Tanks and PVP

Sumobabyends

I simply feel tanks are too powerful in pvp. I would like to see changes either less survivability or less dmg. Tank welfare game is too strong, ppl that play their class have to earn it. Tanks stand there use a cd and gtg and just spam aoe, it makes for a very sloppy and lazy game play style, I have less respect for those who play tanks in pvp and that should be changed because there are some good players that play tanks. Edited by Sumobabyends

My 2 cents, for what little its worth, tanks in tank gear are working as intended in general. The high dps issue occurs as a result of running dps gear, which personally I havent done since the crit/shield changes. I also don't tank ranked.

The point of ranked is to kill the enemy team before they kill you, so any dps you can eke out is better than the marginal at best defense provided by tank gear.

I strongly disapprove of nerfing tank damage generally over what is primarily a gearing phenomenon in PVP (because of, for example, the fact that PvE tanks do not have an issue doing too much damage, and a general nerf would affect PVE too) Encourage tanks to use tank gear, or discourage tanks from using dps gear, and see if tanks running tank gear makes the problem go away.

I simply feel tanks are too powerful in pvp. I would like to see changes either less survivability or less dmg. Tank welfare game is too strong, ppl that play their class have to earn it. Tanks stand there use a cd and gtg and just spam aoe, it makes for a very sloppy and lazy game play style, I have less respect for those who play tanks in pvp and that should be changed because there are some good players that play tanks.

It's funny how 99% of people who complain in the pvp forums don't mention specific issues with specific classes or specific abilities, and don't mention specific solutions. They don't even post a link to a video to show examples, or to ask a simple question like "What's going on here?"

Instead, we have "I feel blah blah blah, I want blah blah blah."

Jugg tanks are the kings of pvp tanking, because of their dcds. They also happen to be the worse class/spec in the game for aoe spamming, because their aoe spamming ability hits for less than their basic rage builder, and spreads only in a cone, on a class with low mobility.

So what class and abilities are you actually talking about? Try and avoid "feelings" "likes" and having "less respect" in your answer, if you want the forum's respect for actually having a constructive post.

It's funny how 99% of people who complain in the pvp forums don't mention specific issues with specific classes or specific abilities, and don't mention specific solutions. They don't even post a link to a video to show examples, or to ask a simple question like "What's going on here?"

Instead, we have "I feel blah blah blah, I want blah blah blah."

Jugg tanks are the kings of pvp tanking, because of their dcds. They also happen to be the worse class/spec in the game for aoe spamming, because their aoe spamming ability hits for less than their basic rage builder, and spreads only in a cone, on a class with low mobility.

So what class and abilities are you actually talking about? Try and avoid "feelings" "likes" and having "less respect" in your answer, if you want the forum's respect for actually having a constructive post.

Yeah, that was a first rate cry post...

My 2 cents, for what little its worth, tanks in tank gear are working as intended in general. The high dps issue occurs as a result of running dps gear, which personally I havent done since the crit/shield changes. I also don't tank ranked.

The point of ranked is to kill the enemy team before they kill you, so any dps you can eke out is better than the marginal at best defense provided by tank gear.

I strongly disapprove of nerfing tank damage generally over what is primarily a gearing phenomenon in PVP (because of, for example, the fact that PvE tanks do not have an issue doing too much damage, and a general nerf would affect PVE too) Encourage tanks to use tank gear, or discourage tanks from using dps gear, and see if tanks running tank gear makes the problem go away.

This is going to date me, but I am going to do it anyway. Back in the days when EQ was (relatively) popular, there were tanks that used gear that was not designed for them. It felt wrong for a tank to be using cloth, but the stats were worth more than the marginal mitigation a few extra points of armor could afford. This created problems for cloth wearing classes because now tanks were competing for prized cloth items that casters ALSO needed. The details on their corrective action escape me, but eventually tanks were using plate again. Fortunately there is no gear competition in TOR, but it also means that correcting the problem isn't as urgent.

Given that ttk is so atrociously long now perhaps the solution is simply increasing the dps of most classes a bit, while not adjusting dps for tanks (tanks...as in just the tank specs, not Guardians as a whole, or Vanguards as a whole) at all. Instead adjust tank mitigation some, such that those using DPS mods are caught in the middle and doing sub-optimally at both.

It would also be great to adjust dps for Combat Sentinels a LOT...pipe dreams, I know. A sentinel can dream.

Just spit balling. Maybe my bad suggestion will inspire a good suggestion that could lead to a real solution.

The point i was trying to make is:

Don't simply nerf tank dps when the closest to op is guardian tank, with force bound (which I wouldnt know, because I don't have that set and never will). I have PVPed on VG tanks and suffice to say they need buffs if anything, especially if gear is reworked to force them to run a defensive set. Shadows, I don't pvp tank with (and are my least favorite tank generally, not fond of cheesing even in pve).

If ttk is too high, I argue it has little to do with tanks and more to do with the fact that most dps specs have 15 ways to escape or heal. Which is probably also difficult to adjust without affecting non-pvp modes of play.