Why are my boots so loud?

kanezfan

I've tried this game on and off through the years and one thing I've always noticed is how loud my character sounds when I'm walking around. It's very distracting and it echoes even in large wide open outdoor areas. Someone on reddit suggested I get another pair of boots, which is one way to deal with it but isn't there some other way to either turn down the volume on my boots or maybe make them sound different?

Thanks!

I thought this was the start of a joke or something, i guess not. lol

Any way i have no clue what your talking about i usually play this game on high volume and i never hear my boots being louder then any other ambient sounds. My pc sounds is routed through my stereo for full rich sounds.

It could be a sound card thing? or Could be how your speakers transmits sound. Could be something wrong with your hearing. I say that not trying to be a smart *** or any thing. I say that cause i knew a person that when ever he heard water drip it would echo threw out his head like it was dripping in a cave. Only water would do that nothing else. Strange how the Human Brain Perceives things.

So now if you look ingame preferences, under Audio you can see your options to turn this down or that up and so forth.

Wish you the best & Luck with your issue.......

Thank you for the... ideas. I assure you my hearing is just fine lol and I've played the game on several different computers so I doubt it's a hardware issue but eh, who knows. The one thing I was able to do in order to reduce the volume of my heavy footsteps is to move the sound effects volume slider all the way to the left. This worked, however it sadly also made all other sound effects silent so that's not a very good solution obviously.

Have you tried different boots? I'd be curious to know if that makes a difference.

Oh yes sorry, I meant to add that to my last post. I tried that but it didn't make a difference so I tried to walk around barefoot. Still no difference. Someone else even suggested that the pants your character is wearing can affect it so I tried that and it didn't change the sound.

I checked another character currently on the fleet and did notice that the sound would change when she was walking on a carpeted area so it looks like it's not so much the boots I'm wearing but the type of surface I'm walking on. My main is currently on Nar Shaddaa, metal floors everywhere so it makes sense that his footsteps would be louder than my other character walking on carpet but still, it's so loud! The last thing I just tried is increasing the zoom level to max thinking it would change the volume of my steps depending on how far away I am from the character but that also didn't do anything. I guess I'll just have to learn to deal with it.

The sound of your footsteps is tied, not to your footwear or your legwear, but to your chest piece. Changing your chest piece will change the sound of your footsteps. This can be done with the piece you're wearing or with the outfit designer (obviously, that outfit has to be active).

Whether there is an audio setting you can adjust, I'm not certain. I don't have access to the get at the moment to check.

The sound of your footsteps is tied, not to your footwear or your legwear, but to your chest piece. Changing your chest piece will change the sound of your footsteps. This can be done with the piece you're wearing or with the outfit designer (obviously, that outfit has to be active).

Whether there is an audio setting you can adjust, I'm not certain. I don't have access to the get at the moment to check.

I took off my chest piece, both the equipped piece and the outfit designer, walking around with my bare chest, but the sound was still the same. I didn't have another chest piece in my inventory but I'll try to equip something else at some point to see if it makes a difference. Thanks for the suggestion :)

Throughout much of my Assassin's life they wore the Dark Initiate chest piece. Later, they switched to the Royal Guardian chest piece and all of a sudden their footsteps went from sounding like they had been wearing leather boots with the Dark Initiate to wearing hobnail boots and full plate mail armor with the Royal Guardian. I've actually discovered three different footstep sounds, which are based on the chest piece one is wearing.

I initially thought your issue was with the sound that was being made, but instead it's the volume of that sound, and possibly something else. Checking the audio settings, there isn't, unfortunately (heads up Devs, quality of life suggestion here), a separate toggle or volume control for footsteps. You can turn down the Sound FX Volume, which controls the volume of your footsteps, but that will also decrease the volume for all other effects such as blaster fire, the sound of your lightsaber igniting, abilities, etc. Perhaps by playing with the Sound FX Volume and Master Volume sliders you can find a balance where the volume of effects is acceptable but your footsteps aren't so distracting. On a side note you mention echoing. That may be caused by something in your sound card software and not the game. Check the software your sound card uses. With my old sound card I could make it sound like I was playing in a cave.