Game Update 7.4.1c coming April 3 ×

252/258 gear for "pure" PVPers

nepochop

So the notes on Duflys say:

Masterwork Shards can be earned from a new “special” weekly mission( (i.e. weekly dailies, weekly flashpoint etc), Ossus Weekly, Unassembled Components (limited time per character per week and gets more expensive the more you do it), and Command Crates

As Charles quickly said, you will be only able to gear 1,2,3 toons before it becomes too expensive to convert the UCs to the new Masterwork Shards. So what is the idea here? You want to make the PVPers only gear a few toons? I mean if I only play the game to PVP will I be limited to have only 3 geared toons? Or spend a VERY long time to gear rest?

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This will suck, so if you dont have a NiM raid group you will be stuck with gearing up using UCs but only until it becomes too expensive. Then you will have to save credits to buy from the crafters who run NiMs. So again the rich will become even richer as maybe only 50-80 people will be successfully running Gods NiM.

The prices for the crafted gear will be astronomical, as will the sales runs be.

This is terrible.

Bioware should cap the PvP stats at 248 (i.e.gesr higher than 248 will be bought down to 248) OR make this gear available through PvP. I only ever do warzones, but I will venture out into Ranked if I have to. I will NEVER do a 4 hour operation though - 15 mins Voidstars already feel too long.

Or a 258 bolster.

The recent PvP updates were nice but new T5 gear is going to be leaving with me a VERY sour taste if the only way to craft them is to do NiM ops.

This is terrible.

Bioware should cap the PvP stats at 248 (i.e.gesr higher than 248 will be bought down to 248) OR make this gear available through PvP. I only ever do warzones, but I will venture out into Ranked if I have to. I will NEVER do a 4 hour operation though - 15 mins Voidstars already feel too long.

Or a 258 bolster.

The recent PvP updates were nice but new T5 gear is going to be leaving with me a VERY sour taste if the only way to craft them is to do NiM ops.

I feel the same. Pretty much 90% of my time in WZ. I don't like arenas much , and I never have enough spare time to do ops - since I'd have to commit a lot of time to learn them and be in a regular raid group to benefit.

I'm hoping that a few spins around the new daily area and a big stack of UCs will see me okay. If not, then It might be time to hang up my glove for good.

For the record I'm working only from the bullet points as listed on Dulfy http://dulfy.net/2018/10/11/swtor-patch-5-10-developer-livestream-notes-coverage/ regarding the changes in-store for gearing in 5.10

I'm of a mixed view here. It's probably because I was a HM/NiM Progression raider before becoming a solely PVPer when 5.0 hit, I do think BIS gearing shouldn't be easy, that it should be a slow process and should be earning only doing end game group content. At the same time, I know and respect the fact that PVPers simply aren't use to that sort of gearing and really for them gearing is more of an after thought and not a part of the PVP experience. That they made gear universal and the same for PVEers and PVPErs makes these view points incompatable.

In the overall, I have no problem with this proposed system. I'm probably further the odd man out in that I absolutely loving gearing, it makes things more exciting for me and gives further breath to content I've already done a gazillion times over and would be thrilled if they released new gear tiers more frequently.

I'm a little surprised people seem quite so unhappy with this development as it is in fact much better than a lot of people, especially PVPers were so concerned about as people have been siting that they were worried the new gear would only be obtainable in NiM Operations/Crafting and didn't want to be in a position of having to play in an area they didn't have any interest in and were saying that PVPers should be able to earn the new gear only doing PVP, which with this proposed system does seem to be the case.

For me, this is nothing, I'm sitting on over 50k UCs because I've had no use for the for so long because I've been fully geared for so long [naturally not everyone is sitting on so many UCs so that's a very different circumstance that those who haven't stockpiled so many UCs]. As far as it being harder to BIS a lot more alts, again, I think my perspective is not in line with most others are expressing here, as I think it should take a long time to BIS a lot of alts. There shouldn't be 'price breaks' for gearing alts, it should be the same difficulty on every single alt. - If you have 14 alts it should take 14 times as long as 1 toon to BIS gear them all.

There will be two new teirs, that you can get the new gear with UCs only, I'm not sure where the "added" expense issue is coming from. That would be an issue if the new gear was only obtainable from crafting as we originally thought, so this seems like a much better development than many people who were concerned about. It's not only from NiM OPs, it's not only from crafting and credit purchases [ so that whole P2W campaign can no longer be suggested.

Again, I do sympathize, I know that's just not something PVPers are accustomed to and that's why I was hoping they would bring PVP gear back like it was with expertise gear. Fast and easy to get, made the level playing field in pvp so it was just about skill, and made making class adjustments for PVP and PVE seperate so you could address issues existing in one style of play without having any negative effects resulting in the other style of play. It's in part part of the reason class balance in 5.x has been so God awful.

