Post Patch 1.2 Healer Survey

-Reedyn

With all the discussion and flamewar going on here on the forums about the changes in 1.2 it can be very difficult to see whether it's a large portion of the player-base that are unhappy or if it's just a vocal minority. Hopefully this survey will give us a little bit more insight into who and what people are unhappy with.

All data will be published both in raw format and in graphical form.

Took it. Would have been nice to have check-boxes for the 'which classes are you playing' - since some of us play more than one healing class.

Also.... general question about which class is most powerful and least powerful I found almost impossible to answer. There are a lot of 'it depends' qualifications to any of those answers. Perhaps a better option might have been to ask "Which class do you feel you would most/least prefer to play at this time?".

Just a bit of feedback. :)

X

Took it.

Below are some suggestions to help decrease bias in the results and clarify areas where the results would be vague.

I was considering making a similar survey, so thank you for doing this. There will, of course, be a sampling bias in that not many people come to the Healer Forum as it is. I will update my Sig and put a link to this thread in it to try and get some greater exposure as well.

Please reply if you intend to update the questions, and Ill update my signature once the new version is up if you intend to, or with the current version if you don't, so people don't fill out this version if you are going to update the survey.

First question: You need to provide a "No longer healing" or "None of the Above" option to the first question.

Third question: I'd recommend moving this question about what you healed on pre-1.2 to be the first question, as the way it is currently formatted may have people accidentally select their pre-1.2 class as a response to the first question.

This question:

Are you more or less inclined to play your healing character since 1.2?

I would rephrase this as "How likely are you to continue healing in 1.2?" Asking "A or B" biases responses towards answer A.

I would follow it with a question about what class they are most likely to heal with in 1.2.

This question:

Do you intend to or have unsubscribed because of the changes in 1.2?

I would rephrase as "How does patch 1.2 affect your likelihood of resubscribing or unsubscribing?" and give a scale as with other questions with a range from definitely/already unsubscribed to definitely/already resubscribed.

I would separate the "most powerful" question into parts. PvP, AoE, single-target, raid-group-healer, burst healer, and resource management are probably good subcategories. Same with weakest. Perhaps make it a question of assigning 1-3 for each of those categories with 1 the most powerful and 3 the least.

I would ask a question about which class has the most interesting gameplay/rotation/decisions.

A QQ survey:D I love these

Dont worry guys im sure Bioware will see their mistake and put you guys back to the healing you had before 1.2 (the times where you didnt have to feel like people were taking a **** all over you)

I am playing a sorcerer healer myself in PvP and obviously its a bit more challenging now then before (which I myself find more fun)

before 1.2 you could basicly outheal the damage taken by a dps player sitting on top of you and still keep up the members of your team without any real problems (It was really EASY being a healer, most of you prefered it like that it seems).

But dont worry... the rest of you who decides to unsubscribe now just means people who actually can adapt to the games changes can remain and become even better without the likes of you taking up spots for the warzones :rolleyes:

Goodluck

Dont worry guys im sure Bioware will see their mistake and put you guys back to the healing you had before 1.2 (the times where you didnt have to feel like people were taking a **** all over you)

I am playing a sorcerer healer myself in PvP and obviously its a bit more challenging now then before (which I myself find more fun)

before 1.2 you could basicly outheal the damage taken by a dps player sitting on top of you and still keep up the members of your team without any real problems (It was really EASY being a healer, most of you prefered it like that it seems).

But dont worry... the rest of you who decides to unsubscribe now just means people who actually can adapt to the games changes can remain and become even better without the likes of you taking up spots for the warzones :rolleyes:

Goodluck

If you spent less time condescending to people and more time reading, you'd see that the OP is actually in favor of the changes, and created this survey to see if the anti-1.2 posters were simply a very vocal minority.

I guess he did a decent job of creating an unbiased survey if you couldnt tell that.

Thank you for all your responses, due to the way the survey works I cannot add/remove questions at this stage, I rephrased some of them though. Hope you enjoy! :)

Once enough people have taken it I will do some graphs and statistics and post a link to that here. If you want to have a look yourself or make some graphs/visual representation yourself you can see all the data here

Took it. Would have been nice to have check-boxes for the 'which classes are you playing' - since some of us play more than one healing class.

The reason I did this is primarily because most people tend to play one class more and also So I could tie some of the other statistics to what class people are playing, for example to see if more of one class than the other are likely to unsubscribe.

Also.... general question about which class is most powerful and least powerful I found almost impossible to answer. There are a lot of 'it depends' qualifications to any of those answers. Perhaps a better option might have been to ask "Which class do you feel you would most/least prefer to play at this time?".

That's a good suggestion, sadly a bit far into the survey right now to make a change, would make all that data irrelevant.

If you spent less time condescending to people and more time reading, you'd see that the OP is actually in favor of the changes, and created this survey to see if the anti-1.2 posters were simply a very vocal minority.

I guess he did a decent job of creating an unbiased survey if you couldnt tell that.

Thank you, and yes I'm mostly in favor of the changes so far. And primarily because I haven't seen much that indicates what people are complaining about (Not the fun part, but the part where some classes are supposed to be severely underpowered since the patch, hello Sorcerers/Sages)

You missed one question that I feel is important:

Did you respec to DPS because of 1.2?

