How About We Start Making This an RP server?

Thulcondar

Hey Folks, how about we start really using /s to get some RP going, especially on the Fleets? I know, I know, three are some children among us who will mock and play around but that is what ignore is for! To be frank, my biggest disappointment in the game has been the lack of any RP unless it is a guild scheduled event.

Not to start a sandbox vs themepark debate but sandboxes have more freedom more tools for RP compared to themepark RP where your limited to being a republic trooper and you can't be a imperial trooper. Where your limited to being an Imperial agent and you can't be a republic agent(SIS). That is why RP in this game has been a disappointment, the best thing we can do to make this game alive in terms of RP is ask bioware for more tools to play with and more freedom for the best RP experience as possible.

Hey Folks, how about we start really using /s to get some RP going, especially on the Fleets? I know, I know, three are some children among us who will mock and play around but that is what ignore is for! To be frank, my biggest disappointment in the game has been the lack of any RP unless it is a guild scheduled event.

Actually...there is random RP everywhere. You DO join the /RP channel on either faction? All you have to do is ask or initiate it yourself. Someone would join you. People are too shy to start RP in other places that are not NS cantinas. There is RP there nearly EVERYDAY that isnt an event.

Alpha Company had an unscheduled RP patrol on Ord Mantell when we were bored and had plenty of members on, We just winged it with ambushes and IED's and search/rescue. We invited random lowbies who were interested and even got a promising new recruit.

Message of the story, RP still happens without prior planning :)

Also I notice if I "walk" that is usually a universal sign of RP intent, who knows who will join you? This is also very handy in initiating negotiations after long world pvp battles.

RP is everywhere my friend! In the trees! in the sky! in the ground! in the...*cough*...Nar Shaddaa cantina...Well, really the cantina isn't all that bad, due to me, THE HANDSOME SIBEK KORIN, being too lazy to move my character off the planet. Seriously, just attempt to Start it with people who don't have names similar to "XxXTheownerXxX" or "MasterJediDarth", it's likely they'll be happy too, if they aren't questing that is......I also strongly urge you to find me, THE HANDSOME SIBEK KORIN, cause' i'm always bored. Edited by Vhexit

To RP on this server you must look it or begin it for yourself. Just try to RP with the first player with an RP-friendly name, you're not going to get sick or die just for trying. And most of the time you'll actually get into an RP scene

Where I do agree with you is that our server does not spontaneously RP. Some hardcore roleplayers like me stopped trying due the lack of interest of a great part of the community. I remember the days where some guilds did a IC interview with a possible new member, or when we got to someones ship to talk, etc... We need those days back.

If you want to RP I have a pair of characters with their own stories on either side. Just don't be afraid to ask someone to RP :rak_03:

*whispers* But they're in-guild only, scheduled events.

I know many of our members are RPers, but same deal: They're pretty shy about starting stuff themselves. I've seen it all overthe server.. if you start things randomoly on whatever planet, people will usually join in! Especially if you say you're doing so on the rp channel or in gen chat.

If you want to build RP, you have to foster the community. Spontaneous RP is cool, but also give some thought to supporting events. Many guilds have weekly cantina events, and they're more than happy if people come along. If someone posts an ad about an RP event, consider swinging by. Even if it isn't really your thing, you can still make an appearance. And who knows, it might end up being your thing.

Don't think you'll like an RP swoop race? Fair enough, don't race. Show up and talk or wager. Condemn people for unsafe driving. Show up pursuing your own storyline and see if anyone jumps in.

It can definitely be hard to find RP. But at the same time, when people go out of their way to present RP opportunities, the community needs to either rise to the occasion, or accept the blame for the lack of RP.

*whispers* But they're in-guild only, scheduled events.

I know many of our members are RPers, but same deal: They're pretty shy about starting stuff themselves. I've seen it all overthe server.. if you start things randomoly on whatever planet, people will usually join in! Especially if you say you're doing so on the rp channel or in gen chat.

True, but if others stumble across it maybe they'd want to join in. I've always found (and agree) that when someone sees others RPing they'll join in the fun.

Also I notice if I "walk" that is usually a universal sign of RP intent, who knows who will join you?

