Roleplaying the Legacy System- Just some advice

Guildrum

Okay, before I begin, just let me make clear that I do not assume to know more, have done more or am overall more experienced with roleplaying than anyone else here. I am just putting my thoughts and overall experience out there, take it or leave it.

Now that that's out of the way, we can begin. The Legacy System is an interesting system in a number of ways. Firstly, it's only the first year of the game, first quarter of the game even, and they are already putting in significantly game-changing systems into their product. Particularly, the Legacy System.

Now, the biggest issue that most people have with said system, is that it puts everyone into a family tree. So wait, does that mean that my Sith Pureblood Inquisitor, my Twi'lek Smuggler and my Zabrak Trooper are all brothers and sisters? How does that work? Well, not necessarily. Remember, this is your game and when you roleplay, it's your story. If a family tree would work, splendid! If not, there are other ways to imagine it. Webs of alliances and associations? Maybe all of these people are connected to one central figure? Or perhaps they have one goal in mind, or are a part of some cult/clan. There are many ways the Legacy System could work, and if all else fails, ignore this part in your roleplay and enjoy the out-of-character benefits it brings...

Now the second and even more controversial portion of the legacy system... Races transcending the faction/class barrier. I personally find this kind of funny. When the game was released, and even before that, a lot of RPers were left wondering, "Why can't my Twi'lek by a trooper?" Or... "Why can't my Mirilian be a Bounty Hunter like Kestrel?" (10 Forum Points for whoever gets that.) And now, Bioware's giving us a system that can transcend such barriers. Except that you know, we are also getting Sith Pureblood Jedi, Chiss Smugglers and Miraluka Agents alongside them.

So great! Well... How do we deal with this? Many fear an inevitable flood of Sith Jedi and Miraluka Sith in the game, and everyone knows this is particularly out of the box, even for Star Wars. Many see it as an equivalent to Bioware opening a door for all kinds of out-of-the-box and wacked out backstories and RP. But at the same time, they are opening doors for people who can create a great backstory and Roleplaying. We will have to take the good with the bad. So instead of seeing a Sith Pureblood Smuggler in the Cantina and automatically assuming, *Click*, "Bad RPer, avoid at all costs.", it would be better for you, the other RPer and even the community in general to think, "Okay then, this could be an interesting roleplaying session." and who knows? The guy could have a perfectly legit and interesting backstory for his Sith Pureblood to become a Smuggler! Or maybe that Miraluka Agent is a new to roleplaying and could use some decent RP advice.

My advice can be summed up in this, be open minded and creative. Instead of seeing the improbable and backing away from it, embrace it for all of it's good and bad.

Okay, before I begin, just let me make clear that I do not assume to know more, have done more or am overall more experienced with roleplaying than anyone else here. I am just putting my thoughts and overall experience out there, take it or leave it.

Now that that's out of the way, we can begin. The Legacy System is an interesting system in a number of ways. Firstly, it's only the first year of the game, first quarter of the game even, and they are already putting in significantly game-changing systems into their product. Particularly, the Legacy System.

Now, the biggest issue that most people have with said system, is that it puts everyone into a family tree. So wait, does that mean that my Sith Pureblood Inquisitor, my Twi'lek Smuggler and my Zabrak Trooper are all brothers and sisters? How does that work? Well, not necessarily. Remember, this is your game and when you roleplay, it's your story. If a family tree would work, splendid! If not, there are other ways to imagine it. Webs of alliances and associations? Maybe all of these people are connected to one central figure? Or perhaps they have one goal in mind, or are a part of some cult/clan. There are many ways the Legacy System could work, and if all else fails, ignore this part in your roleplay and enjoy the out-of-character benefits it brings...

Now the second and even more controversial portion of the legacy system... Races transcending the faction/class barrier. I personally find this kind of funny. When the game was released, and even before that, a lot of RPers were left wondering, "Why can't my Twi'lek by a trooper?" Or... "Why can't my Mirilian be a Bounty Hunter like Kestrel?" (10 Forum Points for whoever gets that.) And now, Bioware's giving us a system that can transcend such barriers. Except that you know, we are also getting Sith Pureblood Jedi, Chiss Smugglers and Miraluka Agents alongside them.

