Seriously no way to adjust the cursor?

Zicious

Hi All,

I haven't played since 2014ish and just returned. Its been a whirlwind of adjusting to most of the changes and fixing the bugs/issues with UI.

I'm now playing on 4K and am stunned there is no way to adjust the cursor size, color, or anything?

This and a more obvious target marker are 2 of the biggest UI issues on this game. I would really like for the devs to say something about it.

You can get used to it, but it is far from ideal. Especially on PvP. It is not uncommon for your target to be lost when it runs into a group of players. Losing track of your cursor is a common occurrence as well.

Seriously, nothing could make me happier in the new expansion than seeing customization options for the cursor and the target reticle to make them more obvious. Biigger/brighter respectively would already be something great.

Edited by Nemmar

I had the same issue and the only way round it I could find is going into display settings in windows and changing the scale and layout to 300% each time before I start the game. The cursor then appears as the normal size for me. Its annoying and I agree in game options would be better though. Hope this works for you.

I had the same issue and the only way round it I could find is going into display settings in windows and changing the scale and layout to 300% each time before I start the game. The cursor then appears as the normal size for me. Its annoying and I agree in game options would be better though. Hope this works for you.

Thank you Delvianseek, I actually have been using this. Even at 300% the cursor is unacceptably small, when I take it to 100% I mine as well completely give up its so small.

I'm amazed that this is something this game hasn't added after being on the market so long. Such a simple accessibility option like tuning the Cursor size should be a priority for any game. What about people who have low visibility? Maybe I'll reach out to Ablegamers and see what their players do or if they avoid the game entirely.

Thanks again everyone for your contribution to this thread.

-Z

Try to remember that SWToR uses DirectX 9c. It does not support 4K resolutions. The game does not support 4k either. It does not render correctly for anything over 1920 x 1080. Edited by denavin

Hi All,

I haven't played since 2014ish and just returned. Its been a whirlwind of adjusting to most of the changes and fixing the bugs/issues with UI.

I'm now playing on 4K and am stunned there is no way to adjust the cursor size, color, or anything?

A number of us have ran into this. IMO there should be a simple fix to this. As someone else said... I'm not that much of a tech person... but the cursor (or at least being able to spot it easily even in 4 K) should be available.

Yep, I stopped using 4k because the darned cursor was too small, even after adjusting in Windows.

Devs, we're not all a bunch of spring chickens here. Give us an option to choose a Large Cursor for the visually impaired, elderly, and drunk?

Seriously though, I hate losing my cursor because I can't see it on the screen.

The engine used for SWTOR predates even a hint of 4K. At that time, 1920x1080 was leading edge. It might not even be possible to increase the cursor size within the engine, and in any case it would probably be too time consuming (expensive) to do so.

The engine used for SWTOR predates even a hint of 4K. At that time, 1920x1080 was leading edge. It might not even be possible to increase the cursor size within the engine, and in any case it would probably be too time consuming (expensive) to do so.

hmmm... interesting. Really hadn't thought about it that way. I'm not saying you are right ... or wrong. BUT the simple fact is that this may be a valid point. Only someone who would be familiar with the programming of either (or both) could really answer that. Frankly that's over my pay grade !

Good point !

Hi All,

You cannot, afaik, replace to cursor with a file or anything. but I have noticed (playing with a 1070 and then 2080 at 4k) that if you restart your system, the cursor goes from tiny to at least nomral/manageable. it's still difficult for me to find, but I use extra large cursors for regular desktop mode.

edit:

BTW: everything else -- and I mean EVERYTHING else -- scales brilliantly in 4k. This cursor problem is an issue in many games. Even playing Dragon Age in 2k was frustrating for me. But I'm fairly certain the cursor issue is a handshake problem with the OS because, as stated, I can guarantee a tiny cursor when I run SWTOR from cold boot, and a regular cursor on a reboot. Even if the cursor file only has a 2k max mode, there's clearly something going on with the handshake.

Edited by foxmob

Try to remember that SWToR uses DirectX 9c. It does not support 4K resolutions. The game does not support 4k either. It does not render correctly for anything over 1920 x 1080.

I don't have 4k, but I do have a 36" flat screen LCD TV that I play on at 1920x1024 I think it is, and I cannot see the cursor and get lost a lot with these old eyes. Now I know for a fact, this would not be a hard change to do in settings. I know a lot of people say "well this shouldn't be so hard" when they have no idea of what load it would put on servers with database queries, or the amount of code. But I used to be a coder, and changing cursor size would be adding a couple more larger icons and then add that to the preferences.

It doesn't bother me that much because I am a tab target person, and usually if you face what you want targeted and hit tab it targets that NPC quickly. During the star ship mini game (the solo one) that is when it irks me the most because I lose track of it on a large screen.

Actually, there's a very simple solution to this. Play the game at 1920x1080. I know 4K may look real purdy when you stand still and look around, but during gameplay, it really shouldn't make much difference. :)

4k keeps things spread out. there are no quick bars, overlays, maps, etc. overlapping my character model or line of sight. it's absolutely wonderful except for the mouse cursor not scaling with everything else.

there is one other thing I'd like to address, and that's nameplate and hb size. I watched a 1080 stream last night, and the nameplates and such were gigantic. a guildy said he must have altered the .ini file somewhere to do that. It would be awesome if we could alter the the nameplate health bar on friends/enemies the way we can in an ops frame (via interface editor).

Yeah, annoying. I'm playing in 2560x1440 because of that.

The mouse pointer is just way too tiny in full 4k. If at least the color could be adjusted, but no, here we are in 2019 and they ignored this issue since the dark ages lol. Typical for Bioware.

A yellow micro mouse pointer within a gfx effect thunderstorm on the display (with all gfx to max), often in red/yellow/orange. Good luck on your missiobn to discover it lol, riduculous.

BTW, the char select screen is also ridiculously small in 4k though.

Edited by Khaleg

4k keeps things spread out. there are no quick bars, overlays, maps, etc. overlapping my character model or line of sight. it's absolutely wonderful except for the mouse cursor not scaling with everything else.

I play at 1920x1080 and I don't have any problems with quickbars or overlays overlapping my character. But that could just be a matter of "scale".