Of Blood and Honor - Jailbreak

silvershadows

I had the same idea, to go mainly dark side on my agent. But as the story progresses, I really made a turning point around Voss, causing my reactions to shift more to the light... I don't want to spoil too much, so you'll just have to play, but there are many interpretations that can be done on an imperial agent. I had an operative as my first character and when I finish my JK story, I will probably level a new agent, a sniper this time...

Knowing myself, if i play an IA and go through it as mainly darkside (I will likely pick some light side, depending - even Umbral made some light side decisions when they were in the best interest of the Empire) and feel like I've left too much undone, I'll go through it again the other way around, lol.

Progress report -

A quarter of the way already through writing Deepening Shadows, though the title may be changed to In the Shadows: Between the Dark and Light, to be followed by In the Shadows: Eclipse, after I write more BH stories.

Seems like this story might even break my length record by quite a bit, I had forgotten how much I love writing about Jedi Master Isad'ia, and it's proving a nice distraction while I charge myself up for more Of Blood and Honor work.

Progress report -

A quarter of the way already through writing Deepening Shadows, though the title may be changed to In the Shadows: Between the Dark and Light, to be followed by In the Shadows: Eclipse, after I write more BH stories.

Seems like this story might even break my length record by quite a bit, I had forgotten how much I love writing about Jedi Master Isad'ia, and it's proving a nice distraction while I charge myself up for more Of Blood and Honor work.

Don't waste time writing here!! FINISH YOUR NOVEL, then come writing here! hahahaha :-)

Ok, I will massage your ego, I like it and hope to see more.

Ha, well thanks.

The ego massaging actually helps me, because despite knowing that I have talent, I am continuously worried when people don't comment on my stories, and I see other stories getting comments - ones with no real plot or substance other than a lot of fluff words and a barely-there premise designed only to allow the writer to create a situation which would essentially never happen.

On the other hand, I meticulously research everything I write (one reason it takes so long in between stories) and try to include sub plots (Apoc's hand injury has been a reoccurring theme which is mentioned from time to time, though it hasn't affected her combat performance - yet). So I can get a little down when I see something like 500 views and there's only comments from 2 different people. Makes me wonder what I'm doing wrong.

I don't think you're doing anything wrong. The reason I enjoy yours is well, quite frankly its refreshing to see enjoyable characters that are well, mean. Most of the other Sith in these stories are lightsided and appallingly angsty and noble, and well, I like my empire-sided folks to be bad people. Not necessarily buahahah-twirl-my-mustache, lets take down the school kids for their lunch money evil, but yeah lets support slavery and a rigid caste system, and punishment and death for failing. Doing the things they do for greed and power and self preservation. Not that there can't be good eggs among them, but this is the Sith Empire for crying out loud! I like how you imbue these guys with likable and unlikable characteristics while maintaining relationships and identifiable emotions while still being people I wouldn't want to know in real life.

Thank you very much, that actually tells me a lot.

I've played "evil" characters in many role-playing games, and one of the first things I had to teach myself in order to play one correctly is that evil characters don't really think of themselves as evil, they think of themselves as the good ones and everyone else is obviously evil and corrupt.

Apoc and Torian are both light side, but the fact that they're Mandalorians gives them a hard edge that they wouldn't otherwise have. Umbral and Quinn are basically evil incarnate, lol. The story I'm working on now (which centers on Jedi Master Isad'ia and Darth Umbral again like my first one did) has a lot more from them and I hope I can once again pull off the "Love to hate them" feeling.

I dont like the way people seem to humanize the Sith warrior and Quinn either. Yes, they're people and they have emotions, but their darkness is what makes the characters. I don't know if people write them as nobler and kinder than they are because it's hard to sympathize with a villain, or if people truly believe that evil people cannot feel love or any kind of higher emotion other than hate, which is simply untrue. Evil people love - it's just usually a very selfish, passionate, and volatile love.

