Companion same sex marriage and reputation

TrixxieTriss

This is an old arguement, why can't we have this? We never had this option before Lana and Theron were introduced in an expansion. Originally it was planned to have same sex relationships and I believe it was even in the alpha and beta versions. But was removed because of the crazy Christian lobby in America having a hissy fit. Since Disney took over SW, all that has changed, that don't give a rats what the zealots think.

So if you want to be with the same sex you can now be with Lana or Theron. But even now you can't cement the relationship. And let's face it, they aren't really relationship material, lol.

With Bio now concentrating on story mode in this game, there needs to be some tweaks for the original stories. All we need is the same options we have on the opposite sex companions to be an option on the same sex companions.

I understand this maybe a little bit of a challenge for the Devs, but seeing as they want this to be based mainly on story, while letting the MMO part of the game die, I can't see why they can't put a small amount of reasources into tweaking this.

Even if all this is in the too hard basket, how about letting us have that option with our returning companions during the new story. And for the love of God, please give us back ones we can romance and not things like Quaz.

Some of you will ask why all of this is an issue for me and others, it's because we are gay or lesbian and it's off putting having to chose the opposite sex to romance. Also this isn't some gay agenda I'm pushing for either, I just want to be able to submerge myself in the story the same as every other person can.

Lastly, if all that is still too hard, can you at least remove the negative reputation we get when we say no to our opposite sex companions advances. I literally had no option with the Warrior companion Doc in a few conversations to choose anything but flirt if I didn't want a big negative. I didn't even have a neutral option as 2 of them say flirt (he really is a dirty perve lol)

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lastly, if all that is still too hard, can you at least remove the negative reputation we get when we say no to our opposite sex companions advances. I literally had no option with the Warrior companion Doc in a few conversations to choose anything but flirt if I didn't want a big negative. I didn't even have a neutral option as 2 of them say flirt (he really is a dirty perve lol)

Oh gosh, so much this (although, Doc's a Knight comp ;) ). Someone who doesn't want to be in a relationship does not necessarily have to be an ******e.

Also the other things you said. My female smuggler has been holding a torch for Risha for so long... sigh.

Oh gosh, so much this (although, Doc's a Knight comp ;) ). Someone who doesn't want to be in a relationship does not necessarily have to be an ******e.

Agreed, with Revel/annoying pirate twit for the Inquisitor I was literally afraid to brush him off for 'disapproves'. It's bad enough female players have so few options and the OP has even more reason to be frustrated since they had to wait until expansions for relationships that match them... but forcing us or with any companions we don't want to romance to pick romance options for approval is the height of stupidity at best and offensive at worst.

And pre 4.0, I think is when we could lose influence. :(

I agree, though unfortunately, I think part of the issue with romances in the class stories is that some of the dialogue is gender-specific. "Man this," "woman that." So they'd almost have to fudge with soundbites or get the voice actors back for a quick session in a few spots. Not to mention the complaints that may arise if they fundamentally change any of the dialogue (not that I'd care about them removing a reference or two to man and woman, but I assume some anti-revisionist-minded people would).

I noticed that in the new romances, they are careful about making flirt dialogue gender neutral, so that it transfers fluidly, regardless of gender. Pretty certain the new stuff is bereft of references to the player character's gender. A clever bit of time-saving that would have been great for going back to the class stories later. If only vision was 20/20 in foresight.

I agree, though unfortunately, I think part of the issue with romances in the class stories is that some of the dialogue is gender-specific. "Man this," "woman that." So they'd almost have to fudge with soundbites or get the voice actors back for a quick session in a few spots. Not to mention the complaints that may arise if they fundamentally change any of the dialogue (not that I'd care about them removing a reference or two to man and woman, but I assume some anti-revisionist-minded people would).

I noticed that in the new romances, they are careful about making flirt dialogue gender neutral, so that it transfers fluidly, regardless of gender. Pretty certain the new stuff is bereft of references to the player character's gender. A clever bit of time-saving that would have been great for going back to the class stories later. If only vision was 20/20 in foresight.

I have a friend who makes electronica music and sound bytes for work. It's relatively easy to change the small amount of dialogue without the actors. As long as you have the original sound files and not some dubbed ones.

