youtube channel with plans for weekly GSF lets plays!

taxidermis

Hey guys I have started a new you-tube channel dedicated to swtor content. and plan to release a GSF related video once per week. Current plan is to release it in a "lets-play" style. One video up now, another to be released between now and Wednesday night. Please go check it out and if you like it then toss it a like/subscribe it would mean so much to me. Here is the link to the current GSF video.

Great video it's nice to see someone else making GSF videos!

A little feedback for the video, maybe lower your game volume or bring the mic up it was hard to hear you over the game sounds at many points in the video.

I know it wasn't your intention to make the video for gameplay feedback specifically but if you'd like some constructive criticism, either in private or on here so that others might be able to also learn from the video please let me know.

I also do 1 on 1 video analysis if you'd ever be interested in that.

Keep up the great work :)

Hey drakolich it's an absolute honor for you to reply lol. Yes I need to adjust the volume next time. I actually recorded the audio after tge match cause my mix is not very good. Then edited it over the video. Next time I will increase volume of voice and lower the game recording audio. As for tips and criticism please go ahead I always want to improve and make it public so others can learn as well!

Off the top of my head I tunnel vision way too much and I need to start using cover better but I'm always trying to improve! Used to fly with chio and 7 and the Jedi council guys on harbinger but as far as I know I'm the only one from that group who still flies. Actually met you in their discord back then one time when you grouped with me and chio for a few matches.

As requested here is a break down of moments I feel could be useful for learning purposes.

-1:20-1:30 Here we do a lot of small boosting over and over with pretty low engine power, I’d recommend swaping to power to engines to keep this total high incase someone comes to find you so you have some power to escape here, I’d even suggest firing your first shot in power to engines since it doesn’t change the amount of damage you do only your weapon regeneration. Once you get near enough to topping off your engines swap back to weapons to get more shots off.

-2:10 You run out of weapon power while firing shots here, and then do a pretty good job of waiting for weapon power, I’d just suggest waiting that extra second or 2 to completely top up before going back to firing.

-3:30 Here we make a big mistake, one I see a lot. You’re trying to get some range to fire a shot on someone and keep slowly moving up, however even though you’re at max weapon power you never swap to power to engines and keep hurting your engine power way more then you need too. You actually continue to do this for a long time and then someone comes to lock a missile on you and forces a barrel which uses the last of your engine power. All of your shots here could easily have been in power to engines there actually no reason to be in power to weapons from 3:30 all the way until you die at 4:02.

-6:00 This barrel was ok at first but immediately after you finished it you need to instantly be in power to engines running for a rock to line of sight behind. You end doing a hail mary charge to bring a missile lock and it works, however had there been any other targets that saw you barrel you would have just eaten all those missiles.

-6:33 You just finished killing your target which used up all your weapon power, you look to your next target. You now only have enough weapon power for one single shot and you begin charging it, you should have simply waited for max weapon power here and then fired your opening shot which would have let you get multiple shots in succession. It ends up not costing you because the shot misses and he doesn’t notice you, he uses a missile break and you decide to completely wait for your weapon power right afterwards which was awesome.

-7:15-7:27 We do a lot of unnecessary boosting in power to weapons.

-7:58 I know you comment on it in the video but this barrel is just a giant please kill me sign, when you barrel you always want to barrel to an object so you can use that object to line of sight until barrel is back up again.

-8:30 Just want to call out that moment is a perfect showcase of a moment when you want to boost in power to weapon, you had very little weapon power and max engine power and only need a short boost to get to firing distance. Moving while in power to weapons means you’ll be ready to fire once you get where you’re going. However completely ignore a missile tone and not setting up your barrel to a defensive location gets you killed, also once you were “scoot and shooting” you should be doing that in power to engines so that you can keep doing it for longer. Also while you mention this is an overextension, that’s kind of true however you easily could have just swapped to playing defensively as soon as you heard the missile tone and easily barreled to a safe spot, I’d say it’s more the tunnel vision that gets you killed here then the overextension.

