GSF is even worse now

JecVanguard

I've given up on GSF, I could barely compete before now it's impossible. Quite apart from the fact that cross faction is just moronic, why would republic fight with imperials against other republic, I know of at least one veteran who has given up also due to the ridiculous unbalanced matchmaking. That particular vet was much better than me, I saw them get 20 kills in a match once, if people like that are leaving then what hope have I got.

I agree, the matches are even more lopsided then they have been for the last year or 2. At least then a vet could try to balance things out on their own, Now it's just blowout, after blowout. 50-2, or 1000-100 is becoming the norm. So much for making more competitive matches.

This matchmaker encourages Vets to group up even more if they want a chance at winning, or stop wasting their time playing.

For those saying BW may have given everyone a blank slate, as of the patch, that would be very dumb on BW's part. They have years of data on each character to judge the skill level. All they had to do was use what stats were already there.

Edited by Toraak

If I didn't know better, I'd say that whoever wrote this system designed it to make the most lopsided matches ever.

I'm usually on the stronger team. I usually win.

I just got out of a match where the teams were:

3-man premade (I wasn't in it)

One gunship... wouldn't say ace, but competent enough

And... me.

Almost everyone on the team got kills.

vs.

A team that only got one kill, unless you count capship turrets. Only one of them got >10k damage.

I'm not convinced that matchmaker has the correct ratings for everyone yet, and may not for a little while. It's also possible that it's not improved enough to make good matches, but lets be real: it's much harder to make good GSF matches, based on that stats that are tracked. If whatever internal ELO is good enough, then it will eventually be pretty good at it. With how effortless it is to make meaningful alts (same account or new account) and gear them enough, GSF is in a situation that is pretty uniquely unlike ground pvp, and the matchmaker should logically take more time to figure it out.

It's also possible that the logic it is using needs to be repaired. I think it does a little better than before the patch, but I'm just not sure yet. I've seen some dumb matches being made. It's worth complaining about, though I think we should hold off the pitchforks for a week or so to see if things get a lot better.

The fetish it has for 12s, however... I think I'm gonna make a post and see what everyone thinks about that.

• 4 weeks later...
I agree, the matches are even more lopsided then they have been for the last year or 2. At least then a vet could try to balance things out on their own, Now it's just blowout, after blowout. 50-2, or 1000-100 is becoming the norm. So much for making more competitive matches.

This matchmaker encourages Vets to group up even more if they want a chance at winning, or stop wasting their time playing.

For those saying BW may have given everyone a blank slate, as of the patch, that would be very dumb on BW's part. They have years of data on each character to judge the skill level. All they had to do was use what stats were already there.

What server do you play on? I play on Satele Shan, so our experiences may be different.

In my experience I'm seeing fewer blowouts, more competitive matches, and more early ends due to uneven distribution of the players. And because there is no benefit to switching sides when it is perceived that one faction has the talent edge over the other, the teams are more varied.

The matchmaker needs refinement, but it's on the right track.

• 4 weeks later...

Bioware needs to break the bad habit of completely overhauling something if they haven't touched it for a while. GSF, leveling experience, story content, gearing experience, conquest... All of this have been a mess because they lack patience and foresight.

The problem with GSF beforehand was that Gunships did ridiculous amounts of damage from extreme distances which made them over-powered. And Scouts with their cannons, as well as Bomber drones. Did they nerf those even, despite the amount of changes they made last year? No. Instead, some genius thought it was a good idea to touch everything else, even if it didn't need fixing, and now GSF is just as unfun in general as it was in that particular map called Gunship National Park with Gunship nests in abundance. I used to play GSF regularly, now I am in it for the achievements and nothing more. I know a lot of people don't care either, hence why we are getting so many AFKers and whatnot. There is no point in trying when your Scout or Bomber has been nerfed to utter uselessness except in areas that were actually needed, but Gunships remain the same and Strike Fighters got a major buff--to the point that they can do everything better than anything else--when it wasn't even necessary to begin with. Bioware, you've already taken your time in finally coming to even think of touching GSF, yet you couldn't spend a little extra time thinking things through?

What is taking them so long to undue or amend the effects of yesteryear's patch? Are they actually taking things seriously as to not make things worse when the time comes for another patch? I hope so.

Edited by ForfiniteStories

• 3 weeks later...
Bioware needs to break the bad habit of completely overhauling something if they haven't touched it for a while. GSF, leveling experience, story content, gearing experience, conquest... All of this have been a mess because they lack patience and foresight.

The problem with GSF beforehand was that Gunships did ridiculous amounts of damage from extreme distances which made them over-powered. And Scouts with their cannons, as well as Bomber drones. Did they nerf those even, despite the amount of changes they made last year? No. Instead, some genius thought it was a good idea to touch everything else, even if it didn't need fixing, and now GSF is just as unfun in general as it was in that particular map called Gunship National Park with Gunship nests in abundance. I used to play GSF regularly, now I am in it for the achievements and nothing more. I know a lot of people don't care either, hence why we are getting so many AFKers and whatnot. There is no point in trying when your Scout or Bomber has been nerfed to utter uselessness except in areas that were actually needed, but Gunships remain the same and Strike Fighters got a major buff--to the point that they can do everything better than anything else--when it wasn't even necessary to begin with. Bioware, you've already taken your time in finally coming to even think of touching GSF, yet you couldn't spend a little extra time thinking things through?

