Take Part in our upcoming Weekend Pass

CourtneyWoods

Over the last weekend, people had the opportunity to take part in the Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ Weekend Pass Free* Trial. The response was overwhelmingly successful, and we are incredibly grateful to everyone who took part. However, we also understand that not everyone has had the opportunity to play the game. To that end, we are excited to announce that individuals who did not take part in the first Weekend Pass Free Trial will have another opportunity to live out their very own Star Wars™ saga, for free, with the second Star Wars: The Old Republic Weekend Pass Free Trial! Participants in the previous Weekend Pass Free Trial and any other free trials are not eligible for this upcoming Weekend Pass Free Trial period.

Read More

joke! freeloaders get a free experience to try out swtor without having to pay a penny. When did subscribers EVER get a deal that good? Not even deluxe editions were worth the extra 20 bucks, now this game is being given out for FREE???

Oh and what do subscribers get in return? Oh we're gonna push back that patch a few more weeks and make you renew your sub if you want to experience the new updates.

Couldn't be more of a slap in the face to active subscribers.

joke! freeloaders get a free experience to try out swtor without having to pay a penny. When did subscribers EVER get a deal that good? Not even deluxe editions were worth the extra 20 bucks, now this game is being given out for FREE???

Oh and what do subscribers get in return? Oh we're gonna push back that patch a few more weeks and make you renew your sub if you want to experience the new updates.

Couldn't be more of a slap in the face to active subscribers.

they are letting people who were on the fence try it, they still have to buy it after lvl 10, or 4 days, or the first planet. OH MY GOD THEY GOT THE GAME FOR FREE, I WANT MY MONEY BACK!!!1!

Most MMOs have free trials. And every subscriber who was in open beta got a better deal, since that lasted longer than the single weekend these people are getting...

Honestly, you guys are shooting yourselves in the foot by not offering a true free trial. Limiting people to these specific weekends won't give you as much growth as you want. What about people who are otherwise interested, but work weekends?

You might want to take a lesson from Rift. Before launch they gave out beta keys like popcorn. Pretty much anyone who wanted to try the game could and got to play as much as they wanted in the weeks leading up to release. THAT is how you market an untried game. The people that like it will stay, the ones who don't won't.

I wasn't about to shell out $60 for a game that I had no idea if I would enjoy and couldn't resell if I hated. After playing this first trial weekend, I did purchase my retail copy. Give people the freedom to try it on their own terms and you might start to see the growth you want.

Edit: The free trial did not force us to pay upon reaching level 10. The limitations they gave are here: http://www.swtor.com/info/faq/game#q400211

Edited by SereneAurora

I'd recommend my friends to this... but they all play TOR already. ;)

U seriously going to sit there and try to defend this game with a straight face? It's been out for 3 months and the population is dropping rapidly..they are already giving free trials...3 months into the game....the leveling process is ok, but how can anyone sit there and say that endgame is enjoyable, innovative, or acceptable ?

" All of your friends are playing already " ? You guys will probably be the last ones here when the servers get shut down. ALL of my friends have left, and I mean ALL of them. MY friends lists are always empty, my guild withered up and died, and keep in mind this is on populated servers like The swiftsure and canderous ordo.

I wanted this game to be a success so badly, and I tried to talk my friends into staying week after week, but I can't even fool myself anymore. I am not going to WoW or any other MMO, there will just be nothing but SP games for a while until the next " big thing" comes and goes.

Huge let down from BW on this one...a huge, expensive failure.

U seriously going to sit there and try to defend this game with a straight face? It's been out for 3 months and the population is dropping rapidly..they are already giving free trials...3 months into the game....the leveling process is ok, but how can anyone sit there and say that endgame is enjoyable, innovative, or acceptable ?

" All of your friends are playing already " ? You guys will probably be the last ones here when the servers get shut down. ALL of my friends have left, and I mean ALL of them. MY friends lists are always empty, my guild withered up and died, and keep in mind this is on populated servers like The swiftsure and canderous ordo.

I wanted this game to be a success so badly, and I tried to talk my friends into staying week after week, but I can't even fool myself anymore. I am not going to WoW or any other MMO, there will just be nothing but SP games for a while until the next " big thing" comes and goes.