-9:35 I love that you’re firing your firing a shot in power to engines here to get your engines back up. However sadly this good use of power settings is undone by staying in power to engines once you have plenty of engine power and just draining your weapon power super fast because of it.

-9:53 here’s where you engage that Gunship 1v1 you’re talking about in the video, there are a lot of reasons not to pick this battle. First of all as you said you’re not super well upgraded so you’re likely at a raw stats disadvantage right from the start. Second you have less than half your weapon power pool at the start of the fight meaning if you miss even one shot you’re going to have to sit there and wait until you regenerate enough power just to even fire again. Third you can see he has Distortion up as well so you don’t even have a cooldown advantage. Fourth before you even finish your first shot he uses Wingman to basically ignore your Distortion Field buff, there’s almost no way you can ever win this fight on paper.

Your Distortion field use is great in this video you use it at very appropriate times. Your weapon and engine power management are ok, but you seem to have a really hard time seeing when you should be in the opposite power setting just to get the regeneration out of it, which is super important in a Gunship. Knowing when to boost in power to weapons and fire in power to engines will give you a lot more damage done as well as survivability.

I can tell you’re very used to playing with Distortion field breaking the initial lock on time and honestly you’ve built that up as muscle memory. You aren’t setting the barrel as soon as you hear a missile tone because in your mind you’re going to break the initial lock with Distortion Field and then setup the barrel after you finish your shot. However before you get the Distortion missile break it’s very important that as soon as you hear a missile tone you immediately begin setting up a barrel.

Hopefully you find that stuff helpful and other players can watch the video and maybe it will help them too. If you have any questions on my comments let me know, I look forward to next weeks video!

Drak I really appreciate the feedback! Honestly as dumb as it sounds I'm new to playing with power settings and it's one of my weakest points. Something I need to work on as well. Until you pointed it out I never even noticed! Had just finished editing my second video when I read this. Went back and watched it again and sure enough there is power mismanagement all throughout. Guess I need to build that into muscle memory lol.

Just uploaded my second video. We won this one but it was mostly due to my teammates. I'd just worked a 14 hour shift and was exhausted lol. It def shows in the first half of the video where I make multiple mistakes and get destroyed multiple times in short order. Gets better around the halfway point where I sort of redeem myself but again after reading your comments on first one I can definatley see where I need a lot of work. Some absolute face palmers in the first half but still uploaded so folks can see what not to do in the first half lol.

Link to video here!

So for this video I'm actually not going to talk too much about the game itself since like you said you hadn't read the feedback and adjusted anything it was pretty much more of the same.

You do talk about how Heavies can kill you super fast on your first death I think you missed the fact that Optimus had Damage Overcharge and that's why he melted you so fast.

In your video you talked about and showed that you use the starting token to help yourself along with one ship to get a decent starting one going. While I do think this is a good idea on a new alt I think it's a very bad idea for your first GSF character, what you really want to do is buy all the ships with that 25k fleet req so that your dailies/weeklies are giving maximum value all along the way.

In the last part of the video you used some req to buy components and crew members I feel you made some poor choices possibly based on incorrect information.

In the crew section, you take +6% accuracy and +2 degrees firing arc, increased firing arc actually doesn't help you that much with Railguns as if you're firing shots at the very edge of the firing arc you have such a low percentage chance to hit, that passive often isn't worth it. If you instead take Rapid Reload -12% reload time on secondaries the cooldown in between firing Railgun shots in lowered, this is especially useful with Ion Railgun now since it's cooldown was raised from 1 second to 2 seconds meaning this passive knocks off 0.24 seconds off that cooldown.

In your defensives you take +evasion and +damage reduction, most weapons that a Gunship gets targeted with Ignore damage reduction completely as such the damage reduction passive really isn't worth picking up here, it's much more useful to just have a higher shield total to let your evasion stat do more work.

