Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Imagine if Bioware put this sort of effort into swtor

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Imagine if Bioware put this sort of effort into swtor

TrixxieTriss
07.06.2019 , 02:54 AM | #1
I’ve just been reading about some of the latest MMO games and expansion around and it seems FF are building on more success with the latest one.
https://www.cgmagonline.com/reviews/...medium=ios_app
The amount of effort and love and money that goes into this game with the “sole” purpose of player enjoyment is why it’s still gaining more players after all these years after an extremely rocky start at launch. They now have over 16million players and growing.

Now I ask you all to imagine if Bioware were to start following the FF model instead of the WoW model. Not only could this game be better, it could be epic.
This is Star Wars, arguably the biggest and most famous IP of all time across many media platforms. The fan following would be in the 100’s of million and stretches across 42 years.
This game’s development since launch and EAs lack of funding has lacked vision of what this game could be.

There have been great SW games in the past and swtor could have been a WoW and FF killer if it had been given the support and talent and drive to make it happen. Instead, because it wasn’t a WoW killer out of the gate, EA decided it was a failure and quickly fired or moved talent away from it. Then made it a F2P model without even giving the game a chance to turn itself around.
FFXIV was an even bigger flop when it was released and nearly killed the franchise. But they didn’t give up, they listened to their players and made the hard decision to remake and relaunch the game. Now it’s one of the most successful and best MMO’s of all time because they made that hard decision.

Now I’m not trying to detract from the current swtor team. They can only work with what they are given and within those confines. They have to work with a broken system and engine that throws out more bugs than it should everytime they try to improve the game or add new content.

What is needed is someone in EA to have the guts and vision to say, “swtor should be the best MMO on the market. What do we need to do to make that happen?”
Then get the funds, the talent and management to make it happen. If that means remaking it on a new engine, then so be it. If that means making swtor 2 because swtor is a dead horse, then they should go for it.
Imagine if all that money, resources and talent that they threw into Anthem over the years had instead just come to swtor and Anthem never happen.
IMO Anthem has been a monumental failure and mistake.
Bioware already had a rough diamond in swtor. If they’d just kept at it, it could have been the best MMO around.

Anyway, I just wanted to highlight what another game company was able to do to resurrect a dead game and make it arguably one of the most successful and best MMOs around because they had the will to do so.

I mean, common Bioware. This is Star Wars. This game should be the gold standard of MMOs and should have the support and funding to make it happen.
I know the guys who are working on it are passionate, but you can’t expect them to build a skyscraper with some sticky tape and a few used off cuts of wood. Passion alone can’t make this game greater than it is. You need a bigger team and more talent with the funds to make a game that concentrates on fun for the players and not the bottom line. It’s like the old saying, “if you build it they will come”. Make a game the players want and deserve and financial success will follow.

TonyTricicolo
07.06.2019 , 04:03 AM | #2
Trixie, that ship has long since sailed. The what ifs only cause frustration. They were given the golden IP and they mismanaged it. Best thing is to hope for a new company that doesn't have to deal with greed mongering overloads to make a new Star Wars game. If it were up to me, it would take the crafting, open world sandbox, class less system of SWG, the storytelling, voice acting, and cutscenes of SWTOR, and the graphics of Battlefront. But Hey, 2023 is right around the corner...
STRYDER SWG Sunrunner/SWGLegends
TONY NOVA SWTOR Shadowlands/Star Forge
Referral Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/vNnj3G

UmbralSpirit
07.06.2019 , 04:57 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by TonyTricicolo View Post
But Hey, 2023 is right around the corner...
EA isn't going to lose the license, not as long as Bob Iger is in charge of Disney.

TrixxieTriss
07.06.2019 , 05:41 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by UmbralSpirit View Post
EA isn't going to lose the license, not as long as Bob Iger is in charge of Disney.
Found this

Quote:
In April 2019, it was announced that Iger will depart from his position as CEO and chairman of Disney when his contract expires in 2021

FlameYOL
07.06.2019 , 08:08 AM | #5
That ship has sailed, sure the game could be doing a lot better if EA would invest more heavily into it but that's not going to happen. And thinking about it will only frustrate us even further, it's not so much as ignoring the issue but recognizing the solution just isn't possible. Because EA would rather invest elsewhere.
A man can have anything...If he's willing to sacrifice everything

Celise
07.06.2019 , 08:54 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
I’ve just been reading about some of the latest MMO games and expansion around and it seems FF are building on more success with the latest one.
https://www.cgmagonline.com/reviews/...medium=ios_app
The amount of effort and love and money that goes into this game with the “sole” purpose of player enjoyment is why it’s still gaining more players after all these years after an extremely rocky start at launch. They now have over 16million players and growing.

Now I ask you all to imagine if Bioware were to start following the FF model instead of the WoW model. Not only could this game be better, it could be epic.
This is Star Wars, arguably the biggest and most famous IP of all time across many media platforms. The fan following would be in the 100’s of million and stretches across 42 years.
This game’s development since launch and EAs lack of funding has lacked vision of what this game could be.
I stopped following the comment after this point because it just won't happen. I said it on another thread, EA isn't a charity case, they won't throw untimited funds into a game which for all intents and purposes hasn't seen much activity over the last few years and yes as someone else said, it was badly mismanaged (Galactic command is the biggest of those mistakes and decisions).

Don't mistake my reaction for someone who doesn't care about the direction of the game, i want to see SWTOR continue and do well, but unless EA changes tack and get the game and Bioware out of this hole, for now this is all we got to deal with unfortunately.

