How accurate are Biowares metrics?

Jerro

In a voidstar game earlier this evening i got killed "defeated by <player> with smash (6279 damage)" while the same players biggest hit on the scorecard was 5929. the difference is only 350 maybe doesnt sound like much but over time that will build up. now i dont know how bioware use ther metrics or how the monitoring works but it looks like it isnt a exact monitoring?

screenie: http://postimage.org/image/gp76sfk0j/full/

I've noticed stuff like that too... I KNOW I'll hit someone for say 5800 and when the game is over it says my biggest hit was 5100 or something.

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this... I'm not the mathematician type of player and it's likely we WON'T get an official response. If someone could put up a bunch of numbers with X = 3.8% + 5100 = 2.6% mitigation blah blah blah and a bunch of other confusing math I refuse to read and end it with "working as intended" I think I'd be ok with that.

What I was told by a guild mate is when it says "defeated by X for X damage" that will not count towards the biggest hit done because you only had so much health left. Again, just what I was told I am still not sure.

What I was told by a guild mate is when it says "defeated by X for X damage" that will not count towards the biggest hit done because you only had so much health left. Again, just what I was told I am still not sure.

this is very possible, but the question remains how accurate are the metrics? they monitor the scorecard or the numbers during the game?

I can't say for sure but I think it goes deeper than that... when I went on my LOL smash party when 1.4 released I was paying extra attention to the high crits. The numbers popping up on my screen were consistently higher than the "biggest hit" showing on the scoreboard. Nearly positive that wouldn't apply to what I've seen.

I can vouch for the fact that it's because you overkilled a player (i.e. hitting someone for 5k when they only have 4k left). Scoreboard damage is (rightly) only actual damage done, not theoretical damage that you would have done, if the person had more health left.

This seems legit. I know that is how it worked in WOW.

The devs have also stated before, the yellow or white or whatever numbers that appear over your head are not neccesarily individual hits, but can wind up being aggregates of two or more events. You'd have to check your combat log for the actual damage of an individual event.

In a voidstar game earlier this evening i got killed "defeated by <player> with smash (6279 damage)" while the same players biggest hit on the scorecard was 5929. the difference is only 350 maybe doesnt sound like much but over time that will build up. now i dont know how bioware use ther metrics or how the monitoring works but it looks like it isnt a exact monitoring?

screenie: http://postimage.org/image/gp76sfk0j/full/

he hit you for that much damage but you didnt actually have that much health so he only got credit for how much health you had

he hit you for that much damage but you didnt actually have that much health so he only got credit for how much health you had

yea that have been stated several times allready, that isnt what this thread is about. im mostly wondering about the "metrics" bioware using. small errors like that build up over time how long is it between they look at numbers and what numbers do they get?

yea that have been stated several times allready, that isnt what this thread is about. im mostly wondering about the "metrics" bioware using. small errors like that build up over time how long is it between they look at numbers and what numbers do they get?

I already told you what's happening. The devs have explicitly stated that the numbers displayed above your head can and often are aggregates of damage/healing events happening to you or others. The actual numbers are in your combat log.

Edited by Polebreaker

Yeah I am gonna tackle your question with...not very accurate.

Going with this also. According to BioWare's metrics, all DPS specs are within 5% of each other (lawl). :rolleyes:

That may be the case when parsing a combat dummy, but in real-world PvP, it's far from accurate.

Going with this also. According to BioWare's metrics, all DPS specs are within 5% of each other (lawl). :rolleyes:

That may be the case when parsing a combat dummy, but in real-world PvP, it's far from accurate.

Thats because pvp fighter are short. its all about burst.

They are all assuredly within 5% over a 10min parse.

But burst damage will win in pvp....

I can vouch for the fact that it's because you overkilled a player (i.e. hitting someone for 5k when they only have 4k left). Scoreboard damage is (rightly) only actual damage done, not theoretical damage that you would have done, if the person had more health left.

this ...

problem solved ...