To people who think Kaliyo is uesless

Ahebish

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And Just to FYI Kaliyo is in all greens with like 1 blue, and with exception to weapon which is a hand-me-down orange blaster rifle modded up to level 30.

She did die, but, she lasted long enough I was able to finish off the elite myself. Which was easy.

Edited by Ahebish

hells to the yes. i personally love her!! thank you for posting pro kaliyo!

Try doing that with Vector and watch what happens.

You will get *****. Because Vector wears light armor, and is a DPS'er not a tank.

Granted he has very good DPS for what he is... but Kaliyo for me is more geared. And incidently does more damage than Vector does for me.

And all of her armor has defense rating on it.

Imagine what all orange heavy armor would do for her modded with defense rating and/or shield absorb chance/rating.

That being said, I'm gearing myself first before I gear my companion with orange gear

Of course now I have 6 pieces of orange modded gear for myself. Working on more of course... As I level.

Edited by Ahebish

Tanking companions were much more useful when they had self armor buffs. Compare it to a tanking-specced player who doesnt use his or her tanking stance: Threat considerations aside, if I didnt use ion gas cylinder on my powertech (which provides +50% armor), I'd be just as squishy as a damage dealer class.

Tanking companions were much more useful when they had self armor buffs. Compare it to a tanking-specced player who doesnt use his or her tanking stance: Threat considerations aside, if I didnt use ion gas cylinder on my powertech (which provides +50% armor), I'd be just as squishy as a damage dealer class.

Do companions have oh crap buffs?

Because I haven't seen one yet for Kalio

She has 1 defensive tank buff which gives threat gen. But otherwise her other buff is for DPS.

I'm not aware of a CD like you have on a PT that is usable by a companion yet.

That said, a player tank will always perform better as should be expected. But people were complaining about Kaliyo being useless as a tank, and I was just showing 1 such example of why people are doing it wrong.

Edited by Ahebish

I'm not saying it couldn't be done. I'm just saying you didn't do it.

Based on the title of this thread I would have expected you to provide ample proof that you defeated the creature, including the log entry and loot drop. Not a screenshot of you and can Kaliyo standing over a corpse at full health.

If you really wanted to make a statement stealth into a much higher level area and claim you killed something there.

Do companions have oh crap buffs?

Because I haven't seen one yet for Kalio

She has 1 defensive tank buff which gives threat gen. But otherwise her other buff is for DPS.

I'm not aware of a CD like you have on a PT that is usable by a companion yet.

During earlier beta builds, the defensive tank buffs that you're talking about also gave the companion additional armor. Kaliyo's self-buff that gives threat generation also gave her 60% more armor - which made her (and other tanking companions) much more useful for soloing, especially for DPS and healer specced players.

Those armor increases were removed from tanking companions though - probably because a healer with a tank companion could solo extremely tough mobs.

I'm not saying it couldn't be done. I'm just saying you didn't do it.

Based on the title of this thread I would have expected you to provide ample proof that you defeated the creature, including the log entry and loot drop. Not a screenshot of you and can Kaliyo standing over a corpse at full health.

If you really wanted to make a statement stealth into a much higher level area and claim you killed something there.

Ahh,

Well it just so happens I have a fraps video of it.

Would you care to see it?

I am rendering the video now, will take a few minutes for it to finish and upload.

But I'd be happy to show anyone who thinks it can't be done.

I would like to note, right before I killed this 33 gold elite... I agro'd more mobs... so I did die, but not before the elite did. If it wasn't for the adds I would not have died at all. As you will clearly be able to tell from the video.

:)

Edited by Ahebish

Yeah we know. This is what people are complaining about. Every single elite situation Kaliyo is put into, she usually dies with you resorting to using every single c/d in your arsenal. Other classes with tanks don't have to deal with their companion dying or nearly dying every difficult pull and then having downtime.

I'm 40 now and have used Doctor Lokin for 5 levels and he is superior. I actually finish elite mobs with BOTH of us alive and minimal c/d usage.

The point about Kaliyo is she sucks. She functions to a degree and you could easily get to 50 with her, but there are easier options. Not to mention, other classes again have a much easier time leveling. Its just a quality of life issue.

Yeah we know. This is what people are complaining about. Every single elite situation Kaliyo is put into, she usually dies with you resorting to using every single c/d in your arsenal. Other classes with tanks don't have to deal with their companion dying or nearly dying every difficult pull and then having downtime.

I'm 40 now and have used Doctor Lokin for 5 levels and he is superior. I actually finish elite mobs with BOTH of us alive and minimal c/d usage.

The point about Kaliyo is she sucks. She functions to a degree and you could easily get to 50 with her, but there are easier options. Not to mention, other classes again have a much easier time leveling. Its just a quality of life issue.

Well ya, that tends to happen in group activities as well with players.... difference is player tanks have healers, kaliyo doesn't.

Simple logic

Incidently here's the video for those who think it can't be done.