What is taking them so long to undue or amend the effects of yesteryear's patch? Are they actually taking things seriously as to not make things worse when the time comes for another patch? I hope so.

I think the rise in effectiveness of strike fighters had mitigated the concerns about gunships being overpowered somewhat. When you can launch proton torpedoes from 11.5K m against a ship that has to charge it's 15K m weapon, there is a chance to fight them.

My bigger concern is finding a way to deal with the afk problem and the people who don't even play the game while in it while also providing incentive *to* play the game. To me, that's all about fixing what rewards Conquest gives you for doing GSF stuff. Give them nothing for being afk and give people something for simple achievements like 5 assists/kills combined or 200 objective points in domination. Give higher amounts for larger achievements.

The way GSF is going though, it seems to be less popular than ever. I waited hours for a pop in the afternoon the other day and one of the two games ended early due to lack of players.

You guys act surprised. This is hands down the worst space sim ever made. Xwing vs tie 20+ years old more fun than this utter garbage It was a sales gimmick, it plays like a sales gimmick hell even SWG's space sim was preferable to this crap. Just accept that the dev team is an utter joke and stop deluding yourselves this will never get better because they always intended this to be like crafting a half baked concoction that plays at being a space sim or a crafting aspect mere shadows of what other MMO's have designed to luring in unsuspecting MMO players. Edited by Kazz_Devlin

Don't be bitter because some of us can dodge those asteroids.

You mean all three of you who are still playing GSF? Excluding the hapless noobs who stick their toe in the GSF pond to test the water, I'm of the opinion that the only players who still do GSF are either masochists or sadists - either you enjoy getting slaughtered mercilessly in a lopsided match, or you enjoy inflicting untold misery on the poor kids who queued up for the first time in unmastered ships without the slightest clue why that Strike ship is killing them over and over again with EMP and Proton torps. And vets wonder why players AFK in GSF? To me, even after the matchmaking changes in 5.9, GSF is like an abusive relationship where the only people who keep playing are either hoping that things will one day be different or they are the ones doing the abusing, when the reality is that GSF is always going to be a terribly conceived and poorly implemented PvP format that remains an utter waste of development resources right up until the day EA puts a fork in the game and it finally shuts down.

But don't let me dissuade you from doing your thing. You dodge those asteroids, Ace!

Edited by Mournblood

You mean all three of you who are still playing GSF?

GSF queues pop even when there's no event. I would even claim GSF is pretty healthy on Satele, which is currently suffering from depop as players move to Star Forge for non-GSF related reasons.

Excluding the hapless noobs who stick their toe in the GSF pond to test the water, I'm of the opinion that the only players who still do GSF are either masochists or sadists

I don't think you'll find many masochists, given the kvetching that occurs when good players lose, but only a few players really didn't like the imba carry ships being balanced. As to sadists, well, I'm sure the internet has a flag for me and my fellows that we can wave somewhere.

And vets wonder why players AFK in GSF?

WoW has a bot problem in battlegrounds, and it's still a popular game. AFKing is very common in Fortnite: Save The World, to the point where I don't even bother queuing public games because Epic doesn't action the same way Bioware does (and they have no excuse, with the biggest hit in years in their pocket they aren't hurting for cash). GSF AFKers, it takes awhile to figure out- the game mode is alien enough that nobody wants to report a worthless noob, as everyone is at least briefly a worthless noob, there's no crime there. But repeat offenders who are clearly griefing need reports and action, and we do see that.

At the end of the day, it's very much the case that some people will play GSF, be disoriented by a three-space game, and simply never like it. Others will love the freedom offered by a game where you can fly anywhere and have all that matter, and will put in the effort to get better.

GSF being tied to SWTOR has historically been more blessing than curse, but there is an issue where the game experiences high and low tide based on the MMO content available. The game has been at low tide for a couple months, but there's reason to assume that more players will return in the future, with reasonably serious numbers of announced content. More SWTOr players means more GSF players- even the return of some missing aces can be expected, honestly.

TGSF is always going to be a terribly conceived and poorly implemented PvP format that remains an utter waste of development resources right up until the day EA puts a fork in the game and it finally shuts down.

GSF is so good. Hating it is like hating a puppy. I'm glad I don't live in your head man.

But don't let me dissuade you from doing your thing. You dodge those asteroids, Ace!

6/10 could have been snarkier and still not gotten actioned.

Well said Verain.

Anyway, lopsided-ness is very dependent on:

Time of day

Day of week

Events going on, both in game and in guild

Server

Since 5.9.2, my anecdotal experience playing when I do on SS is that matches are less frequently lopsided than before. Yes, they absolutely still occur, even in the absence of outnumbered matches, but not as frequently, it seems to me.

