Patch 11/14/2019 added a delay on ability button updates (tool bar light up)

Slurmez

As title says, since the patch there is a 1 second delay between ability "updates" in terms of lighting up abilities in range or unable to be used.

For example, force leap into combat, all powers will be grayed out for 1 second even though you are in melee range (they will activate though).

Another example, get stunned, abilities show as lit up (useable) and it takes 1 second before they gray out to indicate they are unusable due to the stun.

Someone has added a flawed check somewhere or rearranged the check structure which is causing issues and update delays, there may be a reason for it but it looks terrible and while I am sure a lot of people are assuming this is a lag related issue and will go away this is not the case.

I'm having the same issue. Sometimes it's more than a second, sometimes less, but there's always a delay. You can reproduce this by just targeting something out of range to make them go dark, and then clearing your target to light them up again. I've seen a delay of up to 3 seconds before my abilities will light up / go dark.

I tried forcing a verify/repair a couple times by deleting the bitraider folder but it didn't help. It was working perfectly fine yesterday.

In addition to being stunned or just getting into range, the delay is also problematic if you run out of force and your abilities go dark, they won't light up as soon as you have enough force again. It's making combat difficult and annoying.

My Specs: i9 9900k, RTX2080ti, 32GB RAM, Win10 v1809, 175Mbps fiber at around 60ms latency (from central Canada) on the Satele Shan server.

Edit: Made a video

Edited by Percilator
Added video

Same issue here - this delay seriously affects rotation as abilities appear available off gcd but aren't, and vice versa, during the delay which seems to vary from .5 to 1 second. As others mentioned, it's 100% consistent, and nothing seems to fix it, and it started immediately after patching. Before patch this did not happen.

Confirmed in Europe as well. I play from northern France on The Leviathan (server physically in Ireland) with 32ms server ping and I see ability status display lag and a certain amount of ability activation lag as well(1). (i7 7820X, GTX 1080, *not* WiFi in the local network.)

(1) It made playing Skytrooper Central(2) even less entertaining than normal.

(2) KotFE Chapter X, duh.

I have this problem as well.

I have not played SWTOR in a while and so I was struggling to remember if the behavior was the same or not.

Basically I can charge into combat, try to press 1 for my normal attack and the game will say something like "You cannot use this skill while invisible" or something like that.

Then after a second I can attack normally and everything behaves as expected.

p.s. I am playing out of Germany, near Frankfurt

Edited by Ceonnyn

Having the same issue on my Scoundrel. Abilities are lighting up to show they can be used when they can't and dimming to say they can't be used when they can. Incredibly annoying, I'm having to spend more time watching my buff bar than anything else because of the weird delay.

As title says, since the patch there is a 1 second delay between ability "updates" in terms of lighting up abilities in range or unable to be used.

For example, force leap into combat, all powers will be grayed out for 1 second even though you are in melee range (they will activate though).

Another example, get stunned, abilities show as lit up (useable) and it takes 1 second before they gray out to indicate they are unusable due to the stun.

Someone has added a flawed check somewhere or rearranged the check structure which is causing issues and update delays, there may be a reason for it but it looks terrible and while I am sure a lot of people are assuming this is a lag related issue and will go away this is not the case.

Yeah i also noticed this delay. Pretty annoying for pvp tbh. This should be fixed ASAP

I have this problem as well.

I have not played SWTOR in a while and so I was struggling to remember if the behavior was the same or not.

Basically I can charge into combat, try to press 1 for my normal attack and the game will say something like "You cannot use this skill while invisible" or something like that.

Then after a second I can attack normally and everything behaves as expected.

p.s. I am playing out of Germany, near Frankfurt

Everyone has the problem, its not latency, its packet structure

Confirmation for Star Forge... and I can say without a doubt it's neither my connection nor my computer

I can literally get 10m closer to a mob before the UI updates, I can't fast switch targets to fire off an interrupt because the interrupt ability doesn't get enabled in a timely fashion. it's a serious problem.

Hey folks,

The team is looking into abilities not lightning up as intended. I will pass on more info as I have it and thank you for your reports.

-eric

it's getting worse. right now i was hitting target dummy on my operative and lacerete isn't lighting up even when i have tactical advantage in time. It starts to light up only in 1-2 seconds after iam actually get possibility of using it....sometimes if shows i can use some ability but in reality i CAN'T use it due to lack of tactical advantage points..

Edited by bladech

Hey folks,

The team is looking into abilities not lightning up as intended. I will pass on more info as I have it and thank you for your reports.

-eric

I made this thread with a lot more details before I saw this one : http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=971989

It goes beyond the abilities being grayed out. There is also a 2 second delay before they activate.

Can we also lose the “new” visual count timer on jugg/guardian force leap as it has no charges now to worry about.

It’s very distracting and hard to see when force leap will be back up because I’m partially colour blind.

A number count down would be better. Like we can do for the whole task bar, (which I hate and don’t use), but you could just put it on the one ability that has charges instead of that grayed swirling timer I can’t see (im sure I’m not the only one).

