[HOWTO - RAMDRIVE] Increasing SWTOR System Performance

Lemon_King

Current bugs in Ramdisk Program v2.0

• Error at dismounting when setup is done with a non-capital letter as diskletter
  • Dismounting with UAC active, will not remove the disk from list, but will free the memory and thus disk will be become unavailable. This won't be a problem until an user tries to remount the drive again, which will then be skipped.

Edited by Ocmer_

• Replies 877
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've installed the ramdisk and everything works great with about 20+ FPS, however every time i remount/setup i lose my gamesettings like, am i doing something wrong? its like it creates a new client_settings.ini

I've installed the ramdisk and everything works great with about 20+ FPS, however every time i remount/setup i lose my gamesettings like, am i doing something wrong? its like it creates a new client_settings.ini

Are you using the ramdisk 2.0 program or the batchscript?

Ocmer, might be time to start a new thread just for the program.

For some reason (depending on what you used; manual, batch or program) the linkback to the settings folder is not been created. If this is not done, the game looks at the ramdisk and sees there is no settings folder and recreates it. Next reboot the ramdisk is wiped thus loss of settings.

Be sure to run cmd and batch as administrator, the program should force you to.

Are you using the ramdisk 2.0 program or the batchscript?

Ocmer, might be time to start a new thread just for the program.

Yea I know but still then I'll add the manual and batch way. But will be a minior subset.

Me and exca are still working and improving and I think i renumber my releases aswell. I know it's bad to do but it just doesn't fit that there is already a version 2, which was only a minor update. The plans we currently have is major ;p

I'll fix the non-capital ramdiskletter bug you found (actually it is already fixed) and release that on a new thread, but I need some time to recreate a good thread, and I was kinda bit busy this week, only raided once aswell :<

Edited by Ocmer_

For some reason (depending on what you used; manual, batch or program) the linkback to the settings folder is not been created. If this is not done, the game looks at the ramdisk and sees there is no settings folder and recreates it. Next reboot the ramdisk is wiped thus loss of settings.

Be sure to run cmd and batch as administrator, the program should force you to.

My Local app data path is C:\users\myname\Appdata\Local\SWTOR_original\SWTOR

however it keeps saying missing shortcut, so its is indeed not linking to anywhere. should the app data path lead to the folder before the settingsmap?

Edited by Jannesss

My Local app data path is C:\users\myname\Appdata\Local\SWTOR_original\SWTOR

however it keeps saying missing shortcut, so its is indeed not linking to anywhere. should the app data path lead to the folder before the settingsmap?

Would be easier if you said what you used; manual, batch or program.

But for the batch and program give the location of the local folder thus

C:\users\myname\Appdata\Local

They should find it automatically, you don't have to give the path unless the script/program returns an error.

The batch and program use this as starting point and will complete the path inside the program to do the required job. This is needed as there are multiple actions that are required to use the local folder, be it the SWTOR or SWTOR_Original folder.

Well future updates on the ramdisk program I won't let people allow to change local path, as it is always present, and on whatever disk you install, there is always use of the local and they are always present to be read out by registery.

Im using the program sorry, ive moved the programsettings.xml to another map in order to set it to default again, when im trying to setup iget the error below:

See the end of this message for details on invoking

just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************

System.IO.IOException: The directory is not empty.

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)

at System.IO.Directory.DeleteHelper(String fullPath, String userPath, Boolean recursive)

at System.IO.Directory.Delete(String fullPath, String userPath, Boolean recursive)

at SwtorRamdisk.FormMain.TryDeleteDirectory(String directoryPath)

at SwtorRamdisk.FormMain.btnSetup_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************

mscorlib

Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.239 (RTMGDR.030319-2300)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll

----------------------------------------

SwtorRamdisk

Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 2.0.0.0

CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Jannes/Desktop/SwtorRamdisk.exe

System.Windows.Forms

Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.235 built by: RTMGDR

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll

System.Drawing

Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1 built by: RTMRel

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll

System

Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.258 built by: RTMGDR

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll

System.Xml

Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1 built by: RTMRel

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

System.Configuration

Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1 (RTMRel.030319-0100)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll

rpighf5m

Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.258 built by: RTMGDR

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************

To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this

application or computer (machine.config) must have the

jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.

