258 MH/OH Acquisition - per PTS

Rion_Starkiller

Hi all,

As far as I can tell, the way to acquire 258 MHOH is to do the Hive Queen Weekly in HM. You receive 1 Monumental Data Crystal. The 258 piece costs: one 252 shell {{per phalczen}}, 8 MasDC {{per phalczen}} (could be 5?) and 2 MonDC.

This leads to a few questions. Perhaps one of you knows the answer. Or, perhaps, one of the devs will grace us with an ultra-rare gold post drop.

• Do you need the 252 MH or OH to trade for the 258? (answer is yes per phalczen)
  • Will there be any other means of acquiring MonDC?
  • Will non-raiders have a path to acquiring the 258 MH OH? (answer is yes via ranked lol)

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

Last PTS build it was:

- the 252 shell

- eight Masterwork Data Crystals

- one Monumental Data Crystal

Did that change with the current PTS build?

Also, it’s only partly an answer to your question, but the last version of veteran mode was balanced for people in otherwise-complete 258, though there was a fair amount of jest in Matt Pucevich’s posts in terms of whether that would make it to live.

So, I wouldn’t get rid of the 252 shells until 5.10.1 is in he books, I’ve been stacking up MasDC on toons im hoping to get MH or OH on and not buying 252 pieces yet, and if in fact VM hive of mountain Queen is the only place to get MonDCs then I’ll have to live without a 258 offhand or mainhand for a long time, possibly never.

Last PTS build it was:

- the 252 shell

- eight Masterwork Data Crystals

- one Monumental Data Crystal

Did that change with the current PTS build?

Also, it’s only partly an answer to your question, but the last version of veteran mode was balanced for people in otherwise-complete 258, though there was a fair amount of jest in Matt Pucevich’s posts in terms of whether that would make it to live.

So, I wouldn’t get rid of the 252 shells until 5.10.1 is in he books, I’ve been stacking up MasDC on toons im hoping to get MH or OH on and not buying 252 pieces yet, and if in fact VM hive of mountain Queen is the only place to get MonDCs then I’ll have to live without a 258 offhand or mainhand for a long time, possibly never.

It's possible I'm wrong about the MasDC. I edited my post to reflect your info.

Thanks for the extra info about shells and such. :) I'm trying to come up with a plan of action to suggest for prog group I'm in.

I don't suppose the Hive Queen or the Weekly drop any MasDC in addition to the MonDC?

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

As far as I can tell, the way to acquire 258 MHOH is to do the Hive Queen Weekly in HM.

You receive 1 Monumental Data Crystal.

The 258 piece costs: one 252 shell per phalczen, 8 MasDC per phalczen (could be 5?) and 2 MonDC.

What is a "phalczen" and where do you get one let alone 5 of them from?

Dulfy says this:

http://dulfy.net/2019/02/06/swtor-game-update-5-10-1-wretched-hive-coming-feb-12/

Also acquire Monumental Data Crystals with a new Weekly Quest to either defeat the Lair Boss in Veteran Mode or earn Solo Ranked Arena Points

How many Solo Ranked points does it require? Is it going to be easier to get the Solo Ranked points than completing the boss in veteran mode?

when I last checked on PTS it was 5 masterwork datacrystal, the shell 252 and 2 of the new monumental datacrystals. Stretching out the content as long as possible so we have at least two weeks to get the Main / Offhand Edited by CarlGustaf

Looks like more and more reasons for people that don't do operations or pvp having less reasons to continue playing

Well given the fact that not you don't have to do any Operations or PVP in order to get 258 gear, I'm not really sure why one would take such offense that there is one peice of gear that serves as incentive for people to try one.

Before 5.x, you couldn't get BIS gear at all if you didn't do Operations. Prior to 4.x, the only way you could get BIS gear was doing NiM.

I was a Progression than, and I still never got full BIS gear at that time. That was hard.

Now? BIS Gearing is laughbly easy, too easy in my opinion. It's just a time sink. There is no difficulty to it. You can get full BIS gear [save for MH and OH] using nothing but basic attack.

To be fair here, as I am familair with your postings [ I get banned a lot so you might not know who I am, but I read the boards every day, so I am familair with you :D]

You would probably consider my views on it a bit 'Elitest' as I don't really feel FULL BIS gear should be obtainable just doing story. Plus, and perhaps more to the point, its totally unnecessary for people only doing that side of things [and there is nothing wrong with that, please don't mistake me, I have nothing against story focused players, it takes all kinds]. I only have that notion with regard to BIS gear [258] I don't feel that way about 252 gear though.

