So is TORHEAD dead?

ZionHalcyon

It seems that way, because there are no updates - I find people have to post corrections in the comments section because it really isn't getting updated anymore.

Its a shame, but I almost think that it would work better as a tool like Wikipedia that allows the community to make edits, since at least for the heroics, it seems like 90% of the time they are still using the rewards from beta, when almost all of those have been changed.

Anyone know the deal? So much unfulfilled promise there.

It never had a chance to get off the ground as long as Bioware was unable to support addons.

thats a lazy crock.

There are plenty of other sites for other games that have great community investment without game add on support that still provide great and accurate information, usually by allowing the community playing the game to take ownership.

Bioware didnt make TORHEAD so it isn't incumbant for Bioware to support it. So get out of here with that blame garbage - other places for other games have done a better job with less.

Edited by ZionHalcyon

thats a lazy crock.

There are plenty of other sites for other games that have great community investment without game add on support that still provide great and accurate information, usually by allowing the community playing the game to take ownership.

Bioware didnt make TORHEAD so it isn't incumbant for Bioware to support it. So get out of here with that blame garbage - other places for other games have done a better job with less.

Torhead is based on wowhead, which is just an item database site. It's a place where you can go look up a quest and see what the rewards are, or get information on the quest to help you finish it, or whatever. It's a place to look for items, and find out where who drops them. Stuff like that.

Show me an example of one of the "plenty of other sites" for other games that does that without somehow automating the process. Darth Hater is one of the main TOR sites around, and it's really just there for self-promotion through podcasts and articles. If you go to their database section is just as barren as torhead.

Torhead is based on wowhead, which is just an item database site. It's a place where you can go look up a quest and see what the rewards are, or get information on the quest to help you finish it, or whatever. It's a place to look for items, and find out where who drops them. Stuff like that.

Show me an example of one of the "plenty of other sites" for other games that does that without somehow automating the process. Darth Hater is one of the main TOR sites around, and it's really just there for self-promotion through podcasts and articles. If you go to their database section is just as barren as torhead.

http://ddowiki.com/ - great example of community coming together to create something everyone can use to look up and research things - very few gaps and if there are, then it can be filled in by a willing member of the community.

There's one for starters.

You want more, look it up. Because if one example isn't enough for you, then 50 won't be enough for you - it will always be "oh yeah, name another one". I've been around the internet block long enough to know that much.

Edited by ZionHalcyon

http://ddowiki.com/ - great example of community coming together to create something everyone can use to look up and research things - very few gaps and if there are, then it can be filled in by a willing member of the community.

There's one for starters.

You want more, look it up. Because if one example isn't enough for you, then 50 won't be enough for you - it will always be "oh yeah, name another one". I've been around the internet block long enough to know that much.

That's a wiki, not a database site. If all you want is a wiki, stop being lazy and go edit http://swtor.wikia.com. Torhead is a database site.

Almost all the item stat and graphical information on WoWhead was data mined, NOT derived from inputs gathered by add-ons. The main exception is drop rates for items. Torhead could have done the same, especially since it is the same company. Either they decided it was too difficult to do, or EA filed some sort of injunction preventing them from data mining the game.

Almost all the item stat and graphical information on WoWhead was data mined, NOT derived from inputs gathered by add-ons. The main exception is drop rates for items. Torhead could have done the same, especially since it is the same company. Either they decided it was too difficult to do, or EA filed some sort of injunction preventing them from data mining the game.

You are correct, but it's only half the equation. They datamine the client for all of the asset ID numbers, but they still don't have a relational database. Meaning they don't know where those items are found, or what NPC's have which quests, etc. They need the player addon to tell them that information.

So yes, the client has the data, but the databases linking all of that data together in useful ways are located on their servers. Without access to the servers, you need an addon to track it that way.

Torhead been dead since.. well the start of the game, http://db.darthhater.com/ is so much better.

Dont care about comment, at least its updated.

It has the same problems Torhead does, namely that the data is very incomplete due to having to be updated by hand. It's useful, but no more reliable. Like, some quests have been filled out to list rewards, others are completely devoid of anything beyond the quest description. There are tons of items listed with no drop locations, etc..