So great! Well... How do we deal with this? Many fear an inevitable flood of Sith Jedi and Miraluka Sith in the game, and everyone knows this is particularly out of the box, even for Star Wars. Many see it as an equivalent to Bioware opening a door for all kinds of out-of-the-box and wacked out backstories and RP. But at the same time, they are opening doors for people who can create a great backstory and Roleplaying. We will have to take the good with the bad. So instead of seeing a Sith Pureblood Smuggler in the Cantina and automatically assuming, *Click*, "Bad RPer, avoid at all costs.", it would be better for you, the other RPer and even the community in general to think, "Okay then, this could be an interesting roleplaying session." and who knows? The guy could have a perfectly legit and interesting backstory for his Sith Pureblood to become a Smuggler! Or maybe that Miraluka Agent is a new to roleplaying and could use some decent RP advice.

My advice can be summed up in this, be open minded and creative. Instead of seeing the improbable and backing away from it, embrace it for all of it's good and bad.

Best advice on the subject thus far.

Awesome post! I know I'm going to have intricate familial/alliance line fun when legacy options open in 1.2. I agree wholeheartedly to be open minded and friendly, if not with your character's disposition, then with your ooc stuff. If you're on The Ebon Hawk server, I hope to see you around! Edited by Wollemi

Finally someone who thinks the Legacy system isn't ruining roleplay. For a while there, I thought I was the only one.

Also I'd like to add to the Sith Pureblood as a smuggler or trooper. The Jedi Council have the ability to strip the Force from a being, albeit it's increasingly rare for them to do such a thing, but maybe they did it to a few Sith Purebloods that they felt couldn't be trusted within the ranks of the Jedi and then of course those Sith Purebloods had kids and due to the fact that their parents had no connection to the Force, it's possible that they have a very weak connection that can only come out during the "Heroic Moment" portions.

Awesome post! I know I'm going to have intricate familial/alliance line fun when legacy options open in 1.2. I agree wholeheartedly to be open minded and friendly, if not with your character's disposition, then with your ooc stuff. If you're on The Ebon Hawk server, I hope to see you around!

Well, I am on Vrook Lamar, but I have seen a couple of you Ebon Hawk fellows around (You, Slaine and Scorpienne methinks) and you all seem like a friendly bunch!

Now, with recent news, there is good news for all of you who plan to use the legacy system as a web of alliances and rivalries! According to Bioware, there will be options within the family tree to make friends and enemies, rather than family members by blood. So now your Chiss and Twi'lek can be interconnected by friendship instead of adoption/some weird biological crud.

My main (and really only) problem with the Legacy system is that all of my characters either have to have the same last name or no last name at all. It doesn't make sense for friends and rivals to have the same last name.

I think the Legacy title should stay consistent for all of my characters on a server, but individual characters should be able to have different last names.

Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Leia Organa, and Boba Fett all had different last names even though I can imagine them as George Lucas's toons in his <The Skywalker Legacy>.

You can sweet-sugar this all you want. If I see a Sith Pureblood Smuggler I am going to be prejudical out of principle, because Bioware has shown me a story and a world where encountering such an individual would be such a rare event that it is next to an impossibility, and as such I wont trust a random stranger to roleplay that role properly.

Honestly, what should I say in-character? Should I act surprised? "Sith?? Here?! Wow! And you're loyal to the republic??"... that's going to get as old as the "I left teh empire cuz they bad"... and eventually it's going to be "Sith Pureblood defectors? Mmh yeah, they are not so rare. They are everywhere in the galaxy." and bam, the individuality of both factions killed with one stone. And I don't get how people do not see that and why not more people raise concerns about it.

Personally, my only hope is to regress everything I've learned about the SWTOR-lore. That way I may be more forgiving and open-minded about these new ... individuals.

Sigh, how goes the saying?

Grant to us the serenity of mind to accept that which cannot be changed...