I had wanted to write a book for a long time in which the protagonists are 'evil' and the antagonists 'good'. While I don't do that with my SW fiction yet, I may one day write a story from the point of view of Umbral and Quinn's child. Until then, I'll content myself with making Darth Umbral one sinister, dark, complicated woman with a vicious streak the size of Yavin 4.

• 1 month later...
Shakes head..... once again I am amazed at the detail that this story entails! I'm sorry that Layne's sister couldn't get past her anger, but he has gained a great family with Apoc, Torian, and Mako! Thanks for posting this, and I'll look forward to other stories in the future! Sincerely, Teresa :)

Shakes head..... once again I am amazed at the detail that this story entails! I'm sorry that Layne's sister couldn't get past her anger, but he has gained a great family with Apoc, Torian, and Mako! Thanks for posting this, and I'll look forward to other stories in the future! Sincerely, Teresa :)

Thanks a lot! I really appreciate it when people take the time to comment, I enjoy knowing other people love my stories as much as I do.

Currently working on the sequel to A Smuggler's Tale, which I am happy to say contains a lot more detail and background than A Smuggler's Tale did. I've been really enjoying writing some things from Darth Umbral's perspective and being able to write from Jaesa and Pierce's perspectives is also fun.

Following the one I'm working on now, I have several ideas for novellas I've been floating around, including a spin-off series featuring Raia Jesses, as well as more Of Blood and Honor, since Apoc and Torian have my heart in a way no other characters ever have.

Looking forward to giving you more things to read, and thank you for enjoying my work!

Thanks a lot! I really appreciate it when people take the time to comment, I enjoy knowing other people love my stories as much as I do.

Currently working on the sequel to A Smuggler's Tale, which I am happy to say contains a lot more detail and background than A Smuggler's Tale did. I've been really enjoying writing some things from Darth Umbral's perspective and being able to write from Jaesa and Pierce's perspectives is also fun.

Following the one I'm working on now, I have several ideas for novellas I've been floating around, including a spin-off series featuring Raia Jesses, as well as more Of Blood and Honor, since Apoc and Torian have my heart in a way no other characters ever have.

Looking forward to giving you more things to read, and thank you for enjoying my work!

I can't wait! :-)

I can't wait! :-)

Working hard!

A couple fun little excerpts from the In the Shadows novella I'm working on now, if you're interested (these are all in order, though seperated by quite a bit, just little bits of the story that I pulled out as a preview):

Jedi Master Isad'ia has a vision -

One foot in front of the other. Step by step, she made her way forward through the darkness that surrounded her, enveloping her body in its nebulous shroud. Her hand brushed over her eyes, as if trying to banish the night that clouded her vision. Ahead of her, two glowing pinpoints of light smoldered like the embers of a fire that would not be quenched.

The sense of dread that filled her was unusual; a strange feeling for one who always strove to keep herself in balance. Her feet grew heavier, as if they, too, were afraid of what might be beyond the darkness. “Turn back,” the air seemed to whisper. “You do not want to see what lies ahead.” A shake of her head, and she was in control once more.

Before her, the figure of a man appeared, cloaked and hooded in thick black robes. Beneath the cowl that hid his face shimmered the lights she had seen, resolving themselves into the eyes of the dark one. He did not stand upon the ground, but rather floated, ghostlike, suspended in the air.

A bone white hand extended from his voluminous sleeve, the index finger stretching forth to point at the earth in front of her. Her eyes followed the movement, and she felt a knot form in her stomach as she stopped walking, halting her steps centimeters before falling into the massive pit that suddenly yawned at her feet.

The stench of rot and decay filled her nostrils as she peeked over the chasm’s edge. An icy hand squeezed her heart as she saw what lay within. There, amidst bubbling, foul-smelling mud, limbs tangled together like discarded dolls, were the bodies of those she knew and loved. Her friends, her apprentice. Her lover, and even her master – who had been killed long ago.

Mold grew in patches over their skin, insects and rodents swarmed over their bodies. Her heart lurched in her chest as she felt the heavy touch of the dark man’s hand fall upon her shoulder, and she whirled away from him, only to find herself face to face with his hooded countenance.