As for complaints, it's the complainers that had the option removed before launch. I really have no sympathy for them, especially when they have other options and this one wouldn't impede their experience.

But if you want to talk about revisionists, what about how they have made the game stupidly easy and made all companions capable of doing any role. If they can change such major things like that and not give a damn, then it should hardly be a speed bump to change what I'm suggesting.

The companion conversations I had yesterday, didn't have any she or he dialogue that I came across.

Small response to the other two posts.

Yep, I meant Jedi Knight instead of Warrior.

And you still lose rep/affection a lot of the time if you choose not to flirt.

Also the other things you said. My female smuggler has been holding a torch for Risha for so long... sigh.

Kalio's also ready to swing both ways. :)

Small response to the other two posts.

Yep, I meant Jedi Knight instead of Warrior.

And you still lose rep/affection a lot of the time if you choose not to flirt.

About Doc, I'd just take the hit of fewer influence points and stuff him full of gifts and make convo options he'd like that aren't flirts (rare in his convo line, but there are a few...), then take him out to a few planet stuff from Hoth and beyond, picking up Heroics from the NPCs might be a good way to do so.

I'm hoping some previously unromance-able companions will be romance options (Sourge, Rusk, Qyzen, Talos despite already being brought back, Gault if the Hylo thing fell through, so on and so on) and those may or may not include same sex romances.

About Doc, I'd just take the hit of fewer influence points and stuff him full of gifts and make convo options he'd like that aren't flirts (rare in his convo line, but there are a few...), then take him out to a few planet stuff from Hoth and beyond, picking up Heroics from the NPCs might be a good way to do so.

I'm hoping some previously unromance-able companions will be romance options (Sourge, Rusk, Qyzen, Talos despite already being brought back, Gault if the Hylo thing fell through, so on and so on) and those may or may not include same sex romances.

Yeah I took the hit with that perve, Doc.. LoL

I want Jaesa, Kira, Calio and Ensign Temple

I wish I could marry Theron.

It doesn't need to be a big fancy wedding, just in his companion description there's a line that says, "You've married Theron Shan and have become his husband." But then again, I don't think he believes in marriage tho. :p

Of course, with this KoTFE series and later will be KoTET, I fear that somewhere along the line he could die, or be separated from the outlander indefinitely. Don't you dare BW, I've maxed his influence!! :(

Not against it if it's for future content. Hell no it if they have to change the old content. The game would be broken for months(if not years). Have you forgotten that inquisitors couldn't even start kotfe if they wanted to finish companion story with ashara? Or any other companion bug that hasn't been fixed for years? If you're not convinced just search the forums for "companion bug" and you'll find plenty.

1 Too difficult to reset the flags,

2 Too expensive with no monetary return,

3 Too many QQs on the forums saying we couldn't before so why can we now. - Can I reset please and re-romance someone different.

4 Some people are puritanical about it, some are more liberal.

and 5

If they can romance same gender in 1-50 story, some people will want to romance HK or the Akk dog or Veeroa Denz or the Wampa mount....or a Ceiling light. Then they'll want kids....It's a dark path that doesn't benefit anyone a whole lot.

It is what it is. It's not like these are real people, just pixels with a different face.

Hardcore RP-ers have their place, no question. -But the game is starved of content as it is.

Perhaps you should read the OP again.

There is nothing in there that remotely reads like a troll. It's a person asking for increased same sex romance options. Not sure what you think you're seeing... like is the idea of same sex romance just instantly a troll in your mind or something? Do you see it as a troll that a female character can romance lana or a male character can romance theron?

There is nothing in there that remotely reads like a troll. It's a person asking for increased same sex romance options. Not sure what you think you're seeing... like is the idea of same sex romance just instantly a troll in your mind or something? Do you see it as a troll that a female character can romance lana or a male character can romance theron?

Just do what I do when you pick up a troll, which is what they are trying to do, badly might I add, is put them on ignore. Then you don't even need to see their posts ever. It's like they are talking to thin air or to themselves. Then everyone gets to see who they really are. People with no social graces.

But thanks for sticking up for me 😘

Edited by TrixxieTriss

You have some weird logic....

1 Too difficult to reset the flags,

Okay, possibly. I could see that?

2 Too expensive with no monetary return,

Possible and fair enough.

