New System For Editing Armor Sets' Additions, like Shoulder Pads, Attachments, Etc.

arunav

Based on the developer post about designing Mek-Sha last year, it seems the BW team has access to a system that lets them design and edit NPC armors, adding or removing what used to be "progression layers" on armor at launch, and now are simply things that a player may or may not want on their character, such as shoulder pads, backpacks, hoods, and so on.

In the past, a system like Strongholds was developed for players from what BW developers use to create environments in SWTOR. It became a major feature in the game, and also a source of revenue.

Can we see a similar system put in the game for armors that players can edit to their liking, in exchange for credits or CCs?

This way, we can buy a CM armor set, or take a launch-era in-game set and edit certain parts out as we'd prefer, such that the armor fits a certain character best.

There's simply too many armors in the game for the BW team to offer players different versions of. A system that lets players edit armors themselves can both make customization in the game much better and be a revenue source.

I'm not sure how long this would take to implement, but I think the community would greatly value having a system like this in place. And, look at how Strongholds turned out - I never imagined decorations would be such a prominent part of the game when that system launched.

I've been seeing player requests for changes to hoods, backpacks, antennae, and all manner of details on armor sets since 1.0. It would be great to have a chance to use a version of what the BW team does when it designs NPCs for our own characters.

Edited by arunav

It sounds likw a great idea, there are a few sets, I'd like more, if certains parts were gone. But I suppose it would depend on how much work would it take to implement from NPC armour, to pc armour, and what resources it would cost.

That's for BW to figure out. We have no idea what's involved.

It seems at least possible, given what was done with Strongholds, that a developer system can be adapted into a player one.

That's for BW to figure out. We have no idea what's involved.

It seems at least possible, given what was done with Strongholds, that a developer system can be adapted into a player one.

Actually this is something we can make an educated guess on as it is mostly just asset management.

Many of the extra "bits and pieces" of armour sets are separate models that are attached to the "parent" set. It should not be difficult to add a system that could hide, or dynamically load in an empty model for those attachments

This would actually already be technically possible for a user to do, but as it would involve talking about game files, that is not allowed on the forums

This would actually already be technically possible for a user to do, but as it would involve talking about game files, that is not allowed on the forums

More to the point, perhaps, it's also something that's in the category of "far too fiddly" to be ussable as a "for all of us" tool. An properly set up in-game tool to edit these layers would take some work for the UI and might in some cases require modifications to the items in the databases.

WARNING: in what follows, when I say, "armour," I really mean, "armour and weapons and speeders." The same reasoning applies to all of them.

It depends on whether [1] the internal armour tool *just* adds the individual layers' meshes to a list of meshes that can then be manipulated by a hypothetical in-game layer-editor, or, on the other extreme, [2] it welds the meshes together to produce a "total" mesh. The ability to hide hood geometry by wearing the right helmet or being the right species hints strongly that [1] is the way it works, since the hood-hide function of a helmet or species just hides the "Chest.Hood" geometry layer. (Yes, that's a name I made up. I have no idea what it's called internally.)

If it is [1], well, that's a good thing, since that would allow them to build an in-game per-instance-of-an-item tool that would allow us to turn off surplus scopes on blasters, hide hoods unconditionally on armour(1), remove unwanted shoulder plates, etc.

My pitch supporting this is based on the Fallen Defender set. The fallen defender it is named after is Darth Atroxa, the red Twi'lek Sith killed by Arcann in the Sacrifice in-game trailer cinematic. Although the over-robe is the least badly-behaved of all "twisting" robes and capes (it pops back to normal if your character as much as breathes), I'd still like to be able, for other reasons, to get rid of it.

(1) People have been campaigning for a way to hide hoods in a way *we* control, and above all without showing a helmet, for ages and ages. This wish is the source of the endless misguided threads asking for a Covert Energy Headpiece, which would *almost* make things worse - it would look like it did the job, but someone (sorry, I don't remember who it was other than that it wasn't me) pointed out that as soon as you went into a companion cut-scene, especially one with smooching, the hood would reappear as the game hid the helmet and suppressed its "hide hood" function.

There are a lot of outfits i'd like more without the hood / cape / big shoulder pads / backpack / robes or anything that looks weird, mostly when on the back of an outfit, so if anything could be added to the game to be able to hide / remove them, i'd be all for it.

(1) People have been campaigning for a way to hide hoods in a way *we* control, and above all without showing a helmet, for ages and ages. This wish is the source of the endless misguided threads asking for a Covert Energy Headpiece, which would *almost* make things worse - it would look like it did the job, but someone (sorry, I don't remember who it was other than that it wasn't me) pointed out that as soon as you went into a companion cut-scene, especially one with smooching, the hood would reappear as the game hid the helmet and suppressed its "hide hood" function.

I think that was me, as i once used a simple circlet to hide a hood and was pretty pissed when the hood poped back during cutscenes turning my character bald again, and i guessed a covert headgear would behave the same.

So for a "covert headgear" to work, it would have to not be removed during cutscenes and behave more like the "hiding hood species" (Twi'leks, Nautolans and Togrutas) than like other helmets

Edited by Goreshaga

I have two ideas for this.

My first idea is like yours.

1 the add different skins in the game where you can pay credits and/or coins, to remove shoulder pads, capes, ect.. Kind of like Warframe does.

2. you have to get schematics, from bosses, vendors, or from cartel market, to be able to craft or adjusts the armor skin. So a artifice crafter can change a lightsaber, a armormech crafting, can change armor, ect..