If you're not enjoying yourself, why are you still here? I'm glad they're giving a weekend pass, now many of my TF2 community friends can give it a try. I just wish the dev would have picked steam over craptastic origin.

Edited by Notannos
rude, no warning

What are you on about? Just because your pals have stopped playing doesn't mean everybody else have to think it's a crappy game. And the population is dropping rapidly? Last numbers released doesn't agree with you. You don't have a clue, get over yourself.

Incidentally, my guild is very active, I see people on my FL all the time, and just last night, I met two new weekend pass players - both loved the game.

And, why are you seeing a free trial as a mark of failure? This really is beyond me...

A let down for you, maybe. Not for many, many others.

What are you on about? Just because your pals have stopped playing doesn't mean everybody else have to think it's a crappy game. And the population is dropping rapidly? Last numbers released doesn't agree with you. You don't have a clue, get over yourself.

Incidentally, my guild is very active, I see people on my FL all the time, and just last night, I met two new weekend pass players - both loved the game.

And, why are you seeing a free trial as a mark of failure? This really is beyond me...

Yea the thing about the subscription numbers (statistics) they release is that... they don't actually mean much of anything. I think last I heard it was 1.7 million?

I paid for 60 days of game time up front, meaning I am still technically subscribed. As are at least 4 people that I know. None of us are currently playing. BUT, we are still part of that statistic... we are considered paying subscribers... the same is true for many many people.

Shadowtown, my server of choice has on average at peak times 50-60 people in fleet, my guild "Curb your Imperialism" used to be one of the higher population guilds on the server.

I am not exaggerating when I say that near the end of my time playing SWTOR. I logged into the game regularly with 0 guildies..... (the guild has over 100 members) call me ignorant but... I have never in my life seen that first hand.

Even if I talk in general chat and ask Un-Biased people playing the game... they tell me that population has dropped, but they believe it is just the server.

For them to use the 1.7 million subscriber statistic as a representation of the success of this broken game is laughable.... it really doesn't mean anything... I am currently a paid subscriber until my card runs out... as are most of my friends who decided to throw caution to the wind and buy 60 days up front.... I lasted longer then anyone I know... the rest have long moved on.

Edit: and yes of course some people like the game... There is a certain group of people that like virtually anything you can think of in the world...

But even people who like aspects of the game can admit that it is severely lacking in many areas. I gave it a very fair shake, and ya know.. It was not bad for a little bit... but to pay 15 dollars a month for this garbage is insane...Ilum doesn't even work at all.. come on people...

Edited by KurleyKilla

I am not just talking about my "pals". I am talking about EVERYONE that I ever added to my friends lists....EVERYONE on my lists on both servers are GONE. EVERYONE in my guild on SwiftSure , which was almost 100 people are ALL GONE. Even on the most populated servers I am seeing 100 people in the fleet, on both Imp and Rep sides....100 people ?

If you don't agree that endgame is just awful and boring you must not have accomplished very much. It took me all of 3 weeks of raiding ( which for the most part was completely boring and dumbed down ) to get pretty much full Rakata and BIS weapons. There is NO worthwhile world PVP at all thanks to crew skills missions making having to go out into the worlds and farm for materials obsolete for just about everything in every situation. Once you hit max level there is almost no reason to ever leave the fleet, unless you call the disaster that is Ilum "fun". Most servers Ilum is empty anyway because the populations are so low.

The Warzones are lame at best, and the valor grind is boring. Once you hit BM and get all your gear you will see there is NOTHING to do at 50. And the bigger problem is that it is way to ez to get full BIS everything in both PVE and PVP. And what does BW do to make things "better" ? they make it even easier to get everything...there is just no soul to this game, it is just a shiny, empty husk of an MMO, which feels less like a real MMO than anything else I have ever played...

I used to be like you, trying to fool myself into thinking that this game was fun, and the truth is, it IS fun until you hit 50...if you can stand hardly seeing anyone else the entire time you level up.....

And as far s the free trials being a sign of failure, if they happen after a couple of years, it's fine, but when they start LESS than 3 months after a game's release, that shows panic and desperation. I have been gaming for years and years, I know what I am talking about.