So to sum up. 252 and 258 gear can be obtained by: Crafting, Reputation vendor via Masterwork Shards, Masterwork shards can be bought with UCs , Ossus "weekly" missions, and from command crates [ which in reality means you can still earn it not doing end game group content I spose, so ix-nay the earlier point] - the 252 gear will also be obtainable in command crates but that's not BIS anyways. Not knowing the conversion rates between UCs and Masterwork shards may be a bit concerning however as we don't know if that conversion rate will make the UC route painfully long or not at this point [unless the conversion rate has been released and I'm just unaware of it].

This seems to me to be better than what a lot of the speculation has been touting. Again, I recognize that my perspective is not in keeping with what many PVPers hold and really the perspective of the majority should be taken with greater merit than that of an individual and It's better to make the majority happy so any changes PVPers think are more in order to PVP I would support. I really do still think things would be much better for PVP is we have PVP gear again. That's a win/win for everyone far as I see it. Sure, there is the issue of having to have multiple sets of gear and the added expenditure of having to aug out a second set of gear. In 4.0 when I was still a raider I has to do that myself and I really didn't mind it at all, but again that's just me. - I am very happy about the new gear, I'm thrilled actually, makes the same ole same ole a lot more exciting for me and gives me purpose again [not that killing people isn't it's own reward, it most certainly is =] ].

I am sorry for those who aren't happy about it, I do understand the reasoning behind it for some, and any changes proposed and supported by the majority I will support for the sake of the PVP community as a whole. A happier community is a bigger community.

As Charles quickly said, you will be only able to gear 1,2,3 toons before it becomes too expensive to convert the UCs to the new Masterwork Shards. So what is the idea here? You want to make the PVPers only gear a few toons? I mean if I only play the game to PVP will I be limited to have only 3 geared toons? Or spend a VERY long time to gear rest?

Where did it say "(limited time per character per week and gets more expensive the more you do it),", I'm working from the same source http://dulfy.net/2018/10/11/swtor-patch-5-10-developer-livestream-notes-coverage/ and it doesn't make any mention of that in the bullet points only says "Masterwork shards can be earned from a new special weekly mission, Ossus weekly, Unassembeled components, and command crates." It doesn't make any mention of limited per character per week with regard to UCs. Are you referring just to the new weekly special mission mastershards? If that is the case that would only be in regard to that, but not weekly limits on unassembled component conversions.

As I am only working from the bullet points listed on dulfy at the above address, perhaps it is stated in a more indepth overview of 5.10 and I am simply unaware of it. If you can point me in the direction where this is stated I'd like to see what we will be working with if that's the case as that may drastically alter my opinion on it.

Edited by WayOfTheWarriorx

I do feel we kind of brought this upon ourselves because in Ranked you have farming groups which make Ranked rewards really easy to gain with a 8 man group even if no one knows how to play PvP. Warzones are well, warzones and they've never had any serious rewards to them. As a PvPer I'm at a loss on how they can make this new tier of gear available to PvPers but also remain hard to get.

Which is why I think they should either give a 258 bolster or 248 under-bolster.

As I am only working from the bullet points listed on dulfy at the above address, perhaps it is stated in a more indepth overview of 5.10 and I am simply unaware of it. If you can point me in the direction where this is stated I'd like to see what we will be working with if that's the case as that may drastically alter my opinion on it.

For that you need to watch the stream itself, they were talking 90 minutes so they said much more info than Dulfy has published in her notes :)

Charles said that there will be some weekly time limit so that you can only buy maybe a few gear pieces so that the gearing takes weeks even if you have 100k UCs. So if you would be gearing purely from UCs it will take you time and there is also this price increase where it will become too much after a few weeks to buy new gear. This will basically force pure PVPers to go do PVE stuff for faster gear gain.

I do feel we kind of brought this upon ourselves because in Ranked you have farming groups which make Ranked rewards really easy to gain with a 8 man group even if no one knows how to play PvP. Warzones are well, warzones and they've never had any serious rewards to them. As a PvPer I'm at a loss on how they can make this new tier of gear available to PvPers but also remain hard to get.

Group ranked rewards have completely messed up that format of the game. You can see it by rating the players have reached 2200+ ratings by mainly farming mat farmers, this is so silly.

For that you need to watch the stream itself, they were talking 90 minutes so they said much more info than Dulfy has published in her notes :)

Charles said that there will be some weekly time limit so that you can only buy maybe a few gear pieces so that the gearing takes weeks even if you have 100k UCs. So if you would be gearing purely from UCs it will take you time and there is also this price increase where it will become too much after a few weeks to buy new gear. This will basically force pure PVPers to go do PVE stuff for faster gear gain.

You have to grind reputation too on top of everything else.You can't just buy the piece of gear and equip it.This new gearing system is so f****d up, i am out of words.

