Ships "Jumping" Instead of Flying Smoothly

MorseGod

In several GSF matches, I've noticed ships that seem to jump along their flight path instead of moving smoothly. This makes it nearly impossible to hit them because they are constantly jumping out of the targeting reticle.

What causes this?

Lag mostly

when it happens to you its like the ships controls freeze up and no matter what you do you cant control anything then BOOM you either SD or teleport or blow up from something that hit you but because of the lag it took forever to register the hit.

looking at someone else its like theyre teleporting all over or flying sideways or something crazy

I have occasionally seen some suspicious lag. The ship is moving smoothly, then as soon as I attack it starts jumping around. I hope that is just frustration or paranoia and not hacking to lag on command.

Don't need a hack, just a hotkey controlled file sharing app that likes hogging network bandwidth.

Also not worth getting upset about. The are people who literally think that being disconnected from the server makes them better fliers.

Sadly they are often correct.

TLDR version of how to react if you see this is:

1) feel sorry for them in case they just have poor internet

2)realize that the duration of the disconnect is a time where they are blinded to what the server thinks the game state is

3) use the fact that they are increasing their reaction time to feed them a diet of missiles and torpedoes.

The server treats a disconnected ship as flying in a straight line along its last known vector. So with experience, depending on the length of the stutter in connection, sometimes it's possible get positioning to exploit this to land blaster shots that would have been dodged if the target hadn't been disconnecting.

Don't need a hack, just a hotkey controlled file sharing app that likes hogging network bandwidth.

I do consider that a hack. A hack is a hack even if you don't have to have much computer technical skill to do it. I had thought of a similar method but did not want to give people ideas.

I agree with you that it is not a game changer and I don't worry much about that changing the result of a match. It just annoys me that someone would resort to trying to cheat the game. Even if it did help I would not do it because any success I had would not be very satisfying.