Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Ability ranks?

skarvika
01.30.2016 , 03:23 AM | #1
I'm not necessarily new, but I have a bit of a noob question.
I noticed on my skills, there's ranks (e.g. Ravage, Rank 58)...now I'm assuming if Ravage is rank 58 now, it would deal a bit more damage at rank 65 correct? I've surprisingly never noticed there's ranks to abilities before; how do I level them? Thanks!
Click my referral link for free in game items!
Vorantís | Lvl 65 | Juggernaut | Begeren Colony
Quote: Originally Posted by Ruhun View Post
Premades are bad.
Nerf Sorcs.

travellerforfun
01.30.2016 , 03:51 AM | #2
it happens automatically....all gained skills will gain 1 rank every time you level up.

skarvika
01.30.2016 , 04:29 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by travellerforfun View Post
it happens automatically....all gained skills will gain 1 rank every time you level up.
That's what I was worried about...I'm 65 on the character whose abilities I want to level. Any other way?
Premades are bad.
Nerf Sorcs.

Solloby
01.30.2016 , 05:41 AM | #4
If you are concerned that any of your abilities may need upgrading, go visit a class trainer. As long as you have bought every ability/ability upgrade they have available, then you will have everything you need.
The Shadowlands

skarvika
01.30.2016 , 06:10 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Solloby View Post
If you are concerned that any of your abilities may need upgrading, go visit a class trainer. As long as you have bought every ability/ability upgrade they have available, then you will have everything you need.
Nothing appears on the trainer's list. This is really bugging me, feels like I'm not getting the most out of my abilities but I'm not exactly sure what I can do about it.
Premades are bad.
Nerf Sorcs.

Beemerchick
01.30.2016 , 07:30 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by travellerforfun View Post
Er... No. Skills level up at pre-determined levels. There are some levels where no skills levels and no new skills are gained. At these levels, you won't have anything to train at the class trainer.

So it's fine if, at LVL 65, you have a skill that is only LVL 58. That would be the max level for that skills (until, for example, BW raises the level cap to 70 and increases the max level of the skill in question to 59.)

Adric_the_Red
01.30.2016 , 02:57 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by skarvika View Post
Nothing appears on the trainer's list. This is really bugging me, feels like I'm not getting the most out of my abilities but I'm not exactly sure what I can do about it.
As others have said, you only have to go to the trainers when they have a new skill for you. If you just get another "rank" in a skill you already have, that happens automatically, without you having to visit the trainer.

When you have a new skill to train, the trainer icon (looks like a ^ on your map) will have a green + under it. Also, the "Abilities" icon on the menu bar at the top of your screen will turn gold and have a sort of pulsating glow.

While you're at the trainer, you can change the display from the default "Show Trainable" to "Show New" or "Show All". And then you can see what new skills you can learn and when, and when you will get another "rank" in the skills you already have. Also, once you have chosen your Advanced Class, you will have two lists to look through at the trainer, one for your Base class and one for your AC, so make sure you check both lists when you do have new skills to learn.
"Your deaths are useless if they do not inform". -- The Shroud
My referral link. Click for free stuff.

ShawDou
02.01.2016 , 01:34 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by skarvika View Post
I'm not necessarily new, but I have a bit of a noob question.
I noticed on my skills, there's ranks (e.g. Ravage, Rank 58)...now I'm assuming if Ravage is rank 58 now, it would deal a bit more damage at rank 65 correct? I've surprisingly never noticed there's ranks to abilities before; how do I level them? Thanks!
All abilities max level can be at most: Your max level - level when you get ability. So if you got Ravage on lvl 8 then when you are level 65 it max level can be 58 because you leveled that ability 57x.
If you like my posts click my referral link for free 7 sub days and more.
(whether you're a new or returning member, you'll get all sorts of goodies)

Scroned
12.15.2019 , 02:43 AM | #9
What happens if you have unlearned a combat proficiency and some skills are back at level one, is it possible to get those skills to maximum given you have a limited amount of levels to gain now that you are a higher level.

SteveTheCynic
12.15.2019 , 11:28 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Scroned View Post
What happens if you have unlearned a combat proficiency and some skills are back at level one, is it possible to get those skills to maximum given you have a limited amount of levels to gain now that you are a higher level.
The statement above that you gain a rank each time you gain a level is *wrong*. Abilities are rank 1 when you are at the level you gain them, and if you are X levels above that, the ability is X ranks above 1.

Example: Vaulting Slash is granted to Infiltration Shadows at level 10, rank 1. At level 70, therefore it is at rank 61 even if you were at level 70 when you respecced to Infiltration (and have therefore gained no levels since you respecced).

Case in point, my Shadow used Field Respec to respec from Kinetic Combat (tank) to Infiltration partway round [SOLO] Nathema Consipracy not long after it came out (and therefore she was at level 70). Her abilities as Infiltration are *not* at rank1.

EDIT: I don't know why you'd want to *stay* in a no-Discipline state, but once you pick a new Discipline, your abilities have the same rank they would have had if you had been in the new one ever since level 1.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
I never had a Fine Mithril Sword of a very powerful glorious invincible hero scout with ruby inlays and platinum engraving in June language