You have to grind reputation too on top of everything else.You can't just buy the piece of gear and equip it.This new gearing system is so f****d up, i am out of words.

Yes indeed, from the viewpoint of PVPers this is really bad. You are only fine if you are in one of the few NiM guilds since they can be running the ops at NiM level and farm shards and mats, which will give them access to unlimited gear in the first days of the operation.

They will also get PTS to train for the fights so people will more or less one shot the bosses when they come live and only farm gear, then get billions from the people in game for selling them gear.

Group ranked rewards have completely messed up that format of the game. You can see it by rating the players have reached 2200+ ratings by mainly farming mat farmers, this is so silly.

True, but mat farmers are in my opinion probably the only reason why there still are group ranked. I think after BW changes mechanics and PvE players won't have to endure the TR farm humiliation, the queue will be pretty much over. Only the same 20 guys battling each other over and over again. Twice per week. Hating and shaming anybody new out of the queue. Mat farmers will be replaced by friendlies on alts as it will be extremely easy to sync queue with nobody else online. All you need is eight buddies(or alts), regardless of gear, skill or anything. Welcome 3k elo again.

I literally just resubbed a few days ago after not playing for a long time because I was bored and just simply had that itch for some swtor pvp......this news literally makes me want to quit again. When I play this game, the majority of the time I pvp. I don't like being forced to pve to be geared for pvp. Hell I don't even want to go near ranked because I don't have 248 gear and the new augments are stupid expensive.

For the love of all that is good, give us pvp gear back in 6.0 and backtrack on these ridiculous augments recipes so they don't cost millions of credits.

This will suck, so if you dont have a NiM raid group you will be stuck with gearing up using UCs but only until it becomes too expensive. Then you will have to save credits to buy from the crafters who run NiMs. So again the rich will become even richer as maybe only 50-80 people will be successfully running Gods NiM.

The prices for the crafted gear will be astronomical, as will the sales runs be.

I hate jumping to conclusions but honestly if this is how it will work, I am done.

They have made RNG such a big facet of their gearing as well as what you get in WZs that it's getting to be not worth the time invested.

You shouldn't have to pray that you get gear drops from stupid RNG crates for months.

PVP experience is heavily influenced by RNG! RNG shouldn't be the predominant factor in what determines the type of WZ match you will get, yet to get a great match you really have to have a perfect storm for the match to be enjoyable. I mean you are dependent on who is on your team; objective players or not, good players or not, who you face - good or not, so many factors involved! Add in the fact RNG also determines what map you get, and it's just way too many uncertainties, it's a big gamble every time you sit in the PVP queue waiting for the match and usually you lose more than you gain due to all the mitigating factors that will determine how your match will go which usually is bad.

No one wants to grind indefinitely off RNG and then on top of that to only be able to gear a few toons properly. They have totally missed the mark with their design direction. They seem intent on pushing the game and it's players into a pigeonhole of not playing alts and relying on hard grinds and RNG to gear up.

None of these factors encourage players to play more, it does the exact opposite! No one wants to invest time into uncertainties and that's what RNG is, and no one wants to grind hardcore for a year just to get a few toons geared... People like to play all of their toons and see progression at a rate they are highly competitive and not gimpy especially for PVP and raiding/PVE.

I am just tired now. Been positive, try to give them the benefit of the doubt but I am feeling like this next big patch is going to be just like 5.0 was for me. 5.0 crushed my desire to play and it took me nearly two years to get over my resentment of 5.0 and come back. If they beat me away again like they did with 5.0, I am most likely done here.

Maybe they know something I don't, and feel that this direction will liken the chances of SWTOR improving in the long run but I don't see it.

Fine by me if I can buy the gear with UC's by trading in master shards or what... I have over 45k UC's anyway. The only mystery is how much will the new gears cost.

Furthermore, I play only one character for years now....

It gets more expensive every time you use UC.

I hate jumping to conclusions but honestly if this is how it will work, I am done.

I am afraid that this is what they said how it will be. The only thing we miss is the info on the conversion rate, how it will increase, the weekly limit. Thats pretty much all missing info.

True, but mat farmers are in my opinion probably the only reason why there still are group ranked. I think after BW changes mechanics and PvE players won't have to endure the TR farm humiliation, the queue will be pretty much over. Only the same 20 guys battling each other over and over again. Twice per week. Hating and shaming anybody new out of the queue. Mat farmers will be replaced by friendlies on alts as it will be extremely easy to sync queue with nobody else online. All you need is eight buddies(or alts), regardless of gear, skill or anything. Welcome 3k elo again.

But not the 20 guys have 2000+ rating cause they farmed those farmers. I seriously doubt they would play real matches against the other good teams :)

Please write it in general discussion not pvp forum since devs never read pvp forum