And if I had to guess, I would say it’s a root problem behind the grayed ability problems.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

it's getting worse. right now i was hitting target dummy on my operative and lacerete isn't lighting up even when i have tactical advantage in time. It starts to light up only in 1-2 seconds after iam actually get possibility of using it....sometimes if shows i can use some ability but in reality i CAN'T use it due to lack of tactical advantage points..

Yep, completely broken. Imagine if you are a new player or trying to play a new class. I can see people uninstalling if it’s not fixed fast and 6.0.2 will be too long to fix. In reality, I would say 48 hours will be too long for a lot of people. I really hope they are working through the weekend or they are going to lose a bunch of players who don’t know any better.

Are you also getting activation lag of about 1-2 seconds, even when they activate?

It goes beyond the abilities being grayed out. There is also a 2 second delay before they activate.

I can use most skills even when greyed out, but force charge is one that is not ready to be used even when the cd is done it seems.

Also there is a delay in updates for the distance to target. That only updates every couple of seconds, which is also annoying. All in all it's a really annoying bug and hope it gets resolved soon.

Hey folks,

-eric

With the last patch, quite unpleasant errors appeared. Many abilities become available only after 2-3 seconds after their "rollback". The ability panel itself also works with errors.

Besides the delay, I agree that the gray swirly thing is not an improvement. I went back and checked and I have 0.1 seconds on my cooldown "text" selected, but the swirly thing doesn't really tell me if I have time for another ability before the swirly one has cooled down. Please give me the text back.

Certain abilities with charges dont have the correct cooldown. Thermal Sensor Override is getting more than a dozen seconds longer than its intended cooldown. Its noticeable and a pain in the *** for all specs needing that ability .

The worse thing is, the only way you can actually get 2 charges of TSO is if you take the related bonus set for it, which nobody does, because not only its lacklusting, its also bugged and not working correctly -_-

I'm sure there are other instances of abilities with charges having longer cooldown than intended. I know its a different problem than the OP's one, but its related to the fact these abilities with charges seems a lot buggy

Edited by jambalayabungee

A lot of the problems I'm having is the UI seems to have been told to check distances every ~3 seconds.

As opposed to before and in fact since the start of the game where it was very rapid and slight fidgeting to get exact range was close enough to real time.

So I tab onto a tabbable target and run away or to them and I can see it SLOWLY updating distance every ~3 seconds or so.

I'm not even surprised my abilities are greyed out despite the target being in range, the UI is requesting a distance check so slowly it doesn't realise the distance is within range yet.

Cost saving? :rolleyes:

A lot of the problems I'm having is the UI seems to have been told to check distances every ~3 seconds.

It's not just a distance/range thing. There is a delay from when any ability should be usable to when it shows that it is usable.

Abilities that aren't usable until the target is under 30% HP won't light up for a few seconds after that point, gunslinger's trickshot that is only usable after using certain abilities doesn't light up for a few seconds (and that's only usable for 5 seconds, so you could totally miss that window unless you know it should be usable), abilities that just came off cooldown won't light up until a few seconds after, etc.

Getting stunned is the worst, all your abilities are lit up for a few seconds while you're stunned and stay dark for a few seconds after you are no longer stunned, and your CC breaker doesn't light up right away either. In a big mess of mobs and stuff it's hard to tell when you're stunned and when you're not. Smashing away at your buttons.. "Why is nothing working?!? Oh I'm stunned."

This needs to be fixed ASAP! Just revert the little changes you made to the UI, like adding commas to longer numbers. It's not like they were huge QoL improvements, or even very noticeable changes. Go back to the old UI code that worked for years until you figure out what you did to completely break it. Nobody cares about those little changes, but everybody cares that you broke it. This should be and needs to be a quick fix, and it's been a week.

It's not just a distance/range thing. There is a delay from when any ability should be usable to when it shows that it is usable.

Abilities that aren't usable until the target is under 30% HP won't light up for a few seconds after that point, gunslinger's trickshot that is only usable after using certain abilities doesn't light up for a few seconds (and that's only usable for 5 seconds, so you could totally miss that window unless you know it should be usable), abilities that just came off cooldown won't light up until a few seconds after, etc.

Getting stunned is the worst, all your abilities are lit up for a few seconds while you're stunned and stay dark for a few seconds after you are no longer stunned, and your CC breaker doesn't light up right away either. In a big mess of mobs and stuff it's hard to tell when you're stunned and when you're not. Smashing away at your buttons.. "Why is nothing working?!? Oh I'm stunned."

This needs to be fixed ASAP! Just revert the little changes you made to the UI, like adding commas to longer numbers. It's not like they were huge QoL improvements, or even very noticeable changes. Go back to the old UI code that worked for years until you figure out what you did to completely break it. Nobody cares about those little changes, but everybody cares that you broke it. This should be and needs to be a quick fix, and it's been a week.

What makes this even worse is the devs have gone dark. They made one mention about how they were aware of it and then nothing...I'm afraid we're gonna have to wait until the next big update to get it fixed which sucks because it makes the game almost unplayable.