Ask me anything / Training

Drakkolich

Would it be possible for someone to take some time to show me the ropes. I would really love gsf, but I can never get anything done before I'm blasted out of the sky. I have like 20 matches across all toons since it was created, and I remember always loving it more than warzones, but never had any help getting good.

I'd be down over the weekend to join someone's discord or something and play in gsf while learning things and why the are important and how I can get better. I'd love to get good. I just need help because **** is overwhelming at first.

• Replies 894
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would it be possible for someone to take some time to show me the ropes. I would really love gsf, but I can never get anything done before I'm blasted out of the sky. I have like 20 matches across all toons since it was created, and I remember always loving it more than warzones, but never had any help getting good.

I'd be down over the weekend to join someone's discord or something and play in gsf while learning things and why the are important and how I can get better. I'd love to get good. I just need help because **** is overwhelming at first.

It's very difficult, to both fly and explain stuff at the same time, this is why I usually do all my teaching via recordings these days. Do you have the ability to record yourself playing by chance?

I offer 1 on 1 video analysis to anyone that asks, we basically watch the footage of you playing and I explain where you can improve.

If you don't have the ability to record I'd be happy to get in voice with you and answer all your questions in real time.

It's very difficult, to both fly and explain stuff at the same time, this is why I usually do all my teaching via recordings these days. Do you have the ability to record yourself playing by chance?

I offer 1 on 1 video analysis to anyone that asks, we basically watch the footage of you playing and I explain where you can improve.

If you don't have the ability to record I'd be happy to get in voice with you and answer all your questions in real time.

Yea, I'm certainly open to attempting to record, I'm pretty sure nvidia has that feature now. I'll try and play a couple sessions doing my best tonight.

Servo Jammer is itself an Interdiction effect, so it doesn't stack with other Interdiction effects, it would however stack with regular slows that don't effect turning. This means Servo Jammer would stack with Ion Railguns slow but not Interdiction drive or Interdiction drone.

I'm not sure what you mean by Servo Jammer vs Remote Slicing in your question, they aren't in the same ability slots so you're able to have both.

Remote Slicings effects stack with everything because it's debuffs aren't slow related.

I really wasn't sure what you were asking here Storm so if I missed the purpose of your question I'm sorry, please let me know if I answered your question or not and if not maybe ask multiple direct questions instead.

I think you answered it. TY. - So if you equipped servo jammer and interdiction drive, there is no need to simultaneously use both on enemies, it's best to use 1 while the other is on CD.

Whereas slicers loop is an additional debuff, it doesn't stack ( double the effects) but does combine with interdiction drive for instance, since 1 affects turn rate, and the other power regeneration, so to really screw an enemy, you could in theory use both.

This is kinda what I thought, but it's hard to prove in GSF chat with someone who was convinced otherwise. :)

- and yes I did mean slicers loop - I misnamed it remote slicing - which was possibly an old smuggler skill, which CC'd droids in ground PvE

I think you answered it. TY. - So if you equipped servo jammer and interdiction drive, there is no need to simultaneously use both on enemies, it's best to use 1 while the other is on CD.

Whereas slicers loop is an additional debuff, it doesn't stack ( double the effects) but does combine with interdiction drive for instance, since 1 affects turn rate, and the other power regeneration, so to really screw an enemy, you could in theory use both.

This is kinda what I thought, but it's hard to prove in GSF chat with someone who was convinced otherwise. :)

- and yes I did mean slicers loop - I misnamed it remote slicing - which was possibly an old smuggler skill, which CC'd droids in ground PvE

Yeah it's actually very difficult to prove to someone in GSF chat because depending on the order you place them on the target, the servo jammer "dubuff icon" will actually remain on your opponent even though it's doing nothing. We were really surprised by this result so we did a lot of testing to confirm this finding.

Ah ok yeah Slicer's loop stacks just fine because it's a completely different.

Glad I was able to help :)

• 4 weeks later...

Scoreboard question

the column for Objectives

can you break down what they are ? sometimes I see I'll have like something 10, then others 190, and any where in-between (or lower or higher)

what did I do ?, is this something left from a previous scoreboard ? I don't know what to do for Objectives

I know damage, captures and such, but how do they fall into the Objective score

there was another question I really wanted to ask, but never remember, what it was, till I'm in a match

I am not so sure about the objective score and drako probably knows more about it, but here is what I know:

As far as I remember the thing that gives the most objective points is staying close to a satelite hat you own.

Though honestly if you want a messure of skill or objectives done I would look at the medals instead. They represent all the other stuff like kills assists, capturing satelites and so on.

As for your problem with F3, I can somehow relate to that (as in controls going haywire). In my case though I either press 3 and F3 depending on the keyboard or my hand is one key to the side. I don't know if that explains your experience too though I kind of doubt it. If it is only on a specific character you could also check your keybindings.

It's all,

I first thought I was pressing 3 and not F3. It's not something that happens all the time, just every once in a while, and sometimes the worse times.

So it does happen to others ?