The dark-cloaked one held a shovel, its long handle gripped in his pale hand, which he extended out toward her as if proffering a gift. Unbidden, her own hands reached out to take it, fingers curling around the smooth wood.

Unable to stop herself, she dug the tool into the loose dirt beneath her, lifting a shovelful of soil. Turning, she spilled the black earth into the hole, watching it tumble through the air to spatter over the faces of her friends as they lay in death at the bottom of the pit. Next to her, the hooded man began to laugh.

Isad’ia’s eyes flew open, and she sat upright in her bed, pulling her knees to her chest and wrapping her arms around them. As she rested her chin on her knees, she noticed her body was shaking, the tips of her lekku twitching as they draped themselves over her shoulders.

A sudden flare of light caused her to blink her amethyst eyes and lift a hand to ward off the intrusive glare. Peering through her fingers, she saw the source of the light – a man seated in the chair next to her bed, who stared at her with concern darkening his deep brown gaze.

“Another one?” His question was a soft whisper, and she lowered her hand, resting it on the blanket that covered the bed, her sky-blue fingers picking at a loose thread.

“No,” she replied, shaking her head. “More of the same.”

In an Alderaan cantina -

“Actually,” he began, “ol’ Doc did find out that our smuggler friend was in the palace. Apparently it caused quite the stir among the good nobles of the House.” He chuckled softly, shaking his head. “They can’t believe such riff-raff was allowed in the palace.”

The Jedi Master couldn’t help but smile a bit at Doc’s irreverent tone. “True,” she said softly. “I can’t believe they let me bring you in there, either.”

He clasped his hand over his heart, widening his brown eyes. “Oh you wound me, beautiful.” She grinned at him and was rewarded once more with his brilliant, cocky smile. A ripple of awareness suddenly slid up and down her spine. Her right braintail twitched, and she turned her head in time to see the cantina door open.

Stomping snow off her boots, Captain Lillian Riggs brushed her hands down her dark green vest, sending a cascade of tiny white ice shards to the floor. “Hey,” she called to no-one in particular. “It’s snowing!”

The blonde waitress arched an eyebrow in the smuggler’s direction, stepping up to her just as Corso shook the snow out of his long, twisted knots of hair. Coughing into her delicate hand, the girl winced as a shower of cold particles spattered across her face. “Can I help you?”

“Sure, Corellian whiskey, and make it snappy, wouldya?” Lillian nodded at the girl and made shooing motions with her hands. Glancing around the room at the quiet scattering of patrons, the smuggler furrowed her brow. “I thought this was a cantina, not a clubhouse for the rich and boring.”

“If you don’t mind, ma’am,” the blonde’s tone was frosty, “our clientele prefer a more – upscale atmosphere than what you’re used to. Perhaps you’d like to try a different establishment.”

“You know, just once today I’d like to walk into a place, and not get kicked out of it.” Lillian scowled darkly, turning to Corso. “Let’s go.”

“Wait.” The softly accented voice caused Lillian’s heart to skip a beat. She felt Corso stiffen at her side, and her silver eyes slid shut. Swallowing past the lump that suddenly grew in her throat, Lillian attempted to prepare herself for what she would see when she turned around.

“I will vouch for these two.” The quiet voice held a note of command. “They are welcome here, and you would be happy to serve them.”

“You are welcome here.” The girl smiled at Corso, gesturing to the corner booth where Doc sat. “I would be happy to serve you.” She turned and left to fill Lillian’s order.

“Lilly?” Corso’s hand reached out, his fingers twining around hers. He offered her hand a little squeeze. “You want to stay?”

“Yeah.” Her voice was quiet, almost inaudible. Clearing her throat, she lifted her head, opening her eyes. “Yeah,” she said again, louder. “Let’s stay.”

He kept his hold on her hand as she turned, focusing her gaze on the blue-skinned Jedi who stood there, gracefully muscled body enwrapped in the same traditional Twi’lek leathers she had worn the last time they happened to meet. The platinum and electrum lightsaber hilts at her hips were the same; the tattooed spirals around her lekku hadn’t changed. As Isad’ia’s amethyst eyes met Lillian’s silver ones, the smuggler saw within them the same serenity.