You do realize I'm 2 levels below what I should be to be on Taris, and yet the last 3 planets I've been on I've done every mission lower level than I needed to be. Also, the fact I too have beat elites without dying or kaliyo dying. But, case and point "Level 33 gold elite" vs level 30 big difference. Do it against an elite my own level and it's a cake walk.

You also aren't conceiting the point in regards to gear. Gear matters. despite what elitest will tell you.

Here's the video of me fighting the 33 gold elite again for the 2nd time... because a screenshot wasn't good enough the first time.

Again noting that kaliyo is in green gear for the most part with exception to the weapon.

33_Gold_Elite.avi

Edited by Ahebish

Do you want posts of BH soloing minibosses ? Because soloing elite is lol

No, I want to see you solo a gold elite 3 levels above you with your tank companion

While wearing medium armor and your companion in all greens.

Incidently this ain't the BH forums. Go troll somewhere else.

I already think BH mercs are OP as it is in pvp so the fact you solo it on one doesn't impress me at all.

Now if you did it on your IA at level 14 I'd be impressed but we both know that isn't possible.

So what is your point?

Edited by Ahebish

i solod one of the heroic bosses in balmorra with her as a tank dps - all i did was healed her and provided a bit of dps.

with proper gear she can be your tank without any problems...

Balmorra is nothing. Mobs start hitting much harder once you get to Tatooine, Alderaan, Taris, etc. That's where you'll notice enemies quickly chewing through Kaliyo's health even when she's sporting up-to-date blues and customs.

Not saying she sucks or is impossible to solo with...but you will notice a big difference.

Balmorra is nothing. Mobs start hitting much harder once you get to Tatooine, Alderaan, Taris, etc. That's where you'll notice enemies quickly chewing through Kaliyo's health even when she's sporting up-to-date blues and customs.

Not saying she sucks or is impossible to solo with...but you will notice a big difference.

Yep.

Go try fighting a Womprat at level 22 when it spawns 2 level 27 non elites and if you win I'll be very impressed because it's not possible to win with or without your companion.

I'll let people who are stupid enough to try figure out why. I ended up in that situation by accident and someone flying by on a speeder ended up killing them for me.

Whoever that was I do appreciate that, it wasn't my intention to fight them.

I recently noticed that kaliyo doesn't have much armor. She needs something similar to the BH Ion Gas Cylinder Buff because she's only getting about 2.3k armor with the gear I've provided her. Though yet I've seen BHs of the same level get almost 5k armor rating.

Kaliyo sucks cuz she gets nothing more than a chance to shield absorb. She needs actual mitigation. I feel like Aric Jorgan lasted longer than she did when I played trooper in Beta, while having far superior damage output and area effect from him at the same time. I last longer than she does with medium armor and the same health.

She's only useful because she meatshields long enough to kill enough of a mob group that you can cover from the remainder after she dies. I soloed an early 2+ heroic on Nar Shadaa recently, and only thanks to biochem did I win, since there's a medpac type that acts as a battle rez for companions aside from its healing. Had I done it with my trooper at the same level, I'd have beasted it no problem.

This is stupid because this isn't even the worst part of Kaliyo. I did that all the time but she usually died. Get like 3 strongs and she dies in 2 seconds and you can't do enough damage to make her death mean something. I solo'd the class quest at the end of Quesh, I won't spoil anything but it's a 1v1 fight. I was 38 and the mob was 41. I used Temple and while the fight could have been easier using Doctor Lokin probably, I know I couldn't have been able to beat the fight with Kaliyo. The fact of the matter is she takes as much damage as a DPS companion but does half the damage.

The way I beat hard fights these days at level ~40 is by bouncing agro between me and Temple or Vector and using knock backs, interrupts, and CC to be able to last long enough to put out enough damage.

Edited by SynergyX

She gets a cooldown. 25% damage reduction for 12 seconds, 2min CD.

ANd btw, an elite isn't a big deal. Two elites is a big deal. Two strongs and six standards is a big deal. AN elite and a strong is a big deal.

One elite is cake even without a companion. Call me when Kaliyo tanks a Heroic 4 for you.

Edit: One elite is easy to lock down with CC, Diversion, etc to help keep Kaliyo alive. Multiple enemies is where Kaliyo's weakness is revealed. She *needs* our CC to survive.

Edited by stealthrider

This is just my experience as a sniper, but i find Kaliyo weak lategame. I find it much better to get Loke out and use myself as a tank with healing.

For kaliyo to tank lategame you must keep all her gear max, which means youre gearing up 2 people, you dont have to do that with Loke. If you just keep yourself geared up then as a sniper you get enough defensive abilities to survive the fights, even elites are easy without anyone dying.

The difference between a tanking companion and a DPS companion in survivability terms is very small, and more than offset by the fact that a DPS companion makes the fight shorter = you are less likely to run out of resources.

I experimented a lot with tanking vs. DPS companions (mostly SCORPIO vs. Temple on Voss/Corellia) and I was more successful with DPS. They were equally geared, not amazing stuff but mostly equivalent-level blues. Although poor SCORPIO can't find a blue or orange techstaff to save her life. :(

DPS companions are the way to go.