Quest Rewards: Companion Weapons

sakshale

I get quest rewards where I need to select a new weapon for a companion.

Given that the companion character screen clearly caries a disclaimer stating that "Companions do not get any stat bonuses from equipment", why would I need an adaptive weapon for one?

Sakshale

[recently returned founder]

Given that the companion character screen clearly caries a disclaimer stating that "Companions do not get any stat bonuses from equipment", why would I need an adaptive weapon for one?

If you mean the "Devoted Allies" weapons, well, three things:

* They aren't "companion-only".

* They aren't adaptive. They aren't even moddable.

* NO weapons are adaptive.

"Adaptive" means, "armour that adapts its weight to the maximum that the wearer can wear," so of course weapons can't be adaptive. They aren't armour. There's a common misconception that "adaptive" means "moddable", but that's a misconception. It ALWAYS meant "armour that adapts its weight to the heaviest that the wearer can wear". At one time, all adaptive armour was ALSO moddable, but there remained moddable armour that was fixed-weight. Since 4.0 came out, we have all four combinations still available in-game:

* Fixed-weight, fixed-stats (common levelling-planet drops)

* Fixed-weight, moddable (rare drops)

* Adaptive, fixed-stats (all "trainer-schematic" crafted armour, for example)

* Adaptive, moddable (Cartel Market gear, "Adaptive Equipment Vendor" gear, etc.)

Thank you very much for that clarification.

The way I interpreted your post was: Look at them for something my current character or a member of my legacy can use -- ignoring the companion aspect unless there is a cosmetic reason for them to use it.

Sakshale

[recently returned founder]

also they are just old quest rewards when gear for comps actually mattered. they just didn't bother to remove them

Thank you very much for that clarification.

The way I interpreted your post was: Look at them for something my current character or a member of my legacy can use -- ignoring the companion aspect unless there is a cosmetic reason for them to use it.

Pretty much exactly that. All gear for companions is strictly cosmetic, with one caveat: the companion must have a weapon equipped (and dual-wielders must have an off-hand as well as a main-hand) in order for their abilities to work correctly.

Pretty much exactly that. All gear for companions is strictly cosmetic, with one caveat: the companion must have a weapon equipped (and dual-wielders must have an off-hand as well as a main-hand) in order for their abilities to work correctly.

I assumed the first part, but would never have guessed the second one.

Thanks again!!!