This, followed up by trying to say something in /say. We've done it quite a bit, and at times it's resulted in some really cool encounters.

Yes, often others will be oblivious to the gesture and will get the first hit in, but oh well, that's the price of the possibility of spontaneous RP "in the wild".

I have always had the opinion that spontaneous world Roleplay is an awesome thing, and I do wish more would happen around the galaxy and not just on Nar Shadaa.

I know that before I had to take a break, EO was always trying to bring RP to the world in the form of our many events we used to hold. Even while I was away they still hold events with the Weekly Cantina RP, and the weekly Arming the Empire events.

I'm hoping to get some more free time now, and resume EO's event list once again.

Also, Chat Bubbles would be a HUGE Booster to RP in my opinion. They have always been a staple in RP for me, and I'm very sad to see they are STILL not here...

Also, Chat Bubbles would be a HUGE Booster to RP in my opinion. They have always been a staple in RP for me, and I'm very sad to see they are STILL not here...

Other than making communication look like a comic book and creating server-based latency issues, what's the real draw? Why can't we progress? How's it any different then looking two centimeters over and recognizing the name of the person you're engaging.

Yeah, in heavily populated areas (especially if you don't do a spatial filter) it can be tough to hear what the person next to you is saying, but isn't that realistic? How many bar-room scenes have you yourself gone to where the cacophony is so loud you can't hear the person you're talking to or likewise? There's a real solution to both of these problems: Step outside.

Consider bubbles in heavily populated areas; just seas of whitespace to the point you can't even see the interface. Then you have people who type up paragraphs and insert emotives in their speech and you've got bubblesort issues, climbing as high as a sequoia.

Edited by Koyaanisqat

Other than making communication look like a comic book and creating server-based latency issues, what's the real draw? Why can't we progress? How's it any different then looking two centimeters over and recognizing the name of the person you're engaging.

Yeah, in heavily populated areas (especially if you don't do a spatial filter) it can be tough to hear what the person next to you is saying, but isn't that realistic? How many bar-room scenes have you yourself gone to where the cacophony is so loud you can't hear the person you're talking to or likewise? There's a real solution to both of these problems: Step outside.

Consider bubbles in heavily populated areas; just seas of whitespace to the point you can't even see the interface. Then you have people who type up paragraphs and insert emotives in their speech and you've got bubblesort issues, climbing as high as a sequoia.

For me, its all about seeing the words my character would say "Coming out of" her. So when I type "Hello!" and the bubble pops up over my head, it helps me feel like my character is actually saying it.

Its boring to me, to have to go off a chat box, with no connection to my character other than "Selique:" There's no personal connection to my text that ties it to my character's body. The only time I use chat boxes in other MMO's is to recap, or read up on text I missed.

Also, I like feeling that other characters have the same connection to their "Voice" that bubbles imitate. I in no way associate Chat bubbles with comic books, as I never read any. To me they are all about connecting speech from your character to the environment and making it personal.

Plus, its easier to see a big chat bubble over someone's head and know they are talking to you (Because they are standing right there) and have your attention on the game world instead of focused on a small chat window. I'm not RPing on MSN Messenger after all!

As for the technical problems, no other MMO I have played has had issues where its been "Seas of whitespaces" SWG's chat bubbles were never an issue and I attended events with hundreds of players all chatting at once. So I don't see that argument at all.

As for the technical problems, no other MMO I have played has had issues where its been "Seas of whitespaces" SWG's chat bubbles were never an issue and I attended events with hundreds of players all chatting at once. So I don't see that argument at all.

That really doesn't matter that you "see" it or not. That's the technical issue with this engine right now, and why they were disabled in Beta.

That really doesn't matter that you "see" it or not. That's the technical issue with this engine right now, and why they were disabled in Beta.

I wasn't referring to the behind the scenes 400MB problem they talked about, but they also had that issue with nameplates, and those are fixed, so again, I don't see the issue other then Dev time trying to fix a similar issue they had previously fixed before.

• 1 month later...
I would love to at least have the option of chat bubbles. If you don't like it, you can turn it off.

I agree. =)

I'm always up for random RP, and will always do my best to engage someone who has decided to turn "RP" walk on =)

RP is out there. Sometimes you make it happen, and sometimes it finds you.