There is no emotion, there is peace -

“You let her go?” Isad’ia turned to see Doc standing behind her, looking slightly winded. Red spots colored his cheeks, and his hair was a mess of flyaway strands. “You took off like a rocket tram launched out of a supernova! I’m so tired from chasing after you, I think I’ll have to spend the next two days in bed.”

“Is that so?” Isad’ia reached for her belt, pulling out her comlink. Before thumbing it on, she glanced sidelong at Doc. He was giving her that ridiculously charming grin of his, and she couldn’t help but smile back, shaking her head slightly. “Oh, just say it.”

“Bed rest works best when someone else is in the bed with you, beautiful.” He gave her a rogueish wink.

“Well,” she shrugged her shoulders gracefully, “I’m going to be pretty busy for the next few days, so I guess you’ll have to make do with just yourself.” She offered him a comforting pat on the back.

He pretended to stagger back, hands clutching at his chest. “Through the heart, gorgeous.”

“I’m not a doctor, but I think you’ll live.” She thumbed on her comlink, speaking into the device. “Kira, are you with the Warden at the spaceport?”

Kira’s voice came crackling back through the comlink. “Yes, Master Isad’ia. Do you need me at the palace? I was monitoring transmissions and heard about Lord Kero Organa.”

“No, Kira, I need you to do something else.” Isad’ia could practically sense Kira’s eagerness over the comlink. “There is a Sith heading to the spaceport.”

“A Sith?” Kira’s voice was incredulous. “You’re kidding. No, you don’t do that. Wait – is that who murdered Kero Organa?”

“Focus, Kira.” Isad’ia sighed softly. “I need you to find her ship. I know it’s there – I sensed that much from her desire to flee.”

“Find the ship, got it.” There was a slight pause in the transmission. “And then what? Do I need to take her down?”

“No, you need to let her leave.”

“Master?” Kira’s tone indicated that she thought Isad’ia might have lost her mind.

“After you place a tracking beacon on her hull.” The Twi’lek chuckled quietly. “You don’t have long, she’s in a hurry.” She ended the transmission, clipping the comlink back into place on her belt.

“Ok, that’s it.” Doc’s brow was furrowed. “I’m officially confused.”

Isad’ia smiled at him, then glanced up at the darkened night sky. Wispy clouds skittered across the full moon that dominated her vision. “This is how it’s supposed to be.”

“What does that mean?” He grabbed her arm, tugging her along with him across the palace courtyard, ducking into a small stand of trees. Out of sight of the public, he placed his hands on her slender shoulders, staring down at her with obvious concern. “How it’s supposed to be?”

“This is the Force at work, Doc.” She tilted her head to look up at him. “Kira will succeed, the Sith will escape, and we will follow her to Darth Umbral.”

The serene light in Isad’ia’s eyes caused a lump to grow in Doc’s throat. “Tell me why.”

She lifted a hand, placing her fingertips against his cheek. She gave him another little smile, one tinged with a wistful sadness. “It is my destiny.”

He shook his head, opening his mouth as if to speak. Her azure fingers pressed to his lips, silencing his inevitable protest. For a long moment they stood there, his hands on her shoulders, her light touch caressing his face.

“The only destiny I want,” Doc said quietly, “Is the one where I get to look at you every day, all day, until the day I die.”

“Some people are able to choose their destiny.” Her fingers stilled in their movements, an image from her vision surfacing in her mind. Doc – lying in cold death at the bottom of a dark pit, the handsome face which she now touched pale and wasted, skin shrunken against the skull. Taking a step back from him, Isad’ia turned, not wanting the man who looked at her with such love to see the sudden tears that had sprung into her eyes.

“I am a Jedi,” she whispered softly, almost too quietly for him to hear. “I don’t get to choose.”

