Nerfed Compainion heals

-sakaa-

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure about the numbers, but planet bolstering seems to bolster you lower than live. I noticed running a healer that I seemed to be taking more damage in general than live. When I tried a dps with a healer comp, I saw that they turned the companion channeled heal, so that now it has a cooldown. Companions no longer can heal you constantly if you're only missing 5% of hp like they do in live, lots of overhealing. The cooldown on the big channel I think is about 7 seconds instead of no cd.

I personally don't have an issue with this, I like that the heal companions actually do some dps now, but I could see the need for them to lower the cd.

Have they nerfed companion healing. Running a toon from 1 up and I am having to use a lot more powers to keep up?

I reported this in another thread, I too noticed that my companions healing is much less than it was in Live. To me, this nerf is really unacceptable due to the size of the nerf.

Not sure about the numbers, but planet bolstering seems to bolster you lower than live. I noticed running a healer that I seemed to be taking more damage in general than live. When I tried a dps with a healer comp, I saw that they turned the companion channeled heal, so that now it has a cooldown. Companions no longer can heal you constantly if you're only missing 5% of hp like they do in live, lots of overhealing. The cooldown on the big channel I think is about 7 seconds instead of no cd.

I personally don't have an issue with this, I like that the heal companions actually do some dps now, but I could see the need for them to lower the cd.

For most content I always had the channeled heal disabled, if I used a healer companion at all. They did way too much healing. It's interesting that the channel now has a cooldown, it kind of accomplishes what I was doing manually.

My only concern is that for things like Master chapters, will companion have enough healing now?

I reported this in another thread, I too noticed that my companions healing is much less than it was in Live. To me, this nerf is really unacceptable due to the size of the nerf.
Agreed.

I also queried whether there had been a companion heal nerf in another pts feedback post. Even after upping my companion's influence to 50 the lowered healing was still noticeable. On the 2.0 pts - no change. As a soloer this is verging on deal-breaker-unsub territory, especially with the return of RNG gearing.

Agreed.

I also queried whether there had been a companion heal nerf in another pts feedback post. Even after upping my companion's influence to 50 the lowered healing was still noticeable. On the 2.0 pts - no change. As a soloer this is verging on deal-breaker-unsub territory, especially with the return of RNG gearing.

Yeah, that is exactly what I amm experiencing, my companion's influence is in the high 30's and the story content in live was ok but now it's impossible for me to solo a lot of the solo content.

Yeah, that is exactly what I amm experiencing, my companion's influence is in the high 30's and the story content in live was ok but now it's impossible for me to solo a lot of the solo content.

I can confirm I am seeing the same thing. After testing heroics on Coruscant, Taris, and Nar Shadaa with a level 50 companion, there is definitely a significant dropoff in effectiveness compared to Live. There are several places in the Morgukai and Lab Animals heroics on Nar Shadaa where even a level 50 companion can't keep up. You will need to use defensives there. For the most part the impact of level-sync and companion nerfs is noticeable but not impactful on Coruscant or Taris and seems to start having an impact on Nar Shadaa. I'll be testing some other heroics later tonight to see if the disparity increases or if it levels off.

I feel like they're really telling solo players they're not welcome at all. If the difficulty is upped and companions are nerfed to the point where the current solo content becomes unplayable, they're sending a very strong message. It's one thing to make the endgame Ops too hard for solo players and it's another to make the existing game content unplayable for them.

It's yet another slap in the face. I guess "play your way" means "play your way as long as you're grouped."

Edited by IoNonSoEVero

They actually aren't nerfed they have been buffed with a new heal ability on the bar that is turned off by default so you just have to make sure it is turned on and also companions have a chance to proc a aoe heal that has no cooldown like the one Z0-OM uses

They actually aren't nerfed they have been buffed with a new heal ability on the bar that is turned off by default so you just have to make sure it is turned on and also companions have a chance to proc a aoe heal that has no cooldown like the one Z0-OM uses

The above statement unfortunately holds no water as this lock is not unlock-able.....

Edited by MasterRummy
need to add clarity to my statement

It helps some and should be fine for running basic missions. It still isn't enough to hold up to the sustained damage you run into with heroics and flashpoints. The CC is more valuable because it cuts down on the incoming damage (but you have to be careful not to break it). Two golds will still push what a mid level healer can do and since fights take significantly longer now due to the other downgrades, you need to keep up the healing longer.

I feel like they're really telling solo players they're not welcome at all. If the difficulty is upped and companions are nerfed to the point where the current solo content becomes unplayable, they're sending a very strong message. It's one thing to make the endgame Ops too hard for solo players and it's another to make the existing game content unplayable for them.

