Is It Impossible to Play Shadow of Revan?

msbtbd

*TLDR at the end*

Hey all,

So, back when the Jedi Under Siege expansion launched, I was about to start it when the warning appeared. You know, the one that said something along the lines of "if you start this mission, any uncompleted quests/storylines will be autocompleted and all decisions will be made according to your class". Well, when I read that I was like "well, I already played through KOTFE/KOTET and ROTHC. Shadow of Revan is apparently unavailable to me since I used the straight-to-level-60 token on this character and I don't think I can go back play through the "vanilla storyline" because of that. I don't care about any other side quests, operations, or pre-KOTFE/KOTET flashpoints. Guess I'll start this Jedi Under Siege thing." and I did that feeling fairly confident, though there was a small part of me that questioned my decision. I ended up not worrying about it too much and enjoyed JUS. When Onslaught came out, I wasn't feeling any regret or worry either.

Lately, however, I have been really desiring to play through Shadow of Revan. I made the mistake of looking up Theron Shan and Lana Beniko's backstory's on Wookiepedia (because I love them and wanted to know more about them) and well, reading about what they do during Shadow of Revan (and also remembering that you can get a Theron love scene) made me realize once again how much I want to play that expansion and how I may have made a huge mistake starting Jedi Under Siege when I did.

Is it really impossible to play through Shadow of Revan now that I have already completed Jedi Under Siege and Onslaught and because the character I've been using since KOTFE first came out is an insta-60 character? Or is there a way to play it, despite all of that stuff. I mean, at this point I just want to experience the story for myself. The choices I make don't have to matter or have any effect on the gameplay now (they wouldn't have any effect on KOTFE/KOTET and JUS/Onslaught anyway. I read that you can romance Lana or Theron no matter what happened in the past so it's like the choices you make in SOR don't even matter much, unfortunately.)

TLDR, I've an insta-60 character who's already played through Jedi Under Siege and Onslaught. Is it possible or impossible to go back and play Shadow of Revan now?

Thanks to anyone who reads this and to those who take the time to reply. :)

TL:DR You'll need to create a new character because insta-60 characters are locked out of SoR. Make sure to create this as a start-at-1 character.

Supplementary advice: If you want to zip through the class story (or skip it entirely), use a Master's Datacron to become level 70 without advancing the story. It comes with a serviceable set of 230-purple "Tier 1" set-bonus gear, exactly like you used to get in Tier 1 command crates.

*TLDR at the end*

TL:DR is the equivalent of an executive summary or the abstract of a scientific paper, and it should be at the *beginning*.

how I may have made a huge mistake starting Jedi Under Siege when I did.

In the context of wanting to play through SoR, the mistake was creating an insta-60 character.

Is it really impossible to play through Shadow of Revan now that I have already completed Jedi Under Siege and Onslaught and because the character I've been using since KOTFE first came out is an insta-60 character?

Yes. It's simply because the character is insta-60, no more than that. It was true (for that character) from the moment you created the character.

The same would be true of a start-at-1 who started KotFE or JUS without playing SoR first, by the way.

If you start KotFE, you immediately lock out the class story (up to Crystal Ball on the Pub side or the post-Corellia First Strike(1) on the Imp side), the class-companion stories and the Revan/Emperor story (Prelude to Revan, Shadow of Revan and Rise of the Emperor(2)) for that character. An insta60 counts as having just that moment started KotFE.

An insta65 (no longer possible for new characters) counts as having just begun KotET, and therefore doesn't have fine-grained control over the decisions made during KotFE. (The character *can* play KotFE chapters, but the choices don't "stick".)

An insta70 (replaces insta65) is locked out of all the same things as an insta60, plus has all the decisions pre-set for KotFE, KotET and the post-KotET "Traitor" arc, and begins at JUS.

(1) There are two impside missions called First Strike. The "interesting" one in context is the second, the one that tells you to speak to a droid on the Fleet who then sends you to Ilum. The other is part of the Inquisitor class story on Corellia.

(2) The Revan/Emperor stories are:

* Prelude to Revan, aka Forged Alliances, consisting of four flashpoints and some linking story: Tython/Korriban, Korriban/Tython, Manaan and Rakata Prime.

* Shadow of Revan that happens on Rishi and Yavin

* Rise of the Emperor that happens on Ziost

TL:DR is the equivalent of an executive summary or the abstract of a scientific paper, and it should be at the *beginning*.

While this is an interesting idea to begin (one day I'll be able to say, I know the person who launched TL;DR at the beginning!") it's not how TL;DR is used in practice and actually goes against what TL;DR stands for.

After all, how can something be TL;DR before the information you're supposed to have read?