Should I put armor on my companions?

MajorBull

I don't post very often, so I wasn't sure exactly where to put this question.

With one of the patches (don't remember which), I read that adding mods, enhancements, etc to my companions will not improve their stats. Does the same apply to armor? Does that mean my companions can fight naked and it won't affect the fight?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Armour on companions is purely cosmetic nowadays. - So it shouldn't matter if its a piece of green gear dropped from a mob, an orange shell or something you bught off the GTN, it only affects their appearance.

- Tho' there are certain companions, Lana, Theron etc, which have fixed 'appearances' so you can't change their look at all, only their weapons and colour crystals in them- though they revert to their default in cutscenes.

If you want them to perform better, then you have to do things like missions that improve their affection ( now called 'influence') , or buy them gifts. if you search SWTOR companion gift guide - and maybe add the name of your companion, there are several online guides which show how much influence certain gift types gain for the companion in question.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Storm-Cutter

Cosmetic, no stats.

You can go naked, but you do need to equip a weapon, otherwise some of their abilities won't work.

And in previous reply, just note "affection" was replaced with "Influence" in 4.0. Influence does have a big impact on their performance as noted.

Another quick question: Since armor is cosmetic now, how about the stats on the weapon with which I equip my companion. The barrel/hilt, mods, enhancements and crystals on that weapon will change the stats of the weapon, right? That still will not change the stats of the companion but it should make the companion a better fighter.

Any comments will be appreciated.

Another quick question: Since armor is cosmetic now, how about the stats on the weapon with which I equip my companion. The barrel/hilt, mods, enhancements and crystals on that weapon will change the stats of the weapon, right? That still will not change the stats of the companion but it should make the companion a better fighter.

Any comments will be appreciated.

Stats don't matter on any pieces of gear you give to a companion, including weapons. Some companion abilities require certain weapon types to be equipped in order to use the ability but the stats themselves on the weapons don't do anything, just like armor. Everything is cosmetic at this point (for companions).

Edited by Anduhar

• 3 years later...

So What I gathered from this was that armor and weapons don't effect the overall performance or companions.

That being said it kinda Sucks but there is also a positive side to this. You have an extra slot to store those items you want but don't need at the moment. It's positive but I will admit it's not a very big positive.

So What I gathered from this was that armor and weapons don't effect the overall performance or companions.

That being said it kinda Sucks but there is also a positive side to this. You have an extra slot to store those items you want but don't need at the moment. It's positive but I will admit it's not a very big positive.

No, it doesn't suck at all. It was a constant drain having to keep an extra nine pieces of gear *per*companion* up to date as you levelled up, especially for the poor suckers who didn't want to play Trooper.

See, back then, there wasn't this unified mainstat "Mastery", but a different one per class (Aim, Cunning, Strength, Willpower). Companions had their own mainstat from that list, and Troopers had the advantage that all their companions used "Aim" gear, just like the Trooper, so you could, in a pinch, play "hand-me-down" with gear.

Of course, to make up for it, they also had "The Gauntlet", a chapter-end mission where at different times you were working with different companions, and therefore you had to gear up more than one of them.

- Tho' there are certain companions, Lana, Theron etc, which have fixed 'appearances' so you can't change their look at all, only their weapons and colour crystals in them- though they revert to their default in cutscenes.

Not entirely true, although I'm only going to reference Lana. There is a customization that forces a certain body type and armor for her, but if you remove it, you can put anything you like on her in terms of armor. As for the cutscene default, that's true in a couple places and for her lightsaber and blade color, however it will show whatever you dressed her in in most scenes.

A companion does need to have a weapon equipped to use some skills. Otherwise they run in and try to use their fists. 🙂

A companion can also wear the armor that you've put into a 'outfit' slot on yourself.

A companion does need to have a weapon equipped to use some skills. Otherwise they run in and try to use their fists. 🙂

A companion can also wear the armor that you've put into a 'outfit' slot on yourself.

It is funny to watch 2V and C2 run in like rock'em sock'em droids.