In your engineering section you really take a misstep. The Blaster effiency passive that says it makes all blasters use 13% less weapon power only works on primary weapons, as such it has 0 effect on Railguns, you're much better off either taking more engine power to help with retreats or if you really want to fire more shots take the extra weapon power pool as this translates to more Railgun weapon power.

In the actual ship build section everything looks good except the reactor choice, Gunships don't really have good ways to regenerate shields in combat. Meaning you have to wait a full 6 seconds after you get hit on a shield before this reactor does anything at all. Large Reactor maxed out gives your Gunship 340 more shields on each arc, Regeneration reactor gives you +17 more shield regeneration per second. In power to shields this becomes 25.5 shields per second. What this means is that in order for you to gain back that 340 shields you lost by not taking Large reactor it would take you 13.3 second of being in power to shields after the initial 6 seconds of recently consumed delay.

Basically you'd have to not get shot for 20 second while being in power to shields just to equal Large reactor, if at any point during those 20 seconds you get shot again, it shuts off your shield regeneration for another 6 seconds. There's no case where Regeneration is ever better then large reactor on a Gunship.

Hey all!! New video went up today! Sorry for the wait work has been crazy and was also sick over the weekend. I did however have time to read in depth the excellent power management guide that drak posted as well as his kind feedback here and had time to practice those elements in game. They made a huge difference for me and I was lucky enough to get a 13 kill, 0 death match recorded for you guys.

Drakolich i hope you don't mind but in the description of my video i have posted a shoutout to your channel as a way of thanks for taking the time to in depth analyze and post feedback on my gameplay. Hopefully it nets you some new subscribers and more views!

Video link below!

Hey all!! New video went up today! Sorry for the wait work has been crazy and was also sick over the weekend. I did however have time to read in depth the excellent power management guide that drak posted as well as his kind feedback here and had time to practice those elements in game. They made a huge difference for me and I was lucky enough to get a 13 kill, 0 death match recorded for you guys.

Drakolich i hope you don't mind but in the description of my video i have posted a shoutout to your channel as a way of thanks for taking the time to in depth analyze and post feedback on my gameplay. Hopefully it nets you some new subscribers and more views!

Video link below!

Thanks a bunch for the shoutout!

Your power management was really on point this game, I'm glad the guide has been helping you out!

Here's another quick tip for you in case you didn't know or just didn't think using it was worthwhile. You can actually strafe your ship while charging a Railgun, meaning if your charging a shot and suddenly your target is behind a post or some other thing blocking your line of sight you can simple strafe to the side until he's no longer being blocked and release the shot on him.

This is also another great tactic in Gunship duels as you boost right up close to cover begin charging your shot while still in cover strafe out to being able to see him release the shot and immediately strafe back into cover. Basically just poking in and out as your shots are being charged.

Really great video love your mind set on pushing enemies to spawn as well keep them coming!

Another great video, your Gunship play was very good again, except for the Barrel rolls you called out yourself.

Definitely don't waste a Barrel and use it to Barrel towards the enemy spawn lol :p

For the Strike fighter segment, power settings matter a whole lot more in Strike fighters so the moments when you're shooting in power to engines really hurt you. The build you're using from my forum post is a Piledriver build, if you don't know what that is here is a link to my teammate Audson's explanation on how it works. http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=944782

If you like the Piledriver style of play, I'd recommend adding a little more weapon power help in the build, by either cutting the faster missile locks by swapping the magazine to a regeneration extender or adding a blaster effiency engineering passive.

In the video you mention you really like Wingman and you're not sure if you can get it on the Rycer. Copilot abilities and the passives crew provide aren't ship/class specific, they are the same no matter what ship you're playing. So if you have access to Wingman on your Gunship you definitely have access to it on your Rycer.

If you'd like a more detailed explanation on how the crew/copilot stuff works let me know and I can go over it.

Drak as always I appreciate the feedback! I checked out that video will need to practice the swap gun a little bit but i see the point of having 2 lasers now vs having ion.