It has the same problems Torhead does, namely that the data is very incomplete due to having to be updated by hand. It's useful, but no more reliable. Like, some quests have been filled out to list rewards, others are completely devoid of anything beyond the quest description. There are tons of items listed with no drop locations, etc..

I'm guessing this guy is a former torhead worker who's bitter - at least he's coming off that way.

Since quest reward change depending on the class and sometime the advance class, you just have to work on it, it work like a wiki, the user need to update stuff themselves.

More interested in items anyway, quest DB is not needed for me so i dont work on that.

Il blame the lazy on that.

Edited by ElitehunterDS

Since quest reward change depending on the class and sometime the advance class, you just have to work on it, it work like a wiki, the user need to update stuff themselves.

More interested in items anyway, quest DB is not needed for me so i dont work on that.

Il blame the lazy on that.

^ This.

It has nothing to do with automated datamining and even less to do with allowing mods (which isn't going to happen) and everything to do with the lazy. Torhead has plenty of data entries - all empty. You name any random item it's probably there, even if it isn't actually in the game, but there's nothing but the entry: no comments, no screenshots, no videos, no feedback or discussion.

Granted, Darthhater seems to have emerged as the database of preference, but that's not the core of the problem. No one can be arsed to contribute anything anymore. They're all sitting around feeling entitled and waiting for others to distribute handouts.

• 2 years later...

it's only now* that it appears actually dead, as in one can't even go there to contribute anything; the bookmarks i had (mostly for companion convo/mission chains) are either 404 or redirect to the homepage here. I'd been using it to speed up my personal catalogue of missions and class/companion dialogue trees. there had been a lot of companion reaction data accumulated there, rather sloppily in some respects (misleading people as to how much affection or how many dark/light points could be obtained from a particular tree) but still an impressive amount of info.

also got nothing useful from the darthhater link above (yes, i know this is thread-necro, but it's high on the hitlist of any reference to torhead). has there been some kind of crack-down? is a particular group (or their parent company) trying to protect their mystique? :rolleyes:

*"now" as in, i had taken a couple of months off until yesterday, but before that period began, torhead was still functional, such as it was.

Edited by wedgeyulwei
clarification

As I understand it the people who used to contribute to Torhead decided that with 3.0 they weren't up to cataloging all the updates and decided rather than keep a now outdated database up they would pull the plug. There is supposed to be another group trying to make something to take Torhead's place but I haven't personally seen it yet.

I'm guessing this guy is a former torhead worker who's bitter - at least he's coming off that way.

I doubt it - just calling a spade a spade.

Torhead was based on Wowhead, which at its core allows one to look up any item, quest, NPC, etc in WoW, with community content build around the database for stuff like comments, guides, updates, forums and such.

The Wowhead database (and other similar DBs for WoW) are mostly populated through automated data-mining of the WoW client, with sites like Wowhead going a step further and using an add-on run by players to gather server side data to estimate drop rates, as well as using WoW's web / auction API to pull auction information.

Sadly, every site I've seen trying to replicate even basic database functionality for TOR items has been half done with lots of missing and incorrect entries, and has typically been abandoned after a short period.

Up next to try is torcommunity.com, which seems to have worked out getting a decent database populated with TOR items.

Only time will tell if they are successful in keeping an updated and complete database, as well as updated information on things like progression and leader boards (for the record, their progression data hasn't been updated since Jan).

Edited by DawnAskham

As I understand it the people who used to contribute to Torhead decided that with 3.0 they weren't up to cataloging all the updates and decided rather than keep a now outdated database up they would pull the plug. There is supposed to be another group trying to make something to take Torhead's place but I haven't personally seen it yet.

Nah, they'd fallen behind before 3.0.

from their twitter they said they closed the doors to TORhead and offered http://torcommunity.com/ as an ALT along with swtor on reddit , as for them not updating, I think it's mostly due to the fact that ZAM the company that owned TORhead decided to pull that plug. They do have a large vast majority of games they update on more so then SWTOR. sad to say, but it's the truth, this is the game list for ZAM http://www.zam.com/gamelist.html