Edited by Monsata

For what it's worth, I took advntage of the free trial this past weekend. I had planned on getting into it from the beginning, but for a number of reasons, that didn't happen.

1) The trial lets you get as far as level 15. You can level crew skills to 40. There are various other limited access issues, like no access to the "Auction House".

2) I was able to level 5 characters to the level 10-11 range before the weekend was out. I always have a terrible time focusing on a main character...

3) The trial ran out at like 2am on Monday morning. After work on Monday, I went and picked up a copy.

Obviously limited sample size, but I imagine that I'm not the only new subscriber as a result of last weekend's trial.

EDIT: BTW, there was 240 ppl on the Imperial Fleet on The Fatman yesterday. around 140 on Korriban.

Edited by Jummyjum

For the 2 months that I've been playing my server has grown. My guild number increased & more friends online. I have yet to see anyone quit because this game is bad. (Only 1 person.) Everyone I talk to on this game has loved this game and defends it with all they got. This game is rapidly growing and *sigh* the same group on the forums keep complaining about server decrease. Oh well?

I keep playing and enjoying it. I love this weekend pass so new players could come and enjoy this game as well.

For the people saying "U are kidding me? This game stinks!!!" Everyone has their different opinion, obviously you didnt enjoy the game and that doesn't mean everyone else won't.

For the people saying this game will die: Its rapidly growing and haters will say its dead.

For the people saying this trial is a horrible idea, Uhm 4 days? Wow I'm so offended. (8 days total 2 weekends.) Max level 15. Those are some great levels and enough to know a great storyline is coming. Causing suspense. ~

Yes of course this is my opnion.

Side note: Can't wait for 1.2 Patch.

For the 2 months that I've been playing my server has grown. My guild number increased & more friends online. I have yet to see anyone quit because this game is bad. (Only 1 person.) Everyone I talk to on this game has loved this game and defends it with all they got. This game is rapidly growing and *sigh* the same group on the forums keep complaining about server decrease. Oh well?

I keep playing and enjoying it. I love this weekend pass so new players could come and enjoy this game as well.

For the people saying "U are kidding me? This game stinks!!!" Everyone has their different opinion, obviously you didnt enjoy the game and that doesn't mean everyone else won't.

For the people saying this game will die: Its rapidly growing and haters will say its dead.

For the people saying this trial is a horrible idea, Uhm 4 days? Wow I'm so offended. (8 days total 2 weekends.) Max level 15. Those are some great levels and enough to know a great storyline is coming. Causing suspense. ~

Rapidly growing ? You must be high. And as far as your server growing, which server are you on? one of the two that are actually growing because the players on dead servers that haven't cancelled yet are rerolling on the 2 or 3 servers that are still fairly populated ? Make no mistake about it, the game is not growing, it is shrinking, it's just that the last ditch effort before cancelling is to attempt to reroll on the couple of servers that actually have people on them, even though most will never get their new toon to 50 because they don't want to have to put in all that work all over again because BW totally screwed up server pops from the start...give it another 30 days and you will see more and more people leaving..and as far as the " it's been 2 months and our investors are ready to cut our heads off so we gotta do something ANYTHING to raise subs " free weekend trial goes, watch how many of those people stick with the game past their first paid month or so.

Despite a sterile and barren leveling experience, people do not figure out how empty this game is until they have been 50 for a few weeks. Keep in mind, I am not a hater of this game...I desperately wanted it to succeed. But looking at the game now, the beta testers tried to warn us how empty the game was. And they were right. The worlds BW created are great for 10 minutes as you blow through them while questing for a few levels each, but that's it. At end game they might as well not be there. And look at the insane number of exploits BW allowed to make it into live, they spent the first 2 months simply trying to patch the 9639876234 exploits people were ****** the game with instead of adding content which was the only hope they had.

Well actually even if you take the stats they give as fact, the player population is dropping.

2 mil to 1.7 mil etc etc

What is up for debate is how big of a drop that is.

To say the game is "rapidly growing" at this point is completely false.

It must be nice to actually have this game be enough for you though. Unfortunately I have been exposed to so many games over the course of my life I cannot tolerate the things I see in this game. (big story on the way? Do you have autism? Have you ever read a decent book in your entire life? or played a decent single player RPG with a solid narrative IN YOUR ENTIRE LIFE!?)

