Why do ops/scoundrals jump around so much?

_DaGreat

Jumping is to increase the range from your attacker and hopefully stop melee attacks from being in range. If it works in swtor I am not sure.

I find myself doing it as i seem to be perma snared/slowed/stunned and I think it's just a natural reaction...like "f***.. has my movement keys stopped working??? let me mash the space bar.. maybe that'll get him moving again".

I think a lot of players come from WoW where there was no movement speed penalty when you were jumping, and a sprinting, jumping rogue in the middle of a PVP battle was difficult to target without using tab to cycle through the opposing team (specially if it was a gnome).

In ToR you move slightly slower when jumping, so I tend to keep my feet on the ground. I do jump occasionally while kiting to reorientate so I can continue attacking or slowing the chaser(s) ... and I'll occasionally do the same when I have to approach a target from the front for some reason (out of stealth or not enough time to stealth around the target). In those cases jumping through the target and turning to Backstab in the air can save you a few split seconds.

Always wondered this because it seems like these two classes in particular are often continually jumping (I mean spacebar jumping) while pvping. Is there a benefit to this or is just a case of too much coffee or Mt Dew?

I always seem to jump and turn to back stab or hidden strike.... Think it's the old wow rogue in me but now I can't stop jumping.... Coffee may have had something to do with it but Its part of my key bind rotation now... :) Jump turning constantly.

It's funny you mention it too cause i find myself practicing my jump turns between the pillar and PvP quest terminal while I'm waiting for Que Pops... Probably get the same affect from running in circles but I feel like I can jump turn to their back easily if they're not aware. Fake em out :)

Edited by Sicious
grammer

im a scoundrel healer and you will see me jumping frequently to get LOS on my heals. most of my healing is instant and can be used while midair. this helps around crates, novare hills, alderaan cap ramps and obviously lots of places in huttball. I can Spam emergency medpack on a tank that is at the opponents endzone while im in the pit for example

The REAL reason to why we jump is simple: if the target has a knockback ability and we jump with perfect timing, it knocks us UP instead of BACK. I do come from WoW and, yes I was a "jumpy" player there too, but there is actual benefit to getting knocked up instead of further back where you have to re-close that gap outside of stealth.

I get ppl asking me that all the time in warzones. The less they know about how I keep them in range the better. A magician never reveals all of his secrets (except on the forums).

The REAL reason to why we jump is simple: if the target has a knockback ability and we jump with perfect timing, it knocks us UP instead of BACK. I do come from WoW and, yes I was a "jumpy" player there too, but there is actual benefit to getting knocked up instead of further back where you have to re-close that gap outside of stealth.

I get ppl asking me that all the time in warzones. The less they know about how I keep them in range the better. A magician never reveals all of his secrets (except on the forums).

You're probably the only one who does it for that reason, if that's even the case because I've never noticed it.

I jump around when i'm bored because jumping is fun. right?

One occasion it's useful:

You're stuck in the huttball pit and you can't quite target the enemy in the endzone heading for a score. Jumping can give you the height to see him and get an attack off. I've killed the ball carrier this way before.

Not that that explanation's specific to scrapper/ops. I'd say we may tend to move around a bit to get position behind a target for our big attack. But it also messes with clickers/keyboard turners. It's fun to run through/around people who can't seem to get an attack off while I blaster and punch them to death.

Maybe I should stand still and not do this OP scrapper "moving" to let myself be targetted more easily. But I digress.

Not that that explanation's specific to scrapper/ops. I'd say we may tend to move around a bit to get position behind a target for our big attack. But it also messes with clickers/keyboard turners. It's fun to run through/around people who can't seem to get an attack off while I blaster and punch them to death.

Maybe I should stand still and not do this OP scrapper "moving" to let myself be targetted more easily. But I digress.

Moving around of course is a must for scoundrels/ops but the question was about space bar jumping all the time, not running through or around them which is indeed the better way. :)

We are dodging nerfs.

best one yet.

durign the event last few weeks, was waiting for one of the quest mobs so I could kill it. the guy ahead of me was jumping so much I think he was de-selecting the mob and it took him forever to kill it. I was laughing so hard i nearly pee'd my pants

It helps because synching in this game is horrible, and jumping around can cause out of range errors for melee opponents, and not facing target errors for those trying to do cast time, or channeled abilities.

Basically, it is a cheesy way to exploit this game's failure.