Gear Restrictions

So I've recently returned to Star Wars and have been leveling a Marauder. While I firmly believe that losing a roll in a flashpoint over gear isn't something to be upset about, I feel like something needs to be done.

Once you hit the high 40's, you start seeing some great pre-Ops gear dropping in Directive 7 and above. I've lost 3 pieces alone today to willpower light armour users. When the gear is endgame pieces, it stings a bit to see the Inquisitor Assassin ninja your stuff and leave.

Does Bioware plan to implement a system when you can only roll for pieces that you can ACTUALLY use? Because frankly I'm getting sick of the morons who either don't know and just loot everything at low levels, or the douchebags at higher flashpoints that feel the need to take stuff from people that can actually use it.

TL;DR - Perhaps it's time we restrict items based on stats and armour type so stupid people stop ruining our game.

How about splitting "Need" into 2 options? One would be "Need (companion), which would have a lower chance to win the roll, but better than "Greed". The other would be "Need (self)" which gives you the best chance to win the drop, but is only available to click if the gear in question is of the right type for you (i.e. armor - lt/md/hv, saber - single/double/offhand, gun - pistol/blaster/assault, etc.) and/or matches your primary stat.

That would be handy in Ops situations, where there's a bit more social pressure to behave in a civilized manner, but for FPs and PUGs, I suppose that people would just cheat and click "Need (companion)" when they're really just greeding on things, which brings you back to applying a standard for being able to click "Need" vs. anybody being able to click "Greed".

That would be handy in Ops situations, where there's a bit more social pressure to behave in a civilized manner, but for FPs and PUGs, I suppose that people would just cheat and click "Need (companion)" when they're really just greeding on things, which brings you back to applying a standard for being able to click "Need" vs. anybody being able to click "Greed".

You could also restrict Need(Companion) to only the main stats of the companions applicable to that class. Bounty Hunters don't have any Strength or Willpower companions, for example, and so wouldn't be able to roll for Companion on Strength or Willpower gear.

You should not be allowed to roll Need on loot that your class can't wear, period. It blows my mind when players roll Need on stuff that isn't for their class... my mind has been blown even further by the fact that players have been asking Bioware to change the roll priorities on loot since beta and they haven't fixed it yet.

The only thing they have to do is limit Need rolls like this:

Guardian/Juggernaut - roll Need on Heavy Armor with Strength only.

Sentinel/Marauder - roll Need on Medium Armor with Strength only.

Smuggler/Agent - roll Need on Medium Armor with Cunning only.

Consular/Inquisitor - roll Need on Light Armor with Willpower only.

Trooper/Bounty Hunter - roll Need on Heavy Armor with Aim only.

If the armor doesn't match your class Need table, then you can only roll Greed. Then, you're only fighting with dps vs. tanking and dps vs. healing gear rolls. I think that's astronomically better than rolling Need on loot for your companion that you don't see anymore post 50.

Unfortunately, it's a risk that comes with pugging things. In a pug, it's free for all. When biometric alloys were going for 100k+ each, we all automatically rolled need at the end of every HM FP. Now it's hard to care.

The short term solution is to put them on ignore and take the comms. Long term? Who knows, it's a social game and jerks will be jerks. Rather that restrict rolls to AC & Mainstat, I'd almost want it to be like campaign gear, where it's a non-class specific token that drops that can be redeemed for all classes. That way you can get whatever you want. I doubt they'll do anything at all, honestly.

If I'm trying to gear out a companion, I typically use commendations before rolling on anything in a flashpoint / op because that's the same courtesy my guildies have with me. Maybe they add unmoddable companion gear that uses commendations but costs less, similar to the crafted droid parts.

How about splitting "Need" into 2 options? One would be "Need (companion), which would have a lower chance to win the roll, but better than "Greed". The other would be "Need (self)" which gives you the best chance to win the drop, but is only available to click if the gear in question is of the right type for you (i.e. armor - lt/md/hv, saber - single/double/offhand, gun - pistol/blaster/assault, etc.) and/or matches your primary stat.

Except for the underlined part I agree. Considering how gear in swtor works with the stats coming from the mods rather than the shells the armor type of the shell doesn't matter other than cosmetics, so I'm perfectly fine with a marauder needing on heavy armor and juggs needing on medium - they'll then just rip the mods out and put it in the appropriate armor version.

While I don't have a strong opinion on limiting Need rolls, let me just say: OP, you can recommence relaxing when it comes to winning rolls. The gear you are losing is not 'pre-ops' gear. As soon as you hit 50 you will get a full set of Tionese gear for free. This is the lowest level of ops gear - better than pre-ops gear, and you will be geared enough for SM Ops and HM FPs right off the bat.

People needing on stuff for companions or to sell are annoying though. I'd just put them on ignore, but know that other than bugging you they aren't hurting your character's gear progression.