Telaan
07.06.2019 , 09:19 AM | #7
EA/BW was repeatedly warned during beta about the fundamental issues the game was facing by those of us who closed tested the game. While they might’ve had the talent and muscle back then to put large scale ideas into reality, they lacked the leadership to make sound decisions. We warned them the game needed some major changes/additions and, at minimum, an additional six months of development time. The original Ilum was awesome, but needed to be fleshed out better; it needed more late/end game testing and less early/mid game testing; it needed more content at endgame for both pvp and pve...too much focus was on “hey just level these classes to 50”.

After launch, the holes that we pointed out began to leak with a couple weeks. It earned the nickname TORtanic and hemorrhaged subs. Rather than fix great ideas, that unfortunately had some flaws, they scrapped them entirely (looking at you Ilum); or promised to reimplement them in short order and never following through. This caused even more subs to be lost. The early dev team while talented, was inept. Potentially even worse than inept, they were untrustworthy. In a market that had become saturated with MMOs, players weren’t going to hang out simply because it was Star Wars. They moved on. It’s unfortunate as the game truly does have so much potential. But as you said, as soon as it was dubbed the TORtanic, EA essentially stopped supporting it in a short period of time.
Kype Lightwave/Telaan Lightwave -Pot5- "Pistols' RP Apprentice"
Telaan Lightwave Pre-CU Jedi Knight -JKO- Bloodfin
Master LS/Master Healer/Enhancer 4xx4

OlBuzzard
07.06.2019 , 09:48 AM | #8
I personally believe that the game has the potential of growth and doing well.

Potential: having or showing the capacity to become or develop into something in the future
or:
latent qualities or abilities that may be developed and lead to future success or usefulness.

And while some blame EA and BW primarily for the difficulties I question that up to a point. IMO there is enough blame to go around. BUT IMO... there is perhaps another issue at large. IMO.. none of us see it. I personally believe that those who are doing the day to day grind of work ... ( I mean the RL stuff .. not game grind for stuff we want) really are talented and are doing the best that they can with the time and resource that they have available. I can't help but to wonder how much of Disney's overshadowing affects things in game.

BW ... IMO = a lot of hard working folks like anywhere else. They're just doing their respective jobs.

EA ... unknown .. but definitely with a substantial amount of control over the purse strings and consequently the bottom line.

This game has a huge potential. And for the record... I've seen this exact same scenario at least twice before.

Hopefully this time the game can grow past the politics** (see note) that seemingly overshadows so much and get back to where the game and having fun can once again become the real priority. If I didn't think it wre possible.. I wouldn't be here right now !

** (note):

Definition:
poly: origin, Greek: Much or (polli) many
tics: blood sucking insects !!!
(████████████████████████████]:|█[ioi]█[|||████]|█|

ZionHalcyon
07.06.2019 , 10:57 AM | #9
So for history of the game, understand that BioWare at the time of beta wanted to postpone launch but was forced to go through with it by EA. The BioWare of that time knew there were issues.

So launch kicked off, didn't go as well as EA wanted, and EA demanded that BioWare stop doing class stories because it was too expensive.

Under that pressure, the two founders of BioWare quit. One resigned and never made games again while the other went on to be head of a different Studio but much smaller.

EA then put one of their Bean counters in charge. From that point those who did not get with the program or let go and there was a massive bunch of layoffs. Every single person who was still fighting to keep class stories in the game was let go.

It's been in this sort of way for a while now with Bean counters running things.

However, Keith is not a bean counter and he is the first one they have put in charge who isn't. If you know anything about MMO development schedules, plans that are made typically take a year to implement. Ossus was a preview of Keith's work and Onslaught will be our first really good look at what Keith is about.

However, looking at the changes they already have announced, and also given the quality of Story for Ossus, I would say the game is finally headed in a proper direction again although how far he can take it we will see. I think what has helped in the matter also is EA's failure to put out decent Star Wars games combined with a lukewarm reception for anthem.

I think that gave a perfect storm for someone who cares about rebuilding the brand like Keith does only way to do what he needs to do to make this game better for the fans.

As it stands now, because of decisions made oh, there are some things that need to happen to get this game really squared away:

* if class stories can never come back in their entirety, then future expansions should follow the pattern set by shadow of Revan and allow for a couple quests to continue that personal feel for each class story.

* companion stories need to matter again. Even if that means weaving companions into the main story, companions absolutely are part of the heart and soul and DNA of what made SWTOR popular. They can no longer just be a rent a bot.

* the developers need to go through kotfe and kotet and rebalance the placement of mobs. It isn't Fun fighting tons of waves of Sky Troopers down a hallway only they have to fight them the same way on the way back. It's tedious and mundane. Less Troopers who awarded more XP is needed. And turn off the damn stealth detection. If a player wants to play his way by sneaking through all those waves as an imperial agent or a Smuggler or a shadow or an assassin, LET THEM.

* on the Polish side of things, all vanilla cutscenes need to be Revisited. We have cutscenes one-way leading up through shadow of Revan and ziost, and then another type of cutscenes and chapter introductions from kotfe onward. It makes the game look disjointed. Go back and revisit the old cutscenes and put them into the kotfe style. That will make the game at least feel more cohesive.

Past those things, I am just eager to see what Onslaught brings us, as they are adopting a play your way mentality for players and I think that can only be a good thing going forward.

JediQuaker
07.06.2019 , 11:23 AM | #10
Everybody always has their own idea of what would make the game great - usually though "great" for themselves.
Or they have there own idea of what is killing the game.
And they just keep posting, over and over and over.
Hold water, a sieve may not, but hold another sieve, it will - Yoda..

Referral code - http://www.swtor.com/r/dZ8wSV