An in-depth look at: The Shadow of Freedon Nadd

Aurbere

"Freedon Nadd was seduced by the dark side."- Arca Jeth, Watchman of the Onderon system

The battle between Arca Jeth and Freedon Nadd acts as a prelude to The Sith War of Exar Kun. This battle is important as Freedon Nadd was the Sith Lord that ultimately corrupted Kun to the Dark Side. Arca Jeth discusses his battle with Nadd's spirit in the following recording...

Six hundred years after the Great Hyperspace War, the Jedi Freedon Nadd was seduced by the dark side, slew his own master and apprenticed himself to a Dark Lord of the Sith. In the tradition of the Sith, there can only be one Dark Lord at a time. Unable to become a Sith Lord as long as his master lived, Nadd came to the planet Onderon to make himself a king.

Four centuries after Nadd's death, I went to Onderon to bring peace to the divided world. I was preceded by my students Ulic Qel-Droma, his brother Cay, and Tott Doneeta, who had discovered that Queen Amanoa, wife of Onderon's ruler King Ommin, was possessed by the spirit of Freedon Nadd. My students and I tracked Amanoa to the deepest sublevels of her palace and discovered Freedon Nadd's tomb, which had become the focus of dark side energy and enabled his power to pass to his descendants from generation to generation.

Exposed to the light, the dark power that had supported Amanoa had abandoned her and left her dead. Nadd transferred his power to King Ommin. I was then attacked by Ommin, who smothered me in dark side energy and attempted to transform me into his own Dark Jedi. After my Jedi students came to my aid, Freedon Nadd realized that King Ommin would fall to the Jedi, so he switched his support to the Krath, a secret society founded by the cousins Satal and Aleema Keto, descendants of Empress Teta.

The Krath gained knowledge of Sith sorcery from ancient texts and relics. Nadd killed Ommin before his own apparition vanished into thin air, swearing to me that the Jedi had lost the battle.

To prevent Freedon Nadd from ever again execising his power from beyond the grave, I have transferred his sarcophagus to a great tomb on another world. The tomb is guarded by many beasts. May no one dare to find it.

Arca Jeth would meet his end at the hands of a Krath War Droid during Exar Kun's war. The spirit of Freedon Nadd would be responsible for Kun's fall to the Dark Side.

While Arca Jeth battled the spirit of Freedon Nadd, a deadly battle raged around them. Nadd had aroused his worshippers to battle the Jedi and their allies. Ulic Qel-Droma contacted the Republic for aid. They responded by sending the Republic Navy and a group of Jedi Knights.

During the battle, the Keto cousins arrived to seek aid from King Ommin in unlocking an ancient Sith spellbook. But the Jedi had defeated the possessed king. Despite this, the spirit of Freedon Nadd was able to help the Keto's by giving them several Sith artifacts.

According to the research of a Sith named Murk Lundi, Nadd did not actually learn from a Sith Lord, but merely found an ancient Sith Holocron. Murk indicates that this Holocron was owned by King Adas of the Sith. King Adas ruled the Sith approximately three thousand years before the forming of the Republic. Records also indicate that Nadd traveled to Yavin 4 where he learned from the spirit of Naga Sadow.

Freedon Nadd's spirit caused much strife for Onderon, straining their relations with future Force users.

Freedon Nadd's tomb was later uncovered by Exar Kun shortly before Kun waged war against the Republic. The spirit of Freedon Nadd was as potent then as it was on Onderon, striking at Vodo-Siosk Baas from across the galaxy and turning Exar Kun to the Dark Side.

We will continue our analysis of the battles between Jedi and Sith with The Sith War- or Great Sith War.

If you have a topic you would like to see in the future, post them below or PM me.

yay! interlude to the Great Sith War! (personally one of my favorite galactic history events)

I liked the Great Sith War as well. One man waging a war against the galaxy and the Jedi. (hints to fan-fic :))

This story is actually pretty important as Freedon Nadd's influece was the main reason for Exar Kun's fall. Plus I wanted to give a backstory to two of my favorite characters in the Old Republic times.

This is slightly off topic but we all know that Fredon Nadd's spirit was destroyed by Exar Kun right? Well then what was the point of Nihilus's sith going to his tomb? Were they trying to bring back the Ancient Sith Lord back to life or prepare more power that Nihilus could consume or what?

This is slightly off topic but we all know that Fredon Nadd's spirit was destroyed by Exar Kun right? Well then what was the point of Nihilus's sith going to his tomb? Were they trying to bring back the Ancient Sith Lord back to life or prepare more power that Nihilus could consume or what?

The Sith were preparing a dark ritual to take control of all of the beasts on Onderon. This would have led to the defeat of Queen Talia and the fall of Iziz.

Strange, Freedon Nadd seems to have done more, or at least is more well known, as a Force ghost than in the world of the living...

True. Freedon Nadd did much more as a ghost than as a living person. Nadd's spirit changed the galaxy, imo. The Great Sith War was one of the most devastating wars in galactic history, but if it wasn't for Freedon Nadd, Exar Kun probably wouldn't have fallen. He was still pursuing Sith teachings, but Freedon Nadd was the catalyst for his fall.

I like the way he was used, mostly stay behind and lure people to the Dark Side but didn't have some super power against the Jedi. And he got succeeded by a young Sith Lord who's more powerful.

That's what I like about him too. He was the guy in the shadows. Especially as a spirit lol.

What he did as a spirit was just awesome, imo.

Technically he was. He apprenticed under the spirit of Naga Sadow on Yavin 4. You may be thinking of Ludo Kressh.