Edited by Majspuffen

Player characters should be unique and interesting. They shouldn't necessarilly be condfined to the same limitations as NPCs.

While I hope their won't be a TON of Sith smugglers, jedi, troopers, agents and bounty hunters, their presence in the universe isn't THAT difficult to justify.

Here's an 8-character legacy, all sith purebloods, each a different class.

The first character.

Marriuk Danastus

Sith Pureblood Inquisitor

While on a quest in Dromund Kaas, your character comes into contact with the holocron of Keleth Ur, an ancient light side using sith. You use this as justification for your character going light side instead of dark. Like Keleth Ur, your character never actually abandons the sith but is labeled a heretic for spreading the message of the light side of the force.

Dynock Danastus

Sith Pureblood Jedi Knight

Because of his activity with the light side, Marriuk Danastus has some contacts within the Jedi order. He has a son. Because of his many enemies within the Sith, he decides to give his son to the Jedi while he is an infant to protect him. His son, Dynock Danastus becomes a dedicated Jedi Knight. He makes contacts among Sith Purebloods who knew and respected his father and eventually establishes a faction of Sith Purebloods within the Jedi Order (helps justify the number of other Pureblood Jedi running around).

Alerika Danastus

Sith Pureblood Smuggler

Alerika is a member of a Pureblood family that was exiled from Korriban a few generations back. Her family was destitute and forced into a life a crime. This is how she became a smuggler. While force sensitive like all Sith, she was never trained in the force and so does not use it. She resented the Sith and the empire for her family's exile and so helps the Republic every chance she gets. She comes into contact with Dynock Danastus and eventually marries him.

Tulna Danastus

Sith Pureblood Consular

The daughter of Alerika and Dynock

Dextrus Danastus

Sith Pureblood Warrior

The brother of Marriuk, the uncle of Dynock. Hates both of them and is their main rival. Dark Side/Sith devotee.

Morigond

Sith Pureblood Bounty Hunter

The brother of Alerika. Doesn't share her love for the Republic but is an occasional ally of the Danastus family.

Darrys

Sith Pureblood Trooper

You are the child of one of the members of the Sith Pureblood Jedi faction started by Dynock. You were unusually less force senstive than most sith and so you were never trained in the force. Because of this your family treated you as a failure. Combined with the general level of fear most people in the republic have for sith purebloods, this has turned you into a sociopath. You join the military as an outlet for your bloodlust.

Fellara

Sith Pureblood Agent

Also unusually less force senstive than most sith, you join imperial intelligence. You have been tasked to investigate the Danastus family and destroy them as traitors to the empire. Another rival character.

Edited by PurpleMagick

I think that it would be interesting/make more sense for the sake of story to be able to marry etc. a companion that you have a certain affection/romance with. I think that it would make the whole roleplaying aspect easier and make more sense storywise.

ex. Kaliyo would be the mother of said children with your Bounty Hunter character instead of you having to create a toon (you have a limited amount) to have a wife of your male Bounty Hunter that has a romance and has gone through the romance arc with Kaliyo.

But then maybe it is just me.

I think that it would be interesting/make more sense for the sake of story to be able to marry etc. a companion that you have a certain affection/romance with. I think that it would make the whole roleplaying aspect easier and make more sense storywise.

ex. Kaliyo would be the mother of said children with your Bounty Hunter character instead of you having to create a toon (you have a limited amount) to have a wife of your male Bounty Hunter that has a romance and has gone through the romance arc with Kaliyo.

But then maybe it is just me.

You're getting a little into the realms of 'impairing gameplay' there ;P

You can sweet-sugar this all you want. If I see a Sith Pureblood Smuggler I am going to be prejudical out of principle, because Bioware has shown me a story and a world where encountering such an individual would be such a rare event that it is next to an impossibility, and as such I wont trust a random stranger to roleplay that role properly.
Then I shouldn't be willing to let you RP a Jedi Master or a Darth, because according to Bioware's story, they are not entirely common. That, and the sheer fact that Bioware's willing to put them in is signal enough of them saying, "Yes, they are rare, but they are there, and hence, you can play them. Just not off-the-bat."

Honestly, what should I say in-character? Should I act surprised? "Sith?? Here?! Wow! And you're loyal to the republic??"... that's going to get as old as the "I left teh empire cuz they bad"... and eventually it's going to be "Sith Pureblood defectors? Mmh yeah, they are not so rare. They are everywhere in the galaxy." and bam, the individuality of both factions killed with one stone. And I don't get how people do not see that and why not more people raise concerns about it.
Hyperbole and exaggeration. I play on Vrook Lamar, so the situation on your server may be different, but I do not see a "flood of" Sith Pureblood and Chiss everywhere. Why then, would you assume that they would be swarming on the Republic?

Personally, my only hope is to regress everything I've learned about the SWTOR-lore. That way I may be more forgiving and open-minded about these new ... individuals.
Why? It's not like they are introducing Darth Vader or Luke Skywalker to the game.

Attaboy! You don't need to agree with it, it's Bioware's game, and just try to figure out the most logical/kindest ways to go about it.

Being creative and open-minded normally leaves me with no one to RP with, no matter how much I check my lore. Most people you meet in world rp are too concerned with their run of the mill flirty smugglers, and such, to pay attention to someone who isn't very, very, very, very typical.

I can have trouble finding rp at all sometimes, but I think legacy can make it worse, in a way that I am already avoided they might assume I'm an idiot for rolling a certain race a certain class, when in fact most people post in the passive now (Why do people do that? Five years ago it was not so prevalent~), or they don't know the difference between the words your and you're! Sadface. I don't think legacy can help, it will just make the game a bit more fun for me, and my ridiculously high legacy level. :3

Would you be so kind as to provide us with a list of rules that should be followed for what is, and what is not, allowed in RP? It would make our lives oh so much easier to know what it is that you apparently will not allow (or, more accurately, what you will not roll your eyes at and/or sign despondently).

Being creative and open-minded normally leaves me with no one to RP with, no matter how much I check my lore. Most people you meet in world rp are too concerned with their run of the mill flirty smugglers, and such, to pay attention to someone who isn't very, very, very, very typical.

I can have trouble finding rp at all sometimes, but I think legacy can make it worse, in a way that I am already avoided they might assume I'm an idiot for rolling a certain race a certain class, when in fact most people post in the passive now (Why do people do that? Five years ago it was not so prevalent~), or they don't know the difference between the words your and you're! Sadface. I don't think legacy can help, it will just make the game a bit more fun for me, and my ridiculously high legacy level. :3

That's why I posted my advice, so people who do turn off people based off of race-class combos can "see the light" and be more open minded and create more open RP in the process. I always take time to comment on someone's race (What an amazing lack of eyes you have...), a piece of equipment (Quite the Assault Cannon you've got there.. Heavier than I am I'm sure.) or something else out of the box. (Isn't that a lightsaber in your pocket? Or are you just happy to see me?)

Would you be so kind as to provide us with a list of rules that should be followed for what is, and what is not, allowed in RP? It would make our lives oh so much easier to know what it is that you apparently will not allow (or, more accurately, what you will not roll your eyes at and/or sign despondently).

Sigh. Tell me the intention of this post. Are you actually sincere? Or are you trying to stirr another argument? Are you trying to make yourself look smart? Well done, I'm sure your mother would be very proud of you.

I've stated my concerns and you have no doubt read the majority of my posts. In fact, I'm sure you avoided one of them simply because you couldn't answer it. If you had any kind of perspective, you would have an idea of why the legacy system upsets me.

But to answer your post; I'm not the one who should make up the rules, Bioware should. And they are. Yet they don't provide any lore to the change. That is what upsets me. When I read "Writer Charles Boyd speaks on the continuing story of The Old Republic" I was hoping for some brief explanation, but they gave us none. At the end of the day it isn't the players making the story of this game, it's Bioware and as such I would have expected something, since the legacy system contradicts a lot of their own lore. Call it lack of creativity, call it hyberbolism, call it whatever you want. I dislike the legacy system for that fact, period.