The application must also be compiled with debugging

enabled.

For example:

<configuration>

<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />

</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception

will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer

rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Im using the program sorry, ive moved the programsettings.xml to another map in order to set it to default again, when im trying to setup iget the error below:

Ai ai, better place programsettings.xml back and first remove the setup and then try moving the programsettings.xml out of the folder. Like I warned do not move/delete/modify the settings file as the program needs it to know what he did to your swtor files.

Anyway manual solution to recover it would be.

• Check local app folder for SWTOR with an arrow (link) delete it.
  • Check local app folder for SWTOR_Original rename it back to SWTOR
    • There folderstucture should be like this again; local\SWTOR\swtor\settings\*.*

[*]Go to the installpath of the game check \swtor\DiskCacheArena has an arrow, delete it.

[*]Go to the installpath of the game check \Assets\ and delete any asset files with an arrow and rename those who have _ORIG on the end back to without.

I hope this will resolve the situation, as I actually did not expect someone to select the SWTOR folder inside local, as it states "local application data path". But this forces me to remove the manual selection of the local path ;)

edit; I'm gone for the evening here, will be back later but can help further after about 3-5 hours.

Edited by Ocmer_

Okay it been good in this thread but I have decided to recreate my own thread to have the power to change this thread. Also I created imo a better overview on what methods we have. This is still a work in progress atm as I have to add content and sort out things out. Feedback is welcome but do that in the new thread, as this one is now suposed to die.

NEW THREAD HERE

Also on that thread I have released my newest version of the c# ramdisk program.

As I know it will confuse people the newest version is 1.3.0.

I have done this as I was not really happy with he release numbering myself.

Quick overview of 1.3.0 (read rest in the new thread/post)

Button to launch the game, will mount if needed. (removed autoclose and autolaunch options).

Removed the 2nd program as it was a fluke and not fit with the future plans we have with the program.

Fixed a bug when someone did the setup with a non capital ramdisk letter, this occured during dismounting.

Edited by Ocmer_

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 years later...

High end computer user here, with SSD and everything.

The suggestion in this thread helped greatly to address the frequent lag and stutter i was experiencing during many things - during combat when abundant effects were popping up one after another, loading lag when new characters appear in the distance on the ground or at the fleet etc.

I set the ramdrive size to 4gb. And even after an hour of playing around it was already 2gb filled.

The thing is that ramdrive's contents (disk cache as well) goes away when you turn the computer off. I will copy/paste diskcachedata file from now on in order to not have the game reload it all over again next time.

High end computer user here, with SSD and everything.

The suggestion in this thread helped greatly to address the frequent lag and stutter i was experiencing during many things - during combat when abundant effects were popping up one after another, loading lag when new characters appear in the distance on the ground or at the fleet etc.

I set the ramdrive size to 4gb. And even after an hour of playing around it was already 2gb filled.

The thing is that ramdrive's contents (disk cache as well) goes away when you turn the computer off. I will copy/paste diskcachedata file from now on in order to not have the game reload it all over again next time.

I used to use a RAMdrive for the diskcachearena file, but haven't had any benefit since I got an SSD. I haven't tried it with my latest build, which has DDR4 RAM. What kind of RAM do you have?

Also, do you have WIndows 10 and SWTOR installed on your SSD. If you installed your Win10 OS on a mechanical HD, you lose many of the speed benefits.

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

This Ramdrive stuff, and also the "run SWTOR in Linux" stuff, is fine for those players who are tech savvy and have the time and resources, but for you non-techies out there:

Put both Windows 10 and SWTOR on SSDs. That can be just one large-ish SSD (250-500 gigs) or 2 separate SSDs. For example, in my case I have Windows on a 128gig PCIe SSD and SWTOR on a standard 500gig SATA SSD (2.5").

Provided that you have a decent CPU, this should work fine for most people.