It's yet another slap in the face. I guess "play your way" means "play your way as long as you're grouped."

I agree with that. Also the comps being overpowered is nonsense. I play solo in this game. Sometimes they will stand there like Gomer Pyle not doing nothing. You have to set them on the targets. I rarely use healers except for the one case in Iokath. I can be fighting a hostile and the comp will stand there. In PTS this time I have used a healer more than I ever did in the last year. I had Magnus as a healer in PTS and all he did was heal himself. Frell.

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

Some quick details on what you are seeing. We did make changes to Companion healing but this should not necessarily result in a nerf to them. In the current live game Companion healing is very strong but it also appears to be so strong to the point that you may play certain content and barely see your health bar move.

We made some changes to Companion healing abilities and timing so that although their healing is roughly the same, it has the appearance that you are actually taking damage. Ultimately, what we would want feedback on is does it just appear that you are getting less healing / in more danger, or are you actually dying in places you wouldn't have previously.

Share your thoughts and thanks for raising this!

-eric

My input is, I think it's mostly fine. I do have to run with healer comps more often. I don't think the change is much of an issue, because I feel like I do more damage.(and it makes me use the utilities of my class) With that being said, maybe lower the cd on the channeled heal?

I do have a complaint though, that teleport given to them all, I like it, but I think it's too aggressive, they jump at the worst times. Brawler fight in eternal championship is particularly annoying, since I use the method to have the companion aggro one of the kintans. But now they jump to you and you have both kintans stacked now.

Edited by Krazhez

Hey folks,

Some quick details on what you are seeing. We did make changes to Companion healing but this should not necessarily result in a nerf to them. In the current live game Companion healing is very strong but it also appears to be so strong to the point that you may play certain content and barely see your health bar move.

We made some changes to Companion healing abilities and timing so that although their healing is roughly the same, it has the appearance that you are actually taking damage. Ultimately, what we would want feedback on is does it just appear that you are getting less healing / in more danger, or are you actually dying in places you wouldn't have previously.

-eric

I think it overall it is fine. On Live, if I jump into a a pack of 7 normal mobs, I barely see damage done. If I jump into the same group on PTS, I actually get a little worried. It was odd.... yet refreshing at the same time!

One of the bigger problem areas is the NPCs that have a combination knockback/knockdown/stun (some of the Killiks in the Bonus area of Alderaan as an example). These hit really hard and while stunned there is nothing you can do to save yourself, you are totally dependent on the healer and the channeled heal isn't enough generally to keep up with the other incoming damage. Quite often those hit for 75% or more of your total health in a very short time (I'm assuming this actually comes from two NPCs but I'm not sure since it happens all at once).

The overuse of knockbacks is also a problem for melee classes as they spend a lot of their time reclosing (often the knockback doesn't knock you back far enough to use your closer ability) taking damage all the while. This really extends the fights and makes the healer output even more critical.

What I believe the problem is that people are noticing that one of your companions heals has been turned off because every companion had one heal changed so you need to click on the one heal that was changed to turn it back on so they will heal like they should be so just look for the one that doesn't have the green light on it and click it on.

What I believe the problem is that people are noticing that one of your companions heals has been turned off because every companion had one heal changed so you need to click on the one heal that was changed to turn it back on so they will heal like they should be so just look for the one that doesn't have the green light on it and click it on.

Only partially correct. Even with it turned back on there is a significant difference in performance. The channeled heal is not as effective against heavy burst damage some NPCs inflict. I've played the exact same character on both the PTS and Live (same gear, same companion level, same heroics) and the difference is notable in several areas. It's not insurmountable but it is less effective.

Hey folks,

-eric

Did some quick testing on this with a different level companion. At level 50 (Kira), the knockback/knockdown/stun mobs on Alderan take the character down to ~25% health but the level 50 comp is able to heal through that so there is a danger of dying but most likely won't. With a level 14 (Lana) companion, the heals are not strong enough to heal through the initial burst (again down to about ~25% health) but the continuing damage from the melee types in the mob takes the character out before the stun wears off most of the time (tested 3 mobs, 2/3 character was killed while stunned with the level 14 companion - in the one that didn't die, the companion CC'd one of the high damage NPCs which likely made the difference). Shortening the cooldown on the channeled heal might be enough or slightly bumping up the healing on one of the others.

On the LIve server, I've done this heroic area with companions as low as level 10 without issue (pretty much looks like the level 50 on the PTS). Damage Resistance was at 24.04% on PTS / 22.84% on Live