Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Pay 2 win crowd taking over

Brewski
12.06.2013 , 12:12 PM | #231
It's only pay to win if there is no way to gain the exact same advantage through regular play. All ships have a maximum level of upgrades that can be attained only through playing. Spending cartel coins can get you there quicker, but it's the same destination in the end, since there's nothing outside of cosmetics that's exclusive the market.

I'm a casual player, and my ships are nowhere near fully upgraded yet, and yet I haven't noticed a sudden downshift in my performance. Either I'm not being matched against fully upgraded enemies or being fully upgraded doesn't give them enough advantage to stop me from playing and having a good time.

GSF is not in any way pay to win, and if other players want to blow large sums of cash on speeding up their progression or pimping their ride, I'm all for it. More money to fund future expansions.

Strixs
12.06.2013 , 12:15 PM | #232
Quote: Originally Posted by Yorumi View Post
If we're going to say an exp boost is an unfair advantage then someone who plays more hours per day/week/month has the same unfair advantage.
We better pull a china up in here and restrict how many hours people are allowed to play swtor so there arent no unfair advantamages goin ons.

liradarc
12.06.2013 , 12:30 PM | #233
This thread is amazing.

As people have pointed out, it's possible to 'game' the daily/weekly awards by unlocking lots of ships early, doing matches on each of them, and then spending lots and lots of CCs to reallocate ship requisition so you can upgrade a single ship.

That's not too much different than people playing a bunch of different characters to get PvP dailies on them, buying legacy gear, and using the commendations from multiple characters to gear up one character.

It still takes a heck of a lot of time. And, in this case, a lot of CCs.

However, the end result is no different. The advantage you gain by exerting all this effort (and CC coins) is fleeting. Even if you speed ahead for a few days on a specific ship, other players will catch up shortly since component upgrade trees only go so far.

And from what I've seen in games, piloting skill matters a lot more than upgrades. It's hardly a pay-to-win setup.

GalacticKegger
12.06.2013 , 01:03 PM | #234
Quote: Originally Posted by liradarc View Post
This thread is amazing.

As people have pointed out, it's possible to 'game' the daily/weekly awards by unlocking lots of ships early, doing matches on each of them, and then spending lots and lots of CCs to reallocate ship requisition so you can upgrade a single ship.

That's not too much different than people playing a bunch of different characters to get PvP dailies on them, buying legacy gear, and using the commendations from multiple characters to gear up one character.

It still takes a heck of a lot of time. And, in this case, a lot of CCs.

However, the end result is no different. The advantage you gain by exerting all this effort (and CC coins) is fleeting. Even if you speed ahead for a few days on a specific ship, other players will catch up shortly since component upgrade trees only go so far.

And from what I've seen in games, piloting skill matters a lot more than upgrades. It's hardly a pay-to-win setup.
↑↑↑ This ... all day. ↑↑↑ But it won't prevent "flawed logic" (read: contradictory perspective) attacks. That's just how some people roll.
Can we please just have our pre-KotFE SWTOR MMORPG back?

Hassat-Hunter
12.06.2013 , 01:13 PM | #235
Not to mention cant face that they're just bad, and others are better sometimes.

No they had to get there with unfair advantages, and pay to win and buying a lot of unlocks.
Cause admitting lack of skill, well, that's a bridge to far is it now.

Vandicus
12.06.2013 , 01:28 PM | #236
Might I point out that you get daily/weekly credit on ALL ships, even the ones you haven't unlocked. So if you unlock them later, you have access to the requisition anyways(pooling requisition doesn't really seem like p2win). Arguably they do get an extra 1500 req/day if they unlock both CM ships, but that's honestly a trivial amount.
Darasuum kote ner vode!
Darasuum kote Mando'ade!

Atamasama
12.06.2013 , 01:39 PM | #237
Quote: Originally Posted by rnmedic View Post
P2W is P2W no matter how small the advantage. You should not be able to use money to upgrade gear or stats.
Again, the entire game works that way. You can use money to buy gear that upgrades your stats by purchasing Cartel Coins. That's how the game has operated since it went F2P. If that's P2W to you, and you can't deal with it, then this isn't your game. It's not like Galactic Starfighter suddenly introduced the idea. In actuality, CC gives much less of an advantage in GSF than in the ground game because what you can get with it is pretty limited. Right now, CCs will get you 2 exclusive ships (which give you no advantage over other ships except granting you faster reqs) and the ability to use the same reqs you still have to earn in a more versatile way (share between ships or use to buy new ships or unlock crewmembers). Unlike the ground game, you can't spend CCs to directly provide upgrades for your ships, no matter what you have to earn those.

Basically, imagine that the ground game had no gear. No weapons, no armor, no implants. You just had a character who needed to gain XP to level up and as you leveled you chose skills and talents That's essentially what your ships are in GSF. The way CC req transfers work would be like taking experience your alts earned and being able to shift them to a single character. That character would level up faster, sure, but you'd still need to log onto those alts and grind that XP out.

When you look at it from that perspective, GSF is much less "Pay2Win" than the rest of the game is.
⋐‖║╿╿╿╿▀▀°‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾)

Atamasama
12.06.2013 , 01:40 PM | #238
Quote: Originally Posted by liradarc View Post
However, the end result is no different. The advantage you gain by exerting all this effort (and CC coins) is fleeting.
Haha... "Fleeting".
⋐‖║╿╿╿╿▀▀°‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾)

AlrikFassbauer
12.06.2013 , 01:44 PM | #239
Quote: Originally Posted by Hassat-Hunter View Post
Not to mention cant face that they're just bad, and others are better sometimes.
I can !

Never saw my entries here ? http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=702894
Sounds like ignorance on your side.
Complex minds
will create
Complex problems.

TheRampage
12.06.2013 , 01:49 PM | #240
Can somebody explain me requisition, awarded after each game? We are trying to figure it out, not calculating bonus etc. DOesnt make sense, not based on medals or anything
Raphâel - Not Good Enough