Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Imagine if Bioware put this sort of effort into swtor

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Imagine if Bioware put this sort of effort into swtor

ZionHalcyon
07.07.2019 , 12:47 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Rolodome View Post
You make that all sound like it's a series of incredible feats. They are attempting to make better the system of gear acquisition that they broke in the last system. They are going back to rep-sith war after the other stuff wasn't received very well. They are addressing "fan concerns" here and there, but it's obvious how piecemeal it is and how little resources they have to devote to any of it. And some of the most important things they are "improving" are things that they broke that were fine as they were before they broke them.

I give them credit for trying, but for heaven's sake... blind? An expansion that fixes some issues they created in the last one and adds a bit more new content is not going to inject new life into this game. If done well, it might bring back some old life. It's a step forward (assuming it's done well), but the rate it's taking to address stuff is way too slow.
I'm sorry. Care to tell me which expansion that was made under Keith's direction you have played that was so "piecemeal"?

Because curiously, Onslaught is his first and it's not even released yet, so I have to wonder where your feedback comes from, if not your own biases?

ZionHalcyon
07.07.2019 , 12:59 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
My OP wasnít to detract from the current team who Iím sure will try to give us the best they can with the expansion.

The issue is funding and bringing more talent and resources on board. Unless EAware have recently hired a 100 new staff to just work on swtor, then we have the same small team weíve had for the last 18 months. There is only so much they can do with such a limited team, which also limits the amount of talent they have onboard,

When they originally made the game, they had 8-10 writers of high caliber like Charles to write each class story and the over all canon of the game. Now we just have 1x Charles and maybe a few offsider interns or newbies (not saying they donít have talent, just that there are limits and experience to consider).

There is also the question of QA. I donít think anyone could disagree that QA and bug testing is more amateur or skimmed at best. Itís plainly obvious they donít have these resources to find the bugs and then fix them. Even bugs found on the PTS or after things go live, they donít have the resources to fix them all or even half most of the time. Some are never fixed and other seem to take months.

Then you have the problem with the actual game engine. There is absolutely nothing this team can do about working with such mish mashed system. They have admitted themselves that they have to try and work out what the original coders did. I think this is one of the main reasons for all the unforeseen bugs and breaking thing that werenít broken before.

If EAware really wanted to invest and make this game the gold standard it deserves. They would need to deploy a new game engine, which is a monumental job and would probably take a 100 people to do in a timely manner,
I believe it took Square Enix 18 months to rebuild and relaunch FFXIV and 9 months the game was off line,

It would probably be better and maybe easier to make SW:TOR 2 and reduce development of this game even more. But they would need to announce to fans their intention to do that. I canít imagine anyone would be too upset if they knew all future resources were going into SW:TOR 2 or a total game engine port / rebuild + new story and features.
Itís my opinion that it would have been better to do that than make Anthem. SW is a known IP and entity, even if itís a flop, itís still got the IP behind it to allow it to be fixed. Anthem was an unknown and people have abandoned it faster than the titanic. The launching an unknown IP and another clone (of another game) was always going to be riskier than making this game better or making SW:TOR 2.
I give Anthem a few years and it will go the way of Wild Star (closes down), which was arguably a better game than what Anthem is or can be.

The Star Wars old Republic story still has so much to be told or expanded on. They could go 100 or more years past the current gameís timeline.
Youíve got the rebuilding of both the Repubilic, the Empire, the Jedi, the Sith, the Hutts and the Mandoís. These stories could be the basis of where a new game could start.
Here is why I find that assessment curious.

Everyone just assumes that Bioware still has the same small understaffed team.

It's almost like a comfort blanket, a go-to when players want something to fall back on without needing to think in terms of their dissatisfaction with the game.

The problem I have with that is two-fold.

The first is that it is usually said not as an accurate representation but merely as a symbolic dissatisfaction at the pace of things. The other is that the players who usually make the statements do not keep track of whom BioWare hires.

So let me let you in on something:

When Keith was put in charge, BioWare Austin started hiring again. Now the team will never be as big as it was at launch. That's just the nature of MMO's. However the team is larger if the Spate of now hiring listings BioWare Austin had is any indication, then at any point post vanilla team. And those BioWare Austin ads were not for anthem. There were others for Anthem absolutely, but these were all specifically for swtor.

Is someone who can connect the dots, they were hiring to bring on staff to develop for Onslaught. Which means they didn't have to barebones the expansion themselves but got help.

That is why I'm having a hard time with this thread. There is ample evidence out there that BioWare Austin did indeed beef up their staff and were allowed to do so by EA, when Keith took over.

That doesn't mean the expansion will be good. One thing I don't know is how many writers they have, but Charles Boyd is my least favorite given his penchant in the past for pissing all over the vanilla game and it's stories, Be it kotfe or the meaningless companion reunions stories where are companions who we've missed end up is window dressing after a tiny cut scene, who are the Nathema conspiracy, which was mostly used tie up Loose Ends from the vanilla story so they could be finished and forgotten about in the laziest manner possible.

The quality of the writing frankly is the one thing where you and I have a shared concern. But having played through Ossus a few times, that helped alleviate some of that story anxiety.

Let's just wait until Onslaught before we start making these proclamations.

Rolodome
07.07.2019 , 01:53 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by ZionHalcyon View Post
I'm sorry. Care to tell me which expansion that was made under Keith's direction you have played that was so "piecemeal"?

Because curiously, Onslaught is his first and it's not even released yet, so I have to wonder where your feedback comes from, if not your own biases?
KOTET came out late 2016. It has taken them nearly 3 years to produce another expansion. Do you get where the word piecemeal comes from now? Every other expansion had about a year in-between.

That you can look at such and say I'm biased and blind for not agreeing that Onslaught waves away any concerns about the game's decline is mind-boggling.
Clicky referral link for freebies, read how referral works.