No I was thinking of Freedon Nadd. Most of what I've read about him says that he awakened Naga Sadow from stasis on Yavin 4 and then later killed him after he learned the secrets of the Sith from him. I don't think I'd ever heard about him learning from a holocron of King Adas. In fact, since King Adas was a Sith ruler long before the arrival of the Dark Jedi Exiles who became the Dark Lords of the Sith, how would he even have had a holocron? I thought they were Jedi teaching equipment.

No I was thinking of Freedon Nadd. Most of what I've read about him says that he awakened Naga Sadow from stasis on Yavin 4 and then later killed him after he learned the secrets of the Sith from him. I don't think I'd ever heard about him learning from a holocron of King Adas. In fact, since King Adas was a Sith ruler long before the arrival of the Dark Jedi Exiles who became the Dark Lords of the Sith, how would he even have had a holocron? I thought they were Jedi teaching equipment.

Research indicates that King Adas learned of Holocron technology from the Rakata after the Sith repelled a Rakata invasion. Remember that this is the research of a Sith researcher. I will do my own research to back-up or supplant these claims.

Freedon Nadd destroyed Naga Sadow's spirit after he had assumed that he had learned everything from him.

Edit: King Adas was taught how to create Holocrons when visitors from the Infinite Empire arrived to Korriban. He built his own, but then had to fight off the subsequent Rakata invasion. The Holocron was lost until Nadd found it. After thousands of years, the Holocron fell into the hands of the Dark Lady Lumiya.

Edited by Aurbere

Freedon Nadd didn't destroy Naga Sadow's spirit. Bioware's histories video tineline said that The Emperor dispatched his Jedi infiltrators to seal his spirit in his tomb. Naga Sadow was said to have preserved his life in stasis for the centuries until he was awakened by Nadd, so I believe he was still alive by the time he found him. Edited by OldVengeance

Freedon Nadd didn't destroy Naga Sadow's spirit. Bioware's histories video tineline said that The Emperor dispatched his Jedi infiltrators to seal his spirit in his tomb. Naga Sadow was said to have preserved his life in stasis for the centuries until he was awakened by Nadd, so I believe he was still alive by the time he found him.

Yeah, I think I misinterpreted that slightly. Freedon Nadd attempted to destroy Sadow's spirit.

Naga Sadow kept himself in stasis until he was freed by Freedon Nadd. Then Sadow taught Freedon Nadd his Dark secrets. When Freedon Nadd felt that he had learned everything from Naga Sadow, he attempted to destroy him. Sadow survived to later possess one of those infiltrators.

I think Naga Sadow survived after that, but I'm not sure on that.

Naga Sadow's death is not covered in detail in the books I have but either the New Essentially Chronology or Jedi vs Sith say that he was alive when Nadd woke him, but was murdered by him afterward. So presumably it was that which was the reason he had a spirit that the Emperor sought to imprison.

Naga Sadow's death is not covered in detail in the books I have but either the New Essentially Chronology or Jedi vs Sith say that he was alive when Nadd woke him, but was murdered by him afterward. So presumably it was that which was the reason he had a spirit that the Emperor sought to imprison.

Yeah, I have Jedi vs. Sith and it doesn't cover Naga Sadow's state when Freedon Nadd found him. That's where I got slipped up. I could have grabbed one of my other books, but I had Jedi vs. Sith like right in front of me. :p

I think Naga Sadow was alive when Nadd found him. Later works seem to point to it.

Edit: Yeah, Jedi versus Sith doesn't give too much detail on Sadow's state, but seems to imply that he was alive. It says that he was in stasis.

Edit #2: Okay, Jedi vs. Sith says that Freedon Nadd apprenticed to Naga Sadow's spirit on Yavin 4. Needs to be revised, maybe?

Edited by Aurbere

This may be the cause of the confusion but can someone give me the low down on this Naga Sadow business? I understand he escaped the Hyperspace War alive and enslaved Massassi on Yavin 4. But then what? He suspended himself in statis? For one, why? Surely Naga Sadow would want to do evil Sith business rather than freeze himself waiting for, well what? It also seems to imply his body was not destroyed (which would be necessary for him to become a Force ghost) because it seems even more crazy to kill yourself. Unless of course he died naturally - which seems just as unlikely... I require knowledge and wisdom :confused:

The original Essential Chronology never actually mentions Naga Sadow's fate, but it does mention he put himself in suspended animation after going into hiding after the Great Hyperspace War and that he trained Freedon Nadd. The New Essential Chronology says that Nadd killed him. Although, I do remember some confusion about his fate in a debate I had online years ago too. So I am guessing the original source material doesn't go into detail about their time together. Whether Naga Sadow was alive when he taught Freedon Nadd or was just a spirit (it's confusing in the books), he eventually ended up as a sith spirit possessing the apprentice of that Sith infiltrator that the Emperor sent to seal him away in his tomb of Yavin IV.

This may be the cause of the confusion but can someone give me the low down on this Naga Sadow business? I understand he escaped the Hyperspace War alive and enslaved Massassi on Yavin 4. But then what? He suspended himself in statis? For one, why? Surely Naga Sadow would want to do evil Sith business rather than freeze himself waiting for, well what? It also seems to imply his body was not destroyed (which would be necessary for him to become a Force ghost) because it seems even more crazy to kill yourself. Unless of course he died naturally - which seems just as unlikely... I require knowledge and wisdom :confused:

Sadow's state of being is laborated upon too much. I assume he placed himself in stasis while he was alive, and then Nadd killed him. However, certain sourcebooks state him being a spirit when Nadd frees him. I'm just as confused on this subject as you are. :confused: