Jugg/mara pvp question

ElevenBfour

Hey folks, I have mained a Jugg for a long time now. I'm wanting to roll a Mara just for fun. I've always thought they looked cool, but since they can't tank, I haven't played them. I'm really considering getting into PvP because the PvE scene has lost my interest for the time being.

Basically my question is which spec's are considered the pvp specs for Jugg's and Mara's? If they are all somewhat viable, which specs are most newb friendly in learning to pvp with? Lastly, what are their roles in pvp? More offensive or defensice i.e. capturing nodes then moving on or good at node defense?

Thanks much.

For duels any of the specs are good but not great - some swear by watchman but the best I've seen lately was combat. Don't expect to win tournaments on the ac. For wz and arenas I usually go concentration/fury because they have the best cc-immunity.

For pve watchman is the best dps in the game and because of self heals is also the best at solo content like the EC and heroic star fortresses.

Hey folks, I have mained a Jugg for a long time now. I'm wanting to roll a Mara just for fun. I've always thought they looked cool, but since they can't tank, I haven't played them. I'm really considering getting into PvP because the PvE scene has lost my interest for the time being.

Basically my question is which spec's are considered the pvp specs for Jugg's and Mara's? If they are all somewhat viable, which specs are most newb friendly in learning to pvp with? Lastly, what are their roles in pvp? More offensive or defensice i.e. capturing nodes then moving on or good at node defense?

Thanks much.

Thats an interesting question. I would try to learn pvp on a class you know and are intimate with.

I pvped as a jug tank since 1.2. Its most effective when you park yourself in a group, find a healer to set as your focus target and concentrate on keeping your team alive. So your sat on south in nov coast, next to your snipers and the sorc healer. Enemy shadow unstealths on yr healer so you backhand him while your healers recovering from the stun then keep him a force push while yr healer keeps casting. The enemy guardian leaps on the merc standing next to the sniper and as he leaps in the air to smash the pair of them you taunt him, select who he is targeting (you do use target of target right?) and then guard his target. What are you not doing? your not standing alone at east. Your not trying to solo west. You most defintely ARE NOT half way to the enemy team gyard chasing some low on health squishy thats trying to make a run for it.

I have played a fair bit of rage JUG lately. Its a brokenly overpowered stormtrooper that can do something very few classes can: when its a 5v5 meeting engagment someone has to go first. That someone will likely eat several stuns and the focus fire of the entire enemy team and its highly unlikely even with a healer focusing you your staying alive. Unless your a jug. Don't be afraid to storm enemy held nodes even if its 1v2. I win these. walking away from wzs with 20 kills 13 kill blows 4 solo kills for 5 deaths, these kind of stats(reasonably common for me these last few weeks) show that the combination of extreme burst great mobilty and extremely strong short term defense makes the rage jug a fantastic assault weapon. That said where are you not effective? Your wasted guarding a node. Any kind of long term attrition fight with lots of healers and guards don't play to your strengths either. Your def cds will run out making you vulnerable. I don't do as well versus premades who often either focus target me or lock me down in the 4*4s.

Assuming you understand how to play the spec the most newbie frly spec will be the one that most fits your natural style. You won't know or be able to tell us that until you played a few dozen games then had chance to reflect on what you find yourself doing in the warzones: do you guard nodes? do you attack enemy held nodes by yourself? do you stick with the crowd? do you like being first in? Do you like using taunts and disrupting enemy set pieces or do you prefer to tunnel that commando until it falls over? hope this helps.

I like Combat/Carnage.

A lot of Maras swear by Fury because of the CC immunity, but I've never been a fan of the spec.

My favorite Jug spec right now is vengeance, but I haven't played Rage since 3.0.

It depends on your play style. I like both jugg dps specs and both preform well although sometimes it feels like I cant kill anything as veng. For mara all specs are good but I particularly haven't like anni much since 3.0. Carnage is the spec I find the most fun. Fury is similar to carnage just its burst is a little less slower but more consistent. Edited by -BlackDragon-

It depends on your play style. I like both jugg dps specs and both preform well although sometimes it feels like I cant kill anything as veng. For mara all specs are good but I particularly haven't like anni much since 3.0. Carnage is the spec I find the most fun. Fury is similar to carnage just its burst is a little less slower but more consistent.

As someone whose played both how does fury compare to rage? in theory it should be similar but I haven't tried it. I find I can't survive on a mara.

As someone whose played both how does fury compare to rage? in theory it should be similar but I haven't tried it. I find I can't survive on a mara.

They are very similar. Im not sure but I think fury pulls off a bit more dps than rage. You can actually survive longer on a mara if you rotate you dcds right, the extra resist in fury helps too.

They are very similar. Im not sure but I think fury pulls off a bit more dps than rage. You can actually survive longer on a mara if you rotate you dcds right, the extra resist in fury helps too.

Fury is just about the worst dps spec in the game vs a target dummy. Rage is better at damage. But fury has much more cc immunity and mobility (and group utility - sins and sorcs on your team will randomly thank/cheer/kiss you if you remember to keep your transcendence on cd). I see plenty of fury maras topping wz/arena scoreboards.

For unranked warzones, any spec for either AC is viable. For ranked, Jugg is one of the worst. I think that there are maybe 2-3 tier 1 ranked Juggs on the harbinger. That's it.

Regarding Jugg, I only play Vengeance. I can't stand the Rage play-style for some reason. I don't really care for Immortal, either. I've played about 120 solo ranked games as Vengeance this season. It can do OK, but there are plenty of enemy team compositions that you have zero chance against.

Regarding Mara, I generally do the following: solo = Fury, in a group = Carnage. I don't really play Anni in pvp, I reserve that for operations. Some of the most miserable pvp experiences that I have ever had were when I played Anni solo. Some people can do pretty well with it, just not me. Like I said, I play Anni all the time in operations, so it's not like I have no idea how to play it. I just haven't figured it out for pvp. Fay'tality is probably the most well known solo ranked Annihilation die-hard on the harbinger server. He does pretty well.

Carnage is quick twitch, fast, high burst. You have periods of filler and then short burst windows of pure...carnage. It's really fun when you manage to unload on people within a Gore window, but it's really frustrating when you get hit with a stun, knockback, mez, enemy out of range, etc. during the Gore window. So it is easy to be shut down and made ineffective at times. You have to try and anticipate when your enemy is going to do something that negates your burst and hold off using it until the right time.

Fury doesn't have quite as good burst damage or sustained dps as Carnage, but it's still pretty good. The real power of Fury is the fact that you have a bunch of instant hitting abilities that cannot be interrupted, and you have a 6 second CC immunity every 30 seconds that you can choose when to apply. Again, this comes down to anticipating what your enemy is going to do. For example, in unranked warzones, Sorcs love to use a knockback or hard stun immediately after you leap to them. Knowing this, you can apply Force Crush immediately after landing on them and make them waste their CC. Since they wasted their CC, they can't use it again on you anytime soon. This increases your uptime on the target and therefore boosts the amount of damage that you can effectively apply in a given period of time. This closes the gap on Carnage, since you would have likely been incapacitated for a few seconds and possibly wasted a Gore window.

For group ranked, I would say that Fury is not viable. Carnage is great when paired with another high burst class such as Marksman Sniper or AP PT. I think that Anni could work when paired with another DoT pressure class such as Madness Sorc or Hatred Sin.

My recommendation is to play all three Mara specs, but I think that you will have the most early success as Fury. Carnage is more difficult to play well, Anni is well...I'm not sure what to make of Anni. You'll just have to try it and see if you can have more success than I have. For Jugg, play whatever you like the best.

Edited by teclado

To add to what teclado said, I like using the Saber Ward utility on Carnage.

It gets you 6 seconds of control immunity when you pop Saber Ward, so it can be pretty useful for tunneling Sorcs in regs.

All jugg specs are good right now. I play every single one and it's real hard to mess up.

Veng can get 3k dps easy

Rage's burst is insane, 26k furious strikes etc

Immortal High End Crit/power is the current meta

As for Mara there are only 2 specs I would play, Fury & Ahni

I find carnage too counterable, but again this is my opinion. I've seen great carnage maras put up awesome numbers but if people know how to counter them, they will and can pretty easilly.

Fury is a nice burst spec really strong. Same as rage basically. High numbers etc. My personal favorite.

Ahni I haven't played but when I see people play it, they are amazing with it. It's a good dot spec with a little self heal.

If you want to know what to play, well that's all on you man. The 5 I listed are all good specs. It's about your play style and how you like to play.

I find that I have a much easier time staying on target with fury due to the various speed boosters. Rage seems extremely slow in comparison, but I just started trying jugg so I know I'm not playing it to its potential.

For jug play vengeance.

Day one jug here and vengeance is badapples! rage has few big hits then its down, but vengeance will keep you in the game with good enough tanking and great damage! And its overall versatility and utility are unmatched! Playing vengeance is fcking fun and its easy just like everything else in this game!

If you are playing a sith warrior, Vengeance Juggernaut is the single most fun thing you can do.

Edited by ridge_guardian