As for the objective Score, just curious what contributes to that score, medals I understand, though yesterday wish I took a screen shot, did the 4 min defend, saw it in chat left to Sat to do some offensive damage, and in the end, no medal nor did it count for the Conquest , almost happened twice, but the other time, I was destroyed with 2 seconds before the 4 minutes :mad:

now I'm wondering how many other medals I should had received, but not get, I don't really pay attention, but I did for the 4 minute defend yesterday. So now I question system, that I probably should had been getting more, and a better score, many times i see the results (Score Board) and do that Whaaaaa The ???

will need to pay closer attention on the objective score, and reaccount my time staying near the Sat

thanks for the reply

Scoreboard question

the column for Objectives

can you break down what they are ? sometimes I see I'll have like something 10, then others 190, and any where in-between (or lower or higher)

what did I do ?, is this something left from a previous scoreboard ? I don't know what to do for Objectives

I know damage, captures and such, but how do they fall into the Objective score

If you hover your mouse pointer over the objective score it will tell you how many points you earned in each category. You can also hover your pointer over your medal count and get the breakdown of those.

the last match I was in last night, had 7 medals, but had 0 score in objectives, not the first time I've seen that.

I seem to be having a difficult time understanding how Medals and the Objective correlate with the Matchscores.

I can only digest they are two separate, but slightly related how the score is tallied

also that the Objective column has nothing to do with anything, unfinished or was meant to be removed. pretty much meaningless,

Although if it was meant for something, then I'd like to know what adds to the Objective score. as mentioned, I've had medals, but no Objective score. and in that match (last nights) I was at or near the SAT 90% of the time, so I don't think medals have anything thing to do with the Objective score, but there are some relations going on there, with how the scores are gathered.

the medals collected is not in question, just the Objective score on the scoreboard.

Seems confusing to have a column for Objectives, and one for medals (that list objectives achieved in the match), and have a 0 score for Objectives

If you hover your mouse pointer over the objective score it will tell you how many points you earned in each category. You can also hover your pointer over your medal count and get the breakdown of those.

I thought I had tried that and saw nothing, but will give that a try again.

or

maybe I had done that and didn't understand what I was looking at, next match I'll try and mouse hover on the objective score

ETA: just noticed something, you get no score under Objectives depending on match type

ETA II: okay this latest GSF match, I did see some of the same Objectives being counted, in both Medals and Objective columns, 'Thanks phalczen for reminding me to hover over Objective score I see it, but not all objectives seem to appear in the Objective column.

Edited by Achnaatthree

I thought I had tried that and saw nothing, but will give that a try again.

or

maybe I had done that and didn't understand what I was looking at, next match I'll try and mouse hover on the objective score

ETA: just noticed something, you get no score under Objectives depending on match type

ETA II: okay this latest GSF match, I did see some of the same Objectives being counted, in both Medals and Objective columns, 'Thanks phalczen for reminding me to hover over Objective score I see it, but not all objectives seem to appear in the Objective column.

Team Deathmatch has only one objective: blow up the other players’ ships. So there won’t be a result there for TDM, only for Domination.

will need to pay closer attention on the objective score, and reaccount my time staying near the Sat

Two points about time defending.

1. You need to be really close. As in the ends of the fins sticking out from the sides of the satellite may be a little bit too far away. Every time you get outside of that range the defense timer will stop counting until you get back in range.

2. The clock that counts is the server's clock. Generally this doesn't make all that much difference, but if you're at say, 350 ms latency to the server, then if you're flying in and out of range of satellites a bunch, those bits of time between when your computer sends the message, "hey I'm near a satellite," and when the server receives that message can add up. So it's possible that with a stopwatch you'd be thinking, "I spent 4:01 defending the satellite," but the server's records only show you defending for 3:56.

The second case is super rare though. Usually defense objectives being less than you think they should be are a matter of being too far from the satellite. If you're not at risk of crashing into the satellite, it's worth thinking about getting closer. Satellites need love too, so hug them a lot. Nice tight squeezy hugs, not lame arms length trying-not-to-touch hugs.

, "I spent 4:01 defending the satellite," but the server's records only show you defending for 3:56.

thing though, in chat, I read I achieved 4 min defend, but at the end there was no medal for 4 min, so did not complete the conquest complete for that.

certainly not going to take a screen shot every few seconds to record and able to report such, just to catch such a glitch, that may or may not ever happen again, because I wouldn't know something like that till the end of the match.

not upset that it did, just disappointed I had no means available to record it

• 2 weeks later...

was there ever green Doritos on the compass ? , like the red ones, that can go a long way helping with orientation, and keeping with your friendlies

I could probably keep track better if I could see where my team is at, rather then fly in a ring till I see them on the map.

don't understand the reason to keep us disorientated, can't look where we're going, before we go there, so give me something to keep as a land mark, show friendlies too on the compass, (if you want to call it a compass)

was there ever green Doritos on the compass ? , like the red ones, that can go a long way helping with orientation, and keeping with your friendlies

I could probably keep track better if I could see where my team is at, rather then fly in a ring till I see them on the map.

don't understand the reason to keep us disorientated, can't look where we're going, before we go there, so give me something to keep as a land mark, show friendlies too on the compass, (if you want to call it a compass)

No Sadly friends aren't on your firing arc like enemies are. The only way to find friends is by using the minimap.

You can use the "V" key (bound to that be default) to reorient your ship though, so that you can figure out which direction you're looking easier.

No Sadly friends aren't on your firing arc like enemies are. The only way to find friends is by using the minimap.

You can use the "V" key (bound to that be default) to reorient your ship though, so that you can figure out which direction you're looking easier.

dang . . was hoping there was something in preference that I missed to turn it on

okay, thanks

that V key is too slow, it's not pressing the key that is slow, just the action it takes is very slow. should snap , not take forever like I'm under heavy gravity, I'm in space there shouldn't be any strain in rotating the ship