New to on-line RP...

MORTTUUM

I've RP'd before, a bit, but only around a table with friends. Does RP in SWTOR mostly involve using Chat? Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, and I can't think how else it would be carried out. I play on a PvE server now, but would like to try an RP server as I tend to RP my toonsn in my head anyway, sooo...

Well, it depends what you mean by chat, actually.

Its a lot like playing with dolls, or enacting a story with your lego-figures if you like that comparison better.

Only instead of dolls(lego--figures) we use the avatars we play to represent the character we roleplay as. This often include playing dress-up to make our avatars look as much as possible as our characters would. The details we can do by "/emote also wear a bandolier across his chest." or similar.

The RP is usually done in the /say channel and the /emote channels, so we type out what our characters are saying, like you would otherwise in chat systems and /emote the actions your character take.

At the moment, crossfaction communication are limited to the /say channel so here you often have to do it like this:

Trols: Howdy folks, how are you all this fine evening. *the twi'lek is wearing a bandolier across his chest and a smiling is seen on his face, as he enter the cantina through the swing door.*

For out of character stuff, either use other channels such as /party /ops /general /whisper or if you need to get a message across to the people you are nearby use brackets: (( I totally didnt mean to make my character cast a spell there, that was ooc ))

If you are new to it, I would suggest you join up on a RP server near you - I am on Trask Ulgo (EU) myself - and seek out other roleplayers. Then just watch and try and figure out how they're doing it.

There are good and bad roleplayers, and not everyone is the best of examples, but you'll learn the basics fast I am sure. If you are from Europe, you can feel free to contact me on my character Siolo, and our guild often RP at the Mos Ila cantina on Imperial Tatooine.

If you are new to it, I would suggest you join up on a RP server near you - I am on Trask Ulgo (EU) myself - and seek out other roleplayers. Then just watch and try and figure out how they're doing it.

In the States, but I live/work graveyard, so I probably play most at EU peak times. Thank you, that's a lot more than I knew previously. I'll check out an RP server this week (probably Ulgo, just because). Thanks again !

Well RP in this game let's say...it isn't really BioWare's fault but eh, most of the people who join an RP server don't even RP most of the time. But I can say that a few servers have some real roleplayers. Good luck kid.

If you are used to real RP, abandon all hope now and save you the horror.

Kids today think playing a pre-made charcter through a pre-made storyline, with completely cosmetic "choices" IS roleplaying.

By the same token, kids in the 70's thought a roleplaying game was a pen and paper game where roleplaying was the only thing you could do because the mechanics of the game were unplayable. Kids in the 80's thought roleplaying games were micromanaging a 6 character party through hundreds of hours of turn-based combat on their computers. Kids in the 90's thought a roleplaying game was an anime cartoon/console game. Kids in the 00's thought an RPG was a solo shooter with an inventory and 'stats'.

So, in summary, trying to define a 'real' roleplayer is like trying to herd cats.

Edited by CosmicKat

So, in summary, trying to define a 'real' roleplayer is like trying to herd cats.

Ha.

Done it.

OT: RP in the game isn't much difficult from at a table.

You mostly use the 'say' and 'emote' channels to enact as your avatar would. Pretty straightforward. You may need to move, and go to areas where other people are, to find the RP, but it's pretty similar to tabletop once you get to it.

A tip I have is to find out what the global OOC channel is for your chosen server, and try to organize/find RP using it. It's helpful, and it can help you learn the tricks of the trade to ask in the chat. It might also be helpful to find some people willing to teach you in-game. Though, if you have some experience at the table, you probably don't need much teaching.

If you are used to real RP, abandon all hope now and save you the horror.

Roleplaying in an online game does feel very...well... clunky. It involves a lot of descriptive writing and suspension of disbelief. In other words, if you can't imagine other players doing that their emotes and conversation say they're doing you will not like RPing in swtor or any mmo.

If you're willing to give it a shot and have a fertile imagination you'll probably greatly enjoy yourself. As for North American realms I'm leveling on Lord Adraas (EST rp server) and there's RP everywhere, Empire side at least.

As other people have said, it's not much different from tabletop RP. First step is to create a character, as you would in a tabletop. Then, just let the creativity flow through you and just roleplay. At least, that's what I do:)

And if you want your character critiqued, just post him in the Create A Character thread. I like to review people's characters and help them out best I can.