3 Too many QQs on the forums saying we couldn't before so why can we now. - Can I reset please and re-romance someone different.

Eh, maybe also possible? Not sure it could be THAT hard and besides, what about a work around so you can romance them during/after KOTFE? Then people can romance Gault, Kira, Corso, or whoever the hey they want on whatever they want without having to worry about resetting flags or anything.

4 Some people are puritanical about it, some are more liberal.

That's a silly thing to worry about. We already have same-sex in the game. So what if the same people whining about that keep whining? Didn't stop Makeb, Theron, Lana, or the rest, right?

and 5

If they can romance same gender in 1-50 story, some people will want to romance HK or the Akk dog or Veeroa Denz or the Wampa mount....or a Ceiling light. Then they'll want kids....It's a dark path that doesn't benefit anyone a whole lot.

Okay, what? Did you just compare wanting to have same sex options with wanting to be romantic with animals and furniture? ....What? Okay, how are those two even related? You're starting to sound like the people you mentioned in #4 there. Wanting to romance same sex is miles away from wanting to romance an animal, a robot, or a chair.

It is what it is. It's not like these are real people, just pixels with a different face.

Hardcore RP-ers have their place, no question. -But the game is starved of content as it is.

That's a bit silly. With that logic, who cares about content at all? You can just...pretend to have more adventures? I mean, it's not real life. You can run around in game and pretend you're doing it for the first time?

Content is content is content. To some people knew companions, interactions, and such ARE the content they want. Some people want Ops. Some people want more PvP. All of those are content and all content is viable because it all has its fans. Saying "romance" isn't content doesn't really make sense. It's an online game we're having fun playing for what we each enjoy.

That's a bit silly. With that logic, who cares about content at all? You can just...pretend to have more adventures? I mean, it's not real life. You can run around in game and pretend you're doing it for the first time?

Content is content is content. To some people knew companions, interactions, and such ARE the content they want. Some people want Ops. Some people want more PvP. All of those are content and all content is viable because it all has its fans. Saying "romance" isn't content doesn't really make sense. It's an online game we're having fun playing for what we each enjoy.

His logic is pretty sound. Making new content for ALL players and including the option for RP to have same sex relationship with new or old returning companions is one thing. Tweaking the old 1-50 story to make that possible with the risk of breaking the whole game will cost money and will benefit ONLY that kind of players.

His logic is pretty sound. Making new content for ALL players and including the option for RP to have same sex relationship with new or old returning companions is one thing. Tweaking the old 1-50 story to make that possible with the risk of breaking the whole game will cost money and will benefit ONLY that kind of players.

I'm not disagreeing with that. That's why I said "Why not let the old companions be romanced when they RETURN in KOTFE?". I can get going back over old content wouldn't be effective.

I was just meaning saying "we don't need this because we need 'content'" is a flawed argument. Story and companions are just as much content as ops and pvp.

Just do what I do when you pick up a troll, which is what they are trying to do, badly might I add, is put them on ignore. Then you don't even need to see their posts ever. It's like they are talking to thin air or to themselves. Then everyone gets to see who they really are. People with no social graces.

But thanks for sticking up for me 😘

No prob, and thanks for the advice. Ignore lists never work for me though. Just a personal thing. If I see a post from someone on my ignore, I feel more compelled to read it than I would otherwise. I think the only way a forum ignore would work for me is if it hid the existence of the post entirely, such that I didn't even know it existed.

But even then, I'm too pedantic and ready to argue. I'd hate to miss the opportunity to debunk a poor argument. :p

Nope. Every point here about tweaking the 1-50 is either irrelevant or something that none of us can back up.

Resources/money: Of course, every feature idea requires this. The request in question is not unique in this way. Therefore, it's unreasonable to say that it's suddenly relevant, when it applies to literally every feature request ever. The only exception to this general rule I can think of would be if somebody requested a feature that is so obviously, impossibly large that there is no way the devs would ever be able to do it (example: "fifty new planets should be added next month"). Then you have a reasonable argument for allocation of money/resources.

Risk of breaking parts of the game: Same concept as above. Applies to every change made to the game. For it to be a legitimate concern in this particular case, you would need to have full access to the code base and be able to assess the risks associated with editing that particular part of the game. Which is something none of us have, so it's not an argument any of us can make in a credible manner.

