keep your current preferred handle and after carefully customizing your character you enter your beloved name only to realize it has been taken by someone else. You feel robbed, violated and upset. What can you do? Nothing I guess

imo they should let us name our character whatever we want. If there is someone with the same name in the same instance as you... you can be identified by you legacy...... (I do believe legacy should still be unique tho)

I am also not happy that BioWare decided to go with that system, there are solutions out there in other MMOs which work well.

I love how STO handled this; their use of a unique gaming ID allows for an infinite number of the same character name. I don't feel like I have to use up character slots (as I do in SWTOR) to reserve names there.

imo they should let us name our character whatever we want. If there is someone with the same name in the same instance as you... you can be identified by you legacy...... (I do believe legacy should still be unique tho)

every player doesn't even have a legacy, they don't show in chat at all and you can choose to hide them... so no that is a horrible idea... would make CS a nightmare

Its happened to us all (maybe), you try a new server and want to keep your current preferred handle and after carefully customizing your character you enter your beloved name only to realize it has been taken by someone else. You feel robbed, violated and upset. What can you do? Nothing I guess

YOU feel robbed, violated, and other ********. I come up with a new name, I have no trouble coming up with names that resonate in my imagination and make my character complete. I do have names I like to use but if they are already taken I invent a new one and move on with my gaming.

I am so glad we have unique names, btw, I do not want some scum bucket out there being an ****** under a name I use.

I wonder if BioWare had made a Game of Thrones MMO instead of SWTOR, would have seen there then the option that people don't have to worry about their character names (Since that setting has so many characters named Jon or Robert, that it is obvious that this should be a feature that the game allows too).

every player doesn't even have a legacy, they don't show in chat at all and you can choose to hide them... so no that is a horrible idea... would make CS a nightmare

well then just do playername@accountname

every player has an account name... problem solved

Do we have in SWTOR? Or is the forum name the account name? But if so why does the game never asks for that?

Edited by Drudenfusz

I wonder if BioWare had made a Game of Thrones MMO instead of SWTOR, would have seen there then the option that people don't have to worry about their character names (Since that setting has so many characters named Jon or Robert, that it is obvious that this should be a feature that the game allows too).

At least they might put Ewoks in that game.

Because I dont think their track record on sticking to lore has been particularly good, so a Bioware teen rated "Game of Thrones" would contain Tyrion the Ewok , (tongue in cheek I shudder to think what they would to with the Game of Thrones Intelectual property, but I'm glad you can imagine it).

• 1 year later...
should be able to choose any name u wish as your name but legacy names should be unique .... there is more than 1 person out there with my first name in real life ... to be honest there is more than 1 person with my entire name but if they wanted to keep something unique then i say once you have your legacy name .....

I don't want my account name used in the game. If I wanted people to know my account name, I'd tell them.

"I can't have the name I want in a computer game" just screams "First World Problem."

Edited by branmakmuffin

In a game such as CO, DCUO and City of Heroes, I actually expect unique names. It goes with the genre (with very few exceptions).

However, in SW, outside of some Darth's they use their real name. Why would they be unique? There has to be multiple Han's, Leia's, Luke's and Lando's out there.

Conversely what if someone comes to your server, and <shock horror> you've taken the name that they used on their server. They'd feel "robbed, violated and upset." no? Would you give it to them, coz you felt bad?

I wanted Finntlewoodlewix but it was > character limit. I've ben suicidal ever since. I chose 'Henry' eight months after launch. Problem solved. Happy now.

Funny how every QQ about names, and no-one ever wants to mention the name that they're so fond of, they'd give up their first born to have.... Anyone want to rise to the challenge?