How Does Operation Explosive Conflict Handle Gear?

Does anyone know if this new Operation will expect the player to have gear from the other two Operations? Despite the constant complaining on the forums that there's not enough content, I've yet to complete either Eternity Vault or Karagga's Palace. Will I be able to do Explosive Conflict?

Does anyone know if this new Operation will expect the player to have gear from the other two Operations? Despite the constant complaining on the forums that there's not enough content, I've yet to complete either Eternity Vault or Karagga's Palace. Will I be able to do Explosive Conflict?

from what i remember you will be able to do story mode in minimal gear but you cant do HM or NMM with out near full rakata

from what i remember you will be able to do story mode in minimal gear but you cant do HM or NMM with out near full rakata

I'm fine with that. I don't intend to ever do Hard/Nightmare Mode. I just want to play through it. I get crushed when I tried Eternity Vault, turned my back to Operations, and never looked back. I'm willing to give the new Operation and this "story mode" a second chance.

I'm fine with that. I don't intend to ever do Hard/Nightmare Mode. I just want to play through it. I get crushed when I tried Eternity Vault, turned my back to Operations, and never looked back. I'm willing to give the new Operation and this "story mode" a second chance.

if you got crushed in normal ev then you likely wont do any better in explosive conflict.

Even in story mode, there will be mechanics that must be taken advantage of or avoided, just like Eternity Vault.

if you got crushed in normal ev then you likely wont do any better in explosive conflict.

Even in story mode, there will be mechanics that must be taken advantage of or avoided, just like Eternity Vault.

Looks like I'll just be ignoring this new content, then. Thanks for the info.

Looks like I'll just be ignoring this new content, then. Thanks for the info.

Why? Granted I don't know your gaming background, skill level, etc, but why ignore the content that the developers intended you to enjoy enough that you keep playing after you finish your story arc?

Gear isn't really an issue unless you're a tank or healer (if you are, both have dps talent trees if you don't want that responsibility in operations). You'll do just fine as a dps in level 50 blues or lvl 50 mods in orange gear, the enrage timers aren't harsh (at least in EV). The only reason anyone will want anything better is because they want to blitz through it without any effort.

Tactics-wise fights usually have 1 or 2 gimmicks, once you know the gimmick, it's not as intense. If you're in a semi-organized group, someone familiar with the fight can easily call out in ventrilo/mumble when something is happening (adds, frenzy, etc). There are also dozens of walk-through videos for each boss on youtube if you want to do some research.

Long story short: Don't give up on a major part of end-game content because of one bad experience. Find a guild if you don't have one you like at the moment and run with them. PUG raid groups are generally to be avoided as most prefer pointing fingers and ridicule over effort, but maybe I'm just getting more cynical.

Edited by Okolo

Get help from friends on storyline fights.

I never did this. The class stories aren't difficult.

cause ignoring it is so much easier then just learning how to play

It's not that I don't know how to play. I just don't want to do Operations that much. It doesn't really appeal to me. I'm not willing to put in the time to get the gear because it's just not important to me. I'd like to see the story and the mechanics, but that's about it. Trying to get a group together to engage in some instance that takes two hours is just not for me. To me, it's just not worth the time investment when I could be doing other, more enjoyable things.

Why? Granted I don't know your gaming background, skill level, etc, but why ignore the content that the developers intended you to enjoy enough that you keep playing after you finish your story arc?

I still haven't finished a storyline. My Shadow and Sentinel are both 50, though. My Combat Medic is getting up there in levels as well.

Gear isn't really an issue unless you're a tank or healer (if you are, both have dps talent trees if you don't want that responsibility in operations).

Typically, I play healers and tanks. I don't like playing DPS, which is part of why my Sentinel doesn't get played anymore.

Long story short: Don't give up on a major part of end-game content because of one bad experience.

I don't like the massive groups or the time investment in how long these Operations take. They're just not fun for me or things that I'm interested in. Yes, my first experience was quite horrible, but that's not the only factor in why I'm just going to do other things. "Ignoring" probably wasn't the best diction choice on my end. It's more like "just not doing."

Find a guild if you don't have one you like at the moment and run with them. PUG raid groups are generally to be avoided as most prefer pointing fingers and ridicule over effort, but maybe I'm just getting more cynical.

I run two guilds. I have assigned people to run Operations (which was decided on pre-launch when I knew Operations were not going to be for me) so that I don't have to deal with them. You're right about pick up groups as well. Everyone blames each other regardless of the activity or true cause of failure. Being "cynical," in this case, is more like just objective analysis.

Edited by flyersfan

I don't like the massive groups or the time investment in how long these Operations take.

