Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Dumb question: how are you supposed to level a healer merc .... with Mako?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Commando / Mercenary

ClavisN
12.06.2013 , 01:45 PM | #1
'till level 20 or so it didn't make much difference. Just dpsed, but put points into the healing tree. Now I'm running out of steam that way.

At this point Mako should either tank or dps for me, while I heal her. Doesnt't really happen, though. I understand the next companion is due after Tatooine ... but that is nearly 10 more levels.

As a solider, you start with a dps companion, get a healer on Taris and a tank on Nar'Shaddaa. But as a Merc, its just Mako, or Mako.

What's the conventional wisdom on that?

MGNMTTRN
12.06.2013 , 06:43 PM | #2
Channel Fusion Missile, throw Explosive Dart, then take the next 1.5 seconds to waddle into melee range and use Flamethrower. Mix in Death From Above as necessary.

ClavisN
12.07.2013 , 04:56 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by MGNMTTRN View Post
Channel Fusion Missile, throw Explosive Dart, then take the next 1.5 seconds to waddle into melee range and use Flamethrower. Mix in Death From Above as necessary.
Hmm... should I translate that as "forgo healing, act as your own barebones dps" and "with decent tactics, your standard damage skills should carry you to level 30".

Not a good way to learn healing - but, well, if its that what must be done.....

cs_zoltan
12.07.2013 , 09:10 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by ClavisN View Post
Hmm... should I translate that as "forgo healing, act as your own barebones dps" and "with decent tactics, your standard damage skills should carry you to level 30".

Not a good way to learn healing - but, well, if its that what must be done.....
Tatooine is hardly lvl30, if you are so desperate for a dps comp then rush through the class quest there pick up the comp and finish the whole planet with him

P.S: Also you can do awesome dps with SCG

Husanak
12.07.2013 , 11:47 PM | #5
Why would you be trying to heal before level 30 or so ?

Really your just making things painful for yourself no matter what toon your playing.

I don't find there's much point in trying to heal on any of the heal classes until you at least get your level 25 tree skill anyway.

cashogy_reborn
12.08.2013 , 03:41 AM | #6
Build up Supercharge and then use Power Shot and Unload to kill stuff (iirc SuperCharge reduces their heat cost to 0)
Dany - Attomm - Dan'y - Fogel
The Original Stormborn Commando Representative
The King of Bads

DarthBloodloss
12.10.2013 , 06:13 PM | #7
Its actually the best companion to get first. Other classes don't get a healer until later on and those initial levels can be slightly harder without healing as even an option.

Obviously you intend to play a healer, but it might be worth it to DPS while leveling up. I'd just put points into the heal cast time reduction (1st level bodyguard skill) and put the rest into DPS skills for the time being.
Bloodloss Mercenary
DESTROYER OF WORLDS || KEEPER OF SOULS

Qaoz
12.14.2013 , 01:32 PM | #8
Quote:
Slowly. Very, very slowly.

Although, a good tip for running with Mako as pretty much any type of Bounty Hunter is to disable her Med Scan and Electro-Stasis, and keeping her in Blaster Stance. She'll be popping those squirt blasts every 4.5 seconds while tossing instant cast heals on the side.
If only I'd hit spacebar more often...

spanthegnome
12.16.2013 , 02:01 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by ClavisN View Post
'till level 20 or so it didn't make much difference. Just dpsed, but put points into the healing tree. Now I'm running out of steam that way.

At this point Mako should either tank or dps for me, while I heal her. Doesnt't really happen, though. I understand the next companion is due after Tatooine ... but that is nearly 10 more levels.

As a solider, you start with a dps companion, get a healer on Taris and a tank on Nar'Shaddaa. But as a Merc, its just Mako, or Mako.

What's the conventional wisdom on that?
Leveling as a healer will just burn you out of doing it.
Spann | Mercenary Spandy | Operative Spannder | Marauder

DarthSpekulatius
12.17.2013 , 01:06 AM | #10
buy field respec play heal for Groups, DPS for Solo. for solo any heal other then Kolto missile is unnecessary (that includes Mako )