We need better ways to get high level mats.

Subatia

I'm trying to proc a level 49 piece of gear with a mod slot.

I need 4 pieces of Mandalorian Iron, which seems to only come from abundant Underworld Trading missions.

As of the time of my post, all 5 of my level 49-50 UT missions are for companion gifts.:(

So, I will have to wait til they reset.

Afterwards, I will have to HOPE that a rich Underworld Metal mission pops.

After waiting an hour, I will have to hope that I get 1 or 2 pieces of Iron.

This repeats until I have the 4 pieces I need.

Then I wait 45 minutes and hope the mod slot procs. (12 pieces so far, 0 procs)

Can we has an improvement to this system?

Suggestions:

- a short "mission" with an approximate equal cost that re-randomifies our missions.

- Some sort of moderately expensive item(s) that guarantees a mod slot or a recipe if we RE an item.

My 2 creds.

Edited by Subatia

I'm trying to proc a level 49 piece of gear with a mod slot.

I need 4 pieces of Mandalorian Iron, which seems to only come from rich Underworld Trading missions.

As of the time of my post, all 5 of my level 49-50 UT missions are for companion gifts.:(

Afterwards, I will have to HOPE that a rich Underworld Metal mission pops.

After waiting an hour, I will have to hope that I get 1 or 2 pieces of Iron.

This repeats until I have the 4 pieces I need.

Then I wait 45 minutes and hope the mod slot procs. (12 pieces so far, 0 procs)

Can we has an improvement to this system?

Suggestions:

- a short "mission" with an approximate equal cost that re-randomifies our missions.

- Some sort of moderately expensive item(s) that guarantees a mod slot or a recipe if we RE an item.

My 2 creds.

No no no. It's totally WAI. See, you're supposed to be thinking long term here.

Couple years at least. You're not supposed to be frustrated and disheartened when you burn repeatedly through stacks of expensive mats and get zilch to show for it.

That's FUN, sir! FUN™! Tomorrow will be a new day, and you can try again!

Crew mission that you need not showing up? Why, good sir, imagine how pleased you will be when it finally does!

And if it fails after waiting 30-60 minutes for it to yield results? Why, that's just prolonging your PLEASURE, sir! You can try AGAIN!

And again...

...And again.

And just imagine; just -attempt- to CONCEIVE of how giddy you will be when, possibly after weeks of dilligently striving, you FINALLY get the thing you were looking to get and...sir, you just don't understand how thrilled you will be.

It will change your life forever. You're just not uh...not thinking properly yet.

Gotta think long term. Yeah. And it will teach you so much about patience! Wouldn't you like to be thought of as patient, sir?

But the best; oh sir, the BEST; is yet to be shown! When you can make level 50 things, oh goodness, you will get to go do hardmodes quite probably a lot to get the materials to craft them!

It's like MAGIC sir! Magic and RAINBOWS. It just takes all the fun of absolutely everything and marges it into this big, beautiful...FUN MONSTER!

YEAH!

*This message brought to you by Absolute Sarcasm Inc.*

I find boarding or exiting my ship resets the missions I have available. Go to your hangar and simply board / exit your ship a few times until you have all your companions assigned to missions you like.

Why are you RE'ing level 49 items? They're only useful for one level. Not worth your effort.

Rofl this is not true. My level 49 purple augmented earpiece is as good as the rakata one from the dailies.

Edit : you dont get them from rich underworld trading btw. You get them from abundant.

This applies to all the green REable level 49 gear. They are EXTREMELY good. With an augment, theyre as good as columi gear if they have the right stats you need.

Edited by Leilei

Why are you RE'ing level 49 items? They're only useful for one level. Not worth your effort.

This.

If you really need Mandalorian Iron, there's a ton on the GTN (at least on my server).

But, why craft with it? Usually the crafters are so stupid, they'll sell an item that uses 4 pieces of iron (along with a ton of other mats) for 35-40k. When it would have been far more profitable to sell the Materials buy themselves. And its a level 49 purple item! Why spend that time REing things to learn the recipe when you are selling at less than the cost of the mats!

