Bioware Austin are preparing to work on different MMO, what does this mean for SWTOR?

Swordy

They have a job application up on this site, for a Lead Server Engineer for a completely new MMO based on a new IP

https://career4.successfactors.com/career?career_ns=job_listing&company=EA&navBarLevel=JOB_SEARCH&rcm_site_locale=en_US&career_job_req_id=77183&selected_lang=en_US&jobAlertController_jobAlertId=&jobAlertController_jobAlertName=&_s.crb=KanvmjKq4ThbGd8wV2rIAwGlSE4%3d

One of the major questions that this game has had to endure is what amount of resources are being put into it by BW Austin. You can argue how long it can take to make a new MMO (5 years isn't a poor estimate), but this does mean that at some point over that period their complete focus will shift away from SWTOR even more than it has already done so.

We should also think about why BW Austin would develop a new MMO when they already have a MMO based on an established IP, and whether these will be ran in competition with each other (clue: they won't).

Many have predicted that SWTOR is currently winding down and this is the reason for the lack of multiplayer content, and I think this is probably the first concrete evidence of this from a corporate level.

They of course won't tell us that the game is finishing soon because they'd lost 90% of subs overnight and why bother when they can collect that sub money for as long as possible? Alternatively, with the player base in the way that it is, it does prompt the question of whether they're purposely stifling this game in order to better focus on their next game.

There was a rumour way back when this game first released that said the game was "a five year cycle" then they would reassess the marketplace. That would call the end of the game potentially as December 2016 or so, and if you think of how their story progression/release pattern is going then it makes sense for that to be the last hurrah then put it on maintenance mode afterwards.

Edited by Swordy

I wouldn't worry too much.

It's well known that BioWare Canada (can't remember whether Edmonton or Montreal) have been working on a new single player RPG with, if Inquisition and ME3 are anything to go by, a co-op on-line component.

The job posting mentions BioWare/EA make MMOs but does not specify that the posting is for an MMO. An on-line system yes, but it's highly likely it is for the as yet un-named new IP.

What the hell are you talking about? Just because they have a job opening, does not mean they are working on a new MMO. Unless you can give some proof, I'd say that everything posted here is an opinion and conspiracy theory mixed with some doom and gloom

How's this for proof?

BioWare is seeking a qualified Senior Lead Server Engineer for a new, unannounced BioWare IP.

You entire post is opinionated with speculation and no hard facts. I mean really, "Many have predicted," "they'd lost 90% of sub," "There was a rumour way." That job post could be anything. Besides, the mmorpg market is super saturated. OP can post all he or she wants, but so long as quarterly reports are satisfactory, swtor will continue to operate like WoW has for many years. The only players that left were the hardcore raiders and usual players that come and go.

I wouldn't worry too much.

It's well known that BioWare Canada (can't remember whether Edmonton or Montreal) have been working on a new single player RPG with, if Inquisition and ME3 are anything to go by, a co-op on-line component.

The job posting mentions BioWare/EA make MMOs but does not specify that the posting is for an MMO. An on-line system yes, but it's highly likely it is for the as yet un-named new IP.

It's asking for experience with MMOs, large scale/multi-tier client server technologies and cloud computing based scaling architecture for a new game.

The simplest explanation is that it's an MMO.

How's this for proof?

It could be a console mmorpg or children mmorpg. How can you make a conclusion that this unannounanced mmorpg will be swtor's replacement. There is a possibility that this is case, but you seem to forget that mmorpgs take many years to develop. Wilstar was in 8 years and swtor was in at least 5 years in development. The market could have changed and the mmorpg cancelled like Titan. It could be a first personal shooter mmorpg. The only fact about that job post is that EA is working on a new mmorpg. It's very likely this will be an mmorpg that won't compete with swtor. Until we know exactly what EA is work on, your entirely post is speculative with no hard evidence that this mmropg will affect swtor in anyway.

It's an official job posting stating it is for a new game. It isn't a claim.

It is a claim because, how can you make a conclusion that it has anything at all to do with SWTOR. Bioware and by extension EA, are a huge company so it stands to reason that would work on multiple projects at once. It could be a posting for anything really.

Edited by theUndead

It could be a console mmorpg or children mmorpg. How can you make a conclusion that this unannounanced mmorpg will be swtor's replacement. There is a possibility that this is case, but you seem to forget that mmorpgs take many years to develop. Wilstar was in 8 years and swtor was in at least 5 years in development. The market could have changed and the mmorpg cancelled like Titan. It could be a first personal shooter mmorpg. The only fact about that job post is that EA is working on a new mmorpg. It's very likely this will be an mmorpg that won't compete with swtor. Until we know exactly what EA is work on, your entirely post is speculative with no hard evidence that this mmropg will affect swtor in anyway.

