My name is Threj and i was a former alt-oholic...

Threjyan

Hello all,

My name is Drivan and I was an Altoholic.

(Waits for obligatory "Hi Drivan" from the group)

I have 32 characters across 3 servers and until 26 of them were max level. I raided 3 days a week and alternated between 8 different healers depending on the needs of the group and had 4 healers carrying 2 sets of gear so I could DPS from time to time

5.0 has encouraged me to give up my habit and I only play 2 characters on a regular basis, and one of them is in ESO...

If BW hadn't made gearing a pure RNG crap shoot I might still be playing 8 characters for hours every day...

Hi Drivan */greet*

I have 14 toons on TRE, Tanks, Healers and DPS. Like you, they were max level and could share various outfits as needed for the team etc. Since this CXP it's getting binned. Now off to pastures new.

/Bye.

What is the deal with having so many alts?

I'm curious :o Never had many alts in any MMO I've played.

What drives the altoholism ;) ?

For me the first reason was the experience the 8 different class stories, most of them are pretty good. After that I fell in with a raiding guild that had both empire and republic guilds and found that I really liked SWTOR raiding so I took each class and made them ready to raid on both factions. With lockouts I also needed to be able to raid with toons other than my main to help out my guild's other raiding groups so that was a main driver.

Then with the lack of new end game content running the same content over and over and over not only for solo GF ops and guild raids but for events like DvL it sometimes became tiring, so healing on an operative or merc instead of a sorc really changed the feeling and made it fresh for me so I could continue to be very active.

I feel very uninspired to get my alts to max level. First of all because the idea of 're-grinding' CXP on them as well for gear seems extremely daunting and second because each moment spent playing an alt feels like I'm robbing my 'main' of time better spent grinding CXP for the CHANCE at gear. Not that I even enjoy the idea of grinding anything for a small maybe, at least not with the way RNG works for these command crates. Actually the whole thing feels so unmotivating that even my main hasn't bothered to grind out many ranks.

Variety, something that's sorely needed since SW:TOR's content is so stale that certain schools of archaeology are sniffing around.

My fun in 4.0 was to explore specs I've never played before. I've discovered that Vengence Jugss, Hatred Sins, Madness Sorcs, Lethality Ops are just as fun as my Lightning Sorcs and Carnage Marauders. In the 2.0 era I had a few tanks I'd bust out when our main tanks were unavailable or needed a break and even tried my hand at healing a time or two.

I've seen my main spec here, Combat Sent, destroyed by 3.0 and something or other Warlock in WoW gutted by their 6.0.2 patch. Since those rather painful lessons I vowed never to be without a backup class and preferably total class coverage.

Having broad class experience has made me a better player and raider. I don't PvP much but having first hand experience of the ins and outs of other classes gives you ideas how to counter them.

Then there's the cosmetic aspect. I like designing character looks. I have all races unlocked except the Mirilan (meh) and collect outfits.

Bingo, this is another excellent reason! I knew people who mained sorc healers that refused to play them after a few of the late 4.0 nerfs. V

Hello all,

My name is Drivan and I was an Altoholic.

(Waits for obligatory "Hi Drivan" from the group)

I have 32 characters across 3 servers and until 26 of them were max level. I raided 3 days a week and alternated between 8 different healers depending on the needs of the group and had 4 healers carrying 2 sets of gear so I could DPS from time to time

5.0 has encouraged me to give up my habit and I only play 2 characters on a regular basis, and one of them is in ESO...

If BW hadn't made gearing a pure RNG crap shoot I might still be playing 8 characters for hours every day...

hi Drivan :D