I also don't see a point in repeating myself over and over. Is arguing really that much fun?

Edited by Majspuffen

Sigh. Tell me the intention of this post. Are you actually sincere? Or are you trying to stirr another argument? Are you trying to make yourself look smart? Well done, I'm sure your mother would be very proud of you.

I've stated my concerns and you have no doubt read the majority of my posts. In fact, I'm sure you avoided one of them simply because you couldn't answer it. If you had any kind of perspective, you would have an idea of why the legacy system upsets me.

But to answer your post; I'm not the one who should make up the rules, Bioware should. And they are. Yet they don't provide any lore to the change. That is what upsets me. When I read "Writer Charles Boyd speaks on the continuing story of The Old Republic" I was hoping for some brief explanation, but they gave us none. At the end of the day it isn't the players making the story of this game, it's Bioware and as such I would have expected something, since the legacy system contradicts a lot of their own lore. Call it lack of creativity, call it hyberbolism, call it whatever you want. I dislike the legacy system for that fact, period.

I also don't see a point in repeating myself over and over. Is arguing really that much fun?

I have a question then. Would it really be better if Bioware offered an explanation for every race being able to be every class? I mean, if Bioware said, "Here is how Sith Purebloods can be Jedi, there is this cult of Light Side Purebloods...", then that would leave very little "wiggle room" for creative juices. Why? Because all the Sith Pureblood Jedi you'd meet would be of that cult, and everyone who wanted to be a Sith Pureblood Jedi would have to be a member of said cult, lest they be, "Lore breaking."

In the long run, I think it is better for Bioware to say, "Okay guys, you can kind of figure this out on your own if you want." While it would be good to offer some level of representation that would offer logical, lore-abiding, yet not lore-defining, reasons for Chiss to be Smugglers, Rattataki to be Jedi, and for Miraluka to be Bounty Hunters. But that's just wishful thinking, I'd take it over being pigeonholed into one type of character.

I look forward to the class/race combinations that will be unlocked by the Legacy system, and the sad thing is that all my characters are human. I'm not so interested in the unlocking for myself (as it will not unlock anything for me) but I am interested in seeing the creative ways other people will use the system.

The thing I like about MMORPGs is watching and participating in the unfolding creativity of others.

I have a question then. Would it really be better if Bioware offered an explanation for every race being able to be every class? I mean, if Bioware said, "Here is how Sith Purebloods can be Jedi, there is this cult of Light Side Purebloods...", then that would leave very little "wiggle room" for creative juices. Why? Because all the Sith Pureblood Jedi you'd meet would be of that cult, and everyone who wanted to be a Sith Pureblood Jedi would have to be a member of said cult, lest they be, "Lore breaking."

In the long run, I think it is better for Bioware to say, "Okay guys, you can kind of figure this out on your own if you want." While it would be good to offer some level of representation that would offer logical, lore-abiding, yet not lore-defining, reasons for Chiss to be Smugglers, Rattataki to be Jedi, and for Miraluka to be Bounty Hunters. But that's just wishful thinking, I'd take it over being pigeonholed into one type of character.

I personally would prefer the former. If a cult of Sith Purebloods left the empire, say, 50 years ago, then that would explain the sudden amount of Sith Pureblood non-force users... because from what Bioware taught me about the story of this game, Sith Pureblood that are not force sensetive are executed.

It would be somewhat of a retcon still, I feel, but it would explain why we're seeing Sith Pureblood in the republic. But I won't pretend what the best story for this is, all I know is that I would appreciate something.

My Sith Purebllod did indeed consider Keleth Ur's statements carefully... and then turned in a long lost (yet blanked) datacron she found in a cave near the Temple.

She knows damn well that the Sith Lord she gave that datacron to will never activate it - he's likely to either lock it up or destroy it at first opportunity.

So SHE is studying Keleth Ur's holocron, learning how to balance Dark and Light (thus her neutral to Light alignment) and becoming more powerful as a result.

Thus her 'legacy' has begun.