On another note work is crazy atm and with 5.10 dropping next week all my YouTube time has been taken up by doing the last 2 expansions with my merc to bevready for the update and new story. So let's play is on hold for possibly a week or so. I'm not going anywhere I promise! Would link my story gameplay here but it's not gsf related and can be found in my thread in the community content section.

Fly well boys and girls and may the meta be ever in your favor! Cya all in a week or two!

• 2 weeks later...

Yay a video I can "kinda" see how I did.

Thanks for the Vid, and any others that do this, just got into GSF, well started on the EU server like 3 weeks ago, don't know why I did that (stayed there for 2 weeks), lot of wasted time, but was a bit of a learning experience, still far from being decent.

Tunnel vision, I seem to do that a lot, it is taking me some time, but I'm learning to break away, if the chase is too long, there has been so many times tunnel vision with me, that it takes me to a enemy Gunship.

or a Capitol Ship as seen there at the end

I don't always go for a kill count, looks nice, but in my eyes, high assist, tells me the team is working together, high death count , sometimes just means someone is too aggressive, or totally new.

still wanted to say, cool ,a Vid that has me in it

no problem i upload these for fun and its a huge honor when you guys take the time to comment and give feedback!

If your new to GSF i HIGHLY suggest checking out drakolichs guides he is one of the most knowledgeable pilots in the game. As well please type /cjoin gsf in game for a custom chat channel that most of the pilots are on.

its a steep learning curve but its hella fun so stick with it! Add me in game on H'edraa ill fly with you impside star forge if im on!

yes that's the one I used, from Drakkolich ship builds, had to skip some pages to find any up dates, since the builds were back in 2014, and I didn't see any update date on the OP.

I didn't have it booked marked, and couldn't find it again, but just did. The one thing I changed for me, on the Quell build, was the engine, that dive got me killed too many times, and find the Barrel works out better for me

speaking of Drakkolich, looked like he was on the other team, so said to my self, I better look good if they're streaming, and the first time I fired my Primary, there was a big DOH!!, earlier I was adding skill to the other upgrades, just maxing everything, got what I like so far, and this way if something changes, they be upgraded already, if they become the new meta.

The Doh!!, was I had just purchased the heavy lasers, but didn't upgrade, and forgot to switch back to to the lights, so there was a 'What The' moment, and had to deal what I could, well at least I didn't do the least amount of damage :D

So much for looking good in front of the camera . . well actually I was staying away from it, if there was one

yes that's the one I used, from Drakkolich ship builds, had to skip some pages to find any up dates, since the builds were back in 2014, and I didn't see any update date on the OP.

I didn't have it booked marked, and couldn't find it again, but just did. The one thing I changed for me, on the Quell build, was the engine, that dive got me killed too many times, and find the Barrel works out better for me

speaking of Drakkolich, looked like he was on the other team, so said to my self, I better look good if they're streaming, and the first time I fired my Primary, there was a big DOH!!, earlier I was adding skill to the other upgrades, just maxing everything, got what I like so far, and this way if something changes, they be upgraded already, if they become the new meta.

The Doh!!, was I had just purchased the heavy lasers, but didn't upgrade, and forgot to switch back to to the lights, so there was a 'What The' moment, and had to deal what I could, well at least I didn't do the least amount of damage :D

So much for looking good in front of the camera . . well actually I was staying away from it, if there was one

I post in the thread whenever I update my ship builds and what I changed.

I'm not sure what you're talking about with me being on the other team, was this in one of my videos you mean?

And im back!!! check out #5 in the lets play series! Remember to leave a like and please comment on the video itself! Subscribe if you want to see more like this!

Tried out a new build this time let me know what y'all think

Really neat video here, showcasing your first run on a completely new build is pretty brave, but really cool to see you learning even by the end of the first match.

Your commentary on what you need to do to improve was really spot on in this one, this is a great video for helping new players learn from.

One thing about this build is how difficult it is to manage it's engine power, without having access to a thruster and Quick charge shield you've got a lot less tools to make your engine power last. This means you really need to take more downtime then normal. After boosting for long durations or after a long fight you need to take more opertunities for engine breaks to regain all that lost engine power.