If there's a ton of Mando Iron on your AH, it means demand is low. Just because people post a piece for 30K, it doesn't mean it's selling.

Augmented epics sell comfortably for 100-125K because for some specs, they are better itemized than what drops in HM flashpoints. You can get that money in a day of dailies, so for many people it's a good investment.

Mandalorian comes from missions that your companion crit

Rich (wrongly named, there arent truly Rich), Moderate - 4 blue, 2 purple

Abundant - 6 blue, 3 purple

More certain method is to buy purple (340) underworld missions on GTN (drop from slicing) which will drop lvl 5 gift, 8 blue and 4 purple iron and silk. It even have a chance to crit making it lvl 5 purple gift, 10 blue and 5 purple iron and silk.

If there's a ton of Mando Iron on your AH, it means demand is low. Just because people post a piece for 30K, it doesn't mean it's selling.

Augmented epics sell comfortably for 100-125K because for some specs, they are better itemized than what drops in HM flashpoints. You can get that money in a day of dailies, so for many people it's a good investment.

Mando iron goes for 8-9k, I sell it out within a day.

The same person that buys it, then lists purple level 49 armor mods for 35k (they use 4 btw).

How many tries does it take to get an augment slot on a weapon?

Edited by RycheMykola

*This message brought to you by Absolute Sarcasm Inc.*

Thanks. I always wanted to figure out how the ignore function worked here. I never had a compelling reason to before. :rolleyes:

I find boarding or exiting my ship resets the missions I have available. Go to your hangar and simply board / exit your ship a few times until you have all your companions assigned to missions you like.

This appears to work.

Rofl this is not true. My level 49 purple augmented earpiece is as good as the rakata one from the dailies.

Edit : you dont get them from rich underworld trading btw. You get them from abundant.

This applies to all the green REable level 49 gear. They are EXTREMELY good. With an augment, theyre as good as columi gear if they have the right stats you need.

Thanks for the tip about abundant. Changed my original post to look less dumb.

Rare items are meant to be rare, hard to find, and/or craft, else crafting would be pretty pointless and the economy would get watered down. I'd rather keep playing the game and doing dailies for 30 minutes with a decent chance to get the mat, than spend 30 minutes farming nodes hoping one will proc.

How many of the purple cloths does it take to make? What is the price per cloth on the GTN?

How many items do you make before you get a proc on that?

I'm at work but IIRC, it only takes 2 or 4 (it is only a Sash afterall). I've crafted about 20 of these so far and 5 have gotten an augment slot.

I'm not sure what the price is on the cloth but I haven't had to purchase much. I had most of it from Underworld Trading.

This.

If you really need Mandalorian Iron, there's a ton on the GTN (at least on my server).

But, why craft with it? Usually the crafters are so stupid, they'll sell an item that uses 4 pieces of iron (along with a ton of other mats) for 35-40k. When it would have been far more profitable to sell the Materials buy themselves. And its a level 49 purple item! Why spend that time REing things to learn the recipe when you are selling at less than the cost of the mats!

I craft a ton of purples trying to proc ones with augment slots, its better to sell the none-augment ones for 35-45k than RE them.

It's just another grind. Bioware found new ways to hide the grind, but it's still there. Instead of making us gather the materials ourselves, our companions do it, thus reducing the grind. So they throw in the grind by increasing the time it takes to get the mats, the amount of credits it costs goes up, so you have to grind away on more missions to make more credits to afford the sheer amount of missions and time it takes.

It's all a grind.

Can you imagine the cost of RE'ing to legendary quality, and the time it would take to farm the materials?

I'm no longer selling to others. I'm only making items for myself and my companions until things change, and I was one of the FEW that was selling regularly at decent prices. I'm going to sit back and let the other crafters who are trying to undercut burn themselves out running missions for the losses they take on the GTN to make items that are getting rarer (with each nerf) and harder to come by every day.

