Is cheating possible?

Nazario_

Hey,

I'm asking because i've flown with a lot of really good players over the years but never encountered anything like this before. Granted I've taken a break recently and it usually takes me a few matches to get the feel for it again but this is just weird.

Basically this person is one shotting everything that moves, even when i've seen some players in my group that i know are simply very good pilots this person easily quadruples the damage of all of us (combined even). Really, I know that some pilots can outdamage everyone in the match but this i haven't seen before in the past couple of years. Something's off or i've just witnessed the greatest pilot ever, by a parsec.

This is not a rant. I don't care if it turns out i've been away for a while and simply have to l2p again. but what i've seen so far really doesn't make a lot of sense to me. He/she is flying a Rycer getting one shot kills in with ion cannons. Am i missing something here?

Thanks for any input given.

-Naz

The answer to that is always going to be yes because it's a computer game running on code that can be attacked (or just interacted with) in many many many different ways.

The more relevant questions are going to be:

How?

and

How much would it affect the game?

Edited by ALaggyGrunt

1) TDM or DOM? Because if TDM, damage overcharge powerup may be in play

2) There's a really good type 1 strike build that where the player uses the 1 key to constantly swap weapons and nearly continuously firing, usually alternating between heavies and quads. I guess it could be used with ions and something else, though once the shields are down its not quite as effective as the main build. Drako and his team call it the piledriver build.

3) What are you in? Scouts can be melted a lot quicker than other ships under certain scenarios. Charged plating ships can suffer from the build I describe in #2 which has a lot of shield piercing and armor ignore, both of which take advantage of the bleedthrough on charged plating.

There's a lot of potential variables. But, even a "piledriver" build under DO takes a few blaster hits to destroy a fully hulled/shielded strike.

To quote the Sith Warrior, "Some elaboration is required."

1) TDM or DOM? Because if TDM, damage overcharge powerup may be in play

2) There's a really good type 1 strike build that where the player uses the 1 key to constantly swap weapons and nearly continuously firing, usually alternating between heavies and quads. I guess it could be used with ions and something else, though once the shields are down its not quite as effective as the main build. Drako and his team call it the piledriver build.

3) What are you in? Scouts can be melted a lot quicker than other ships under certain scenarios. Charged plating ships can suffer from the build I describe in #2 which has a lot of shield piercing and armor ignore, both of which take advantage of the bleedthrough on charged plating.

There's a lot of potential variables. But, even a "piledriver" build under DO takes a few blaster hits to destroy a fully hulled/shielded strike.

To quote the Sith Warrior, "Some elaboration is required."

Thanks for the reply.

I have to admit I think it more likely that I/we were simply outplayed by a superior pilot. I was just so stunned that I sat there staring at my screen for a few minutes after two matches, figured I might as well just ask.

The build you're describing does seem a likely scenario. I can't say I noticed any difference in performance against different types of vessels. I flew with a quell or sting mostly but also tried a more tanky legion. Performance of the enemy pilot was equally effective in TDM and DOM. I was mostly just surprised by it being ions that tore everything to shreds.

Another question that has to be considered:

You mentioned outdamaging everyone. What numbers are we talking about? Because 70k damage isn't sth impossible for me in a Rycer and there are people that are way better with it than me.

Good question indeed. The player went over 100k each match. He did so much damage so fast that nobody from the rest of his team went over 10k (think I'm being generous with that number).

Good player on our side (at least that's my opinion of the guy/girl) hit around 30k, I hit around 25k but we were dead most of the round lol. Rest of the squad <10k.

Again, I consider it entirely possible that one player simply owns the match. It was more that the amount of difference was so high and I don't remember ever being so owned by what seemed only ions but phalczen gave a good explanation on that.

Guess it's back to flight school for me:D

I've shot 100k+ damage in a near-stock Rycer because the rest of the players in the match didn't know what they were doing and didn't go for DOs.

I've shot 160k in a deathmatch before because there were 3 bombers that basically did nothing but rush my sat one by one and orbit slowly.

I've shot 100k damage in a domination match because there were some bombers that would solo-rush the sats and let me chew them apart with rapids because they'd basically just orbit and not much else.

There are times when you can have those kinds of numbers without cheating, but it's going to depend on how easy the targets are, and how many HP they + anything they drop have.