There is one thing I wanted to mention, Repair drone heals 120 health every 3 seconds to ships that remain in the area of the drone, it's not a "buff" you pick up by just going to the drone and then leaving, you have to remain in it's area for a decent period of time to regain your health. You kept going in and getting 1 tick of healing and then leaving, you definitely want to stick around a touch longer to get a few more ticks in when your hull is that low and you aren't absolutely needed anywhere at that moment.

I post in the thread whenever I update my ship builds and what I changed.

I'm not sure what you're talking about with me being on the other team, was this in one of my videos you mean?

saw you was on the other side, and possibly was streaming, or not.

If it wasn't you then a name closely similar spelled, I later checked, and saw it wasn't a day you say you stream on,

• 2 weeks later...
new match uploaded! check it out! imperium this time instead of mangler

I'm not going to talk much about the Gunship play, it's basically the same old stuff, weapon power management was a little rough and try to plan your barrels a little sooner so you can aim them better, you often only start aiming the barrel once the missile is already in the air. If you start aiming the barrel while they are still locking you'll be able to barrel to cover much easier.

As for the Imperium, I found it very odd you opted for extra ammo over the extra range on Protons in your build. I know you spoke of the fact that you don't like running out of ammo but the extra range on Protons is a really big deal, I'd highly suggest atleast playing with it for a while. In build questions which crew passives are you using for your offensive crewmate? If you're not using extra Arc I highly recommend getting that one.

One thing I'm noticing while you're playing this build is that you're a little too focused on only firing missiles with the slicing combo, for example at the start of the game, a Scout picks up damage overcharge and immediately barrels and you turn away from him. I would have immediately chased him to try to get that proton knowing that I won't even need to use slicing to land it since he doesn't have a missile break for another 15-17 seconds.

A big example of this is at roughly the 4 minute mark, you see a Strike retro, wait until he goes past you and then you lock a proton and slice him and fire it. You do get the kill here but the slice was absolutely not necesary. You then swap to the Quads and Pods scout to engage him however your slice is on cooldown now and he simply barrels away from you.

When an enemy starts turning tightly and you want to find him again, what you want to do is go to slow throttle ("S" by default) and switch out of power to engines (unless you desperately need to regen engine power). At about 2:30 in the video you're trying to find him again and because you're in regular throttle and power to engines your turning speed is slower because you're going faster.

When using directional shields you really only want to change it to a specific direction when you're absolutely certain all the attacks are coming from that way. For example when running away and you know everyone is behind you, you can put them full back. At one point you put shields full back and leave them there for a really long time, you end up taking damage up front a few times that goes almost all straight to hull. My prefered way to use directionals is to keep them balanced 95%+ of the time and after I've taken damage when I use my power dive I cycle them to back > forward > balanced again, this helps with your regeneration since your shield arc that wasn't hit is immediately regenerating and it also refills the side that is taking damage.

In a Strike Fighter the power settings give huge boosts to whatever setting you're in. For example being in F1 (Power to Weapons) in a Strike fighter is a 38% damage increase over being in F3 (Power to Engines) for your primary lasers. This means that by not swaping to power to weapons you're losing a ton of damage. In a Gunship not swaping to Power to Weapons hurts but in the end it's just some lost weapon power, in a Strike Fighter doing is like not using a high damage cooldown.

Later in the video you talk about Barreling off spawn to get back into the action, I'd recommend not doing that unless you're sure the opposition is very far away, keeping access to your break is very important on Gunship. If you do want to get back into it a little faster on your Strike, what you can do is pitch up 45 degrees after spawning and hit power dive this will shoot you up on an angle and then back down on an angle but you'll have gone in the direction you were looking at as you spawned in.

You got some great kills in this video and you can see how much you're really enjoying playing this build. Once you get the hang of all the micro adjustments you'll start to really see why many of the top players believe this is the best 1v1 build in the game right now.

As usual great video, can't wait to see the next one!