The Force is strong with this one-

Darth Umbral paced back and forth across the rich carpeting, her form encased in heavy black robes that hid the toned musculature of the body that moved beneath them. In her arms, Xavian stared up at her as she spoke to him in a quiet voice.

“This, my son, is the problem the Empire faces.” She looked down at the baby, strands of her scarlet hair falling down to frame her face, brushing against his chubby little hand. “The Sith are losing power. Weakness has begun to infect us. Like a virus that multiplies, unworthy initiates are rising in the ranks. The Academy is taking anyone with the least bit of Force-sensitivity.”

She shook her head as she moved, left to right across the room. Her heavy boots made almost no noise as they sank into the black carpeting. “Where before, those without the strength necessary to master the Force would have been culled like the pathetic wretches they are, they are instead coddled and given over to Masters who use them as they see fit, front-line soldiers for their pitiful wars against each other.”

Her sapphire eyes blazed in the dim light that shone in the shadowed room, and she chuckled grimly. “I despise them,” she whispered, the sound hissing into the baby’s ears as she leaned down toward him. “The Sith on Dromund Kaas and elsewhere in the galaxy, concerned only with their petty little schemes, feeble attempts at grabbing power that extends no further than the tiny little world they believe revolves around them.”

Xavian cooed softly as if in agreement, prompting a smile to lift the corners of Umbral’s lips. Slipping the index finger of her free hand into his palm, she rocked him gently back and forth as his fingers closed around hers.

“But you, my son, will not be like that.” The infant’s wide blue eyes stared up at her, as if absorbing the import of her words. “You are my legacy, Xavian Quinn. You are destined for greatness. I can feel it.” She took in a deep breath, letting her mind sink into the Force, feeling it flow around her body, connecting her with the child in her arms.

You will be strong in the Force. Her thought was a mental caress. To her amazement, she felt Xavian respond, his own mind answering hers with a series of impressions – like fleeting images that could not quite coalesce into something recognizable, yet alive with emotion and color.

Their eyes were locked, mother and son staring at each other with a burning intensity that only amplified as the Force boiled around them. Umbral could feel the blood racing through her veins as her heart sped up, matching the beating rhythm of Xavian’s smaller one.

The feeling that shot through her was almost indescribable, a delicious ripple of energy that began at the base of her being and washed through her body, filling each cell with the power of the Force. Umbral suddenly felt ultra-aware, as if the thoughts of all the beings in the galaxy were at her fingertips.

Yes, my son. This is true power. The power of the Dark Side. Her sapphire eyes began to lighten, becoming paler, shifting into a yellowish-green. The whole of the galaxy can be yours. Shadows began to ripple across Umbral’s pale features, darkness dancing over her full lips.

Xavian made another contented sound, opening his pink mouth and smiling up at her. She smiled back, tilting her head slightly to the side. Her eyes changed hue again, the green draining out, leaving behind an intense yellow glow that turned quickly to orange, and then finally – to red.

The baby met her smoldering stare unflinchingly, his chubby fist rising to clench a handful of her flame-colored hair. As she leaned over him, she felt a rush of nearly overwhelming maternal pride as Xavian’s eyes began to echo the burning embers of her own.

Unconditional loyalty can be hard to come by -

“The Captain really isn’t going to like this.” Pierce felt a surge of admiration for the scarlet-haired woman before him. She had guts, he’d give her that.

“No, Lieutenant, he is not. While I hope that his reaction will be that of a father wishing the best for his child, there is a very real chance my husband’s loyalty to the Empire will win out over his loyalty to his son… and to me.”

The unspoken “again” hung in the air between them, and the fires in Umbral’s eyes suddenly dimmed, replaced once more by that expression of uncertainty. Pierce found himself again wishing he had shot Malavai Quinn long ago. “Tell me what you need, my lord.”

She stared steadily at him, a silent plea in her dark blue eyes. “I need to know that I will have your support, no matter what may come.”

She truly fears losing me. The realization washed over him, and he once more felt something squeeze his hardened heart, as it had when she had come to him in his quarters, long ago. His dark brown eyes fixed on hers, he repeated the words he had spoken to her that night. “I will always fight for you, Umbral.”

