Is it worth continuing to level my OP?

rushx

This isnt a QQ thread

I recently started a opperative class , and i cant say im that impressed with it while doing pve for example it seems i can only really do nice dmg for like 5 seconds then its just rubbish rifle shot spam until i have enough energy for moves, i keep stim boost up etc ...

i dunno maybe i playing it wrong?

ive not got high enough yet for hidden strike , im only lvl 31 and i think you need 36? anyway from reading posts sounds like its going to do even less dmg and energy is going to run out even faster?

should i just play another class or will this class be good enough for long fights? as i see it this class was designed for short 1 on 1 fights in pvp and get ***** pretty fast unless u can vanish, and in pve its like i run out of pewpew too fast

i have a 50 BH merc pyrotech and its just good at everything and i have no complaints

like i said this isnt a qq thread i can esily re-roll sorc or soemthing i just want toknow if leveling it to 50 wont be a waste of time

Edited by rushx

poo Class is poo

Edit: Edited for the kiddies

so your saying re-roll best option? damn how can a class get destroyed this early lol, if i make a sorc now which is likely it better not get nerfed into dust in 2 weeks liek this one did lol i will just go back to bh or play something else lol gw2 looking better and better :p

This is what operatives can do against equally geared players at the moment

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=240508&highlight=griefer+i

Even with the nerfs, they will still be very good. Choosing a class in MMO depends on your playstyle. For example, I hate playing basic warrior classes but a lot of people like them. If you like playing fotm classes then you will constantly reroll.

Well yeah, maybe you are playing it wrong. At least I don't recognize the hopeless situation. The weakness as I see it is how much you depend on TA and how slowly it is generated.

It does get better when you can open with Hidden Strike, not because of the damage alone, but because it gives you TA.

PS: I wouldn't believe anyone who calls this class FOTM. I sure didn't pick it for that reason, and unlike FOTM classes in general this one is underplayed. Least played on my server it seems.

Edited by thecoffeecup

i never new it was op when i first made it i got to like lvl 6 then decided to go bounty hunter but after getting 50 on bh i decided to finish the imperial agent mostly because i think the story is good, im finding it when compared to bounty hunter very gimped in pve..

for example i can take out a whole grp of npc's on bounty hunter in just 1 move 2death from above" and it has lots other cool moves

and agent is more for short fights 1on 1 which is why i find this "nerf" strange because they are taking away the purpose of a op, maybe it does huge crits i dunno but 20% seems insane and the fact after burst has gone the dmg is so low unlike other claases that can burst non stop ie tracer missile rail shot unload etc

actually this is a QQ thread indirectly. and obviously a knee jerk reaction to an incoming nerf.

i wonder how many paladins rerolled when blizzard "fixed" Seal of Command so that it didn't double the damage output the outcry was fierce. however if you reroll now you'll be rerolling constantly because that's what happens in an MMO

OP classes get nerfed. then other classes get nerfed to meet those classes and so on and so on. the balancing act never stops. that's why they call it BALANCING.

Edited by chrisftw

You have to ask yourself if you are having fun playing the class. Do you look forward to doing more quests and seeing where the story goes? If not then yes play something that you will have fun with. This is a game after all.

I would stop leveling this class based on how sucky the lacreation animation is and you're forced to look at it all the time as it's your bread and butter skill. You hit enemy with... a handle of your dagger or something like that. You can almost hurt yourself, not enemy.

Looks so lame I almost deleted my toon! ;)

Edited by Mindwormbified

I have 100% confidence in continuing with my concealment OP... the "nerf" is really a nerf to rinse and repeat "i probably win" burst damage *every* fight.

You still retain the ability to do back to back openers on high priority targets every 2 1/2 mins. Which no other class can do.

Played properly nobody gets away from your melee... if they dont trinket out of the knockdown, they risk being killed during it, if they DO... you have a nice 10m ranged immobilis/snare and they just blew their trinket, so yep they are being stabbed just as long as you USE YOUR SNARE, they wont get away.

"Positionally" backstab in this game actualy means 3 of the 4 sides, anything BUT front on... so thats cake to do repeatedly.

You get a 45 second recast self shield, which seems to be *very* effective at stopping damage for a few seconds, a 1 min recast 3 second range/melee defensive buff... lots of CC, good damage out of stealth PROVIDED you know how to use that snare.

Ive pretty much switched over to playin my OP as my main, the more i play it, the more tricks i realise it has, most of which have nothing to do with acid blade or hidden strike and will be untouched by 1.1.1

So yep...if you enjoy playing it, keep playing it. Its got *many* good skills beyond HS/AB, and even those remain "good" skills in 1.1.1.

Edited by blackadda

the only reason to level an operative/scoundrel now is for the quest line.

you will be useless in PVP

you are useless in end game PVE

So level it for the quest line and legacy points, then play it again 6 months from now when they buff it.

Just follow the wow formula for nerfs/buffs timeline and you cant go wrong.

who knows, maybe 6 months from now they will repair the broken talents also.

Dont listen to the idiot trolls, Ops are ******. BHs DFA is commonly known as the most overpowered ****** looking AoE skill in the game, lol. And theyre probably the easiest class, both ACs, to level. Going from that to an Op which requires a lot more finesse can be a little jarr-jarring.