The economy stops with me. if other people want to sell at a loss, then go ahead and hop on the hamster wheel and see how long it takes and how much you spend doing it.

I'm all for selling at a reasonable price, but I'm not going to take a loss just to keep the prices reasonable. I felt others were charging too much at 50k for a single color crystal, but right now, that's about right with this latest mission materials nerf.

It takes about 4 hours of running missions to come up with 4 Corusca Gems, enough to make 1 color crystal. And it's not even a rare color. Just a artifact level (not legendary) mod.

Most of the people who are selling these items just have no idea how much they are undercutting themselves, but with this latest nerf, they are going to find out pretty quickly.

On the GTN 10 corusca gems run for 180k. It takes 4 to make an artifact quality color crystal. At 18k per Corusca Gem, that's 72k for just 1 mat to make them.

Then the color crystal is sold on the GTN for 24k (lowest price I've seen so far).

That's a huge loss. Obtaining them by ONLY running missions, and you're talking about 3-4 hours if you're unlucky, and having to send out your companions on lockbox and companion gift missions to get the Gemstone missions to repopulate. and you are spending about 20-30k a night just for one material, to make 1 gem.

It's not worth selling. and it's definitely NOT worth RE'ing unless you are doing it for yourself or your companions.

Edited by CriticalMasses

That was a very fast sell at 60k on the GTN. Non-augmented ones go for 20-25k easily as well.

If I am not wrong, this is T2 item, init? Feel free to go up with your prize. I successfully sell veracity carbon fiber with augment slot for 120k.

Character at lvl 50 will make 250k just by doing daily quests.

How many of the purple cloths does it take to make? What is the price per cloth on the GTN?

How many items do you make before you get a proc on that?

Synthweaving Belts are the cheapest items to make (2xSilks, Fragments, Crystal, Craft Material.) I sell Supremacy Force-Master Sashs all day long for 30k and the Mastercrafts for 60k. Soooooooooo I buy Denebrilian Star Silks for 1k a piece, takes two to make a belt. Factor in 3 Arch missions and 1 UT mission for Nanosilk and you're looking at a 10k investment tops. 20k profit? Sounds good to me.

Oh yeah, that lvl 49 item beats the crap out of Tionese.

If I am not wrong, this is T2 item, init? Feel free to go up with your prize. I successfully sell veracity carbon fiber with augment slot for 120k.

Yeah. It's a tier 2. I really had no idea what to charge for it so I just guessed with 60k and let it fly. The one I put up tonight will be priced much higher.

250k is a little (ok, a lot) bit inflated. It's more like 150k. In any event, I suppose it would depend on the server.

I see overpriced 126 rated crafted items sit on the GTN all day long (light armor that is). I price stuff to move, especially when it's so cheap to make. 500% return on an investment for Mastercraft items seems pretty good to me.

Its closer to about 160k including loot. Unless you are able to sell the mods from the heroics for a decent amount. 140k-ish from the daily quest turn in themselves.

To the OP - you should be doing pretty much only lvl 340 Purple UT missions. Trying to rely on the ones that populate for mats will make you pull your hair out.

On our server, there are usually plenty of UT missions ranging from 15-30k in price a piece. I try to not buy anything over 25k, but you get 4-5 mandalorian iron from them and I think 8 ciridium too.

Edited by uebermann

To the OP - you should be doing pretty much only lvl 400 Purple UT missions at 50. Trying to rely on the ones that populate for mats will make you pull your hair out.

On our server, there are usually plenty of UT missions ranging from 15-30k in price a piece. I try to not buy anything over 25k, but you get 4-5 mandalorian iron from them and I think 8 ciridium too.

I buy all 340 UT missions I see for 15k-20k. I get the Silk I need for sashes, sell the iron for 28k-35k and then I still have the blue mats and the companion gift. Nothing beats profit. :)

Edited by Screaming_Ziva

I've tested this for about an hour and it does work. The only problem is that only 2 abundant Underworld Metal missions have come up in rotation.