It's partly there with the question: "How likely are you to continue healing in 1.2?"

Edited by -Reedyn

Goodluck

Obvious troll is obvious.... :D

Submitted. It is worth noting that for me personally the question "Do you plan to unsubscribe because of 1.2?" is a little loaded in that while it is true, my unsubscribing coincides with the release of 1.2, and that I am largely unhappy with the changes it is unfair to make "the changes" the scapegoat for everything in the current state of the game I'm dissatisfied with. Case in point, if anyone on the dev side had warned "Expect nerfs, here's the data we have that suggests you need it" I would've said "Yeah, okay, sure." but promises under or undelivered on is a running theme it seems, and I'm too old and worn out to listen to a sales pitch on why something I don't enjoy is good for me anymore.

Been looking over the current level of results.

Among other things, there is a combined 20.5% un-subscription rate among all of the respondents, with 601 respondents at the time I looked at the numbers.

Numbers were higher for Commandos and Sages, but even Scoundrels had 14% loss rate.

Also keep in mind that this question only asked about people unsubscribing because of Patch 1.2, which doesn't capture loss from other sources.

We should keep in mind that there is a natural selection bias to these results. In general, people go out of their way to complain, but do not do so to praise.

Also, in general, the people following these forums might not be said to be a representative sample of players in general.

I would be very careful about any attempt to extrapolate statistics about the general game population from these results. Nevertheless, even taking into account the difficulties of the sample, the results are interesting.

X

So I whipped up some code that will process the results for you and create a bunch of Google Doc charts.

You can download it here. I filed it as "deprecated" so it doesn't show up unless you specifically look for it.

To save my sanity you will need to do a couple of simple tasks before it will work.

First, move and delete the time stamp column and the column with flashpoint/WZ etc in it. Since the WZ column is comma separated inside of it but variable in how many entries it had, it was going to be a headache to auto-parse it.

Second, I only processed results with all of the questions answered. This filters out a few (including mine) where people leave an answer blank, but it is still over 550 results so far. Again, for the sake of my sanity.

Finally, download the results as .csv, and put them in the same folder as the program. Run the program from the command line with the file name as the argument and out will pop your answer.

I currently have it as HTML with pretty graphs, but you'd have to host the resulting page somewhere yourself since apparently Google Docs doesn't display uploaded HTML files. I can change the output format to .csv for easy input into Google Docs. You would then need to create your own charts from the uploaded data, but it would easily shared once you did so.

We should keep in mind that there is a natural selection bias to these results. In general, people go out of their way to complain, but do not do so to praise.

Also, in general, the people following these forums might not be said to be a representative sample of players in general.

I would be very careful about any attempt to extrapolate statistics about the general game population from these results. Nevertheless, even taking into account the difficulties of the sample, the results are interesting.

X

Agreed, and some of the earlier posts covered other biases that will influence the results. Even with the biases, the results are worth looking at.

Some of the results I've output so far:

The Scoundrel population rose from 27.3% to 30.2% from 1.1.5 to 1.2.

Acknowledging that there is a selection bias, 22 Percent of Commandos/Mercs, 23% of Sage/Sorc, and 13% of Sc/Op have unsubscribed.

(Note that the pie chart shows the slices by relative size, so the actual unsubscribe %s are what you see when you mouse-over the slices, not the % on the slice. That % shows that 39.7% of those who unsubscribed were Sages, compared to 23% of Sages having unsubscribed).

5% of Sages consider it fully balanced (5), 7.9% of Scoundrels, and 3.7% of Commandos. The not balanced (1) results are 33.7, 17.1, and 31.1%, respectively.

The results for Keeping Healing (5) vs Not Healing (1) are 19.3:33.7 for Sages, 44.7:13.2 for Scoundrels, and 22.2:36.3 for Commandos.

For ease of use, I updated the parser tool.

You still need to edit out those two columns completely. The spreadsheet should start with the current class in Column A and have no empty columns until after the unsubscribe question.

Other than that, just download as .csv, put them in the same folder, double click, and it will make both a HTML file and a .csv. The HTML will have pretty graphs of the results, and the .csv will upload into Google Docs easily for making/publishing the exact same charts.

*If you are wondering why I would do this, this is what I do when I'm not in the mood to level yet another alt...

Goodluck

You know maybe your argument would have merit if it were actually true.

Now I understand that healing did need tweaking as it was a bit over powered, however when that tweaking takes a class and makes their rule useless is not what is needed.

Prior to this patch I could with a bit of a challenge heal any HM OP but now we keep wiping on first boss and I keep hearing the sorc saying they are out of force all the time now. This is not the way it was intended to be and the steps they took were a bit drastic.

You cannot compare the changes in healing if all you are healing is PVP, as my merc has no problems healing in pvp prior to and after the changes. I can still stay ahead of the damage now as I did previously. The reason it cannot be compared is there is no metric to measure how successful or not of a healer you were in it as you can be an awesome healer and your team can still loose or win.

Going up against a mob there is a metric to measure, was it easier or harder, are you just face rolling or getting your face rolled.