You can't wait for patch 1.2 because the game is an incomplete joke of an MMO.... everything coming in patch 1.2 should have been out on release... can you imagine what some other developers could have accomplished with the budget SWTOR had?... probably *********** not...

My grandpa would be blown away by this game too.

Yea why such nerd rage because they are making 4 days free? They have to so people can know about it and try it , the game will grow we just have to w8 and stop with this comms about fail game or they are idio...s ...

:eek:

Yea the thing about the subscription numbers (statistics) they release is that... they don't actually mean much of anything. I think last I heard it was 1.7 million?

DUDE SRSLY the game is 3 months old even wow had maxx 3 milion players in the first months , w8 ffs it will be good later , damn i hate rage kids.. and btw they diden't even release it in all the country's ..

Edited by Nordicul

DUDE SRSLY the game is 3 months old even wow had maxx 3 milion players in the first months , w8 ffs it will be good later , damn i hate rage kids.. and btw they diden't even release it in all the country's ..

So much whining about WoW's endgame in vanilla too. It's looked back on with fond nostalgia now, but it was MC...that was it.

Edited by Jummyjum

Lol I never mentioned WoW... but really it had double the players SWTOR did in the first 3 months...? Doesn't that just make things look worse? I don't get your point...

"FFs wait"? "The game will be good LATER"... are you serious!!!? Do you really not see a problem with that? That is absolutely insane to me..

The game is 15 dollars a month, and 69 dollars too buy... and I have to wait for it to actually be good.... and I'm a "rage kid" for thinking that is stupid!?

Give your head a shake.

I am not even talking about end game content.... The game has a myriad of issues from bugs and graphic issues, to the broken gameplay issues such as ability delay, warzone lag, all the FP with those Line of sight bugs that still exist since launch... and yes the end game PVP planet of Ilum.... etc etc etc

Wait for it to get good?..... you must be trolling..

Edited by KurleyKilla

I paid for 60 days of game time up front, meaning I am still technically subscribed. As are at least 4 people that I know. None of us are currently playing. BUT, we are still part of that statistic... we are considered paying subscribers... the same is true for many many people.

Shadowtown, my server of choice has on average at peak times 50-60 people in fleet, my guild "Curb your Imperialism" used to be one of the higher population guilds on the server.

I am not exaggerating when I say that near the end of my time playing SWTOR. I logged into the game regularly with 0 guildies..... (the guild has over 100 members) call me ignorant but... I have never in my life seen that first hand.

Even if I talk in general chat and ask Un-Biased people playing the game... they tell me that population has dropped, but they believe it is just the server.

For them to use the 1.7 million subscriber statistic as a representation of the success of this broken game is laughable.... it really doesn't mean anything... I am currently a paid subscriber until my card runs out... as are most of my friends who decided to throw caution to the wind and buy 60 days up front.... I lasted longer then anyone I know... the rest have long moved on.

Edit: and yes of course some people like the game... There is a certain group of people that like virtually anything you can think of in the world...

But even people who like aspects of the game can admit that it is severely lacking in many areas. I gave it a very fair shake, and ya know.. It was not bad for a little bit... but to pay 15 dollars a month for this garbage is insane...Ilum doesn't even work at all.. come on people...

Well said.

I'm a high ranked pvper on The Harbringer, and this has been on my mind as of late. Recently re-subbed thinking 1.2 was out, only to find that it had been pushed back... this game has nothing to offer end-game wise and PvP is repetitive and grindy.

Most nights ill bring the issues plaguing this game up in General chat and recieve nothing but your bog-standard "QQ more" or "go back to WoW" responses, simply put - people arent interested in hearing the truth of the game. Bioware has lulled new players into thinking that this game is everything they want Star Wars to be, unfortunately the truth is that this game was badly made and people just dont want to see it.

I will stay subbed until 1.2, but to be honest I'm struggling to find reasons why.

I think this is a good move from them giving out more trials. I tried out last weeks one with my cousin and we both liked and bought the game. I don't know how end game content is but so far we're loving the game.