Edited by JediQuaker

I used to use a RAMdrive for the diskcachearena file, but haven't had any benefit since I got an SSD. I haven't tried it with my latest build, which has DDR4 RAM. What kind of RAM do you have?

Also, do you have WIndows 10 and SWTOR installed on your SSD. If you installed your Win10 OS on a mechanical HD, you lose many of the speed benefits.

16 GB DDR3 on Win 7 64 bit on with Swtor on Kingston HyperX SSD entirely. OS is on another SSD drive.

I still get stutter and occasional slow-motion like skipping frames. But its much, much better now and playable even in combat cases where there are dozens of toons fighting with many toons and objects are nearby.

Reaction 1: What is a RAMDrive?

It's a simulation of a hard disk, but using system RAM instead of actual disk hardware. That makes it faster than even SSDs are, which is the objective of this thread.

Reaction 2: This topic is from 2012? OK so no longer relevant.

You'd be shocked, I guess, at the potato-ish nature of the PCs some people still use to play this game. (I still have, as secondary machines, two old potatoes that I bought in 2011. They can play SWTOR on Medium-ish settings as long as I keep shadows off.)

Reaction 3: 6 GB of RAM?! Damn... I've got 16 in my computer but generally about 8 are in use at all times. You use 6 of it and that's... a lot even for 2019.

For sure, although some of that 8 will be the in-memory disk buffering, which shrinks automatically when physical memory is full of programs and their data.

• 1 month later...
16 GB DDR3 on Win 7 64 bit on with Swtor on Kingston HyperX SSD entirely. OS is on another SSD drive.

I still get stutter and occasional slow-motion like skipping frames. But its much, much better now and playable even in combat cases where there are dozens of toons fighting with many toons and objects are nearby.

What processor do you have?

Back in 2012 when SSDs were expense, a RAM drive might have been a good idea for some tech-savvy users, but nowadays, you can get a cheap SSD - even a 128Gig one, that's easy to install.

Putting your OS plus your most used games (SWTOR, etc) on an SSD will do much more for you. (But it's less hassle if you just add an SSD for games.)

Theoretically, a RAM drive should be faster than an SSD, but network access tends to negate that. That is, an SSD is about 10 times faster than a hard drive, but level loading times are only reduced by about half because of the needed network access during the process. A RAM drive might knock a bit more off of that, but not enough to be worthwhile

RAM drives are basically dead in the water these days.

Edited by JediQuaker

• 1 month later...

I have had problems in Win10 with using the program (SwtorUnleashed.xml) kept getting to reset the file list to 0 and settings interface doesn't work. If anyone has a solution, please help me out!

In any case, I've found that manually adding files, ramdrive size into the a.m. file helps out to get it working. Adding files should look like this:

<AssetFileNames>

<string>swtor_main_anim_humanoid_bmns_1</string>

<string>swtor_main_art_creature_a_1</string>

</AssetFileNames>

As the game doesn't fit in 100% on my ramdrive anymore I'm using ProcMon to monitor the game and select later the files which were most frequently read and were read for most data (they overlap occasionally).

Re. the speed it is good to substantiate the claims with proof so I've run simple benchmark for this post. For me it is worth the effort (considering how SWTOR used to benefit from this) as not only beats my Raid 0 SSDs but also doesn't exert my PC with cooking SSDs. Even if the SSD is good enough for someone there is no way to contradict the hard numbers which anyone can benchmark on their systems.

Ramdrive:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

CrystalDiskMark 5.1.1 x64 © 2007-2016 hiyohiyo

Crystal Dew World : http://crystalmark.info/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

* MB/s = 1,000,000 bytes/s [sATA/600 = 600,000,000 bytes/s]

* KB = 1000 bytes, KiB = 1024 bytes

Sequential Read (Q= 32,T= 1) : 5768.184 MB/s

Sequential Write (Q= 32,T= 1) : 9054.114 MB/s

Random Read 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) : 616.982 MB/s [150630.4 IOPS]

Random Write 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) : 464.809 MB/s [113478.8 IOPS]

Sequential Read (T= 1) : 4709.720 MB/s