Think of Operations as twice as large as flashpoints. While they are only 1,5 the length (5 bosses instead of 3+ a bonus one), they take a bit more time in organizing.

A well-coordinated group can (and has) cleared KP in less time than it took a PUG to clear FE HM. With a relatively smooth run and a group that hits the ground running (doesn't take 15 minutes to set up and get inside the instance), raids can be cleared in under 2 hours.

It's very doable, very fun, and very lucrative (easiest way to gear). The only frustration I have with normal modes is that you can't distribute loot, it's auto distributed. Other than that, my guild does normal modes every week to gear new people up, and to hone our tactics.

Do give it one more shot ;) As a tank, I find it to be a breeze.

When you know the encounters, normal mode EV can be done in like 45 minutes. You dont need to invest time into gear really. Do some dailies that take an hour for a couple days and purchase all the mods for your gear. That will pretty much be good enough for normal modes. KP is a little bit tougher.

As far as large groups go... 8 people is not really a large group. I understand that you like to play solo or in small groups but Ops are meant for people that like to be part of a team.

Edited by Soluss

It's not that I don't know how to play. I just don't want to do Operations that much. It doesn't really appeal to me. I'm not willing to put in the time to get the gear because it's just not important to me. I'd like to see the story and the mechanics, but that's about it. Trying to get a group together to engage in some instance that takes two hours is just not for me. To me, it's just not worth the time investment when I could be doing other, more enjoyable things.

I don't like the massive groups or the time investment in how long these Operations take. They're just not fun for me or things that I'm interested in. Yes, my first experience was quite horrible, but that's not the only factor in why I'm just going to do other things. "Ignoring" probably wasn't the best diction choice on my end. It's more like "just not doing."

then why did you say you'd ignore it after someone mentioned about the fact that there will be mech that you have to do even in story mode and not wanting to time to get gear didnt realize it was that hard i had near full columi 2 weeks after hitting 50 due to me running flashpoints which were easy imo you sould lazy and dont want to try so you're missing out

and btw a somewhat decent group will clear normal eve in 45-1 hour

okay so u made a post about operations and the difficulty and wanted to know if the new raid would be any different. Then when people answered with suggestions u turn around and say Oh i have no interest in operations i dont like them and there not for me. Then go into detail why...

then why did you say you'd ignore it after someone mentioned about the fact that there will be mech that you have to do even in story mode and not wanting to time to get gear didnt realize it was that hard i had near full columi 2 weeks after hitting 50 due to me running flashpoints which were easy imo you sould lazy and dont want to try so you're missing out

and btw a somewhat decent group will clear normal eve in 45-1 hour

I never said it was hard. I just said I didn't care enough to prep for it. There are other things in the game that I'd rather do. I was curious on how the Operation would be scaled. That is all.

Also, punctuation is awesome. You should try it some time.

okay so u made a post about operations and the difficulty and wanted to know if the new raid would be any different. Then when people answered with suggestions u turn around and say Oh i have no interest in operations i dont like them and there not for me. Then go into detail why...

I did not make a post about the difficult of Operations. I made a post about whether or not the new Operation will expect the player to have gear from the other two Operations. I was also asked why I felt this way and then explained.

Thanks for continuing to make the forums a wonderful place for the people with legitimate questions.

Edited by flyersfan

When you know the encounters, normal mode EV can be done in like 45 minutes. You dont need to invest time into gear really. Do some dailies that take an hour for a couple days and purchase all the mods for your gear. That will pretty much be good enough for normal modes. KP is a little bit tougher.

As far as large groups go... 8 people is not really a large group. I understand that you like to play solo or in small groups but Ops are meant for people that like to be part of a team.

Unfortunately, I'm not able to do the daily missions yet since I haven't finished my storyline for either character. I've actually got a whole planet to go yet not including the rest of Voss. I'm sure I'll do some Hard Mode Flashpoints before I start all that other stuff, but that's likely to be weeks from now.

Yes, I prefer small groups. I find them easier to organise and more personal. I think 8 people is a lot and 16 is just something that I'm not likely to ever try.

Thanks for the info, though.

As other people have said, normal mode EV takes less than an hour once you know how the encounters work. We're a very casual guild and only do operations once a week and outside of that I'm barely even in game any more atm because I have other stuff to do, but it's very easy to do normal mode operations and doesn't really take any extra time at all. I could get away with only logging in for the operations if I wanted to, so it's not like it requires any extra time investment from you at all.

Heck, EV pretty much starts with a boss encounter right out of the gate so you don't even have to do any trash to start trying it.