My complaint? That the first character you get to the end of Chapter 1 determines the Legacy. There should be an option to create a NEW Legacy whenever you get to that point, or continue the association with the prior character.

I see a lot of assumptions being made here. I'll start with just three.

Assumption 1: If you unlock a species, you can play one on both factions in all classes.

I haven't seen this anywhere. The only thing I've been able to understand is we unlock that species for that faction's other classes. But no mention that I've seen yet, said there was cross-faction species unlocks. Can anyone find an absolutely credible source that says, if you level your Sith pure-blood up, it unlocks it to play as any class and any faction you want? I can't find any such thing, and would appreciate the help researching it.

Assumption 2: Legacy is a new system.

Legacy was already coded into the game before launch. Much of the actual mechanics of the coding are actually there, and were intended to be available immediately at launch, and even promised to be available at game launch. Doesn't anyone remember that Euro-con reveal about it? This is not new, it is not game-changing as a system, it's something that was actually already half done but because they couldn't finish it and fine-tune it in time before launch it was turned off on most aspects except for the name unlock and the experience bar. They explained all this quite clearly at the Guild Summit. This is not a game-changing feature, it is a game-finishing feature that was originally intended.

Assumption 3: You must RP your combat class

This is only a game mechanic feature. Like all other game mechanic features, it can be ignored in your RP if you wish to. No one is forcing you to role play your class story line, and I categorically deny the power to any person to tell me what job my character is allowed to have in my role play.

Arguing about what species is "allowed" to play what RP job is pointless and silly. A person could play the smuggler because he likes the combat mechanics, and insist that he's a dentist if he wants to. Don't people need healthy teeth and gums in Star Wars too? My smuggler is not a smuggler. She is a sound engineer. Smuggler only labels what weapons I use, what armor class I wear, and what special abilities I have. These only come into factor in combat, not in my RP, or if it does come into my RP, there's nothing wrong with a sound engineer who is good with blasters. That's like telling your next door neighbor who's a school teacher he can't have a gun license.

I decided to tie them all to an important event.

I'll admit I didn't like the legacy system being forced down my throat, but in the end I thank Bioware cuz it made me add a dimension to my chars. Looks like a bunch of you are enjoying wioth some good stuff as well.:)

Edited by avariambush

They showed some screenshots of family trees that included titles like "adopted" and other creative ways to explain it.

I came up with a great idea in my RP to explain a Legacy character. Now, the 1.2 patch is open in the test server, I will try to see if it's true, but from how I understand it, if you want to unlock Chiss for all classes, you have to play a Chiss to level 50. Well I only have the seven slots, and I want to play Chiss Warrior, but darn, I don't think leveling up my Cyborg to 50 will unlock a Chiss right?

So here's what I decided. I made the long name version of my Chiss character, and will level her up to 50 as an agent and RP her character a certain specific personality, then at 50 when I unlock Chiss for Warrior, I won't remake a totally new character. Instead I make the new Chiss warrior, and in my RP story, explain that I just found out I have force sensitive power and am being ordered to attend Korriban Academy for training.

Now in this instance, it's useful because from what I read in the Darth Bane books, it's a tradition to change your name when you become a student of the Sith, so you could even change your character's name entirely under that concept, and play it again from level 1 up as the same person, going through training in a new profession.

This works for any profession if you make a character with a long/short version of their name for the first roll through, then remake that same appearance character (or you could add scars or changes caused by the profession change) with an altered name, same, but shortened, or longer depending on your preference and rp storyline.

To give an example on the name change thing Chiss are said to have long complicated names. My Chiss will start out her first roll as a long name, because she's stuffy and rigid in personality, but when she goes to her new profession she's going to gradually loosen up and start to understand how to be more relaxed, so I will reflect this by re-making her with the shortened version of her name.

People change their professions in mid-life all the time now, especially from the economic issues. I'm personally starting out new in a third career for my life. So there's no reason we can't include that concept in our RP to help explain the "Legacy dilemma" aspect of being forced to remake a character after unlocks, right?