Given the amount of time, skill, and dedication it takes to perform NiM Operations, or even HM to a somewhat lesser extent, there needs to be some incentive beyond just saying you did it to make such investiments of time and scheduling seem worthwhile.

With story, you don't need anyone else to be involved, you don't need to have a set schedule to do that content [HM/NiM groups generally have set days and times, usually two days a week for 3 hours], I'm not sure a game could sustain a limited level of incentive given the amount of resources that was involved in creating and maintaining such high difficulty and time consuming areas of play.

When ya die in storymode or storyplay, repair costs are very minimal, but when you die a lot in BIS gear [even 252] while raiding, you are looking at something like 45k repair costs for each person and when you do that kind of content, dieing 7, 8, even ten times in a nights play isn't uncommon. You have be willing to shell out 200-400k repair costs a night and that might not even have one successful clear so no one gains anything!

Story and PVPers they don't have those kinds of costs to deal with. It's really not a big deal, and I don'twant to make it out as such, making 200-400k nowadays isn't all that hard, but, it is a consideration.

Personally, I find it almost impossible to believe many people can actually have fun doing NiM. I'll be honest, I absolutely hated every minute of it and I ended up with a 75% NiM clearance rate as of 5.0. [i ceased being a raider when 5.0 dropped] Were it not for the gear [and because my raid leader said that's what we are doing whether we like it or not and I didn't =p], I just cannot see putting yourself thru all of that.

But, I respect the opinions you hold even if I don't necessarily proscribe to all of them. Even still, I enjoy reading yours posts very much so please don't think too ill of me if that's not asking too much. ;)

Edited by WayOfTheWarriorx

Well given the fact that not you don't have to do any Operations or PVP in order to get 258 gear, I'm not really sure why one would take such offense that there is one peice of gear that serves as incentive for people to try one.

snip

But, I respect the opinions you hold even if I don't necessarily proscribe to all of them. Even still, I enjoy reading yours posts very much so please don't think too ill of me if that's not asking too much. ;)

as long as they dont need people to actually pay for a game on hiatus they should be ok. But if people cant expect to be able to get the results of the gear grind, there isnt any reason to pay for a game with no new content until Dec 2019. or later. I like to raid, but a lot of people will not and cannot do overtuned wanna be nim raids. They are already bored with doing ossis over and over and over again. This will not end well.

Looks like more and more reasons for people that don't do operations or pvp having less reasons to continue playing

Mere grinding for 258 gear should never be a primary reason for playing.

I had a plan, before I saw the plans in 5.10.1 and Hive of the Mountain Queen and where mainhands/offhands would come from. I was going to save up for gear that would benefit the most number of characters. A Focus offhand can benefit six, a Force shield four, a mainhand pistol four, etc. While I work on acquiring the MDCs I’ll bust out the achievements. I want the three decos associated with the achievements and its highly likely that I’ll be on a toon that a PUG needs for the two world bosses. That was my plan. Now, I don’t know if I can reasonably anticipate being able to do Veteran Mode Hive. Our guild is progressing in VM DF/DP and only cleared VM DP for the first time last week or maybe two weeks ago. And I’m not even part of the progression team because of my schedule. Knowing this, and knowing that things will change in 6.0, should I really worry about the grind at all? No, I’m just going to work on those achievements and then go back to doing other things I enjoy in game. If I’m lucky to be part of a group that clears VM Hive a couple of times and I get a few of those Monumental Data Crystals, great.

Before 5.x, you couldn't get BIS gear at all if you didn't do Operations. Prior to 4.x, the only way you could get BIS gear was doing NiM.

I was a Progression than, and I still never got full BIS gear at that time. That was hard.

Now? BIS Gearing is laughbly easy, too easy in my opinion. It's just a time sink. There is no difficulty to it. You can get full BIS gear [save for MH and OH] using nothing but basic attack.