Your companion matters a lot more as an Op than it does if youre used to using Mako on a BH. You have to keep them geared, youll likely even want to use a DPS companion once youre better at it.

Do not spam that quick shot skill, its an Energy dump. Use it only if youre at ~90% energy and nothing else is off CD.

Keep Stim Boost up.

Pick a weak target, burst them down, do NOT drop below 60% energy while soloing unless you have to. By now you can AoE, specifically your grenade that does a knockdown, on the same target your companion picked(which likely wont be the one you burst down). If there was an elite now is a good time to make use of AoE blind or stuns. Damage not taken is damage you dont have to heal.

Sometimes you may still have to heal, sometimes you wont. I went with a hybrid spec instead of full Concealment so healings pretty quick and gives me procs :p

Edited by Achromatis

Dont listen to the idiot trolls, Ops are ******. BHs DFA is commonly known as the most overpowered ****** looking AoE skill in the game, lol. And theyre probably the easiest class, both ACs, to level. Going from that to an Op which requires a lot more finesse can be a little jarr-jarring.

Your companion matters a lot more as an Op than it does if youre used to using Mako on a BH. You have to keep them geared, youll likely even want to use a DPS companion once youre better at it.

Do not spam that quick shot skill, its an Energy dump. Use it only if youre at ~90% energy and nothing else is off CD.

Keep Stim Boost up.

Pick a weak target, burst them down, do NOT drop below 60% energy while soloing unless you have to. By now you can AoE, specifically your grenade that does a knockdown, on the same target your companion picked(which likely wont be the one you burst down). If there was an elite now is a good time to make use of AoE blind or stuns. Damage not taken is damage you dont have to heal.

Sometimes you may still have to heal, sometimes you wont. I went with a hybrid spec instead of full Concealment so healings pretty quick and gives me procs :p

who the heck is talking about leveling?

I have 100% confidence in continuing with my concealment OP... the "nerf" is really a nerf to rinse and repeat "i probably win" burst damage *every* fight.

You still retain the ability to do back to back openers on high priority targets every 2 1/2 mins. Which no other class can do.

Played properly nobody gets away from your melee... if they dont trinket out of the knockdown, they risk being killed during it, if they DO... you have a nice 10m ranged immobilis/snare and they just blew their trinket, so yep they are being stabbed just as long as you USE YOUR SNARE, they wont get away.

"Positionally" backstab in this game actualy means 3 of the 4 sides, anything BUT front on... so thats cake to do repeatedly.

You get a 45 second recast self shield, which seems to be *very* effective at stopping damage for a few seconds, a 1 min recast 3 second range/melee defensive buff... lots of CC, good damage out of stealth PROVIDED you know how to use that snare.

Ive pretty much switched over to playin my OP as my main, the more i play it, the more tricks i realise it has, most of which have nothing to do with acid blade or hidden strike and will be untouched by 1.1.1

So yep...if you enjoy playing it, keep playing it. Its got *many* good skills beyond HS/AB, and even those remain "good" skills in 1.1.1.

1) the self shield blocks 2k~ damage.

2) our CC consists of a melee stun (as opposed to everyone else's melee stun) and a ranged mez that gives everyone 800 resolve in an aoe, even if we intent to mez only one target.

3) We're the easiest class to kite due to having no gap closer or sprint, even though 90% of our damage is in melee range.

4) we're by far the squishiest class due to most of our scrapper talents simply buffing our burst damage and not helping us in other crucial areas (sustained damage, survivability, utility).

5) our second damage spec (df/leth) is countered by any class that has a cleanse spell (operatives/scoundrels/commandos/mercs/sages/sorcs). Thus we're stuck being a one-trick pony, which isn't how everyone would like to play.

Edited by Auxili

so your saying re-roll best option? damn how can a class get destroyed this early lol, if i make a sorc now which is likely it better not get nerfed into dust in 2 weeks liek this one did lol i will just go back to bh or play something else lol gw2 looking better and better :p

Sorcs are headed for a nerf simply because whenever someone wants to reroll, it's the obvious choice. Now we have like half the playerbase playing sages and sorcs.

Unless you plan on healing there is no point in playing an Op.

Especially if you plan on healing, theres no point playing an Op

The second one is more correct, Sorc/Sage is by far a better healer in PvE, Voidstar, and Alderaan. In Huttball is is more than far better it is almost pointless to have any other healer unless they are a last resort to not finding a Sorc/Sage.

actually this is a QQ thread indirectly. and obviously a knee jerk reaction to an incoming nerf.

Funny, Developers can make knee jerk reactions to change the very dynamics behind an Advanced Class - perfectly acceptable.

OP wants to make a class change based on knee jerk nerf - KNEE JERKING QQ THREAD.

The Problem isn't the OP being weak (i'm not).

As DPS?

Rangeds dominate due to encounter design.

As a Healer?

Sorc rule supreme due to being ridiculously overpwoered thanks to the might mechanic being just plain better than Energy/Heat in 9 out of 10 cases..

So whats left?... I can try bursting someone down, just hope that he's alone (which he never should be?).

Oh and as for leveling:

I sthere any class that does not feel stupid when they see a Merc/Powertech using Death from Above?...

Edited by Velr