Celise
07.07.2019 , 02:38 AM | #24
It would probably be better and maybe easier to make SW:TOR 2 and reduce development of this game even more. But they would need to announce to fans their intention to do that. I canít imagine anyone would be too upset if they knew all future resources were going into SW:TOR 2 or a total game engine port / rebuild + new story and features.
Itís my opinion that it would have been better to do that than make Anthem. SW is a known IP and entity, even if itís a flop, itís still got the IP behind it to allow it to be fixed. Anthem was an unknown and people have abandoned it faster than the titanic. The launching an unknown IP and another clone (of another game) was always going to be riskier than making this game better or making SW:TOR 2.
I give Anthem a few years and it will go the way of Wild Star (closes down), which was arguably a better game than what Anthem is or can be.

The Star Wars old Republic story still has so much to be told or expanded on. They could go 100 or more years past the current gameís timeline.
Youíve got the rebuilding of both the Repubilic, the Empire, the Jedi, the Sith, the Hutts and the Mandoís. These stories could be the basis of where a new game could start.
SWTOR 2 won't happen for the same reason SWTOR itself isn't getting what it needs. resources, time and effort. Bioware was cut in half a few years ago, Bioware employees reassigned within the EA machine. Assuming such a thing were to happen, to build a new engine takes years, especially one for the mmo scene. Then building up the game, these days it could take anywhere from 6 years to a decade to complete, if SWTOR 2 used the latest Frostbite engine then a few years would be knocked off the top.

then you got to get the whole world sorted out, individual stories, graphics, audio, voice overs and the like, it would probably cost more than SWTOR ever cost to put together and SWTOR is using an engine from 2004 with improvements made over time.

If SWTOR 2 was ever to come, it won't be with EA, but another AAA game development/publishing company that is willing to throw hundreds of millions into such a game and have all the right people in the right place, along with the IP. So long as EA holds on to that contract, there isn't much else to be done.

Sarlegant
07.07.2019 , 02:45 AM | #25
Actually I think the story is confused, going back to republic versus Empire. My pubside toons know Acina dies, Vorwaan however itís spelled, leads the Empire, Mace leads the Republic. My Empire toons follow Acina, I guess the Republic is leaderless.

Ossus didnít fix any of that. Itís one thing to know either Torian or Vette died, whichever one survived, both of their stories likely ended. Except, while that should be true about Koth, fact is Koth got a cutscene, is alive. Theron seems alive too. My point is, theyíre not following their own story. And here comes Malgus, again. I was sure he was dead.

That gives me doubt. Of course, if Maul being cut in half didnít kill him, surely the fall did, but he lived. Seems itís just Star Wars in general. Why exactly would I believe Valkorian is dead?

Who is winning Dantooine? Anyway, I know we could be moving to just another new badder bad guy, but is that worse than just fighting the same old bad guy and second and third time.

Iíd love to see our stories moving forward again. End the alliance, or use it. If the alliance is just gonna defensive posture, then end it. Give me my army, then I will know if Dantooine was won or lost.

Move forward. KoToR has been milked for all it had. Quit writing this both sides won nonsense. Donít keep pulling Koth and Malgus on us. Dead or alive, but not both.

I am looking forward to Onslaught, but I canít quite get on board this new hope for the future ride just yet.

UmbralSpirit
07.07.2019 , 04:30 AM | #26
Found this
So in february he says in an interview how much he loves EA in april he announces he's stepping down? Bummer, guess EA isn't as safe as i thought.

Nemmar
07.07.2019 , 05:39 AM | #27
Yes, just like it happened with ESO, if EA were willing to finance and release new expansions every 2 years. Like, proper expansions, not the kind we have had wich are more akin to large patches, and made sure the game was optimized to run without hiccups, this game would too see a resurgence.

Problem is EA doesn't understand how live services work. They want all the money but none of the commitment/investment. Well, that's not how this works. FFXIV and ESO show how you can recover and are actually growing cause of that.

Btw, this game is NOT following the WoW model. I want to make that completely clear. FFXIV IS in fact following the WoW model. The WoW model works. A sub and an expansion every 2 years with some content patches in between. That is exactly what this game could use. That will net you a million active subbed players no doubt.

ZionHalcyon
07.07.2019 , 07:49 AM | #28
KOTET came out late 2016. It has taken them nearly 3 years to produce another expansion. Do you get where the word piecemeal comes from now? Every other expansion had about a year in-between.

That you can look at such and say I'm biased and blind for not agreeing that Onslaught waves away any concerns about the game's decline is mind-boggling.
Kotet was done under a different producer.

I am saying you are judging the sins of Prior producers against the one we have now. You may ultimately be right but your discernment is a bit premature.

Rolodome
07.07.2019 , 03:14 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by ZionHalcyon View Post
Kotet was done under a different producer.

I am saying you are judging the sins of Prior producers against the one we have now. You may ultimately be right but your discernment is a bit premature.
I guess I'm not being clear. In this particular case, I'm not judging the producer, I'm judging the pace of content and what kind of content is not getting put out. Keith could be the best one the game has ever had, but if he doesn't have the budget to go above and beyond because other producers screwed up, it may not matter much in the end.
Clicky referral link for freebies, read how referral works.

olagatonjedi
07.07.2019 , 03:50 PM | #30
I guess I'm not being clear. In this particular case, I'm not judging the producer, I'm judging the pace of content and what kind of content is not getting put out. Keith could be the best one the game has ever had, but if he doesn't have the budget to go above and beyond because other producers screwed up, it may not matter much in the end.
Keith will do the best he can with the budget hes been given. And still nothing he adds can guarantee success. Even if he truly works wonders, nothing guarantees the playerbase will appreciate it either.