It's a game developed by the exact studio that develops this game. If this was BW Edmonton it wouldn't matter, the point is that this will absolutely definitely take away resources from SWTOR. BW Austin doesn't have 500 engineers in it, it's a relatively small studio.

The point of the post was to ask how developing a huge new game by the studio specifically setup to develop and maintain SWTOR, will affect SWTOR and it's already criticised content release schedule, then guessed at a few stories pointing to the game moving onto "maintenance mode".

I can see people here have their heads buried in the "nuh-uh" sand so I'll just leave it there thanks and discuss this elsewhere

It's a game developed by the exact studio that develops this game. If this was BW Edmonton it wouldn't matter, the point is that this will absolutely definitely take away resources from SWTOR. BW Austin doesn't have 500 engineers in it, it's a relatively small studio.

The point of the post was to ask how developing a huge new game by the studio specifically setup to develop and maintain SWTOR, will affect SWTOR and it's already criticised content release schedule, then guessed at a few stories pointing to the game moving onto "maintenance mode".

I can see people here have their heads buried in the "nuh-uh" sand so I'll just leave it there thanks and discuss this elsewhere

No you were shown that a simple job posting has no real correlation to the health of this game. More importantly, you provide unsubstantiated opinions on when the game will enter a so called "maintenence mode" and when shown that these are in fact untrue, you end the discussion.

It seems you now are making statements about finances, team distribution, and management of resources at BW. If you don't like the direction of the game, you can leave. Your last statement is insulting to everyone who doesn't agree with your opinion. This thread has been inflammatory. Ultimately, BW chosen direction will be considered a success or failure when the next quarterly report comes out and not by what the player base that post on the official forum think.

Edited by Knockerz

op is right, do not be fan boy and open your eyes..even story arc will end the emperor one way or another and basically end of war and swtor unless new emperor arise which is very unlikely due to weakness of remaining darths and old empire in general and THE STORY CONTINUES THE JEDI NIGHT STORY WHICH MEANS END OF EMPIRE AND EMPEROR. the story arc moving towards the end and it is obvious to people with half brain.

about new game i think it is DRAGON AGE ONLINE, bioware wanted to make it and there were rumors about it few years ago, then DA:I came and i was like everything about this game is perfect for mmo that is why i think a DA mmo will come.

Edited by bahramnima

No you were shown that a simple job posting has no real correlation to the health of this game. More importantly, you provide unsubstantiated opinions on when the game will enter a so called "maintenence mode" and when shown that these are in fact untrue, you end the discussion.

There are plenty of other examples to substantiate his claim, if you bothered to pay attention. Did you know that Bioware CSRs are no longer providing item restoration services? One of the most important services that an MMO can provide, and they are no longer offering it. When a company starts removing key services to support their product, that to me speaks volumes of their intentions for it. I'm not saying he's spot on accurate with his prediction, but I do believe there's plenty of other evidence to support it.

The tinfoil hat brigade strikes again :rolleyes:

I love your 100% incontrovertible HARD PROOF!

I actually hope they are making a new MMO. I like this one so hopefully they'll make an even better one with better graphics and fast-action gameplay and of course BW's amazing story-telling.

Can't play SWTOR forever.

Nothing on there says it is for a new MMO. It says "BioWare is seeking a qualified Senior Lead Server Engineer for a new, unannounced BioWare IP. This role will direct a team of software engineers to create the backend systems that will drive online play for this exciting new game." That does not mean it is an MMO. Just about EVERY Game released now has an online portion. DA:I has online play too. If it was for an MMO it'd say it is for an MMO. I predict it is an Arena type game.

op is right, do not be fan boy and open your eyes..even story arc will end the emperor one way or another and basically end of war and swtor unless new emperor arise which is very unlikely due to weakness of remaining darths and old empire in general and THE STORY CONTINUES THE JEDI NIGHT STORY WHICH MEANS END OF EMPIRE AND EMPEROR. the story arc moving towards the end and it is obvious to people with half brain.

about new game i think it is DRAGON AGE ONLINE, bioware wanted to make it and there were rumors about it few years ago, then DA:I came and i was like everything about this game is perfect for mmo that is why i think a DA mmo will come.

I'd probably abandon SWTOR for a Dragon Age MMO.

There are plenty of other examples to substantiate his claim, if you bothered to pay attention. Did you know that Bioware CSRs are no longer providing item restoration services? One of the most important services that an MMO can provide, and they are no longer offering it. When a company starts removing key services to support their product, that to me speaks volumes of their intentions for it. I'm not saying he's spot on accurate with his prediction, but I do believe there's plenty of other evidence to support it.

Until the OP shows these so called other ways to back his claims, I feel completely justified in rejecting it. If you believe him to be right, that's fine. But again if you make a claim, the burden of proof is on you to when challenged.

Edited by theUndead