To be fair here, as I am familair with your postings [ I get banned a lot so you might not know who I am, but I read the boards every day, so I am familair with you :D]

You would probably consider my views on it a bit 'Elitest' as I don't really feel FULL BIS gear should be obtainable just doing story. Plus, and perhaps more to the point, its totally unnecessary for people only doing that side of things [and there is nothing wrong with that, please don't mistake me, I have nothing against story focused players, it takes all kinds]. I only have that notion with regard to BIS gear [258] I don't feel that way about 252 gear though.

Given the amount of time, skill, and dedication it takes to perform NiM Operations, or even HM to a somewhat lesser extent, there needs to be some incentive beyond just saying you did it to make such investiments of time and scheduling seem worthwhile.

With story, you don't need anyone else to be involved, you don't need to have a set schedule to do that content [HM/NiM groups generally have set days and times, usually two days a week for 3 hours], I'm not sure a game could sustain a limited level of incentive given the amount of resources that was involved in creating and maintaining such high difficulty and time consuming areas of play.

When ya die in storymode or storyplay, repair costs are very minimal, but when you die a lot in BIS gear [even 252] while raiding, you are looking at something like 45k repair costs for each person and when you do that kind of content, dieing 7, 8, even ten times in a nights play isn't uncommon. You have be willing to shell out 200-400k repair costs a night and that might not even have one successful clear so no one gains anything!

Story and PVPers they don't have those kinds of costs to deal with. It's really not a big deal, and I don'twant to make it out as such, making 200-400k nowadays isn't all that hard, but, it is a consideration.

Personally, I find it almost impossible to believe many people can actually have fun doing NiM. I'll be honest, I absolutely hated every minute of it and I ended up with a 75% NiM clearance rate as of 5.0. [i ceased being a raider when 5.0 dropped] Were it not for the gear [and because my raid leader said that's what we are doing whether we like it or not and I didn't =p], I just cannot see putting yourself thru all of that.

The fastest way to get gear as a pvper is to do pve content, and it should not be that way. they need to bring back pvp gear.

The fastest way to get gear as a pvper is to do pve content, and it should not be that way. they need to bring back pvp gear.

That is it. If not for gear I would have done the story, and the dailies once or twice, and stop there and return to my daily PvP routine. But since you have to get the gear on Ossus I go with my eight character army every week. So far I am not bored, and when I get bored I just stop my sub.

Ossus is a nice planet, and the movement there is nice. I might be saying this may be because I returned in December after a two year break. Altough I was playing a bit F2P since past Summer.

Edited by limenutpen

That's true, but between 5.2-5.9 it was PVP that was the superior method to gear. I geared 242 and 248 exclusively through PVP. There was no repuation requirements than, that's why it was that way pre 5.10.

That said, you can get as many mwc from PVP per week as you can from PVE. 2 MWC via UCs and 2 from PVE content [ the WBs and the weekly event] for a total of 4 per week.

Once you max out the Reputation on OSSUS, you only need to go there once per week to buy the 2 MWC with UCs, and do the WB Weekly. You don't even have to do the WB as all though, because you can also meet the weekly requirement doing Ranked PVP.

As PVEers and PVPers share the same gear in 5.x I see no reason to think it should be faster or easier to get in PVP than in PVE. If anything precident in on the side of PVE for the easier acquisition of BIS gear as BIS gear has been the province of Raiders and PVE at all other times before 5.x. BIS gear is traditionally Raiders gear and prior to 5.x you only got BIS gear by doing Operations.

It should be easier to get BIS gear via Raiding than PVP.

I just reiterate that I was a HM/NiM Progression Raider prior to 5.0, I stopped Raiding when 5.0 dropped and became exclusively a PVPer. I do think it should be faster to aquire BIS gear raiding than by PVPing.

BIS gear should not be easy to get and it should take a while to get it.

I do however agree that they should bring back PVP gear and separate the two communities with regard to gearing. I am a big supporter of bringing back PVP gear, than it could be easier and faster to get PVP gear like it was in 4.x. That;s good for many reasons. I am confident they will be bringing back PVP gear in 6.0. I hope that does in fact turn out to be the case. It's really better for both Raiders and PVPers and for the game overall

BioWare - Please bring back PVP gear. You will make both gaming styles grateful for it in doing so.

It looks like BW only wants HM raiders to play the game. Going a year with only hm raiding(one boss) is not gonna end well for them.

Good thing the game's producer is in a progression raiding guild. At least he'll have stuff do after Anthem drops.

Edited by kodrac