Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Mouseover Healing

Hermanlee
02.02.2012 , 03:00 PM | #311
Quote: Originally Posted by sonickat View Post
It is impossible to be completely proactive as a healer. Humans are not machines and our peers make mistakes and it falls on us to compensate for them. You can be the smartest healer in the world, if it takes you 4 seconds to react and land a heal on someone who is about to die, they are probably going to die.

The goal of fluid immersible game play should be to minimize the time it takes to determine someone needs to be healed, target them, and heal them to the point that it is as close to the cast time of the ability + your own mental decision making time as possible.

Any additional time added outside of that by how you need to interact with the game itself should be optimized as much as possible. Like all things it can always be better. At least until we are hardwired into our computers and actions take place in real time as we think them.
I never said healers had to be clairvoyant though I apologize if my post came off that way. I only meant to say that great healers are able to anticipate incoming damage, such as unavoidable splash damage on the raid, powerful and predictable hits on the tank, etc. Other than that I agree with your post, and the gameplay in this case could be more fluid and immersible, with mouseover healing, among other options.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...terityRequired

A clunky healing UI doesn't add difficulty, it adds irritation.

Azkit
02.03.2012 , 03:16 AM | #312
Quote: Originally Posted by Perfectcircle View Post
I think this is a joke, the thing that sperates good players from great players are their Actions Per Minute (APM) if you do not have th skill to play the class effectively dont play it. go w/ a sage DPS build and 1 2 1 2 Bubble, 1 2 1 2 , bubble
You are thinking of games which require a lot of micro. MMORPG games generally favor macro rather than micro. APM does not need to be high in games that have heavy macro and little micro.

Macro - Managing several things at once (health, energy, cooldowns, buffs/debuffs, interrupts, environmental hazards, positioning your character, ect).

Micro - Performing actions in a short amount of time. Because of the GCD, players aren't going to have much micro management involved in most MMORPGs.
NIGHTMARES ASYLUM
Server: Hedarr Soongh
Kara Gunn (Op) - | - Ray Gunn (Merc)

darreke
02.03.2012 , 06:59 AM | #313
lmao, APM in a game with a 1,5 GLOBAL cooldown... lets see if your APM can be higher then mine.

Same for mouseover healing, GOSH DARNIT, i can heal fast enough when i need to click ONE extra time.... i have sooooo little time, only 1,5 seconds !!!!

The only thing mouse over healing would be good for is, so i can play with one hand.
Jupke Shagzwell
Freelance enterpreneur

Caelrie
02.05.2012 , 12:58 AM | #314
Quote: Originally Posted by Nuanil View Post
I personally don't favour mouseover healing, as I just find it lazy and prone to miscasts, but those saying that it's vital to efficient healing are delusional.
Don't blame a game system for your inability to aim your mouse properly.

Quote: Originally Posted by darreke View Post
The only thing mouse over healing would be good for is, so i can play with one hand.
Explain how you'll use mouseover healing with one hand, please. I'm pretty convinced you don't even know what it is.

marksticks
02.05.2012 , 02:17 AM | #315
not sure if anyone else brought this up but i just made macros that clicked the mouse button(to set my target) then cast the healing spell i wanted.

i've been doing it and it seems to work pretty well for me

stipe
02.05.2012 , 02:03 PM | #316
Well, I think that mouse-over should be enabled. You can buy 100 SWTOR mouse and make macro in mouse CP. So, if you don't want to spend money or you don't have money to buy it, you are lacking game experience.

Zhit
02.05.2012 , 03:21 PM | #317
What Stipe said kinda--There are macros in the game right now--you just have to pay extra to have access to them... i.e. you need to buy new hardware--either a gaming mouse or keyboard.

So folks complain about not having macros or mouse over healing. Spend $50 to $150 bucks and you'll have something a little closer to what modern MMO ship with. Pretty sad actually...
Why no dual spec? Are dailies only for the DPS classes?
Why do folks not want addons because "they play the game for you", yet don't say a thing about companions.

Zhit
02.05.2012 , 03:24 PM | #318
Quote:
Grid took healing in large raids in WOW from truly challenging to laughable
And another person that has no idea what addon does what. Grid IS in SWTOR--get into an operation. See the health bar layout--that is what Grid does. Well--let me make one minor correction. Grid shows the correct health and buffs/debuffs. The SWTOR frames still break all the time.
Why no dual spec? Are dailies only for the DPS classes?
Why do folks not want addons because "they play the game for you", yet don't say a thing about companions.

Kassiopia
02.06.2012 , 01:32 AM | #319
Quote: Originally Posted by Raani View Post
You're not considering the fact that all healers also bring offensive utility, for which they need to be able to target and focus enemies. When both your target and your focus are occupied by friendlies, you are not functioning at your full capacity.

Also, even using them for healing doesn't make anything mentally easier when you have to switch between 16 people.
with a focus target you can have a dps target and still heal your focus and self. Its not that hard people. Wow has made you lazy. Admit it.

Kassiopia
02.06.2012 , 01:37 AM | #320
Quote: Originally Posted by Hermanlee View Post
All the knowledge in the world doesn't count for much if you don't do something with it. What people are asking for is mouseover healing so they can put their skills and knowledge to use with an interface that is more intuitive for them. The challenge is still there, but with mouseover healing you can overcome that challenge with knowledge, not by fighting a clunky UI. Mouseovers/"fancy" UI's don't detract from the challenge of healing, they only make it less of a chore.

There's also the problem of the operation UI being a poor source of data such as buffs/debuffs to begin with, but that's another issue entirely and doesn't belong in this thread.
Now I agree that the UI need improvement, just mouseover just not essential. There is alot of kinks and those do need to fixed