Also, to the folks that think Strikes are "Overpowered", let me mention this little fact.

• GSF Early Access occured with Game Update 2.5 on Dec 3, 2013
  • United Forces Preparation, which brought the balance changes, with Game Update 5.5 occured on Oct 10, 2017

So, strikes were horribly underpowered for 3 years and 10 months, and, they've been meta for just over a year. This constitutes OP? Really? Because now missiles are something to be worried about and strikes aren't food anymore?

I hate it when Drako Slicer's Loops/Remote Slices/Damage Overcharge/Protons me just as much as anyone. I've died to it, or its cousin EMPm/Protorp plenty of times. But that's part of the game, and I've been on the delivering end of those combos too. And if I don't go out and get the DO before he does, or get behind LoS, that's on me. If I go and seek him out when he has DO and is flying a Clarion/Imperium and try to joust him in open space, I deserve every debuff and protorp he throws at me. And if I don't get with a team, to have teammates peel him off of me, or even just ask in ops chat for someone to peel for me, well, that's on me as well. And even if I flew perfectly, I'm still going to get shot down sometimes.

I'm not opposed to a discussion on whether CC is too powerful, a year after its buffs in 5.5. I think its a worthwhile discussion. RS is a one trick pony, only works on one target as opposed to EMP field which makes a bunch of allies immune to missile locks and disables engines. And it was a wasted cooldown if you get behind LoS, get out of proton range, or lead the pilot who remote sliced you into your gunship wall to get blasted to bits.

You mean all three of you who are still playing GSF? Excluding the hapless noobs who stick their toe in the GSF pond to test the water, I'm of the opinion that the only players who still do GSF are either masochists or sadists - either you enjoy getting slaughtered mercilessly in a lopsided match, or you enjoy inflicting untold misery on the poor kids who queued up for the first time in unmastered ships without the slightest clue why that Strike ship is killing them over and over again with EMP and Proton torps. And vets wonder why players AFK in GSF?

That's still my personal perception. But I've given up posting here, because 1. nothing will ever change, 2. those who still play won't be seeing any point in criticism anyway, because they are too good to notice he hardships of new players.

I will never understand the mind-set that led developers into letting - so to say - elementary school players playing against top tier players. I'm just unable to.

• 3 months later...
Strikes were never underpowered. You were just bad at playing them.

Strikes were poor for many years when GSF first came out. If you could do well in a strike back then you would have done better in other ships. Battlescouts were better dogfighters, Mangler/querral or Jurg/condor were the better for doing damage at range, and Bombers were better at denying space to the enemy.

Now however many more ships are viable in competitive matches then just the old school meta. Now all 3 strikes are added to that. Far more different builds are effective as well. The 5.5 changes that allows such Diversity for builds being viable was a huge improvement compared to the old meta.

GSF is so good. Hating it is like hating a puppy. I'm glad I don't live in your head man.

Agreed! Feeling that much negativity to something you're not invested in can't be healthy.

I enjoy GSF, and I'm definitely a novice. A good match for me is when my kill/assists outnumber my deaths, regardless of the team score.

it must depend on what server you play on and when you play.

What follows are the scores from the 21 scoresheets I saved from Jan. 21 to Feb. 7, all on Star Forge.

tdm

44 - 49

49 - 48

50 - 37

50 - 25

50 - 38

18 - 50

40 - 50

50 - 48

42 -50

50 - 15

50 - 39

50 -24

50 - 26

50 - 37

domination

788 - 884

1000 - 903

1000 - 541

1000 - 947

1000 - 404

1000 - 443

657 - 1000

I did not save every match, and there were some that were bad routs, there was 1 I did not save that I think ended up 50 - 5. But you can see that there were plenty of close matches, a few close enough that almost every player could ask themselves what would have happened if they had not had that self-destruct or could have held that sat a few seconds longer.

Glad to see it somewhat works on Star Forge. I have been doing the same over the past days on my server (10-02-2019 until 12-02-2019):

TDM

47 - 50

29 - 50

37 - 50

Dom

12 - 1000 (I wish I had made this one up)

11-02-2019

TDM

50 - 10

13 - 50

50 - 37

29 - 50

44 - 11

42 - 44

Dom

1000 - 696

717 - 1000

1000 - 180

200 - 1000

12-02-2019

TDM

46 - 42

50 - 23

16 - 50

19 - 50

Dom

25 - 1000

161 - 1000

All scores are written as own team - opposing team. Welcome to Darth Malgus.

I had exactly three close matches that I enjoyed, win or loose. Most of them are incredibly lopsided and I have been on both side, win and loose. And I didn't enjoy them either way. First match of yesterday I was on the winning side and about halfway through I just flew around collecting the upgrades. Simply because I refused to participate in the spawn camping that was going on. I would very much like to know how our fair devs think about these numbers. Something is clearly not correct.

Edited by Shariva