Her eyes widened slightly at his use of her name. Her mouth opened as if she would reply, but the loud, insistent chiming of her comlink filled the air between them. She shot an annoyed glare at the device even as she lifted it, thumbing it on. “Yes?”

Pierce rolled his eyes as Malavai Quinn’s cultured voice crackled through the speaker. “My lord, please come to the war room immediately. We have a bit of a… situation.”

Umbral frowned. “What sort of situation, Captain? I am occupied at the moment.”

“My apologies, my lord,” Quinn’s voice was anything but apologetic. “But this requires your immediate attention. It is something of an emergency.”

“Very well,” Umbral ground the words out between clenched teeth. “I will be along immediately.” She replaced the comlink on her belt, then sighed as she saw Pierce standing there, watching her intently.

“You want me to come with you?” The former black ops agent raised his eyebrow at her, gesturing with his hand toward the door.

Umbral shook her head. “No. I did really want you to double check the security in here. I hope to have a research team out within a week.” At his nod, she began to move toward the door. Before stepping through, she turned once more to face him.

“I am grateful for your loyalty, Lieutenant.” She slipped through the door and was gone, leaving behind the faint scent of exotic, night-blooming flowers.

He stared after her, his right hand unconsciously lifting to place his fist over his heart. “It is an honor to serve you, my lord.”

Of course, there is much much more. I am extremely pleased with the way this one is turning out. The evolution of my writing style is really becoming apparent, as when I go back and re-read my own work, I feel as if each one is a vast improvement over the previous. I have occasionally caused myself to pause while writing to quietly exclaim, "Woah this is good!"

Of course, that's one of the reasons I do this, to shock myself when I am reading something I wrote, and completely forget that I, in fact, wrote it, and not some other, better author. lol!

Wow, now I am superstoked to read the full story.

There is no emotion, there is peace - This chapter made a tear sprung in my eye. I had a really bad feeling about what's going to happen to Isad'ia. Especially after reading Jedi Master Isad'ia has a vision -. I'm feeling a sort of self-sacrifice to save her beloved ones... Also the mystery of the darkhooded man: is he a character like the grim reaper or the future embodiment of Xavian Quinn.

as I quote myself, I can't wait :) Do you happen to have an ETA on this story?

Wow, now I am superstoked to read the full story.

There is no emotion, there is peace - This chapter made a tear sprung in my eye. I had a really bad feeling about what's going to happen to Isad'ia. Especially after reading Jedi Master Isad'ia has a vision -. I'm feeling a sort of self-sacrifice to save her beloved ones... Also the mystery of the darkhooded man: is he a character like the grim reaper or the future embodiment of Xavian Quinn.

as I quote myself, I can't wait :) Do you happen to have an ETA on this story?

I really wish I could give you an ETA that was somewhat specific. Because writing for me happens in bursts where I write like a fiend for a week or two then stop until inspiration comes knocking again, it really could be anywhere from two weeks to two more months.

I'm trying my hardest to finish it, but it has really grown in scope since my first inception of the plot (which began immediately after finishing my first, smuggler story, and actually came into being previous to my writing of Mandalorian Vacation. I found (and still find) it rather daunting.

In truth, Isad'ia's vision holds several possible meanings, and of course I am the only one who knows which one is true. She has several more throughout the story, as they are increasing in frequency as the plot progresses. It will take many years for the full meaning of her visions to become clear, and it just might shock all involved.

Indeed, writing this story has already planted the seeds of many others to follow, and I am thoroughly enjoying myself - Umbral, in particular, is a fascinating character to write. In fact, scenes that feature her seem to flow more easily than ones which dont, perhaps because I myself am always waiting on the edge of my seat to see just what the Dark Lord might do or say next.

In any case, it is my sincerest hope that I finish this work soon, but I can't force it, or it will feel contrived. If things keep flowing the way they have been though, I would say it will be closer to the two week mark rather than two months.

Edited by silvershadows