, I'd almost want it to be like campaign gear, where it's a non-class specific token that drops that can be redeemed for all classes.

And this argument is done over again - with people complaining about needing the token for companion items.

You had it the first time around, jerks will be jerks :)

While I don't have a strong opinion on limiting Need rolls, let me just say: OP, you can recommence relaxing when it comes to winning rolls. The gear you are losing is not 'pre-ops' gear. As soon as you hit 50 you will get a full set of Tionese gear for free. This is the lowest level of ops gear - better than pre-ops gear, and you will be geared enough for SM Ops and HM FPs right off the bat.

People needing on stuff for companions or to sell are annoying though. I'd just put them on ignore, but know that other than bugging you they aren't hurting your character's gear progression.

^^^This... Was the first thing I thought about when I read the OP. Worrying about gear drops in lower lvl flashpoints is pointless imo.. You get a full set of Tionese gear and PVP gear (implants etc) when you hit lvl 50..

You should not be allowed to roll Need on loot that your class can't wear, period. It blows my mind when players roll Need on stuff that isn't for their class... my mind has been blown even further by the fact that players have been asking Bioware to change the roll priorities on loot since beta and they haven't fixed it yet.

If the armor doesn't match your class Need table, then you can only roll Greed. Then, you're only fighting with dps vs. tanking and dps vs. healing gear rolls. I think that's astronomically better than rolling Need on loot for your companion that you don't see anymore post 50.

I don't think this is a great idea. Suppose a random piece drops, and its a medium armor with strength, but you are the only one in the group with strength mainstat. You are unquestionably entitled to need on it (assuming you do need the mods), but this system would prevent you from doing so. In addition, in most cases it is the mods that matter, not the orange shell. Whether the armor is heavy or medium is really irrelevant. An example for this: a heavy armor piece with dps mods should clearly go to a mara over a jugg tank. If there is a jugg dps and mara, and both can use the mods equally, it does not make sense to give the piece to the jugg only because the shell happens to be heavy.

I don't think this is a great idea. Suppose a random piece drops, and its a medium armor with strength, but you are the only one in the group with strength mainstat. You are unquestionably entitled to need on it (assuming you do need the mods), but this system would prevent you from doing so. In addition, in most cases it is the mods that matter, not the orange shell. Whether the armor is heavy or medium is really irrelevant. An example for this: a heavy armor piece with dps mods should clearly go to a mara over a jugg tank. If there is a jugg dps and mara, and both can use the mods equally, it does not make sense to give the piece to the jugg only because the shell happens to be heavy.

Truth. This is why there is such fierce competition over certain Campaign and DG tokens and the rest literally no one wants. Its like when you're min/maxing your Black Hole gear - your entire setup is built out of a whole lot of Boots. (Boots for Mara's at least)

@OP: the gear that is dropping pre 50 is irrelevant don't even bother picking it up. Get 50 get your free gear and then grind to min/maxed DG.

I don't think this is a great idea. Suppose a random piece drops, and its a medium armor with strength, but you are the only one in the group with strength mainstat. You are unquestionably entitled to need on it (assuming you do need the mods), but this system would prevent you from doing so.

Then I will use the word that sveveral has used against me when they argue regarding a common sense lootsystem.

The word is "communication", if you communicate with the group. I am sure the modifications ends up in the right hands if you have the ability to use them and no other class played in the group can. If the group agrees that this is a item with mods you in fact can use then there will be no problem.. But the correct way to do this is by using the greed option, not the need option since the item is clearly not designed for your specific class. Or are you afraid that someone will ninja your item and sell it to nearest vendor?

Greed is a excellent way to use here and let the others pass while you take the item, take out the mods that you won with greed and everyone will be happy.

However if a juggernaut is present and he can equip the item he has to be able to roll need first since every boss is balanced to drop equal gear divided among the classes. If every juggernauts/sentinels and jedis/guardians starts to roll need items for modripping then they have double chance of getting gear then any other class.

Think of that for a while. Bioware balanced bossdrops after advancedclass, some willpower/strengthloot is more def oriented and so on. Checking any valid loottable clearly proves that.

But it does not make it right for juggernauts to take marauder items and vice versa. Those advanced classes needs to gear up aswell without losing needrolls to someone that can´t equip it.

So by ripping mods from items you can´t equip you effectivly deyning the class that were ment to have the item in the firstplace. Communicate with the team and ask if you can have the modifications, that might be the start of a good friendly conversation since everyone seems to like players that are polite.

This is something for Bioware to think about and hopefully change in the near future

Edited by Icestar

Yes, I have suggested this for over a year now. Hopfully Bioware will wake up soon and read the thousands posts made by the community regarding the problem with anarchy lootsystem in The old Republic.

Edited by Icestar