Please explain Artifice

Strior

Hello everyone!

I'm fairly new to the crafting portion of SWTOR.

Despite all the guides out there explaining Artifice, I have yet to find anything answering a question I have.

1. I'm following this guide (as an example of my issue):

http://almarsguides.com/swtor/professions/raising/artifice.cfm

2. I'm Artifice Lv.140. The guide says I should make ~20 Might or Resolve Hilt 8s

3. I've visited the Crafting Trainer and cannot find ANY "Might" or "Resolve" Hilt schematics. My entire Crafting page lists only "Resistive" and "Versitile" Hilts.

4. My character also appears to only have access to odd-numbered crafting items. I have the ability to craft "Resistive HIlt 3", "Resistive Hilt 5", "Resistive Hilt 7" and "Resistive Hilt 9". What happened to Resolve Hilt 8 for example?

Where the heck do I find the other varieties of craftable items? Perhaps they are just named different for each Character Role, but I haven't received confirmation on this, so I'm left confused. Also an answer to the odd-numbered question would be appreciated too.

-Strior

Hello everyone!

Despite all the guides out there explaining Artifice, I have yet to find anything answering a question I have.

2. I'm Artifice Lv.140. The guide says I should make ~20 Might or Resolve Hilt 8s

3. I've visited the Crafting Trainer and cannot find ANY "Might" or "Resolve" Hilt schematics. My entire Crafting page lists only "Resistive" and "Versitile" Hilts.

4. My character also appears to only have access to odd-numbered crafting items. I have the ability to craft "Resistive HIlt 3", "Resistive Hilt 5", "Resistive Hilt 7" and "Resistive Hilt 9". What happened to Resolve Hilt 8 for example?

Where the heck do I find the other varieties of craftable items? Perhaps they are just named different for each Character Role, but I haven't received confirmation on this, so I'm left confused. Also an answer to the odd-numbered question would be appreciated too.

-Strior

That guide is shall we say, slightly out of date now, those hilts were what you could craft back when each class had specific attributes such as strength, aim, cunning, willpower etc

That guide is, as said, rather out of date. All one needs to do under the current crafting system to level any crafting skill is to craft the highest level of bonded attachment, reverse engineer those, then either craft more or move on to the next level of bonded attachment and repeat. So, for artifice you'll start with Rubat Artifice Bonded Attachments, then move to Nextor Artifice Bonded Attachments wihen Rubat shows as green (low crafting xp) or gray (no crafting xp).

Hello everyone!

-Strior

In order to level up a crafting skill nowadays you only need to craft "components". For artifice that means "bonded attachments". Anything else to simply level up the skill is a waste of resources. That said there are plenty of useful and desirable schematics - specifically color crystals and dye modules - at the various "grades".

So at the skill level you are at - 140 - you should be crafting Nextor Artifice Bonded Attachments. When you hit skill 160 you can move on Opila Artifice Bonded Attachments, then Firkrann Artifice Bonded Attachments...etc. Bonded Attachment schematics are available at the trainer.

The guide you are using is old. Prior to 4.0 each class utilized its own "main stat":

Jedi Knight/Sith Warrior = Strength or "Might"

Jedi Cosnular/Sith Inquisitor = Willpower or "Resolve"

Smuggler/Agent = Cunning

Trooper/Bounty Hunter = Agility

Each crafting skill that crafted equipment or item modifications had schematics for each of those stats.

With 4.0 they removed those class specific stats for a single stat "Mastery". Furthermore they replaced all the old schematics with new. Instead of Might Hilts (which were only usable by JK/SW DPS variants) and Resolve Hilts (which were only usable by JC/SI dps/heals variants) AND two tank hilts (one for JK/SW and one for JC/SI) you now have a Versatile Hilt that is usable by ALL lightsaber using dps and heals and a Resistive Hilt usable by ALL lightsaber using tanks.

With 4.0 they removed those class specific stats for a single stat "Mastery". Furthermore they replaced all the old schematics with new. Instead of Might Hilts (which were only usable by JK/SW DPS variants) and Resolve Hilts (which were only usable by JC/SI dps/heals variants) AND two tank hilts (one for JK/SW and one for JC/SI) you now have a Versatile Hilt that is usable by ALL lightsaber using dps and heals and a Resistive Hilt usable by ALL lightsaber using tanks.

Fussy point to add to the above:

Prior to the mainstat merge, you could *equip* a "wrong" mainstat (Strength on a JC, for example, or Cunning on an Aim-using Trooper(1)), but you didn't get any benefit from it.

(1) That still doesn't explain the multitude of "Cunning" mainstat Assault Cannons that I used to find. Only Commandos could use them because they are Assault Cannons, but they had a Smuggler mainstat.

Fussy point to add to the above:

Prior to the mainstat merge, you could *equip* a "wrong" mainstat (Strength on a JC, for example, or Cunning on an Aim-using Trooper(1)), but you didn't get any benefit from it.

(1) That still doesn't explain the multitude of "Cunning" mainstat Assault Cannons that I used to find. Only Commandos could use them because they are Assault Cannons, but they had a Smuggler mainstat.

We also saw "Cunning" items with tank stats - defense, shield, absorb - and smugglers/agents could not and cannot be tanks.