Benefiting "only that kind of player": Every single feature request ever only applies to a subset of players. Once again, we lack the required information to make a credible argument. We don't have the market research needed to tell whether the subset of players who would want this is significant compared to other features on the long list they're working with. And even if we did have that kind of information, it would still be a poor argument, since we aren't the decision-makers for the game and market desires/demographic can change.

Risk of breaking parts of the game: Same concept as above. Applies to every change made to the game. For it to be a legitimate concern in this particular case, you would need to have full access to the code base and be able to assess the risks associated with editing that particular part of the game. Which is something none of us have, so it's not an argument any of us can make in a credible manner.

Here you go - http://www.swtor.com/community/search.php?searchid=566139. There are probably more. The most recent was the inquisitor romancing ashara couldn't finish her story and therefore cannot start kotfe( because they'll miss the ashara story for good).

I think devs stated somewhere that they do not intend to add anything to the original 1-50 story( this was something about the numerous threads about possible new class) but i'm too lazy to search for the exact source and i might be wrong. About the possible changes appealing to a a low amount of people i think this is quite obvious. This is 5 year old content. How many people would even consider replaying this just for the chance to see a couple of different videos? Especially after this LvD event.

Resources/money: Of course, every feature idea requires this. The request in question is not unique in this way. Therefore, it's unreasonable to say that it's suddenly relevant, when it applies to literally every feature request ever. The only exception to this general rule I can think of would be if somebody requested a feature that is so obviously, impossibly large that there is no way the devs would ever be able to do it (example: "fifty new planets should be added next month"). Then you have a reasonable argument for allocation of money/resources.

The real question is not how much it will cost - it is what's the ROI?

Here you go - http://www.swtor.com/community/search.php?searchid=566139. There are probably more. The most recent was the inquisitor romancing ashara couldn't finish her story and therefore cannot start kotfe( because they'll miss the ashara story for good).

I think devs stated somewhere that they do not intend to add anything to the original 1-50 story( this was something about the numerous threads about possible new class) but i'm too lazy to search for the exact source and i might be wrong. About the possible changes appealing to a a low amount of people i think this is quite obvious. This is 5 year old content. How many people would even consider replaying this just for the chance to see a couple of different videos? Especially after this LvD event.

The real question is not how much it will cost - it is what's the ROI?

Yes, but the point is, this is all stuff only they can accurately analyze. We can speculate until our hearts give out, but it's ultimately a big unknown. I find it odd that you're considering it a real argument for this feature in particular, but there are plenty of feature request threads that don't get touched with this kind of argument. Is it just normal for you to do this kind of assessment for each feature that you see requested? Forgive me if I'm misjudging you on this. Just strikes me as odd.

Also, a search for bug reports does not a cogent argument make. Many aspects of the game still have bugs. It's the nature of imperfect coding architecture.

The closest thing to a real argument is the statement about not touching the 1-50 again, but A) needs a link and B) nothing is ever 100% certain in game development.

That said, I have no expectation that they would do it for 1-50. It seems very unlikely to me. But then, so do most feature requests. We still ask though, so they know we're thinking about it.

Kalio's also ready to swing both ways. :)

I would completely agree with you... Until Anarchy in Paradise where we get her sexuality confirmed. I can't remember the exact line, but when you get back to base and talk to her in the cantina, you get a flirt option regardless of gender. Her answer to female characters is slightly different from males tho. If you're a female it's something along these lines; "You show me your secrets, i show you mine. Could be fun, but that's all i'm good for with women."

But i agree with you in all other aspects of this thread. I'm a gay woman and I also find it frustrating to only have one romance option (Lana) that i can really relate to. At least we have two males in KOTFE. There's one flirting choice with Senya, but beside that we only have Lana (don't get me wrong, i love her, but it gets dull the 8th time you romance her)

Oh yes please , I love Lana but I would love to romance someone else from tha Paaaaaast :D

as to what does it add ? Replayability..peoples keep making new charachters , that just add more spice to a game that many claim is becoming boring due to lack to X and Y..

and for those who claim who benefit from this , everyone who has an open mind .

for those who claim it cost money......unless you work for BW.......be quiet . You don't know....only they know .