Help me understand character naming.

MrSchmo

Forgive me if this has been discussed before, but I can't locate the info or I wouldn't of asked.

How does character naming work? Is it one name for all 8 characters/class you have, or one for each? Do you have one global name then 8 sub-names for you characters? How to your friends locate you in the game world with different names per character?

Thanks for all replys.

Forgive me if this has been discussed before, but I can't locate the info or I wouldn't of asked.

How does character naming work? Is it one name for all 8 characters/class you have, or one for each? Do you have one global name then 8 sub-names for you characters? How to your friends locate you in the game world with different names per character?

Thanks for all replys.

You get to name each of your individual characters, but not same name of course. I am unsure about accented characters. TO locate friend, assuming you know them in real life, they just give you the name and you add them via. friend list pane.

You have one name per character, and you choose this name at character creation. Right now, you have to delete the toon and start over if you want a different name, but soon enough BW will offer character renaming for a small price.

Once you complete chapter 1 in the story on one of your characters, you get to choose a legacy name. That legacy name will be shared by all your characters.

For example:

Toon name: Arachnid

Legacy: Spidey

Toon name: Arachnea

Toon name: BlackWidow

For TOR, you don't have a global common name for your characters like STO and COL. each character has its own first name.

After you unlock the Legacy system at the end of Chapter 1 for your first character, you give your characters a common last name.

So you have Luke and then after the completion of your first character story chapter, you get a last name...Say Skywalker.

Then you make a new Character....Lea. her last name starts off as Skywalker.

Thanks guys.

Makes much more sense now. So not only do I have to pick a legacy name, I have to find 8 different other names? I don think I'm that creative with character naming to come up with 8 unique names.

Now does the legacy name and the othe surname have to be different name from everyone else in the 'universe'?

I am not as creative in the naming department as others are. I tend to use the random name generator. I just keep hitting random name until I can get something that I like or can Pronounce or remember.

There are many random name generators you can use on the web. Baby Name sites are great as well especially if you go to one that has old (like medieval or victorian names) or name sites for other languages are pretty good too.

I am not as creative in the naming department as others are. I tend to use the random name generator. I just keep hitting random name until I can get something that I like or can Pronounce or remember.

There are many random name generators you can use on the web. Baby Name sites are great as well especially if you go to one that has old (like medieval or victorian names) or name sites for other languages are pretty good too.

That's a good idea. Thanks. Glad to see I'm not the only one thhats uncreative the naming deptment.

Does anybody know what the minimum character length will be for Legacy names? I really like to plan chracter names, and want to have a 4 character Legacy name.

In the beta, I had characters with 3 letters in the name. Didn't try shorter. Could have changed for launch.

The SWTOR character creator has a random name generator too. No need to go to the web, because with the SWTOR generator you are sure to get a name that is viable in game (i.e. no special characters).

Now does the legacy name and the othe surname have to be different name from everyone else in the 'universe'?

The legacy name has to be unique on all servers, if I understood it correctly. I.e. if someone on server A has legacy name Spidey, you can't have it even if you are on server B, so you have to come up with something unique like Spideys.

The legacy name is the surname.

Your first name has to be unique on your server. So you can have a toon named Arachnid on server B and someone else unrelated to you has a toon named Arachnid on server A. However, if you want to create a second character on the same server, you have to choose a new name, like Arachnea.

The legacy name has to be unique on all servers, if I understood it correctly. I.e. if someone on server A has legacy name Spidey, you can't have it even if you are on server B, so you have to come up with something unique like Spideys.

The legacy name is the surname.

Your first name has to be unique on your server. So you can have a toon named Arachnid on server B and someone else unrelated to you has a toon named Arachnid on server A. However, if you want to create a second character on the same server, you have to choose a new name, like Arachnea.

Thanks. You have been a huge help clarifying the naming convention for me.